HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Shockey traded

Old
07-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Nemchinov13

vCash: 500
Shockey was an investment with diminishing returns. As SBOB has pointed out, he stopped running over d-backs after the 2nd season, his speed has diminished and from my personal observation, he was dropping a lot of passes in the last 2 seasons. Not to mention Barber-esque attitude. I don't think it's a coincidence that Manning looked his best when Shockey went down with injury. Now, after Strahan's retirement and Shockey's trade, it is truly Manning's team.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 05:50 PM
The Thomas J.*

I'm glad he is gone, I used to love this guy, but his overall me 1st attitude, his brashness, selfishness, injury ridden, inconsistent play really turned me off the past 2+ seasons. Let him be someone elses prolbem.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 05:51 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
Shockey was an investment with diminishing returns. As SBOB has pointed out, he stopped running over d-backs after the 2nd season, his speed has diminished and from my personal observation, he was dropping a lot of passes in the last 2 seasons. Not to mention Barber-esque attitude. I don't think it's a coincidence that Manning looked his best when Shockey went down with injury. Now, after Strahan's retirement and Shockey's trade, it is truly Manning's team.

It really is all on Manning now, no more excuses.

Old
07-21-2008, 05:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
No more excuses? The guy was the MVP of the Super Bowl.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 06:02 PM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
lol i know....he will go down just for what he did as one of the best qbs th giants ever had.....he can suck so bad for the next 5 years but you will always remember in 2007 he won the superbowl and how great he was.....granted people will still boo him if he sucked for 5 years straight but he has already proved himself as a winner hall of fame not yet but a winner in clutch time he has

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Singn, I want to see a whole season like the postseason that Eli had. If he's going to be as good and consistent as he was during the run to the Superbowl next season, then he'll prove us all that he is as good as Manning gets. And then, who knows, he might win more SBs than his brother.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 06:17 PM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
Singn, I want to see a whole season like the postseason that Eli had. If he's going to be as good and consistent as he was during the run to the Superbowl next season, then he'll prove us all that he is as good as Manning gets. And then, who knows, he might win more SBs than his brother.
i hope so i think he can if he did it once you have to think he can again

Old
07-21-2008, 07:40 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
No more excuses for what exactly? He outplayed every QB he went up against. In weather that was supposed to favor the "great Favre", Eli looked like he'd played in cold weather all his life. And, after Brady supposedly led the Pats to a comeback SB victory, Manning out-Montana's him with a miraculous drive including simply the greatest play in SB history...all in a mere four years after being drafted. Manning was worth everything they gave up to get him for those four games alone.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 08:35 PM
NorthlandPro

Shockey is all talk. He was a Bavaro wannabee, except Mark delivered big time. Big waste, poor team player, more about himself than thew team. Goodbye. No big loss.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Two words: Steve Smith

And Boss isn't a bad option either. We'll miss Shockey's blocking in the running game though, unless the Giants think they already have a replacement for that in Boss or another TE.
Boss has been working all offseason on blocking and he's improved in it by leaps and bounds.

We also have an ELITE blocking fullback in Hedgecock.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLeetch2 View Post
Yes no more dropped balls please lol..........with a healthy steve smith in there he is going to be a big time slot reciever and also one day when toomer retires he will be their great possesion receiver....as long as we lock up burress along with toomer and smith we should be fine and that kid boss looked good when he played.....offensive line will be back and we should be fine as long as Eli continues to get better....the bigger question is their defense...they lost 3 starters of their defense(Wilson, Strahan, Mitchell) But even with out starhan they still will have such a beastly d line that can still get to that quaterback.....i think Kiwinuka(however you spell it) will take strahans place opposite of Osi.....Tuck Cofild and Alford will be nice to rotate trhu the middle spots as well
No chance they use Kiwi instead of Tuck as an end. Tuck had 10 sacks last year. You don't sit that for a guy like Kiwi.

Old
07-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No chance they use Kiwi instead of Tuck as an end. Tuck had 10 sacks last year. You don't sit that for a guy like Kiwi.
I didn't even know that was a possibility. Tuck got those numbers starting only two games.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:22 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Not so sure. Not many of those sacks come from the end. And Tuck seems to be most effective when he's moved up and down the line as a sort of rover.

Old
07-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Not so sure. Not many of those sacks come from the end. And Tuck seems to be most effective when he's moved up and down the line as a sort of rover.
Yeah, but at the same time, Kiwi did look comfortable at LB before he got injured. I don't see a need to move him around and around at this point. Play him in one place for a while and give Tuck the job. If he somehow fails (which I don't see happening), then you have Kiwi as a back-up option.

Old
07-21-2008, 09:57 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
See I never saw Kiwinuka as being comfortable at LB.

Old
07-21-2008, 10:01 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Well I was a Shockey fan and I wish him well with the Saints, but I think this was the right thing to do. I wish though that the deal was made before the draft like it was originally going to be, because the Saints will be improved and it's not going to be as high a pick as last year most likely, but I think the return was decent.

Shockey's first season was one of the more impressive rookie campaigns in recent memory of any New York player...but did he really show many flashes of that after the first season? Yeah he made the Pro Bowl, scored touchdowns and was a great blocker, but in his rookie year he was already drawing comparisons to Mark Bavaro. I'll always remember the game against the Colts where he just shook off that defender and took off 30 yards down the field. Stuff like that was great, but we never really saw it again after 2002.

Injuries were a big problem. He missed half of the 2003 season and even though he played through injuries, he was ineffective at times. He'd be limited to one catch per game and just wasn't much of a factor in the offensive gameplan. Even now I think the Giants are a more aerial team that focuses more on multiple receiver packages, opening up more chances for Steve Smith and, if he pans out, Manningham.

My problem with Shockey wasn't the playoff run..I actually felt bad for him after playing with so much heart and only able to watch from a distance as the team progressed without him. But once he started getting into shouting matches with Jerry Reese, who built a Super Bowl winner in his FIRST season as GM, that was it for me.

I think it's addition by subtraction. I wish him well in New Orleans and I think he has something left in the tank, but I think it's time for the Giants to move on collectively.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:02 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
See I never saw Kiwinuka as being comfortable at LB.
I definitely thought he was starting to make strides right before the injury. The first few games he was completely lost, but around the time of the London game, he started to gain confidence.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 08:38 AM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
Yeah, but at the same time, Kiwi did look comfortable at LB before he got injured. I don't see a need to move him around and around at this point. Play him in one place for a while and give Tuck the job. If he somehow fails (which I don't see happening), then you have Kiwi as a back-up option.
Kiwi could play LB but he was more effective on the line and tuck up the middle was a beast last season and in the playoffs....either way even with out strahan they have such a dominating defensive line its scary

Old
07-22-2008, 09:06 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm View Post
The Giants are going to miss Shockey. They will cry. If you think the Giants offense will be the same you are crazy. I don't care what we did in the postseason, we still didn't light the world on fire. It was the defense that carried us. Now we lost an intimidating presence that at the very least took coverage away from the outside. Better pray Manningham is as good as advertised so we play with 3 wr because I am iffy on Kevin Boss who made the catch of his life in the superbowl and suddenly he's the man. Kevin Boss better make the probowl next year and many times over or he will never finish hearing it from me. WHAT A STUPID THING TO DO. AND WE JUST GAVE HIM AWAY.
Yeah, Shockey did wonders to help them win the Superbowl, like make Mannings life more difficult each preseason by not coming to New York to train with him.

Oh yeah he didnt play either.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 09:11 AM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Yeah, Shockey did wonders to help them win the Superbowl, like make Mannings life more difficult each preseason by not coming to New York to train with him.

Oh yeah he didnt play either.
the giants will be fine....lol he missed more games due to injury then he did play.....they won with out him and will continue to win without him

Old
07-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

I'll miss Shockey and so will the Giants but he was just too much of a disruption. The Giants actually seem like they are not satisfied with just winning last year and crawling back into a shell. The last two times that the Giants won it all they missed the playoffs the following season. This upcoming year seems different to me. The team is very young and not satisifed with what they accomplished and they got rid of a very big distraction by letting Shockey go. The thing is Shockey was never able to stay healthy. I think he'll have a huge year for New Orleans but he's always hurt, always complaining about something and the Giants will be a more cohesive unit without him in the huddle.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 09:24 AM
mti79

vCash: 50
I think the Giants can be just as competitive as they were last year without Shockey. He is a presence on the field that forces other teams to monitor where he is at all times. The Giants showed they can win without him. Eli is maturing very well and if Boss can be productive, they'll be fine. They have a good corps of receivers and if they can get a running game that doesn't allow other teams to just sit back in coverage, they'll be fine....

However, being a New Orleans Saints fan, I am very excited about this trade. Shockey is going to take attention away from Marques Colston and the other receivers. This is going to open the field up for Drew Brees. He loved to play pitch and catch with Gates in San Diego and I can see a similar situation here with Shockey. Also, the added dimension of the passing game might open up the running game for McAllister and Bush.... Who do you focus on when you have McAllister in the backfield, Colston out wide, Shockey on the end and Bush in a slot... not to mention the 2nd receiver, whoever that ends up being. The Saints could have a very dangerous offense this year.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 09:51 AM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
I think the Giants can be just as competitive as they were last year without Shockey. He is a presence on the field that forces other teams to monitor where he is at all times. The Giants showed they can win without him. Eli is maturing very well and if Boss can be productive, they'll be fine. They have a good corps of receivers and if they can get a running game that doesn't allow other teams to just sit back in coverage, they'll be fine....

However, being a New Orleans Saints fan, I am very excited about this trade. Shockey is going to take attention away from Marques Colston and the other receivers. This is going to open the field up for Drew Brees. He loved to play pitch and catch with Gates in San Diego and I can see a similar situation here with Shockey. Also, the added dimension of the passing game might open up the running game for McAllister and Bush.... Who do you focus on when you have McAllister in the backfield, Colston out wide, Shockey on the end and Bush in a slot... not to mention the 2nd receiver, whoever that ends up being. The Saints could have a very dangerous offense this year.

If shockey can stay healthy for the saints then you guys will love him....he plays hard and wants to win and is a great talent....he will have a great year there as long as he stays on the field to play....Brees will have another weapon to use

Old
07-22-2008, 09:54 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Quote:
lol i know....he will go down just for what he did as one of the best qbs th giants ever had.....he can suck so bad for the next 5 years but you will always remember in 2007 he won the superbowl and how great he was.....granted people will still boo him if he sucked for 5 years straight but he has already proved himself as a winner hall of fame not yet but a winner in clutch time he has

No more excuses means that everything falls on him now, all the distractions are gone, & with Strahan retired as well there is no one for Manning to defer too. I don't expect Manning to play the way he played during the superowl run every game...I expect him to be better & better every game he plays.

Old
07-22-2008, 09:57 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
If shockey can stay healthy for the saints then you guys will love him....he plays hard and wants to win and is a great talent....he will have a great year there as long as he stays on the field to play....Brees will have another weapon to use
He still has to catch the ball with more consistency.