HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Red Wings to win 63+ ??

Old
07-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Schroedingers Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
They wont even make 43, nevermind 63. . .

-Goaltending will be an issue.
Yes, Osgood DIDN'T play 3 and a half series in a row and post a sub 2.00 GAA and shut out Pittsburgh for almost 7 straight periods.

Quote:
-and now with the new schedule, they only get to play their division opponents 6 times a year.(not that, that would matter as Columbus, St.louis and Chicago are improving largely) and Nashville might be easy points?, but thats what people thought last year.
Were it not for the Central, Detroit would have posted close to a .900 record last year. The Central is the only division that could come close to beating Detroit.

Quote:
-A lot of westen teams are going to be conteders next year.(I'm excited)
Well, out of the west I see maybe Anaheim, San Jose, and Dallas as contenders. Columbus, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Vancouver, St. Louis, Nashville, and Calgary are the same or significantly weaker than they were last year.

Schroedingers Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 06:42 PM
HatTrick89

Send a message via AIM to HatTrick89
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
I don't see them breaking the record.

Firstly, because even though there are no ties now, 63 is still a hell of a lot of wins.

Secondly, because Osgood has only played more than 40 games in the regular season once in the past 6 years. He's 36 next season, and if he needs as much rest as he's had in the last half-decade, it's asking too much of Conklin to expect him to come in and repeat his '07-'08 performance.

Conklin won't even have to repeat his 07-08 performance to do well with the Red Wings...He'll just have to stop 17 or 18 shots which he is fully capable of...And if he does repeat his 07-08 performance it'll look even better on the Red Wings...Instead of stopping 98 out of 100 shots like he did last year in Pittsburgh it'll probably be like winning 19 out of 20 games, get a shutout 10 times in 20 games.

HatTrick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 06:43 PM
catters078

Quote:
They wont even make 43, nevermind 63. . .

-Goaltending will be an issue.

-will they have a hangover year? I dont think so, any team wont want to play them, unless they catch an injury bug.

-and now with the new schedule, they only get to play their division opponents 6 times a year.(not that, that would matter as Columbus, St.louis and Chicago are improving largely) and Nashville might be easy points?, but thats what people thought last year.

-A lot of westen teams are going to be conteders next year.(I'm excited)

The fact is, Detroit is a very experienced team and thats what teams learn when they have to play them.

ahh yes they will, osgood may not be top5 goalies, but he was supposed to be the weakness in the playoffs...but he went 14-2 and the most he gave up was 4..hes not as much of a weakness as people think..especially with the D in front of him, hell face like 18-22 shots per nigth tops

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 07:07 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
[QUOTE=Schroedingers Cat;14911170]Yes, Osgood DIDN'T play 3 and a half series in a row and post a sub 2.00 GAA and shut out Pittsburgh for almost 7 straight periods.

I have nothing against Osgood, I loved that he got himself another ring, which he totally deserved. I would love to see him do that again next season, but dont.

Were it not for the Central, Detroit would have posted close to a .900 record last year. The Central is the only division that could come close to beating Detroit.

This season coming up is a new season, and expect your division opponents to give you a run at your money. Colombus and Chicago's young teams are all full of youth and speed which might give you havoc.

Well, out of the west I see maybe Anaheim, San Jose, and Dallas as contenders. Columbus, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Vancouver, St. Louis, Nashville, and Calgary are the same or significantly weaker than they were last year.[/QUOTE]

Next season is a whole new season,

Colombus may have gotten better by picking up Torres and Umberger and with Brassard and Voracek in the line-up if he plays.

how is phoenix weaker than last year? their a young team that improving largely.

Los Angeles have gotten better too.

I cant wait to see you guys play Calgary. (2 old workhorses battling it out)

why didnt you put the teams that improved on your list?

Edmonton are going to be giving you guys problems all season long like in the past.

Colorado will be a contender too if they have a healthy season, nice pick-up getting Tucker.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 11:21 AM
salty justice

Smart money is on the Wings not being able to duplicate last year's performance.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Schroedingers Cat

Quote:

why didnt you put the teams that improved on your list?

Edmonton are going to be giving you guys problems all season long like in the past.

Colorado will be a contender too if they have a healthy season, nice pick-up getting Tucker.
I didn't put the teams that improved on my list because my list was of teams that weren't really a threat to Detroit.

I think Edmonton's improvement this offseason is over-rated, but we'll have to see. I am not even sure if they are a playoff team at this point.

Colorado wasn't listed for the above reason. If Colorado has a healthy season they are a top-4 team in the west. But, Detroit has had Colorado's number, healthy or not, since 2002.

Detroit steamrolled the west last year and, TBQH, have improved more than any other Western team by 1. removing the distraction of Hasek, 2. Having Stuart from the beginning of the season, and 3. signing Hossa.

Detroit steamrolled the West last year while being decimated by injury from Jan-April. Detroit has the capability to be massively better with Stuart and Hossa, and a renewed Kronwall. Lids-Raf-CrappyKronwall-Lilja is nothing compared to Lids-Raf-GoodKronwall-Stuart. That's an entirely different ballgame. That means you have two defense pairs that could be first pairs on almost team outside Calgary (Phaneuf) and Anaheim.

Schroedingers Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 11:36 AM
DarkReign

Methinks some folks here are going to be surprised. I expect no hangover...none whatsoever.

So, IMO, you look at the upcoming season as one looked at the start of last season.

Predict their performance on the merits of their roster, the strength of their schedule and the possibility of injuries.

I see another President's Trophy. 50+ wins. Another season in the life of the Wings.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 02:12 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

vCash: 738
63 wins?
Possible, yes.
Probable, no.

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:34 PM
penny_lane

c'mon, why not 80 wins for the wings...

penny_lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Todds Chiropractory

No way, gonna be too competitive in west this year

Todds Chiropractory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:56 PM
guinness
those were the days

nope

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Grannys

I hope the team feels over confident and cocky and end up crashing and burning.... I can dream cant I!!??

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:22 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
Probably going to go 81-0-1
The game at Wrigley?

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 01:24 AM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Detroit could win the cup with Dan Cloutier in net.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Marky9er

All the talk about Detroit faltering because of goaltending is laughable. The reality is, in the cap world Detroit has found an advantage. Ken Holland claims the book "the blueprint" about the New England Patriot's as his inspiration. "Our feeling is, have solid goaltending. If another team pays $4-5 million a year for a goalie, we'll pay $1-1.5 million a year and sink of our money into defense."-Ken Hollandhttp://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008..._agency_k.html

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:35 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
I don't see 63 happening, but there is no way the Wings win less than 53.

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:31 PM
overg

I'd be surprised if they can match last regular's season's numbers. I think they played about as good as they could possibly play last season for the talent level which they have. I wouldn't be surprised if they can't match that "peak" performance for a second consecutive regular season.

It will also be interesting to see if the league cracks down on the Wings brand of "obstruction". We certainly saw that start to happen in the playoffs last year, as a couple of rounds of the Stars, and especially Penguins, complaining definitely led to more obstruction calls against the Wings. If the refs start deeming the Wings "skate in their path" brand of defense as always being penalties, that will certainly open up some ice for the opposition this year.

Personally, as a Wings fan I'll be satisfied if they go into the playoffs as a top 3 seed playing good hockey. They don't need to break any regular season records to win another Cup, so as long as they remember how to play they way they did last year, I don't particularly care if they do it all season long if they at least do it in the playoffs.

overg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 06:40 PM
8snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by overg View Post

It will also be interesting to see if the league cracks down on the Wings brand of "obstruction". We certainly saw that start to happen in the playoffs last year, as a couple of rounds of the Stars, and especially Penguins, complaining definitely led to more obstruction calls against the Wings. If the refs start deeming the Wings "skate in their path" brand of defense as always being penalties, that will certainly open up some ice for the opposition this year.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 06:49 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
'There won't be a hangover. They'll systematically dismantle the league once again.
That's what I thought...

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

I don't think the Wings require a lot of heart to win games. As long as they work like a machine they will do fine. They have been doing it for 17 years.

They just had 3 strait 50 win seasons, and I expect them to make it 4. But 60+ wins will be an extremely hard feat. It could happen if they don't get many injuries, but we don't live in a perfect world.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
Smart money is on the Wings not being able to duplicate last year's performance.
When the best player and key to the teams success is 38 you are right. I wouldn't put a buck on them repeating but i wouldn't bet against it either.

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 08:52 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
When the best player and key to the teams success is 38 you are right. I wouldn't put a buck on them repeating but i wouldn't bet against it either.
When that 38 yo player just won his third straight Norris, and 6 out of the last 7, the team remains basically the same, except the addition of Marian Hossa, I'd say that the odds look quite good.

The odds for a repeat often looks bad, but actually, rolling a double 6 is just as likely after an earlier double 6 as it is after rolling a couple of dead eyes.

Everyone knows what team that delivered the last repeat.

And that 38 yo player was on the team that delivered the last repeat.

Except that this time he's the Captain of the team.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote