HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Shockey traded

Old
07-21-2008, 01:42 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
OT: Shockey traded

As per WFAN on air and foxsports.com, Jeremy Shockey has been traded to the New Orleans Saints for a 2nd and a 5th.... As a Saints fan, I'm happy because Brees had a good rapport with Antonio Gates so he likes to throw to the tight end. Hopefully this is good for the Saints....

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:43 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

vCash: 500
Giants don't need him anymore. Good trade. You never know what draft picks in the NFL can turn into. Hell, they grabbed Mario Manningham at the end of the 3rd round, and I have very high hopes for him.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:49 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Good, hate Shockey. ****** attitude. Too much partying not enough catching the ball.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I liked Shockey, but this is probably good for the team as a whole. Hopefully they lock down Burress now.

By the way, you probably need to post a link, even for this stuff.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:52 PM
NYR Viper

nice.....they got what they wanted for him then as that is what they were holding out for at the draft

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:10 PM
DontStepanMe

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3498795

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I liked him for the first two years, then got tired of his BS. If anything, this puts more balls in the hands of the true playmakers on the field. Not unlike Jagr, though, it does free up other teams' defenses for Plax and Toomer.

I'm going to the Giants Media Luncheon on Wednesday at SUNY Albany, this news plus the possible Plax signing could make it an interesting event.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:36 PM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
I know i loved him when he first played and he would run over d backs....so much energy but i noticed when he wasnt in there they were a better team...bye shockey thanks for all the memories of you dropping easy touchdowns

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I liked him for the first two years, then got tired of his BS. If anything, this puts more balls in the hands of the true playmakers on the field. Not unlike Jagr, though, it does free up other teams' defenses for Plax and Toomer.

I'm going to the Giants Media Luncheon on Wednesday at SUNY Albany, this news plus the possible Plax signing could make it an interesting event.
remind you of anyone?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:47 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Not unlike Jagr, though, it does free up other teams' defenses for Plax and Toomer.
Two words: Steve Smith

And Boss isn't a bad option either. We'll miss Shockey's blocking in the running game though, unless the Giants think they already have a replacement for that in Boss or another TE.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
remind you of anyone?
Yeah, there's definitely an Avery parallel, except Shockey was truly an elite TE, but the behavioral patterns are eerily similar.

Good luck keeping Shock out of the French Quarter!

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Poozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
And Boss isn't a bad option either. We'll miss Shockey's blocking in the running game though, unless the Giants think they already have a replacement for that in Boss or another TE.
I think the giants feel that they don't need his blocking skills, considering how well the Jacobs/Bradshaw combination worked while Shockey was off the field, injured.

I'm not a fan of the compensation, a 2nd and 3rd maybe.

Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poozer View Post
I think the giants feel that they don't need his blocking skills, considering how well the Jacobs/Bradshaw combination worked while Shockey was off the field, injured.

Had to do it.........see ya!........they won without him and Boss played well so time to move on

AND this only helps Manning as Shockey likely drove the calm QB nuts

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Poozer

Manning has been quoted many times as saying he looked forward to having Shockey as an option next season. Of course he could just be saying that because in terms of PR, it was the only thing to say.

I just think that in terms of immediate compensation, they are losing a valuable player, whose onfield assets were worth more than his mouth could hurt them.

Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:18 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

I'm not a huge football fan but every time a premier player (like Shockey) gets traded it's never for that much in return. I guess that's just how the NFL works with trades?

Anyways, the Giants held their own in the playoffs without Shockey and looked great doing so in the process, so I guess this will help out both teams.

And yeah, the parallels to Avery are pretty eerie.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
This is a dumb question but did Shockey play in the playoffs at all? What about the SB? I don't remember if i saw im or not. If he dind't play was it cuz of injury?

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
This is a dumb question but did Shockey play in the playoffs at all? What about the SB? I don't remember if i saw im or not. If he dind't play was it cuz of injury?
nope he was drinking martini's in the Press Box like Marek malik.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
nope he was drinking martini's in the Press Box like Marek malik.
To be fair, he was hurt. So it was not the same as Malik.

Shockey was never as good as he was perceived to be. Too many drops. His speed has diminished. He was never committed to blocking. And he stopped running over DBs after his second season.

More importantly, I'm not sure how much he has left. The injuries have hurt him. But beyond that, how many really good seasons to TEs really have? How many did Bavaro? Not many. Guys like Gonzalez and Sharpe are the exception, not the rule.

And I would not say that Shockey is elite, certainly not now. I would take Whitten and Cooley over him. And that's just in that division.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 04:06 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
The Giants are going to miss Shockey. They will cry. If you think the Giants offense will be the same you are crazy. I don't care what we did in the postseason, we still didn't light the world on fire. It was the defense that carried us. Now we lost an intimidating presence that at the very least took coverage away from the outside. Better pray Manningham is as good as advertised so we play with 3 wr because I am iffy on Kevin Boss who made the catch of his life in the superbowl and suddenly he's the man. Kevin Boss better make the probowl next year and many times over or he will never finish hearing it from me. WHAT A STUPID THING TO DO. AND WE JUST GAVE HIM AWAY.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 04:11 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poozer View Post

WRONG! The Giants rushing average dropped nearly a yard per without Shockey and that is a lot. We better become a multi receiver offense or we are going to suffer. Boss worries me. He looks brittle to start a whole season and slow as hell. OMG!!! I AM SO PISSED!

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm View Post
The Giants are going to miss Shockey. They will cry. If you think the Giants offense will be the same you are crazy. I don't care what we did in the postseason, we still didn't light the world on fire. It was the defense that carried us. Now we lost an intimidating presence that at the very least took coverage away from the outside. Better pray Manningham is as good as advertised so we play with 3 wr because I am iffy on Kevin Boss who made the catch of his life in the superbowl and suddenly he's the man. Kevin Boss better make the probowl next year and many times over or he will never finish hearing it from me. WHAT A STUPID THING TO DO. AND WE JUST GAVE HIM AWAY.
As a Jet fan I give ALL Giants fan this if you are complaining this offseason, not even 6 months after a surprise Super Bowl WIN :

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Fletch

interesting move...thought that a healthy Shockey is something that could differentiate this year's offense compared to last year's (the offense that ultimately won the Super Bowl).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 04:22 PM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
interesting move...thought that a healthy Shockey is something that could differentiate this year's offense compared to last year's (the offense that ultimately won the Super Bowl).
true but they played so well without him and shockey was made of glass.....every season he got hurt...i know its football but he was injured to frequently..........and a 2nd round pick is a very good pick in football more valuable then a 2nd rounder in the nhl.

Old
07-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Fletch

I don't doubt the return - a second is nice - and I assume moving him created salary space, so they got that going for them. My only point was that the offense going into next season looks a lot like the one that just won and thought he may've been a positive to that, with Eli having more confidence and a running game that was starting to come together (although another differentiating factor may just be receivers who catch more balls than they drop).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 04:37 PM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I don't doubt the return - a second is nice - and I assume moving him created salary space, so they got that going for them. My only point was that the offense going into next season looks a lot like the one that just won and thought he may've been a positive to that, with Eli having more confidence and a running game that was starting to come together (although another differentiating factor may just be receivers who catch more balls than they drop).
Yes no more dropped balls please lol..........with a healthy steve smith in there he is going to be a big time slot reciever and also one day when toomer retires he will be their great possesion receiver....as long as we lock up burress along with toomer and smith we should be fine and that kid boss looked good when he played.....offensive line will be back and we should be fine as long as Eli continues to get better....the bigger question is their defense...they lost 3 starters of their defense(Wilson, Strahan, Mitchell) But even with out starhan they still will have such a beastly d line that can still get to that quaterback.....i think Kiwinuka(however you spell it) will take strahans place opposite of Osi.....Tuck Cofild and Alford will be nice to rotate trhu the middle spots as well