HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jessiman Offered QO, Jessiman Accepts (Post #71)

Old
07-20-2008, 11:15 PM
danno2530

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I just don't see this guy getting it here. Maybe a change of scenery and he winds up being a solid role player like Malhotra.

In terms of this season though, there's so many different players for only a few spots (who knows when and where and if Korpikoski and Anisimov are going to play?), even if he has a really good camp and pre-season (which I thought he did last year), it's probably not going to make a difference. And this is all if he's signed, which I don't see.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:17 PM
TomLaidlaw

Has a player with such an average skill set ever had as many threads dedicated to him as Hugh? I blame this all on the Ranger management for showing us all the clip of Hugh checking the guy through the glass for 2 straight years.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The man scored 30 ****ing some-odd points. He should be getting at least 55-60. At the bare minimum. When you score half the amount of points you have the skills, hands and smarts for.. then something is wrong. It's clearly his heart. It's been that way since day one.

Again, just check the scouting reports out on the guy. It's always been his heart. I actually used to LOVE the dude. I just hate heartless players. Once he got his first decent contract, he just seemed like he gave up. He has the potential to be one of the best 2nd line players in the entire league.

With you guys, he looked like a mediocre 3rd liner all year.
look at the scouting report for hugh jessiman when he was being drafted. they arent always correct. zubrus, although i do agree that he should have more points, had 38 points and never broke 50 points without playing with ovechkin. he plays everyshift.

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
I think you're memory of the playoffs is clouding your judegement. He was a beast for the Devils in the playoffs, but most of the season he was mediocre.

And before anyone asks, yes, I did watch the games. I watch a lot of Devils games because I hate them so.

Edit: I guess Jon already said most of what I was gonna say. Playoffs = good, regular season = not so good.
trust me, i was complaing about him all year. he played hard everyshift, and i admitted that when i was arguing with devils fans but he stilled didnt put up enough points

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 04:58 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
I

In terms of this season though, there's so many different players for only a few spots (who knows when and where and if Korpikoski and Anisimov are going to play?), even if he has a really good camp and pre-season (which I thought he did last year), it's probably not going to make a difference. And this is all if he's signed, which I don't see.
My point is if Hugh signs the Miniumum contract, and as capped out as the Rangers are, he may be an attractive option for the 4th line. Ive given up on Hugh ever becoming Adam Graves, but I think he can do what Voros or Rismiller can do
@ 525 K cheaper.

As far as Korpi or Anisomov, Korpis cap hit is plus $1 million dollars, Double A is 850 K.

I think both of these players need top 9 forward minutes and although Hugh can use more development, I dont see him getting any farther @ the AHL level.

And Hugh @ 475 K is just an attractive option. I truly believe it is his way to the NHL

Last edited by free0717: 07-21-2008 at 05:01 AM. Reason: missed statement
free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Nich

...stayed in school all 4 years...

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
look at the scouting report for hugh jessiman when he was being drafted. they arent always correct. zubrus, although i do agree that he should have more points, had 38 points and never broke 50 points without playing with ovechkin. he plays everyshift.
The scouting reports for Jessiman probably said extremely high bust potential, hasn't faced tough competition, and needs to have a better mental game.

I didn't look it up, but I'm sure they said most of those things I listed.

Everyone knew it was a huge risk pick. The scouting reports would've likely confirmed that.

I simply am dumbfounded that Devils fans are defending this guys heart. Holy crap. Just dumbfounded. He really could've been a huge piece to your puzzle if he even gave 75% each game.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
My point is if Hugh signs the Miniumum contract, and as capped out as the Rangers are, he may be an attractive option for the 4th line. Ive given up on Hugh ever becoming Adam Graves, but I think he can do what Voros or Rismiller can do
@ 525 K cheaper.

As far as Korpi or Anisomov, Korpis cap hit is plus $1 million dollars, Double A is 850 K.

I think both of these players need top 9 forward minutes and although Hugh can use more development, I dont see him getting any farther @ the AHL level.

And Hugh @ 475 K is just an attractive option. I truly believe it is his way to the NHL
If the Rangers have to make a decision on whom to call up based on cap numbers as opposed to what the team needs then Sather should be fired on the spot. It makes absolutely no sense to do it that way. If the Rangers need a player, they need to take the one that fits on the ice, not on the balance sheet.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:09 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
If I were Hugh Jessiman I would not accept the qualifying offer. I would tell Sather to give me a League Min Contract($475K/year), two way deal.

This way if Hugh has a big Training camp, he would seriously be considered for a 4th line spot.

$475K vs. $1,000,000.00 for Voros or Rismiller would be a real consideration if everything else were equal.

It could be Hughs chance to get into the league.

If he took the qualifier $942 K + 10%, It would be no consideration vs. Voros or Rismiller. Hugh would have to Outplay them by alot.
Now THIS is funny. If Jessiman is offered a $1MM per year, not only should he sign the deal, but he should get down on his knees and service Sather. He has ZERO chance of beating out Voros or Rismiller or any of the other 15 4th line players in this organization. This kid needs to just make as much money as he can and begin preparing for his post-hockey life.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Jessiman is the next George Laraque.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:40 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Jessiman is the next George Laraque.
without the fighting skills.......

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
If the Rangers have to make a decision on whom to call up based on cap numbers as opposed to what the team needs then Sather should be fired on the spot. It makes absolutely no sense to do it that way. If the Rangers need a player, they need to take the one that fits on the ice, not on the balance sheet.

This is the new NHL

Old
07-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
without the fighting skills.......
I thought Jessiman was focusing more on his fighting than his offensive ability. Didn't know he was still garbage in that department as well.

Old
07-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The bad part is that even if Jessiman spends next year in the AHL and develops quite well, he'll be 25 years old to start the next season and only a year away from UFA status... correct?

In this climate of the NHL you really have to draft players that can contribute sooner rather than later because after their first contract you have to pay them like UFA talent anyways.

Project picks are now picks you make in the 2nd round of the draft and not before. Not faulting NYR in particular for drafting him but these in the "give it time", camp have to realize that the time is now for Hugh Jessiman's career with the Rangers because very soon he's going to have the ability to sign where he wants.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I thought Jessiman was focusing more on his fighting than his offensive ability. Didn't know he was still garbage in that department as well.
I just remember how he got his ass kicked by Steve Downie in pre-season. Although in the AHL his fighting improved a little.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
This is the new NHL
So the Rangers shouldn't care about putting together a good team on the ice or about rewarding their prospects for working hard to develop their game in the minors. Yeah, let's do that; give it a couple of years and no one will want to sign with the Ranger organization.

But, at least Jessiman will get a chance because he's cheap. Not because he deserves it. Great way to run an organization.

And by the way, there's a hole in your "logic". The Ranger organization could have decided not to qualify Jessiman and then given him the option of signing a "cheaper" contract if they were so worried about his cap hit. And you know what? Jessiman probably would have done it because everyone knows what this guy is about after 3 years of playing professional hockey and there is no demand for his services. Or do you think someone out there is just waiting to grab him?

Old
07-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
The bad part is that even if Jessiman spends next year in the AHL and develops quite well, he'll be 25 years old to start the next season and only a year away from UFA status... correct?

In this climate of the NHL you really have to draft players that can contribute sooner rather than later because after their first contract you have to pay them like UFA talent anyways.

Project picks are now picks you make in the 2nd round of the draft and not before. Not faulting NYR in particular for drafting him but these in the "give it time", camp have to realize that the time is now for Hugh Jessiman's career with the Rangers because very soon he's going to have the ability to sign where he wants.
As if anyone will sign him for more than league minimum--yeah, I can see teams kicking down the door to sign him first thing on July 1st right now. (yeah right).

Start lining up now, because if Jessiman doesn't play a significant number of games this season in the NHL, he will become a Group V free agent when he turns 25.

Old
07-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
As if anyone will sign him for more than league minimum--yeah, I can see teams kicking down the door to sign him first thing on July 1st right now. (yeah right).

Start lining up now, because if Jessiman doesn't play a significant number of games this season in the NHL, he will become a Group V free agent when he turns 25.
I'm not saying that everybody is going to be hot after him, my point was that once a draftee hits UFA status for the first time you can declare him a bust then and there because his value to the organization will have never been realized and you'd just be one of thirty NHL teams that could offer him a contract and not wasted a pick on him.

Take the AJ Thelen analogy. Even if Minnesota signed him tomorrow and he became an NHL blueliner the pick itself would have been a bust because the timeline to benefit from the actual draft selection and not the UFA signing would have long since expired. Becoming a UFA is like being drafted all over again.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 08:48 PM
free0717

Quote:
So the Rangers shouldn't care about putting together a good team on the ice or about rewarding their prospects for working hard to develop their game in the minors. Yeah, let's do that; give it a couple of years and no one will want to sign with the Ranger organization.

But, at least Jessiman will get a chance because he's cheap. Not because he deserves it. Great way to run an organization.

And by the way, there's a hole in your "logic". The Ranger organization could have decided not to qualify Jessiman and then given him the option of signing a "cheaper" contract if they were so worried about his cap hit. And you know what? Jessiman probably would have done it because everyone knows what this guy is about after 3 years of playing professional hockey and there is no demand for his services. Or do you think someone out there is just waiting to grab him?
I dont think Voros or Rismiller are any better than Hugh and what I am saying if all things are equal, go with the more cap friendly contract.

Old
07-21-2008, 09:04 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
I just don't see this guy getting it here. Maybe a change of scenery and he winds up being a solid role player like Malhotra.
But at least Malhotra actually made the NHL.

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:40 PM
FLYLine24*

Spoke to Hugh earlier today (Yeah, yeah...my ONE and ONLY NHL connection)....

He was offered a QO and he accepted, hes not sure when it will be announced officially.

Very happy with this (and to the "omg you only care cause he was a 1st round pick, if he wasn't..you would think this is terrible...well I give you few a big and watch a few pack games for once if your going to comment)

Cant hurt at all to have him in the AHL next season after the season he just had, he's only getting better.

I'd hope you guys would think im being legit, and trust me by now. I'm not BSing.

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 07-22-2008 at 02:52 AM.
FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:10 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

He was offered a QO and he accepted, hes not sure when it will be announced officially.

Very happy with this

Cant hurt at all to have him in the AHL next season after the season he just had, he's only getting better.

I'd hope you guys would think im being legit, and trust me by now. I'm not BSing.
You know Hugh Jessiman? That's awesome man!

Thanks for the inside source

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:25 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Good sign. I haven't given up yet. Is he still taking boxing lessons?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

Very happy with this

I hope you gave him a kick in the ass too. I'm hoping the guy can take some of the negativity surrounding him and turn himself into a NHL caliber winger. I'm not holding out hope for him to be a 35 goal scoring power forward, but if he can model his game after a guy like Ryan Malone I'd be absolutely ecstatic.

The player he was projected to be is still the player we're lacking on this team. Did he let you know how many years the deal is for?

Old
07-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I dont think Voros or Rismiller are any better than Hugh and what I am saying if all things are equal, go with the more cap friendly contract.
How do you know that? Rismiller has played two full seasons in the NHL and 30 playoff games and even Voros stuck in the NHL and played 55 games (and 5 playoff games) after he escaped the NJ farm system. Do you think the Rangers are somehow holding Jessiman back? Or that the people involved in evaluating talent for the Rangers have somehow missed something?

You make it sound like it's been a pure numbers game that has prevented Jessiman from making the NHL, but the fact of the matter is that he has been overtaken on the depth chart by a number of players who are younger and have more upside. Cheap contract or not, he's a long-shot to make the NHL at this point and has even less of a chance of sticking if by some miracle he gets called up.