HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Blog World

Old
07-22-2008, 10:14 PM
dashingsilverfox*

vCash: 500
OT: Blog World

Interesting piece from Staples regarding moves in the Blog World. Second item.

http://communities.canada.com/edmont...y/default.aspx

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Giant Moo

Okay, DSF, time for me to borrow your resident curmudgeon title.

The item you linked to is kind of like discussion about a soap opera. Except instead of fictional characters, it's people talking all about themselves and their small group. Who is writing for which blog? Will their blog be the bloggiest? Who has the most cleverest pen name? Blog blog blog.

After reading who Staples interviewed, it looks like I know one of the people behind Oilers Nation from school (and his brother). I think he's a great guy and I hope he does well. But that doesn't change my general distaste for narcissism so prevalent in the "blogosphere".

There's a Oilers blog by a moderator on here which is quite good except that every posting has to begin with 2 or 3 paragraphs of something to do with baseball, and then describe things like how much ice time someone will have as how many "at-bats" they will have. Mixing sports and mixing metaphors at the same time. I don't get it.

Sheesh! End rant.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 11:37 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Okay, DSF, time for me to borrow your resident curmudgeon title.

The item you linked to is kind of like discussion about a soap opera. Except instead of fictional characters, it's people talking all about themselves and their small group. Who is writing for which blog? Will their blog be the bloggiest? Who has the most cleverest pen name? Blog blog blog.

After reading who Staples interviewed, it looks like I know one of the people behind Oilers Nation from school (and his brother). I think he's a great guy and I hope he does well. But that doesn't change my general distaste for narcissism so prevalent in the "blogosphere".

There's a Oilers blog by a moderator on here which is quite good except that every posting has to begin with 2 or 3 paragraphs of something to do with baseball, and then describe things like how much ice time someone will have as how many "at-bats" they will have. Mixing sports and mixing metaphors at the same time. I don't get it.

Sheesh! End rant.
Well my friend?, we actually share many views on the "blogosphere".

I got in a whole lot of excrement last night when one blogger compared Horcoff to Larry Walker which just sent me into a shiver.

There is indeed a self congratulatory network of folks who have anointed themselves the all knowing priests of hockey based on stats that would make the Jesuit pursuit of "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" look like an empty search for the fountain of youth.

I don't want to start another **** storm here, but they have convinced themselves Horcoff is a top ten centre in the league despite an overwhelming amount of evidence to the contrary. But, like any piece of conventional wisdom, if it's repeated often enough, especially in a small circle of like minds, it becomes the gospel and can only be questioned under the threat of burning at the stake.

Having said that, there are some very acute minds, MC79 and Mirtle come to mind, who also have some perspective and a view of the big picture.

The blogosphere is an emerging source of valuable information, partially due to the lack of real journalism evident among MSM sports reporters, but there are also huge red flags that need to be raised because, other than folks like Mirtle, they have none of the constraints that MSM face daily.

Sorry for the ramble.

Old
07-23-2008, 12:25 AM
hockeyaddict101

Have they annointed themselves the be all or end all? Or have some posters treated them that way? Anyone can start a blog but that does not mean that what is written is the be all and end all and I am sure most of the bloggers realize that.

I think the people that write them do it because they love it.

I am actually quite new to the whole blogosphere thing. I have only started reading many of them over the last few days as BBO asked me to post more links to the blogs.

I can't say (so far) that I have read anything out there that was really enlightening, but some of the points were interesting some of it entertaining. To me that is the point.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 12:30 AM
IslandOilerFan

Quote:

WOW! You can't be badmouthing LT? Seriously? His is the first blog I read, and I find his style, analysis and conclusions to be engaging, realistic and about 3x as readable as what passes for print journalism in Edmonton.

IslandOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 12:32 AM
IslandOilerFan

Oh, and I also give large props to Jonathan as well, articulate and engaging, with some pretty unique perspectives. He's my second read 'o the day!

IslandOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 12:35 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandOilerFan View Post
WOW! You can't be badmouthing LT? Seriously? His is the first blog I read, and I find his style, analysis and conclusions to be engaging, realistic and about 3x as readable as what passes for print journalism in Edmonton.
He wasn't bad mouthing Lowetide.

He was giving an opinion on what he prefers.

Frankly I am not a huge baseball fan so most of his baseball analogies go completely over my head though I do remember Larry Walker and his role with the Expos so I got that one (yeah me)

So would I prefer he didn't use baseball analogies? Yes, but that is certainly not an insult to Lowetide but a personal preference.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 12:57 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Have they annointed themselves the be all or end all?
As with all generalizations there is a mix but I am afraid that the sentiment is largely true. It detracts from some good discussion I am sure but I am afraid that DSF and Giant Moo are more correct on this one than wrong. Posters on this board would be their favourite target.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 01:01 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
As with all generalizations there is a mix but I am afraid that the sentiment is largely true. It detracts from some good discussion I am sure but I am afraid that DSF and Giant Moo are more correct on this one than wrong. Posters on this board would be their favourite target.
Agree completely. The things I post on my blog are not (generally speaking) of interest to HF Oil. That's why I started the blog.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 01:04 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
Agree completely. The things I post on my blog are not (generally speaking) of interest to HF Oil. That's why I started the blog.
Ah, I think you may be wrong there and perhaps your motivation may have been different but I'm just speculating. In any case, I wouldn't go a day without reading your blog since I appreciate the art if not the science.

Old
07-23-2008, 01:05 AM
okgooil

Quote:
Personally I love baseball and the analogies are great for me.

Any way, I am kind of lost in the blog world, I think quite a few start it and get a big ego, then (and perhaps without even really realizing it) change the subjects of the blog to whatever gets hits.

That being said some are very good, I read Lowetides a lot and it is, well very good.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
I often times dis-agree with you, but the fact that you don't ooze arrogance definitely gains you a TON of respect from me. You don't act "better" than anyone, you've just got your way of looking at things, and writing, and for that you get a from me.

07-23-2008, 01:07 AM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Ah, I think you may be wrong there and perhaps your motivation may have been different but I'm just speculating. In any case, I wouldn't go a day without reading your blog since I appreciate the art if not the science.
But why don't you appreciate the Science of the Art

Old
07-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Well my friend?, we actually share many views on the "blogosphere".
Oh wondrous day.

Quote:
There is indeed a self congratulatory network of folks who have anointed themselves the all knowing priests of hockey based on stats that would make the Jesuit pursuit of "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" look like an empty search for the fountain of youth.
I don't mind people analysing statistics so much as I mind narcissism prevalent in so many blogs (and not necessarily Oiler blogs). I find it the antithesis of journalism. The author should never make themselves be the news.

A few years back there was a story in the ed Journal supplement (when it was still printed) where one of their writers did this whole huge piece all about herself. I found it the most conceited piece I've ever read, and I got a letter to the (ed)itor printed the next week voicing my disapproval. I think that author is now doing "entertainment" journalism, which I don't think is a coincidence.

Oh, and I would like to live the rest of my life without having to see another blog with the words "random thoughts" in the title (or anything like that -- like "random musings from...").

Quote:
The blogosphere is an emerging source of valuable information, partially due to the lack of real journalism evident among MSM sports reporters, but there are also huge red flags that need to be raised because, other than folks like Mirtle, they have none of the constraints that MSM face daily.
Agreed, and number one issue is anonymity. How many times have Oiler blogs posted arguments which were not only wrong, but potentially libelous? Things that would get a regular newspaper sued?

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 01:09 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
But why don't you appreciate the Science of the Art
Alrighty then...I believe you owe me an explantion.

Old
07-23-2008, 01:11 AM
okgooil

Quote:
Alrighty then...I believe you owe me an explantion.
I am drunk

Old
07-23-2008, 01:18 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Oh, I don't think I'm wrong lol. Prospect evaluation using math is the biggest disconnect between my blog and HF, but there are others. I don't think most HF readers give two hoots about minors to majors projections or the impact of injuries on development (aside from a specific injury to a specific player).

Myself, I like to think of the lesson baseball teaches us. Whitey Herzog won a World Series in 1982 with one home run hitter and 7 jackrabbits. The next season, Baltimore won with by beating the tar out of the other side with the three run homer.

It's all good.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 01:18 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
I am drunk
No problem friend. Getting close myself.

Old
07-23-2008, 01:20 AM
theoil

Quote:
Actually I would disagree with that LT. This board is poorer for the decision of many of the bloggers to leave. I have said many times before and repeat it again here. There are about 25 posters on this board that are very knowledgable about hockey and others (like myself) who like to follow the conversations and chip in with the odd comment or question. And then there is a lot of nonsense. I tend to ignore the nonsense for the most part. Others find that difficult or annoying.

The alternative (blogging) ends up one of two ways as near as I can see. You either end up with only those who accept the central thesis of the blogger commenting -which means that you end up with a form of religious homogeny and little in the way of response.

Or you end up with a popular blog like yours which will (over time) attract pretty much the same group that comes to this site. I see the latter happening on your blog already as your fame spreads. Bruce, one of your regular visitors, is excellent as I am sure you know.

That said if you are having fun I am sure that is all that matters but I miss your threads over here.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 01:25 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Oh, I don't think I'm wrong lol. Prospect evaluation using math is the biggest disconnect between my blog and HF, but there are others. I don't think most HF readers give two hoots about minors to majors projections or the impact of injuries on development (aside from a specific injury to a specific player).

Myself, I like to think of the lesson baseball teaches us. Whitey Herzog won a World Series in 1982 with one home run hitter and 7 jackrabbits. The next season, Baltimore won with by beating the tar out of the other side with the three run homer.

It's all good.
I've often thought about how a MLB team would do with 9 .300 hitters in the lineup with average pitching and defense.

But in a team sport, like hockey and unlike baseball which is essentially 1 on 1 in most situations, don't you have to try and assemble a squad with the best possible player at every position?

Or do you believe the '82 world series has lessons in the hockey sphere?

Old
07-23-2008, 01:34 AM
okgooil

Quote:
I've often thought about how a MLB team would do with 9 .300 hitters in the lineup with average pitching and defense.

But in a team sport, like hockey and unlike baseball which is essentially 1 on 1 in most situations, don't you have to try and assemble a squad with the best possible player at every position?

First a team would do bad if the 300 hitters all had 320 OBP. All comes down the OPS really.

Baseball is a team sport like hockey, way differnt dynamics. Both you try and have the best players at every position, as good as possible under your restrictions.

Any way, Like I have said before, that is why I hate the word elite. The team does not have to have Elite talent to win, that is just a made up word to make statistics simple. A team has to score more goals, or runs than the other team. THere are a million ways to do that, in hockey and in baseball.

Old
07-23-2008, 01:37 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
First a team would do bad if the 300 hitters all had 320 OBP. All comes down the OPS really.

Baseball is a team sport like hockey, way differnt dynamics. Both you try and have the best players at every position, as good as possible under your restrictions.

Any way, Like I have said before, that is why I hate the word elite. The team does not have to have Elite talent to win, that is just a made up word to make statistics simple. A team has to score more goals, or runs than the other team. THere are a million ways to do that, in hockey and in baseball.
Yes there are but don't you think the chances of that happening increase geometrically if the players you have are more skilled than the opposition?

Old
07-23-2008, 01:40 AM
okgooil

Quote:
Yes there are but don't you think the chances of that happening increase geometrically if the players you have are more skilled than the opposition?
Of course, but where does the world Elite enter the picture???

It does so when people want to simplify everything.

Old
07-23-2008, 01:47 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Of course, but where does the world Elite enter the picture???

It does so when people want to simplify everything.
Elite, as you have said yourself is subjective, and very hard to define. But, in a one goal game, would you rather have Horcoff or Crosby on the ice to try and tie the game?

Would you rather have Lidstrom or Souray trying to keep the puck out of your net?

There are players who are at another level and, if the opposition has them and you don't you won't be successful.

Old
07-23-2008, 01:56 AM
MrOiler

Quote:

That's an interesting point. I've always thought that with a more team oriented sport like hockey/football it was the overall comparative strength/lack of weaknesses by each line that made a playoff team a winner. Call it overall balance. I have a pet theory that it's the 3rd/4th lines that are the real differentiators ... or course, I can't prove it.

The first lines rarely get much better, but the role players seem to really step it up on championship teams. And it's very hard to hide a weak line/player over a 7 game series.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote