HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Dennis Wideman 4-year (3.95M$ Cap hit)

Old
07-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Joe Malone

vCash: 500
I agree with Brian Burke - the second contract has disappeared. Players now go from an entry level contract to megabucks. Wideman is a perfect example....600 grand to 4 million after one good year. I'm not condemning the opinions of Bruin posters who've come here, nor am I condemning the Bruin player Wideman. I am disappointed with what the pay scale has become, and the GM's who've made it so.....

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...8-c43855f6fb71

It's obviously going to take more than a salary cap to stop some National Hockey League general managers from spending money like drunken sailors.

In a world of drunken sailors, Gainey looks like the designated driver.

Last edited by Joe Malone: 07-22-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino View Post
Dennis Wideman 4-year (3.95M$ Cap hit/year)

What do you guys think about this deal?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/signings_2008/

HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!
First they hand Ryder $4 million a season and now this.....HAHAHAHAHAHA........GO BRUINS GO......all the way to the crapper!!!

I love it. I hope Lucy get knocked out everytime he drops his gloves and I hope the Bruins finish 15th in the division!!!!

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-22-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:16 AM
MD Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!
First they hand Ryder $4 million a season and now this.....HAHAHAHAHAHA........GO BRUINS GO......all the way to the crapper!!!

I love it. I hope Lucy get knocked out everytime he drops his gloves and I hope the Bruins finish 15th in the division!!!!
Most of us know these comments are not widely held among your posters. They happen on every board, including ours. Most of your posters flat-out acknowledge that these two teams should compete to the end for the division this year. And it should be fun. We've both got young, talented teams. Of course, I'm hoping you guys finish without about 7 points this year.

MD Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:48 AM
JrHockeyFan

Wideman was one of the guys I really hoped Montreal could have gotten from the Blues. He has really progressed since then. I think the Bruins made a good deal there and the contract makes sense to me. Good young defenseman with good offensive skills. StL even used him on Shootouts

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:48 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Bruins Fan View Post
Most of us know these comments are not widely held among your posters. They happen on every board, including ours. Most of your posters flat-out acknowledge that these two teams should compete to the end for the division this year. And it should be fun. We've both got young, talented teams. Of course, I'm hoping you guys finish without about 7 points this year.
People learn which posters not to pay attention to after enough of those comments. That's one you can just smile and nod at, MD.
I agree that it's going to be between the Habs and the Bruins for the division. I get annoyed with Bruin-bashing around here because I think Habs fans who think the Bruins are going to be a cakewalk next year are in for a nasty surprise.
That said, I hope the Habs leave the B's in their dust.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:55 AM
CamTheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Wideman was one of the guys I really hoped Montreal could have gotten from the Blues. He has really progressed since then. I think the Bruins made a good deal there and the contract makes sense to me. Good young defenseman with good offensive skills. StL even used him on Shootouts

Lol don't forget that we also gave up a 40 goal scorer in Boyes..Lol

Its nice to see the great discussion on both teams signings. (B's and Habs) This season will be great for both teams. Young and gaining experience...The rivalry (for B's anyway) is always entertaining. I think this Wideman deal is a slight gamble/overpayment but like many have said his potential is huge and if he stays where he is at or improves the third and 4th years of his contract will be def. worth it. There doesnt seem to be many options available for puck moving defenseman which is what the B's need/still need. So i guess i like this signing.

Expect more movement from PC in the next few days as you notice the Bruins are officially over cap...

CamTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboominator View Post
Expect more movement from PC in the next few days as you notice the Bruins are officially over cap...
We need a centre... we'll take Savard or Bergeron if you need to get back under; give you a 3rd rounder or something.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 12:05 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
how is going from 600k to 3.9+ not an overpayment...
well Phaneuf is going from 785k to 6.5
i dont think your argument is good.

I dont know Wideman really well
but it seems to be a good contract for both

young Offensive Defence, nice to him

Actually the contract of Wideman is the same as Gilbert with the oilers...
defense 24 years passing from 900k to 4 millions who had 33 pts

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
We need a centre... we'll take Savard or Bergeron if you need to get back under; give you a 3rd rounder or something.
We need to keep our 3rd rounders to draft more americans or something.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
People learn which posters not to pay attention to after enough of those comments. That's one you can just smile and nod at, MD.
I agree that it's going to be between the Habs and the Bruins for the division. I get annoyed with Bruin-bashing around here because I think Habs fans who think the Bruins are going to be a cakewalk next year are in for a nasty surprise.
That said, I hope the Habs leave the B's in their dust.

Hey I'm just bashing the Bruins the same way they bash the Habs by calling us divers and wimps. There is nothing wrong with a little playful argument once in a while between teams.....I happen enjoy it. It's funny to hear people bash the Habs when they don't have a clue what they are talking about.

I do understand that the Bruins are going to be a tougher team to beat this season than they were last season. Bergeron will be a huge help for the B's this upcoming season. I still think the Habs will finish 1st in the division, but the Bruins will likely finish ahead of Ottawa and Buffalo and we all know that Toronto will be in the basement.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Adam91

At least 6 more games for 4 more years against Wideman,

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Iwishihadacup

The thing is... this signing made them above cap

Rofl

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Hey I'm just bashing the Bruins the same way they bash the Habs by calling us divers and wimps. There is nothing wrong with a little playful argument once in a while between teams.....I happen enjoy it. It's funny to hear people bash the Habs when they don't have a clue what they are talking about.

I do understand that the Bruins are going to be a tougher team to beat this season than they were last season. Bergeron will be a huge help for the B's this upcoming season. I still think the Habs will finish 1st in the division, but the Bruins will likely finish ahead of Ottawa and Buffalo and we all know that Toronto will be in the basement.
The thing is... wishing injury on a player is an infractable offence....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:13 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone View Post
I agree with Brian Burke - the second contract has disappeared. Players now go from an entry level contract to megabucks. Wideman is a perfect example....600 grand to 4 million after one good year.[/I]
Wideman's is not a typical second contract. He's already 25 years old. Also, its term includes two UFA years.

Recent second contracts include:
O'Byrne
Lapierre
AKost
Halak
Grabovsky

Third contract:
Gorges

Only 1 out of these 6 guys got a Cap Hit over $1.1M

Quote:
I agree with Brian Burke - the second contract has disappeared. Players now go from an entry level contract to megabucks. Wideman is a perfect example....600 grand to 4 million after one good year. I'm not condemning the opinions of Bruin posters who've come here, nor am I condemning the Bruin player Wideman. I am disappointed with what the pay scale has become, and the GM's who've made it so......[/I]

Please allow me to utter a contrary opinion.

I am not at all disappointed that some younger players are earning more money WITHIN THE FIXED SALARY CAP.

If this were not so, we'd have the continuation of the old system, where a few mainly declining veterans would each get $10-11M per year, and many equally or MORE productive 25 and 26 year olds would be making $1M each.

Offer sheets and arbitration, combined with the threat of same, have combined to give younger players a bit mroe leverage and thus simultaneously reducing the ridiculous premium paid to the 35 year old past-their-primes.

It's all good, I say. Total salaries are limited to 55% of league revenues and more teams have a good chance to compete than before the lockout.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-22-2008 at 05:23 PM.
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:40 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
I'm not complaining - I was just wondering why Wideman's contract would be news here. Beaker explained it perfectly.
Every Habs news goes on the Boston forum. I remember one last year when you had us re-signing Markov, also one lately with the ''Montreal being shaky'' thread and the ''Mess the Canadiens centennial'' thread...so please, if you guys call us troll when we say one word on your board then can you please cut the hypocrisy and leave our board too? Thank you.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:51 PM
jcpenny

Too bad Wideman will always be associated to the Boyes trade because he is really a solid Dman. I like him a lot, great signing Imo.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 06:01 PM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Every Habs news goes on the Boston forum. I remember one last year when you had us re-signing Markov, also one lately with the ''Montreal being shaky'' thread and the ''Mess the Canadiens centennial'' thread...so please, if you guys call us troll when we say one word on your board then can you please cut the hypocrisy and leave our board too? Thank you.
i admit, i frequent this board often. other than where i fit in, this is the only board with decent conversation. i rarely post here though.

this is getting ridiculous. heres why:
we post about you guys all the time
you post about us all the time
habs fans have recently laughed at us on our board for meddling in their business
bruins fans have recently laughed at you for meddling in our business
and its making everybody involved look foolish.
were all just as guilty as the next guy who insults the others' fanbase/team

face it, you care about what the bruins do, we care about what the habs are doing. you lose, were happy. we lose, youre happy. its a great sign that maybe the rivalry is coming back a bit. which is great cuz im only 23, and all i have are old vhs tapes of nhl classics that my father has.

that being said i think wideman will be more than worth it before we even get to the end of this year. as long as we keep him away from shootouts

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 06:01 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
I agree with Brian Burke - the second contract has disappeared. Players now go from an entry level contract to megabucks. Wideman is a perfect example....600 grand to 4 million after one good year. I'm not condemning the opinions of Bruin posters who've come here, nor am I condemning the Bruin player Wideman. I am disappointed with what the pay scale has become, and the GM's who've made it so.....

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...8-c43855f6fb71

It's obviously going to take more than a salary cap to stop some National Hockey League general managers from spending money like drunken sailors.

In a world of drunken sailors, Gainey looks like the designated driver.
Wideman got just under 4mm and had 19 G and 42 A over the last two years. Hamrlik is at 5.5mm and had 12 G and 52 A.

You can argue that Roman has had more than one good year. But then you'd have to say you want to pay Hamrlik for what he did a lot more than two years ago.

The extra 1.5mm is for Hamrlik's defensive experience. So 4mm for Wideman is not outrageous at all if he continues to improve. Some of that pay is for they expect him to do for them later.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 06:06 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
i admit, i frequent this board often. other than where i fit in, this is the only board with decent conversation. i rarely post here though.

this is getting ridiculous. heres why:
we post about you guys all the time
you post about us all the time
habs fans have recently laughed at us on our board for meddling in their business
bruins fans have recently laughed at you for meddling in our business
and its making everybody involved look foolish.
were all just as guilty as the next guy who insults the others' fanbase/team

face it, you care about what the bruins do, we care about what the habs are doing. you lose, were happy. we lose, youre happy. its a great sign that maybe the rivalry is coming back a bit. which is great cuz im only 23, and all i have are old vhs tapes of nhl classics that my father has.

that being said i think wideman will be more than worth it before we even get to the end of this year. as long as we keep him away from shootouts
Agreed, so then why is the same Vic who said we shouldn't troll on his board, come here and troll on ours and summon us...?

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 06:16 PM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Agreed, so then why is the same Vic who said we shouldn't troll on his board, come here and troll on ours and summon us...?
ask him i cant speak for him, and wont get involved in personal issues. i will defend him to a point, afterall hes still a bruins fan like myself, but im not going to go hunting down all the posts he/responders have made to each other. im just trying to play peacekeeper, which is probably a lost cause over here with the avatar im sporting i digress.

i love you guys, i really do.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 06:57 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
ask him i cant speak for him, and wont get involved in personal issues. i will defend him to a point, afterall hes still a bruins fan like myself, but im not going to go hunting down all the posts he/responders have made to each other. im just trying to play peacekeeper, which is probably a lost cause over here with the avatar im sporting i digress.

i love you guys, i really do.
These boards are stealing each other's lunch money and pulling each other's hair. I think there's a playground crush deep down.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 07:29 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Too bad Wideman will always be associated to the Boyes trade because he is really a solid Dman. I like him a lot, great signing Imo.

lol.... the boyes trade.....

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!

I don't think it's possible for a team to finish 15th in a division....considering there are only 5 teams in each division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
lol.... the boyes trade.....
Worked out great for Boston.

A 25 year old defenseman who can put up 35+ points, average 25+ minutes a game, and contribute on both ends of the ice? It's a win-win trade for both teams - too bad on HF, there has to be a winner for each trade.

Quote:
Ask Beaker, I'm not trolling. Show me a post where I'm trolling.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-22-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Wideman's is not a typical second contract. He's already 25 years old. Also, its term includes two UFA years.

Recent second contracts include:
O'Byrne
Lapierre
AKost
Halak
Grabovsky

Third contract:
Gorges

Only 1 out of these 6 guys got a Cap Hit over $1.1M
Not a typical 2nd contract because he's 25? Does he get an extra million from Chiarelli because he's 25? Those recent second contracts you've mentioned were all negotiated by Gainey, and they all show financial restraint. He's one of the few GM's in the league who seems to be able to show control in that area.

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 12:43 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Not a typical 2nd contract because he's 25? Does he get an extra million from Chiarelli because he's 25? Those recent second contracts you've mentioned were all negotiated by Gainey, and they all show financial restraint. He's one of the few GM's in the league who seems to be able to show control in that area.
It's not usual because Wideman played an extra year of Junior, then started his pro career in the AHL during the lockout. This doesn't happen that often. Most importantly, it is not typical because this "second contract" includes two UFA years, whereas typically, the second contract ends one year before UFA status.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote