HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jessiman Offered QO, Jessiman Accepts (Post #71)

Old
07-22-2008, 05:29 AM
free0717

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Spoke to Hugh earlier today (Yeah, yeah...my ONE and ONLY NHL connection)....

He was offered a QO and he accepted, hes not sure when it will be announced officially.

Very happy with this (and to the "omg you only care cause he was a 1st round pick, if he wasn't..you would think this is terrible...well I give you few a big and watch a few pack games for once if your going to comment)

Cant hurt at all to have him in the AHL next season after the season he just had, he's only getting better.

I'd hope you guys would think im being legit, and trust me by now. I'm not BSing.
Do you know if his contract is a one or a two way deal?

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Blueblood 2

If Hugh is as smart as that college degree would indicate, he is training on how to be a great fighter/enforcer every day this summer. He could easily be an upgrade over Colton Orr if he became a legit heavyweight enforcer. That is his ticket to MSG. He has more hockey skill than Orr.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
If Hugh is as smart as that college degree would indicate, he is training on how to be a great fighter/enforcer every day this summer. He could easily be an upgrade over Colton Orr if he became a legit heavyweight enforcer. That is his ticket to MSG. He has more hockey skill than Orr.
It's not as easy as everyone makes it out to be. Fighting on skates takes years of in game training. Balancing while boxing is not gonna help much if you can't do it on skates.

The great thing about hockey is that you can be any size and still be able to take down guys bigger than you. Domi, Langdon, Avery - fighting & hitting, you think our fans would learn a thing or two by now.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:17 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Now confirmed by Sam

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:19 AM
chosen

Quote:
Orr has no NHL hockey skills yet he still might have more than Jessiman.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Do you know if his contract is a one or a two way deal?
I think all QO dealf for RFAs are one-way. So he gets his NHL paycheck even in HFD, but at least it doesn't count against the cap.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:29 AM
eco's bones

Orr is slow as molasses but he's solid on his skates. Jessiman has skills and a nice skating stride when he gets going but at least going back to last season's training camp--he is not solid on his skates which was part of the reason he got embarrassed by Downie.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 12:04 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
In terms of fighting ability, Jessiman has a loooooong way to go before he is even uttered in the same sentence as Colton Orr. Orr would mutilate Jessiman. Orr is smart defensively, is a top 5 Heavyweight in the league, has devasting punching power, is in his mid 20's and has improved his overall game every single season. What else do you want from an enforcer? When you combine age, salary, fighting ability and willingness to improve there isn't a single enforcer in the league I would rather have then Colton Orr. Brash and BGL are better overall players then Colton but are on the wrong side of 30 and make 2x's as much as Colton.

As for Jessiman. Someone like Squishy would be better equipped to describe his fighting ability and wheter or not it has improved since pre season last year when a smaller Steve Downie made a mockery of him. Jessiman displayed some of the worst balance I've seen from a player in that Downie fight. He let a smaller opponent completely neutralize his size advantage. I think realistically the absolute best case scenario for Jessiman in the agitation/fighting department is that he can become a Voros type player with more skill.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 12:23 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Orr has no NHL hockey skills yet he still might have more than Jessiman.
Ha, c'on now. Orr only scored 2G/12P in 125 AHL games, Hugh had 18G/42P in 71 games last year.

Hugh has a ton more skill then Orr, as does pretty much everyone.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 02:35 PM
texascrazy horse

I like hugh as a player and i like him playing more rough(fighting) but he got KO'd or TKO'd by the little &*^( downie... please he is almost a foot taller, who will he be able to beat in an NHL fight? brian rafalski, paul kariya?

texascrazy horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 03:02 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I think all QO dealf for RFAs are one-way. So he gets his NHL paycheck even in HFD, but at least it doesn't count against the cap.

Does Hugh have to pass through waivers to go to Hartford?

If so, is Hugh subject to waivers when/if called up?

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Black Tank

I'm puzzled by the anti-Jessiman tirades. For an organization that has always been undersized, is currently undersized both in NYC and Hartford, and is routinely criticized for being soft, why the hate for a 24 year old 6'6" 230 lber that put up 41 pts in 72 games and was third on the Pack in pim??????

He's not expensive, not a lockerroom cancer and is content to wait (maybe forever) in the AHL. This is a no-brainer re-signing. I hope he can be a fourth line player that hits and drops the gloves for the Rangers one day. If not, what did we really lose????

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:54 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
I'm puzzled by the anti-Jessiman tirades. For an organization that has always been undersized, is currently undersized both in NYC and Hartford, and is routinely criticized for being soft, why the hate for a 24 year old 6'6" 230 lber that put up 41 pts in 72 games and was third on the Pack in pim??????

He's not expensive, not a lockerroom cancer and is content to wait (maybe forever) in the AHL. This is a no-brainer re-signing. I hope he can be a fourth line player that hits and drops the gloves for the Rangers one day. If not, what did we really lose????
They hate him because he is 24 years old and has no upside, when he should have been in the NHL when he was 22, banging some bodies and chipping in some goals.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post

Getzlaf,Brown,Perry,Seabrook,Parise,Kesler,Richard s,Steve Bernier,Eaves, and Brian Boyle for starters.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 08:07 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d a n n y View Post
Getzlaf,Brown,Perry,Seabrook,Parise,Kesler,Richard s,Steve Bernier,Eaves, and Brian Boyle for starters.
No, we lost that in 2003 - and if you want to hate someone for it, hate Sather, not Hugh. With this signing, we lose nothing.

C'mon, Hugh - I'm still rooting for ya, big guy.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 08:10 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
You know Hugh Jessiman? That's awesome man!

Thanks for the inside source
Do you think he knows Dan Blackburn, too? How about Pavel Brendl and Lundmark?

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
No, we lost that in 2003 - and if you want to hate someone for it, hate Sather, not Hugh. With this signing, we lose nothing.

C'mon, Hugh - I'm still rooting for ya, big guy.
Exactly, this isn't some fantasy league or video game you can reset. This is reality and reality dictates that you sign him now for what he brings now.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 01:29 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascrazy horse View Post
I like hugh as a player and i like him playing more rough(fighting) but he got KO'd or TKO'd by the little &*^( downie... please he is almost a foot taller, who will he be able to beat in an NHL fight? brian rafalski, paul kariya?
his balance is horrible, heck i think steve mckenna has better balance not that id take him over jessiman.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 01:56 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Ha, c'on now. Orr only scored 2G/12P in 125 AHL games, Hugh had 18G/42P in 71 games last year.

Hugh has a ton more skill then Orr, as does pretty much everyone.
NHL skills doen't mean just scoring goals. Skating is a tad more important and as bad a skater as Orr is, is he worse than Jessiman?

There is a reason that the prized young draft pick hasn't shown his face in the NHL and it's not a matter of politics. They desperately want him to make it.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote