HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

O/T: Will Johan Santana catch a break this season?

Old
07-22-2008, 09:14 PM
BwayBshirt

vCash: 500
O/T: Will Johan Santana catch a break this season?

I'm watching this disgusting 9th inning vs. the phillies and i'm thinking to myself "what a waste of an outing".

i know he hasn't been great this season but he still has been better than good IMO and it always seems something bad is happening in his starts whether it's him or the team around him or both.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 09:34 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
That was actually pretty amusing to watch, but I'm a Yankees fan...

On a serious note...why did the Mets take Santana out anyway? He threw 105 pitches..big deal. They got him for games like this. If he hit some trouble, then take him out, but especially with Wagner unavailable, let him start the inning. That was a very strange decision.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 09:42 PM
NYReign

Who pitched in the ninth? I just saw the carnage afterwards, rough nights for Mets fans... on the plus side, Yanks are up to 10 games over .500

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 09:43 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Duaner Sanchez started the 9th, gave up 3 straight hits, Joe Smith relieved him and should have got an out but Reyes inexplicably decided to go for a tough play on a speedy Shane Victorino at 2nd, Feleciano relieved him and gave up hits to Taguchi and Rollins and then Heilman finished the inning.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 09:45 PM
NYReign

I guess Wagner is the best of their options after all...still not saying much. Ah this wasn't such a big game lol you can afford to blow a lead for your ace against your rival who you're tied for first with... no big deal

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 09:56 PM
The Thomas J.*

I just can't get to optomistic about this Met team doing anything when I see 9th inninngs like this.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 10:12 PM
2Leetch_94

Listening to WFAN should be amusing tomorrow.

2Leetch_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Sorry to hijack but on a baseball related note is anybody else pulling for Mussina to get his first 20 win season of his career? Great player whose done more than enough to earn it if you ask me especially considering most doubted whether he would even hold a spot in the rotation by this time in the season.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 10:47 PM
McRanger23

Im a die hard Met fan so I was so angry after that disgusting ninth inning I went on a thirty minute walk around my neihborhood to clear my head, and make sure i didnt destroy my big-screen TV. Im over it now though, and I am expecting the Mets to win the next two after this disgusting display.

end rant

Good Night

McRanger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

the met game reminded me of the rangers-habs/Pens game

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 12:45 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
Who pitched in the ninth? I just saw the carnage afterwards, rough nights for Mets fans... on the plus side, Yanks are up to 10 games over .500
Amen to that

But yeah, I caught the end of the game; the Mets bullpen absolutely imploded and blew it. I feel really bad for Santana.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I'm lucky I have a TV set after that fiasco. : To me, it all started when Endy Chavez (?) was sent home on that deep single to right field and was tagged out at home in the 7th. If we had gotten one or two more insurance runs in that inning, I think the Phillies would've folded. I'm also surprised they didn't let Santana pitch the complete game.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 09:02 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Santana should have been left out to pitch the ninth, IMO. With Wagner on the shelf, give your ace a chance to go the distance.

As horrendous as that game was, the Mets need to put it behind them. If they take the next two, they'll be a game up. Nothing wrong with that.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 09:10 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I'm lucky I have a TV set after that fiasco. : To me, it all started when Endy Chavez (?) was sent home on that deep single to right field and was tagged out at home in the 7th. If we had gotten one or two more insurance runs in that inning, I think the Phillies would've folded. I'm also surprised they didn't let Santana pitch the complete game.
He got thrown out twice at home. The first time on a throw from left field with no outs. The 3rd base coach had a bad game.

On the surface, I have no problem with them taking Santana out after 8, even with Wagner not being available. Given his pitch count and the fact that they had a 3 run lead, it wasn't a bad call.

But I think this situation highlights a problem in baseball right now with managers being such slaves to pitch counts. The more you baby pitchers, the more they will need to be babied. 10 or 20 more pitches wouldn't have killed Santana and they probably would have gotten the win.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 09:48 AM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Duaner Sanchez started the 9th, gave up 3 straight hits, Joe Smith relieved him and should have got an out but Reyes inexplicably decided to go for a tough play on a speedy Shane Victorino at 2nd, Feleciano relieved him and gave up hits to Taguchi and Rollins and then Heilman finished the inning.
i think u are being too kind to reyes on this one, he forgets how to play fundamental baseball and should be going for the sure out not try to be the "man" and do everything himself! yes the pitching sucked but smith got his man to do what he should have until reyes and his selfish style of play blew it open! i would effin punch a guy in the face if he played like that on my team!

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 09:54 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

How many fewer games do you think Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Juan Marichal and countless others would have won if they were lifted for a pinch-hitter after 8 strong innings to bring in a "Closer"?

Santana's the ace of the Mets' staff. Let him pitch a complete game.

I didn't watch the game, so please excuse me if Santana was lifted for any "legitimate" reason.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 09:59 AM
Forever Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Sorry to hijack but on a baseball related note is anybody else pulling for Mussina to get his first 20 win season of his career? Great player whose done more than enough to earn it if you ask me especially considering most doubted whether he would even hold a spot in the rotation by this time in the season.
I am. Mussina's been one of my favorites since his Baltimore days.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
He got thrown out twice at home. The first time on a throw from left field with no outs. The 3rd base coach had a bad game.

On the surface, I have no problem with them taking Santana out after 8, even with Wagner not being available. Given his pitch count and the fact that they had a 3 run lead, it wasn't a bad call.

But I think this situation highlights a problem in baseball right now with managers being such slaves to pitch counts. The more you baby pitchers, the more they will need to be babied. 10 or 20 more pitches wouldn't have killed Santana and they probably would have gotten the win.
I will say, that on Endy's 2nd throw out at home, it was a perfect throw by the outfielder.

Yeah, that Reyes play was a head-scratcher. He's had a bunch of head-scratching errors and plays this year.

Old
07-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Stepan Razor

yeah but the second play where aguayo sent chavez was a pretty horrendous call. it was a looping base hit and chavez didn't get a great jump on the play because he wasn't entirely sure it was going to fall.

when in doubt, keep the runner on 3rd and you have 2nd and 3rd, no out. it was pretty much a no-brainer to me, i was in the stadium going nuts.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Daily View Post
yeah but the second play where aguayo sent chavez was a pretty horrendous call. it was a looping base hit and chavez didn't get a great jump on the play because he wasn't entirely sure it was going to fall.

when in doubt, keep the runner on 3rd and you have 2nd and 3rd, no out. it was pretty much a no-brainer to me, i was in the stadium going nuts.
Yeah, no doubt it was a bad call by Aguayo, but had the throw been just a bit off he'd been safe.

Old
07-23-2008, 11:08 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Yeah, no doubt it was a bad call by Aguayo, but had the throw been just a bit off he'd been safe.
But the risk/reward for sending him is not worth it. Both times you have top hitters coming up who just need sac flies to score that run.

What I don't understand is why Manuel took Santana out - especially if you know that Wagner is not available.

07-23-2008, 11:19 AM
ogie

he'll catch a break, once he is no longer playing for the muts.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
But the risk/reward for sending him is not worth it. Both times you have top hitters coming up who just need sac flies to score that run.

What I don't understand is why Manuel took Santana out - especially if you know that Wagner is not available.
He was the second hitter up in the bottom of the eighth inning, so I guess Manuel was looking to tack on some more runs.

I agree with a few people here, leave him in and see what happens in the ninth.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 11:26 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
He was the second hitter up in the bottom of the eighth inning, so I guess Manuel was looking to tack on some more runs.

I agree with a few people here, leave him in and see what happens in the ninth.
I understand that. But if Wagner is not available, it changes your decision about taking Santana out. You need the best chance to get three outs in the ninth more so than they needed to tack on runs.

What's interesting is what Manuel would have done if the lead-off hitter had reached base. He probably would have left Santana in to bunt.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I understand that. But if Wagner is not available, it changes your decision about taking Santana out. You need the best chance to get three outs in the ninth more so than they needed to tack on runs.

What's interesting is what Manuel would have done if the lead-off hitter had reached base. He probably would have left Santana in to bunt.
Interesting point but I think he was coming out anyway. http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/gam...=.jsp&c_id=nym

"One potential choice would have been to allow Santana, who threw 105 pitches in eight innings, to come back out for the ninth inning. But Manuel cited Santana's inexperience with heavy workloads as justification for calling on Sanchez instead."

At only 105 pitches, I would have started him in the 9th with Heilmann and Feliciano warmed up in case he was needed.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote