HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Is the following statement a fact or an opinion?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-23-2008, 02:35 PM
  #26
The New Originals
Registered User
 
The New Originals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: A.V. Land
Country: United States
Posts: 5,068
vCash: 500
how can i view an opinion as wrong?

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:37 PM
  #27
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
very true but nevertheless an opinion not a fact
Even a cursory examination of human decision processes shows us that we use rather complex rules of induction all the time for extremely important decisions. To say that these decisions are just a matter of opinion is technically correct but it borders on lunacy. To state that the Sun will continue to shine tomorrow and appear to rise in the East and set in the West is an opinion. It's solely induction by enumeration. But we would call someone crazy if they were to state the opposite opinion without a convincing argument. Similarly, saying things such as "Wayne Gretzky is a bad hockey player" or that "Christian Bale can't act" really isn't in good faith when one is presented with all available information.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:37 PM
  #28
Big#D
__________________
 
Big#D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
Christian Bale is a good actor.

Fact or opinion?
It is an opinion posed as a statement of fact.

To clarify you would need to add something like "in my opinion" or "I think" to your statement.

Adding "The fact is" or "In fact" to an opinion statement such as that does not increase or decrease its factual nature.

As a matter of fact, Christian Bale isn't a very good actor at all.

That would be a statement of opinion by someone who cannot differentiate between fact and opinion no matter how much I agree or disagree with the opinion.

Big#D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:40 PM
  #29
Epoch
Registered User
 
Epoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
Christian Bale is a good actor.

Fact or opinion?


You made a new thread for this? Is it because you all of a sudden bowed out of the other thread?

Honestly, you have the maturity of a five year old. (FACT!)

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:44 PM
  #30
ZDH
Registered User
 
ZDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletproof Scales View Post


You made a new thread for this? Is it because you all of a sudden bowed out of the other thread?

Honestly, you have the maturity of a five year old. (FACT!)
you suck at life. (FACT)

and what's the point in arguing with batman fanboys like yourself?

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:45 PM
  #31
Big#D
__________________
 
Big#D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I've backed my argument up with definitions and logic. Your argument consists of... Nothing.

Get over it.

When an opinion is widely accepted it becomes a fact. The fact that you can't recognize that is not my problem. I'm done with this argument.
This is hilarious. This was exactly my point. Stating "The fact is" doesn't make anything more factual.

Everyone once believed that the world was flat. This does not make the statement "The world is flat" a fact. It was a belief widely accepted during the time.

The fact that the world is spherical can be proven factually. Therefore the statement "The world is round / spherical" can be shown to be factual (i.e. there is proof substantiating the statement).

Big#D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:46 PM
  #32
ZDH
Registered User
 
ZDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingasitseems View Post
how can i view an opinion as wrong?
Everyone views some opinions of others as wrong all the time.

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:46 PM
  #33
Epoch
Registered User
 
Epoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
you suck at life. (FACT)

and what's the point in arguing with batman fanboys like yourself?
You ran away!

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:47 PM
  #34
ZDH
Registered User
 
ZDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletproof Scales View Post
You ran away!
Yea I left the thread because it's pointless...

and look at yourself, how can you try and bust on my maturity level with the bs you are constantly spewing?

I'll ask again, what's the point in arguing with batman fanboys? It can't lead anywhere positive.

Hell some posters over there don't even know the difference between fact and opinion...

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:51 PM
  #35
Epoch
Registered User
 
Epoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
Yea I left the thread because it's pointless...

and look at yourself, how can you try and bust on my maturity level with the bs you are constantly spewing?
Yeah, that must be it. All that rambling you did, it all of a sudden got "pointless". Keep telling yourself that.

That's it! I'm done with this thread! I'm not going to argue with a fact-vs-opinion-fanboy. I'm out!

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:54 PM
  #36
ZDH
Registered User
 
ZDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletproof Scales View Post
Yeah, that must be it. All that rambling you did, it all of a sudden got "pointless". Keep telling yourself that.

That's it! I'm done with this thread! I'm not going to argue with a fact-vs-opinion-fanboy. I'm out!
The same things were being said back and forth, I can't change your mind you can't change mine = pointless to argue

how does that not make sense to you

I could've stayed on that thread all ****ing day long but i wouldn't have gotten anywhere...

the movie sucks go cry yourself to sleep over it

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 03:00 PM
  #37
Rick Sanchez
Wub a lub a dub dub
 
Rick Sanchez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Center of nowhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,780
vCash: 500
So, this thread is basically the biggest waste of time.

We get it, you didn't like TDK, the fact that you cannot stop complaining means there is more wrong with you than the rest of the world

Rick Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 03:00 PM
  #38
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
The same things were being said back and forth, I can't change your mind you can't change mine = pointless to argue

how does that not make sense to you

I could've stayed on that thread all ****ing day long but i wouldn't have gotten anywhere...

the movie sucks go cry yourself to sleep over it
Everyone in this thread is pro-choice.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 03:02 PM
  #39
ZDH
Registered User
 
ZDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Baron View Post
So, this thread is basically the biggest waste of time.

We get it, you didn't like TDK, the fact that you cannot stop complaining means there is more wrong with you than the rest of the world
I'm not the biggest fan of letting someone rip on me and not saying something back...

I'm still amazed at the stupidity displayed by one certain poster though...I feel embarrassed for him

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 03:06 PM
  #40
Rick Sanchez
Wub a lub a dub dub
 
Rick Sanchez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Center of nowhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
I'm not the biggest fan of letting someone rip on me and not saying something back...

I'm still amazed at the stupidity displayed by one certain poster though...I feel embarrassed for him
The ridiculous part is, that you didn't rip back at him in the same thread. Instead you started a different one, in a different board. Basically you just wanted the gratification yourself, you had no intent on saying anything back.

Rick Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 03:50 PM
  #41
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,357
vCash: 500
Fact.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 03:56 PM
  #42
Masao
Registered User
 
Masao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 10,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I've backed my argument up with definitions and logic. Your argument consists of... Nothing.

Get over it.

When an opinion is widely accepted it becomes a fact. The fact that you can't recognize that is not my problem. I'm done with this argument.
Isn't that Kant's theory of objectivity?

But there are opinions that have been widely accepted in certain times and in certain cultures, but which are no longer so.

Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 04:15 PM
  #43
The n00b King *
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Scatbox-less :(
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,861
vCash: 500
Meh, I've heard dumber things.

It's an opinion.

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 04:22 PM
  #44
Rover*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 13,845
vCash: 500
Fact. Bale rocks.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 04:37 PM
  #45
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao View Post
Isn't that Kant's theory of objectivity?

But there are opinions that have been widely accepted in certain times and in certain cultures, but which are no longer so.
Kant's theory attempts to save knowledge from human subjectivity but it really has more to do with we generally consider scientific knowledge and not the social norms of various cultures.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 05:02 PM
  #46
Ti-girl
Registered User
 
Ti-girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Merida, Mexico
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Guys, DO NOT turn this into a personal attack thread.

It's now being watched. One more comment about "stupidity" and such and it's locked.

__________________
"I channeled my inner Morneau, took the stick and hit the mother****** to the moooon!"
Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.