HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Bruins fans affection for Bergeron

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2008, 08:24 PM
anarmandaleb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
But the Leafs already finished behind the Bruins with Sundin in the lineup last season.
Ah, but you forget that now they have the Finger

Seriously, people who think that the Bruins won't push for the division don't know what they're talking about.

Old
07-22-2008, 08:24 PM
AH

Quote:
But the Leafs already finished behind the Bruins with Sundin in the lineup last season.
So? The Leafs also had the worst coach in the history of the NHL behind the bench (I am not kidding - check Maurice's career numbers). With Ron Wilson, he is going to make them play boring ass, tough hockey which will garner more points than last year.

Old
07-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Here is the record of both teams against the rest of the NHL.
MTL:39-25-10 for 88 points
BOS:41-22-11for 93 points

We had pretty much an injury free season. They missed one of their top players for the whole season.

I dont know what kind of reasoning you guys are using but it's certainly not objective.

Too bad Boston is part of the NHL last time I checked...

That has the be the worst reasoning in a long time, it's not an it's coming from Boston.

Toronto had a perfect record against Detroit, I guess it means Toronto > Detroit

Old
07-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
So? The Leafs also had the worst coach in the history of the NHL behind the bench (I am not kidding - check Maurice's career numbers). With Ron Wilson, he is going to make them play boring ass, tough hockey which will garner more points than last year.
Ah, but the Bruins were in the top five with man games lost to injury (the other four teams in the top five didn't make the playoffs). Hell, they went two weeks without Thomas or Fernandez in net - a recipe for disaster.

It's alright, people like to underestimate the Bruins because they don't play a flashy style of hockey.

Old
07-22-2008, 08:30 PM
AH

Quote:
Ah, but the Bruins were in the top five with man games lost to injury (the other four teams in the top five didn't make the playoffs). Hell, they went two weeks without Thomas or Fernandez in net - a recipe for disaster.

It's alright, people like to underestimate the Bruins because they don't play a flashy style of hockey.
They dont play hockey period ... that's my problem with them. For a team with so much supposed young talent, they play talentless hockey. At least Toronto will be playing that style out of sheer need.

No Leaf fan will ever deny that. But Bruins fans will try to make us believe otherwise about their team. Either the Bruins are talentless hacks, or their organization is not playing up to their strengths.

Something doesn't fit here, and it is definitely not the perceived bias of other team's fans.

Old
07-22-2008, 08:31 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
I honestly thought this was a thread on the B's board - it was in the Northeast section.
Because threads about the Bruins' would be "OT" in the Bruins' section

Old
07-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Because threads about the Bruins' would be "OT" in the Bruins' section
I saw Bruins fans and Bergeron, didn't even notice the OT at first.

It's alright, continue with the personal attacks and irrelevant posts. I'm not the one that will get in trouble.

Old
07-22-2008, 08:38 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post

That has the be the worst reasoning in a long time, it's not an it's coming from Boston.

Toronto had a perfect record against Detroit, I guess it means Toronto > Detroit
That's your reasoning my friend. It's totaly the opposite of what I just did. If you dont understand it dont call it the worst reasoning.

My reasoning is check their record against the other 28 teams.

Some times teams like match well against an other (example...from you....Toronto vs Detroit) that's why it's a good idea to see what they did outside of that sample. What these stats said is other teams arround the league have a bigger challenge against Boston then against Montreal. That's why the other 28 teams had a easier time against Montreal then Boston.

I just did it to illustrate how the confrontations between the two teams has had an effect on poeple's opinion. We feasted on Boston. I dont think well do the same this season. The mental blockage was dealth with in the playoffs.

Old
07-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
They dont play hockey period ... that's my problem with them. For a team with so much supposed young talent, they play talentless hockey. At least Toronto will be playing that style out of sheer need.

No Leaf fan will ever deny that. But Bruins fans will try to make us believe otherwise about their team. Either the Bruins are talentless hacks, or their organization is not playing up to their strengths.

Something doesn't fit here, and it is definitely not the perceived bias of other team's fans.
Talentless hockey? It's the type of hockey that has kept the Devils atop the East for well over 10 years.

The Bruins did lack the offensive talent to play a run and gun style last season. No Bruins fan will deny that. However, with Bergeron healthy, Ryder, and Krejci and Kessel maturing into fine young players, the Bruins will be much better this season offensively.

Julien's style fits the team perfectly - it also allows the team to captialize on other team's mistakes and dominate them - Examples are when they beat Ottawa 4-0 and Pittsburgh 5-1 in back to back games.

Old
07-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

another freakin Bruins Thread.

We beat them every year, season, playoffs, etc...what else is there to do or say? Next year is next year.

I bet if we lose even 2 games against them, people on this board will freak.

Old
07-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
That's your reasoning my friend. It's totaly the opposite of what I just did. If you dont understand it dont call it the worst reasoning.
The point was, stats can say whatever you want them to say.

The only one that matter is 1. Montréal. 8. Boston. Maybe next year it will be the opposite (which I doubt) since anything is possible. But this will never change. 2007/2008 1. Montréal. 8. Boston.

Remember that Hamrlik was a bad acquisition in your words, because Flames fans said so (We all know how it ended up). Maybe you should refrain from reading other boards.

Old
07-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Montrealer

Awesome thread.

I know, I know, use the ignore thread feature. Will do.

Old
07-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
I though Bruins fans were supposed to be the obsessed ones...

Basically the point of this thread was for you to say that you would not only be willing to trade Bergeon for Malkin, but you'd also be willing to trade some of our players? Awesome, so would every GM in the league.

While we're at it, why don't I mention a thread I read about Lucic on the Bruins board to say that I would be favour of starting Carey Price 75% of the time next year. It makes about as much sense and is just as relevant.

Tonight you're not Quiet Robert but Crabby Robert. You're acting like an old woman who calls the police when she she sees someone drop a chewing gum wrapper on the pavement. Besides, you're not tracking well. I discussed the reactionsof fans and you inserted that banal tidbit about GMs willing to trade for Malkin into the thread as though you were imparting pearls of wisdom. Duh! We've come to expect better of you, Quiet Robert, and you're disappointing us.

Old
07-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

We had pretty much an injury free season. They missed one of their top players for the whole season.

I dont know what kind of reasoning you guys are using but it's certainly not objective.

Thats a very good point. As much as I hate the Bruins....they aren't as far behind us as we think.

Bergeron is an important player for the B's and him not being in the lineup all last season meant the loss of about 60-70 points. Now we don't know what post-concussion Bergeron will be like, he might not be able to perform the same as he once did....but I guess we'll find out when the season starts. Ryder could also find his game in Boston under his old coach Claude Julien. Anything is possible.

But that being said, the Habs didn't exactly get weaker with the moves they made so far. Tanguay will make more of a difference then people realize. He is a good offensive player and will give us 2 good scoring lines. If Sundin happens to sign in Montreal then I don't think it'll matter what the Bruins do.....they won't be able to stop us.

Old
07-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

Yes thats right, but if we didn't beat the Bruins 8 times and they happened to beat us 8 times....they would have finished 1st and we wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

After the scare they gave us in the playoffs, shutting down our offense and banging our smaller guys around and taking us to 7 games.....we need to keep a close eye on the Bruins.

If Fernandez happens to play a full season, he could provide some solid goaltending for them, Ryder COULD score 30 goals again next season or even more and Bergeron could come back without missing a beat and put up 80 points. There are a lot of IF'S in that statement.....but a lot can happen.

I hate the Bruins....but I'm not going to pretend that they couldn't have a good season and beat us 8 times.

Old
07-22-2008, 10:00 PM
znk

Quote:
The point was, stats can say whatever you want them to say.

The only one that matter is 1. Montréal. 8. Boston. Maybe next year it will be the opposite (which I doubt) since anything is possible. But this will never change. 2007/2008 1. Montréal. 8. Boston.

Remember that Hamrlik was a bad acquisition in your words, because Flames fans said so (We all know how it ended up). Maybe you should refrain from reading other boards.
What the stats say 74 game sample against 28 teams Boston was the better team. You can use your 8 game sample against 1 team to make it say what you want but I'm quite comfortable with the size of my sample. And these stats are alot less subjective then what a guy like Hamrlik can bring to a team.

Anyway the notion that Boston is a laughable team is ridiculous and the only thing happening is some of our fans making fools of themselves.

Old
07-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The Bruins board has a thread that asserts the Bruins are the 3rd best team in the NHL--on paper. ...
What kind of paper what that written on? The same kind of paper that put us as not qualifying for the series and made us a team with no offense?

Dont prove it on 'paper'; prove it on the ice. We trounced the B's all year long and the only reason they took the series to the limit is the desperate goon tactics that almost payed off. This wont happen this year.

Bergeron is a great player but he must play a full year and not get injured and since he's good he will be the target of a lot of hits, thats the nature of the game.

The B's play a very physical game that exposes their bodies to a lot of injuries and also exposes their best players to retaliation, and its not Lucy the Cross-Dresser or Shawn 'wait for me' Thornton who are going to scare anyone in this league.

Old
07-22-2008, 10:13 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
What kind of paper what that written on? The same kind of paper that put us as not qualifying for the series and made us a team with no offense?

Dont prove it on 'paper'; prove it on the ice. We trounced the B's all year long and the only reason they took the series to the limit is the desperate goon tactics that almost payed off. This wont happen this year.

Bergeron is a great player but he must play a full year and not get injured and since he's good he will be the target of a lot of hits, thats the nature of the game.

The B's play a very physical game that exposes their bodies to a lot of injuries and also exposes their best players to retaliation, and its not Lucy the Cross-Dresser or Shawn 'wait for me' Thornton who are going to scare anyone in this league.

so let me get this straight with thomas in nets and a 2nd line that includes sturm and whassisname from calgary - the guy who injured his leg - this is a team that is 3rd on paper? did ryder make a plane and float it from the press box with that paper? what is there beyond chara (maybe wideman) on D?

i don't know about the lot of you, but i watched most of the B's games on the insufferable NESN and they ain't a 3rd place team on paper. further fulien's play-not-to-lose system is going to wear thin.

they work hard, i give them that, but Clod's getting canned if he doesn't let the guys who can skate on that team play with a bit more flair. kessel, ryder, savard, etc are not made for trapping hockey.

Old
07-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Go Habs Go

They overvalue their team and we do the same, whats the problem?

Old
07-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Yeah but we finished 1st in our division, 1st offensively in the whole NHL... i dont think we overvalued out team that much. A lot in here last year were thinking we'd finish 6th or 7th.

If there's one thing, we under-valued the Habs. We NEVER believed we were the "3rd best team in the NHL" either on paper on on the ice.

Old
07-22-2008, 10:19 PM
couz

Quote:
When we were barely squeezing in the playoffs we weren't thinking we were one of the top teams on paper the following year.

Old
07-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Habs finished first, Bruins finished 8th. Lets see if Julien can keep them focused more than 1 year.

Old
07-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

ok, can anyone read this post? Puter probs here. Just checkin'...

Last edited by Ice Poutine: 07-22-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old
07-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Ah, but you forget that now they have the Finger

Seriously, people who think that the Bruins won't push for the division don't know what they're talking about.
You know this in July? Give me a break, predictions are worthless at this point. They, just like the Habs, could fold big time or underachieve, it happens to teams every year.

Why could I not think they won't push for the division anyways? Because Bergeron's back, because of Thomas, Krejci and Lucic? The Bruins played a highly disciplined type of game, let's see how long Julien can keep them in line because if he loses the lockerroom, they're not making the post-season.

Old
07-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:

I agree with you on this topic, again.

But I disagree that it's about reasoning - it's simple arrogance.

Closed Thread