HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Maurice to Interview for Isles Job

Old
07-21-2008, 06:50 AM
JenDub33

vCash: 500
Maurice to Interview for Isles Job

http://sportsnet.ca/thewire/hockey/2..._to_interview/

Sorry Isles fans...

JenDub33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 06:58 AM
Pfft

vCash: 50
Who they choose may go a long way in showing us how dedicated they are to building through the draft.

Pfft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 08:32 AM
Shoalzie
It's Not Complicated

Why not talk to Tortorella?

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenDub33 View Post
Please. Maurice was one of the last items on the list as far as Leafs problems go.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 08:45 AM
CrossbarSniper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Why not talk to Tortorella?
Too lazy to read the column?

"The list of confirmed Islanders coaching candidates now numbers seven. Besides Maurice, the list includes former Tampa Bay coach John Tortorella and his assistant, Mike Sullivan, both of whom have received permission from the Lightning to interview. Snow still is waiting for approval to interview former Atlanta coach Bob Hartley and current Providence Bruins coach Scott Gordon in Boston's organization. Former Colorado coach Joel Quenneville is a free agent who requires no approval from his former team. Snow said he also told current Islanders assistant Gerard Gallant, who previously coached Columbus, that he will have a chance to interview for the top job sometime in the next two weeks. "

CrossbarSniper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Please. Maurice was one of the last items on the list as far as Leafs problems go.
No. He was a leafs problem. He won't be so much an Isles problem though.

The thing with the Leafs is they couldn't really stray much from specific lines to succeed. Which is fine, it was pretty easy just from watching the games to figure out how our team would have best looked last year. There were 4 clear cut lines.

However - Maurice likes to spend a lot of time mashing things around. Which most coaches should - but he did it ALL YEAR, for BOTH years, and it would bite him in the ass.

For example, Ponikarovsky was not needed to forecheck on a line with Antropov and Sundin...that line already has beef on it. Steen has unfathomable stats with Sundin, yet again this year played about 12 games on his wing. Even if he kept PSA together, Steen, Stajan, and Blake also worked quite well, the only thing that worked for Blake last year, even, and he broke up that within 3 games!

Another big issue is the fact of one Andy Wozniewski. For those who don't believe us leafs fans - he really was the worst defenceman in the NHL. Yes there are the Leafs fan McCabe haters, but they only hate him because he makes so much. He was still a decent defenceman. Wozniewski however wasn't even worth his 500k last year, and the issue with this is he was played second pair, while Anton Stralman (who was very good when he was with the main team) rotted on the Marlies. In fact, its well known for several practices, Maurice even had Woz playing forward (ON HIS SECOND LINE). I don't know what the obsession with the $500,000 ******* was, but I can honestly say putting Woz in for Stralman ALONE cost the leafs at least 8 points in the standings last year, IMHO.

However, the New York Islanders seem to, in my eyes, have a roster that can be shuffled around more - there doesn't seem to be a top 12 and top 6 that is UNIVERSALLY obvious (seriously, even a casual leafs fan could make up their lineup blindfolded last season). He also seems to also carry some of Nolan's hard work and conditioning virtues. So do I think he'd be good for the New York Islanders? I think he would not just be good, he'd be the best coach available.

But to tell me he wasn't a major at fault for the Leafs season last year is a flat out lie.

Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
No. He was a leafs problem. He won't be so much an Isles problem though.

The thing with the Leafs is they couldn't really stray much from specific lines to succeed. Which is fine, it was pretty easy just from watching the games to figure out how our team would have best looked last year. There were 4 clear cut lines.

However - Maurice likes to spend a lot of time mashing things around. Which most coaches should - but he did it ALL YEAR, for BOTH years, and it would bite him in the ass.

For example, Ponikarovsky was not needed to forecheck on a line with Antropov and Sundin...that line already has beef on it. Steen has unfathomable stats with Sundin, yet again this year played about 12 games on his wing. Even if he kept PSA together, Steen, Stajan, and Blake also worked quite well, the only thing that worked for Blake last year, even, and he broke up that within 3 games!

Another big issue is the fact of one Andy Wozniewski. For those who don't believe us leafs fans - he really was the worst defenceman in the NHL. Yes there are the Leafs fan McCabe haters, but they only hate him because he makes so much. He was still a decent defenceman. Wozniewski however wasn't even worth his 500k last year, and the issue with this is he was played second pair, while Anton Stralman (who was very good when he was with the main team) rotted on the Marlies. In fact, its well known for several practices, Maurice even had Woz playing forward (ON HIS SECOND LINE). I don't know what the obsession with the $500,000 ******* was, but I can honestly say putting Woz in for Stralman ALONE cost the leafs at least 8 points in the standings last year, IMHO.

However, the New York Islanders seem to, in my eyes, have a roster that can be shuffled around more - there doesn't seem to be a top 12 and top 6 that is UNIVERSALLY obvious (seriously, even a casual leafs fan could make up their lineup blindfolded last season). He also seems to also carry some of Nolan's hard work and conditioning virtues. So do I think he'd be good for the New York Islanders? I think he would not just be good, he'd be the best coach available.

But to tell me he wasn't a major at fault for the Leafs season last year is a flat out lie.
Many coaches make unfathomable lineup and line pairing choices throughout the year. As fans, I don't think we have the insight to really judge it right or wrong. However, I agree with you on Woz, he doesn't belong anywhere near the NHL.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:09 AM
JenDub33

Quote:
Leafs team last year was horrid .. given Maurice didn't have a lot to work with, IMO he made the little that he did have even worse.

The Isles are in a position where Nolan took a team that "on paper" looked horrible and yet he made them a respectable team.

So here Maurice goes again (possibly) with a team that doesn't have " a lot" and, unlike Nolan, will not take them anywhere

Guess they want to challenge our run at Tavares

Old
07-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Hyperkookeez*

tortorella doesnt take **** from no one

him and wang might butt heads

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:17 AM
JenDub33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman99 View Post

Thats another thing about Maurice... Wang will love him... Mau just sat back and dealt with the insanity thats called MLSE and all the "influencing" they do with the team, he will be Wangs little puppet

Old
07-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Shoalzie
It's Not Complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossbarSniper View Post
Too lazy to read the column?

Isn't it obvious?

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:

Good one.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenDub33 View Post
Leafs team last year was horrid .. given Maurice didn't have a lot to work with, IMO he made the little that he did have even worse.

The Isles are in a position where Nolan took a team that "on paper" looked horrible and yet he made them a respectable team.

So here Maurice goes again (possibly) with a team that doesn't have " a lot" and, unlike Nolan, will not take them anywhere

Guess they want to challenge our run at Tavares
Maurice in Isles, is it a done deal?

I respect Paul Maurice and still think he is a fine coach (maybe not for the current Maple Leafs), but the Isles need a more vocal and energetic coach (à la Therrien)

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:40 PM
In Exisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy View Post
Maurice in Isles, is it a done deal?

I respect Paul Maurice and still think he is a fine coach (maybe not for the current Maple Leafs), but the Isles need a more vocal and energetic coach (à la Therrien)
Not a done deal.. he's only interviewing today.

If we haven't already gotten Hartley, i don't think we will end up getting him. Tortorella is a great coach, but he's just a bad fit for the team. Gordon is really intriguing, i must say.

In Exisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:20 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU 2014 - Isles Fan

hartley would be my first choice for the new head coach, then quenneville then this scott gordon guy who seems to be a good fit for the isles since we're getting younger and younger

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:25 PM
AM

Hes a good coach.

I think hed be a good fit for the island.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Having watched most if not all of the Maurice coached Leafs games these last couple years, I'm going to have to disagree. I'm not putting the entire blame on his shoulders, but Maurice was one of those guys who could talk the talk, that's probably why I'm guessing a lot of outside people figured he wasn't a major part of the Leafs problems, but when it came time to backing it up, he failed miserably more often than not. Poor penalty kill, poor line choices, poor roster choices, the third period collapses etc.. He was not a good coach. Great personality though.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:51 PM
greatgazoo

Maurice is probably the most over-rated coach in the hockey world. Why does he get so much respect?

Is it because Ferguson Jr. had so many great things to say about him when hired in Toronto?

Is it his horrendous playoff appearnce to playoffs missed record? (Which isn't even close to .500 for his career!)

How about his man-to-man defensive zone system that made the Leafs look like the Keystone Cops last season?

Maybe it's the way he handles the media and makes bold predictions like the doozy last summer when "the Leafs would make the playoffs and compete for the Stanley Cup."

He's clearly not the best coach availbable. He's not even the best assistant available.

Best comedian yes. Best coach no.

greatgazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:56 PM
DPSNAGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman99 View Post

torterella is ******* scary lol but i see the isles hiring maurice, quenville, hartley or another ahl or junior coach to take the job....my money on hartley with the past relationship between him and snow

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Africa.

Woah, Maurice sucks.

Africa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Big#D

Maybe it's just me but I think it's silly to think the Isles would not want to interview as many NHL level coaches as possible to determine which would be the best fit with their organization. It's not like they said that they hired the guy or even that he's the odds-on favourite for the job. They just gave the guy an interview. What's so horrible about that? Do Leafs fans honestly think that Maurice should / will never coach again for the rest of his life?

Big#D is offline   Reply With Quote