HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

O/T: Will Johan Santana catch a break this season?

Old
07-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
But the risk/reward for sending him is not worth it. Both times you have top hitters coming up who just need sac flies to score that run.

What I don't understand is why Manuel took Santana out - especially if you know that Wagner is not available.
Yeah, it was a stupid with no outs.

Pulling Santana is the big headscratcher. All the blogs are talking about it.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 01:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Interesting point but I think he was coming out anyway. http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/gam...=.jsp&c_id=nym

"One potential choice would have been to allow Santana, who threw 105 pitches in eight innings, to come back out for the ninth inning. But Manuel cited Santana's inexperience with heavy workloads as justification for calling on Sanchez instead."

At only 105 pitches, I would have started him in the 9th with Heilmann and Feliciano warmed up in case he was needed.
Inexperience with heavy workloads? What are you paying him for?

07-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Yeah, it was a stupid with no outs.

Pulling Santana is the big headscratcher. All the blogs are talking about it.
heres a bigger headscratcher... why didn't Santana put up any argument? It was his game to control and he should have been pissed to be taken out and said something to stay in. It just seems he is too content.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:24 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Some people don't want to hear this but the Mets problem is they don't have enough Americans on the team.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
Some people don't want to hear this but the Mets problem is they don't have enough Americans on the team.
wasn't going to say it ... but I agree 1000000000000000000000000000000%

Old
07-23-2008, 02:45 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
heres a bigger headscratcher... why didn't Santana put up any argument? It was his game to control and he should have been pissed to be taken out and said something to stay in. It just seems he is too content.
i saw this same opinion in the daily news by tim smith...and it's sorta silly i think.

as big as this game is, you don't get pissed in this spot at this point in the season if you're the player. if this was september then i'd buy it. but july? no way.

common sense rules here. and common sense should have told manuel to keep him in to start the inning.

p.s.- will rhoden wrote an equally dumb article in the times regarding wagner not being more adamant about wanting to pitch in the game last night. in fact one line was "billy, what would mariano rivera have done?"

when will ppl stop trying to compare the mets to the yankees. it's utterly stupid and as a mets fan i sure as hell don't.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:45 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Well he was taken out between innings. Should he be pitching a fit in the clubhouse or the dugout? Then he'd just look immature and hot-headed.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:46 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
now i won't necessarily disagree but i'm curious...how many americans do the yankees have by comparison?

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I wasn't going to touch this one because I'm sure I'll think your answer is absolutely absurd and will take us down a path we really don't want to go down, but.... Care to explain?

Old
07-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Huh? That's like saying the Rangers need more Canadians on their team. I'm sure/hope there is logic behind this statement, and I would love to hear what it is.

Old
07-23-2008, 02:55 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Huh? That's like saying the Rangers need more Canadians on their team. I'm sure/hope there is logic behind this statement, and I would love to hear what it is.
No no, it's less Europeans. Because Europeans are soft and heartless, remember?

Old
07-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
No no, it's less Europeans. Because Europeans are soft and heartless, remember?

Right, and only American players can be dominant closers, or not make a mistake at shortstop. Sorry Mariano, you don't cut the mustard!

Old
07-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Rags225

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well he was taken out between innings. Should he be pitching a fit in the clubhouse or the dugout? Then he'd just look immature and hot-headed.
I don't think its immature or hotheaded... its being competitive and showing a fire.

way back in the day the Sandy Koufax couldn't lift his left arm, which was black and blue all over. The doctors told him that if he tried to pitch there was a chance they would have to amputate his arm or he would lose full use of it... you know what he did. he pitched over 300 innings each year the next 2 season and won the cy young both years.

so if Santana can't pitch over 105 pitches, and he basically said it himself by not trying to go out there than all you have is a lazy overpaid athlete. he could have went out, he should have went out and most importantly HE SHOULD HAVE THE DESIRE TO GO OUT.

Old
07-23-2008, 03:22 PM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
What about the redsox last season....look at thier roster and see how many americans they had....you will be surprised who had more.....and yes thats the team that won it all last season

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 03:41 PM
nyrmessier011

I had an entire explanation typed out, but everyone is so God damn sensitive I won't even bother. The way the organization is run is a little fishy. Jesse Jackson can call Obama the N-word on fox but I can't criticize the Mets on a forum for having too many hispanics.

Old
07-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
I had an entire explanation typed out, but everyone is so God damn sensitive I won't even bother. The way the organization is run is a little fishy. Jesse Jackson can call Obama the N-word on fox but I can't criticize the Mets on a forum for having too many hispanics.
The fact that you can't differentiate between these two is enough reason for me.

Plus, who owns the Mets? A rich white guy? Yeah, I thought so...

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 04:13 PM
nyrmessier011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
The fact that you can't differentiate between these two is enough reason for me.

Plus, who owns the Mets? A rich white guy? Yeah, I thought so...
Oh please, relax. And I dont understand the point you're trying to make. The owner is hispanic so he should hire a hispanic GM to bring in mostly hispanic players? Instead of ignoring that crap and building a winning team...i dont get it

Old
07-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Oh please, relax. And I dont understand the point you're trying to make. The owner is hispanic so he should hire a hispanic GM to bring in mostly hispanic players? Instead of ignoring that crap and building a winning team...i dont get it
The owner is a rich white guy. Are you saying even he is being naive, that Minaya is bringing in all hispanics w/o hearing boo from his owner?

I don't get thsi stuff some Met fans are chosing to believe. Minaya also signed Wagner & traded for Church who was one of your best players before he got hurt. Anything fishy with that?

Old
07-23-2008, 04:33 PM
nyrmessier011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
The owner is a rich white guy. Are you saying even he is being naive, that Minaya is bringing in all hispanics w/o hearing boo from his owner?

I don't get thsi stuff some Met fans are chosing to believe. Minaya also signed Wagner & traded for Church who was one of your best players before he got hurt. Anything fishy with that?
I'm not even a Mets fan, but if I was I wouldn't like the way Minaya has run the team, and Wilpon does zero, probably because he is 70 someting right? Owners don't care as long as the seats are full anyway, look at Dolan. Everyone but Cuban is just about making money in sports. If I was a Met fan I would be pissed off right now, in particular about being .500 after a huge collapse last year, blamed on what else with this team, leadership. They have none, and could use an articulate American voice in the room. That's all I'm saying, that's what I would want if I was a Mets fan after last year and this first half.

Old
07-23-2008, 04:36 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
David Wright?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
I'm not even a Mets fan, but if I was I wouldn't like the way Minaya has run the team, and Wilpon does zero, probably because he is 70 someting right? Owners don't care as long as the seats are full anyway, look at Dolan. Everyone but Cuban is just about making money in sports. If I was a Met fan I would be pissed off right now, in particular about being .500 after a huge collapse last year, blamed on what else with this team, leadership. They have none, and could use an articulate American voice in the room. That's all I'm saying, that's what I would want if I was a Mets fan after last year and this first half.
First off, people in baseball have been fired for comments like this(articulate american voice!?), so i don't think i'm being too sensitive. Secondly, who you're describing here, like SBOB said, is David Wright !

Old
07-23-2008, 04:46 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
David Wright?
One can not deny the fact that the Mets have well more than their share of Latino players. Omar Minaya is somewhat biased.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
One can not deny the fact that the Mets have well more than their share of Latino players. Omar Minaya is somewhat biased.
Mets have like 15 latinos, Yanks have 10. Wow, what a difference.

Old
07-23-2008, 04:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post

So which teams don't have enough Latin ballplayers?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
So which teams don't have enough Latin ballplayers?
Red Sox does it even matter, if you can play ball it shouldnt matter if your from Zimbabwae or Antartica.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote