HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Line ideas

Old
07-20-2008, 07:21 PM
mm6492

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Earning or outplaying.. Two different things.

Downie is too slow for Carter as well as Briere but he fits nicely with Richards. No way he takes Lupuls spot.
agreed

downie has to improve his speed with briere and carter being 2 of our centers. they both need fast guys to play with aka upshall. i love downie as much as anyone, but he will have to beat out upshall for his minutes

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:01 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Earning or outplaying.. Two different things.

Downie is too slow for Carter as well as Briere but he fits nicely with Richards. No way he takes Lupuls spot.

Knuble worked well with Carter and is slow... All Downie needs to do is skate as well as Knuble, which shouldnt be hard, combined with having more skill than Knuble, he should work fine with Carter....or I should say if they didnt work, I dont think the speed would be the reason

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:27 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Knuble worked well with Carter and is slow... All Downie needs to do is skate as well as Knuble, which shouldnt be hard, combined with having more skill than Knuble, he should work fine with Carter....or I should say if they didnt work, I dont think the speed would be the reason
would downie be able to fill knuble's role though? knuble was a big guy, able to play in traffic and take hits to make plays/score garbage goals. downie isn't afraid of tough play, but as a smaller guy, can he be the cleanup guy like knuble?

i actually like knuble. when he leaves, i think his presence will be missed. hartnell is the closest to replacing knuble, but i don't know if having one would be enough.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
would downie be able to fill knuble's role though? knuble was a big guy, able to play in traffic and take hits to make plays/score garbage goals. downie isn't afraid of tough play, but as a smaller guy, can he be the cleanup guy like knuble?

i actually like knuble. when he leaves, i think his presence will be missed. hartnell is the closest to replacing knuble, but i don't know if having one would be enough.
There is no one on the roster that is stronger along the boards and on the puck then Downie. He also has very good vision and some finishing ability. I think that Giroux fits slightly better with Carter then Downie does because of his speed and I wouldn't want both of those guys on the same line, but I do think that Downie would produce well feeding the puck to Carter.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
You think?

If Downie can skate on Carters line he can skate on Brieres line as well. I mean why not? Anyway, I do not think it is that easy.

I would keep Upshall Carter Knuble line together at least at the beginning of the season (unless Knuble lost another step or two like he did last year, at the beginning of last year). Downie did nothing to deserve that spot.

Playing Downie on RW with Metro (who is better then Dowd) in his 2nd year is not such a bad idea. He will learn a thing or two (hopefully?).

Last edited by Kaktus*: 07-21-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 09:54 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post

I think he would be a slightly different role than Knuble, but it would still work. We all keep saying that Carter needs a playmaker on the wing, Downie is an excellent playmaker/passer and I think it would work. Upshall does the forechecking, keeps the puck along the boards....Downie gets it out to Carter who scores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288 View Post
There is no one on the roster that is stronger along the boards and on the puck then Downie. He also has very good vision and some finishing ability. I think that Giroux fits slightly better with Carter then Downie does because of his speed and I wouldn't want both of those guys on the same line, but I do think that Downie would produce well feeding the puck to Carter.
I agree Giroux fits better...I was simply saying that if Knuble worked I dont think you can say Downie wont work because of his lack of speed. I personally would rather have Downie/Hartnell/Richards together.

Quote:
You think?

If Downie can skate on Carters line he can skate on Brieres line as well. I mean why not? Anyway, I do not think it is that easy.

I would keep Upshall Carter Knuble line together at least at the beginning of the season (unless Knuble lost another step or two like he did last year, at the beginning of last year). Downie did nothing to deserve that spot.

Playing Downie on RW with Metro (who is better then Dowd) in his 2nd year is not such a bad idea. He will learn a thing or two (hopefully?).
I completely disagree with your first statement....Knuble didnt work with Briere but did work with Carter so why are you saying Downie would work with both??

I agree with keeping Upshall Carter Knuble together, I was just simply replying to the statement that Downie wouldnt work because of his skating.

Playing with Metro would be fine but I rather him play 1st line in the AHL than 4th line in the NHL, unless the 4th line is going to get some time like in Detroit.

Old
07-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Playing with Metro would be fine but I rather him play 1st line in the AHL than 4th line in the NHL, unless the 4th line is going to get some time like in Detroit.
Downie has decent natural skill, decent puck control, good along the boards, good passing but his temper and PM as well as turnovers are a killer. Kid needs to control him self. Good thing that he is young and has plenty of time to improve. His better then Eager in terms of skill. I think patience with Downie will pay off.

P.S imo Flyers ruined Eager, Beruby work.
Quote:
I completely disagree with your first statement....Knuble didnt work with Briere but did work with Carter so why are you saying Downie would work with both??
Mike goes to the net using his size. Downie does not do it yet. Not on Knubles lever anyway. He had his 1st goal going to the net. That was it. It takes time and hopefully he will learn it playing with Metro.

Old
07-23-2008, 08:06 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Downie has decent natural skill, decent puck control, good along the boards, good passing but his temper and PM as well as turnovers are a killer. Kid needs to control him self. Good thing that he is young and has plenty of time to improve. His better then Eager in terms of skill. I think patience with Downie will pay off.

P.S imo Flyers ruined Eager, Beruby work.
Mike goes to the net using his size. Downie does not do it yet. Not on Knubles lever anyway. He had his 1st goal going to the net. That was it. It takes time and hopefully he will learn it playing with Metro.
I think the issues with Downie controlling himself are way overblown....other than his suspension, there were only a couple minor instances that are typical of the situations he was in (i.e. the Blake punch) There are plenty of other players that have done **** like that in scrums. Funny how he was perfectly fine when not on the 4th line and playing a regular role with Hartnell/Richards....

I agree with you on Eager though...Even though I dont think he is without blame, I believe the organization screwed him up. They asked him to be a goon, and then complained that being a goon is all he did.

As for Downie going to the net, the guy is obviously more of a playmaker than a goal scorer if you look at his numbers in juniors, I am not overly concerned about him going to the net.

Old
07-24-2008, 02:39 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

You know it's funny, we've got all these prospects chomping at the bit and the one guy who I really think has flown under the radar is Nodl. It's almost like nobody's giving him any sort of chance to make the team. I think he could be the biggest surprise and really force the hand of the team. If he comes in and has a dominant training camp, someone will more than likely get moved to make room for him. Will it be Knuble? Will it be Upshall? Who knows, but I think Nodl is the wildcard with regards to training camp this year. I say outside of Giroux and maybe Bartulis, Nodl will be the one who bears the most watching.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 08:49 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
You know it's funny, we've got all these prospects chomping at the bit and the one guy who I really think has flown under the radar is Nodl. It's almost like nobody's giving him any sort of chance to make the team. I think he could be the biggest surprise and really force the hand of the team. If he comes in and has a dominant training camp, someone will more than likely get moved to make room for him. Will it be Knuble? Will it be Upshall? Who knows, but I think Nodl is the wildcard with regards to training camp this year. I say outside of Giroux and maybe Bartulis, Nodl will be the one who bears the most watching.
I doubt he makes the team this year but I guess you never know. I actually think he is going to be trade bait at some point in the next season or two.

Old
07-24-2008, 08:56 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
i like nodl a lot, he and maroon are my forward darkhorses for making the team out of camp. still, it's probably going to be giroux on the big team. unless downie had a hell of a summer, i'd rather he be in the A working on his skating. if he was as fast as upshall, he'd be a juggernaut.

Old
07-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
I doubt he makes the team this year but I guess you never know. I actually think he is going to be trade bait at some point in the next season or two.
I say we trade him for a young 3rd pairing dman with the potential to be, althought unlikely, a 2nd pairing dman...thats what we need!

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 12:44 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Glad im not the only Bartulis fan. He reminds me of a Ohlund type.

We have room for one of Giroux/Downie/Nodl/Maroon in the top 9, so its gonna come down to whoever wants it the most. I unlike most here am not opposed to Giroux starting in the AHL, if thats what the Boss thinks he needs.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 08:48 PM
jfc64

Gagne - Carter - Upshall
Hartnell - Richards - Loophole
Riemsdyk - Downie - Noble
Ruzicka - Metropolice - Asham

Briere - Timonen
Eminger - Jones
Vaananen - Coburn

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
Gagne - Carter - Upshall

Briere - Timonen
Eminger - Jones
Vaananen - Coburn
Somebody else want to take this one? I'm too tired.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Gagne - Carter - Upshall

Briere - Timonen
Eminger - Jones
Vaananen - Coburn
***??? lol

Old
07-24-2008, 10:10 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Gagne - Carter - Upshall

Briere - Timonen
Eminger - Jones
Vaananen - Coburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup
Somebody else want to take this one? I'm too tired.
I got it!

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Norm MacDonald

If Gagne is back and if Downie improved his skating a bit, he would be a great fit on the first line IMO. He adds grit and will get his nose dirty in the boards. Also, he has a great first pass through the neutral zone, which could complement the Briere-Gagne duo really well.

I could see

Gange-Briere-Downie
Hartnell-Richards-Lupul
Upshall-Carter-Knuble
Cote-Metropolit-Asham

Giroux stays in the AHL to develop and is the first callup when a forward is injured (which will be the whole year, knowing the Flyers).

As for D, I'd like to see Timonen and Coburn split up for most games, but play together against certain teams (mainly ones with less scoring depth)

Timonen-Parent
Coburn-Jones
Eminger-Vaananen

switching Parent with Coburn in certain games.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 09:01 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
Gagne - Carter - Upshall

Briere - Timonen
Eminger - Jones
Vaananen - Coburn
hah, i didnt think it was godawful until i noticed that he'd put briere on a defensive pairing. hahaha.

Old
10-21-2008, 12:42 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
what will the lines be like with Nodl?

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:44 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
what will the lines be like with Nodl?
I'm expecting...

Gagne-Briere-Knuble
Hartnell-Richards-Lupul
Upshall-Carter-Nodl
Cote-Metropolit-Asham

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:58 PM
FlyersCup08

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
I'm expecting...

Gagne-Briere-Knuble
Hartnell-Richards-Lupul
Upshall-Carter-Nodl
Cote-Metropolit-Asham
Switch Nodl and Knuble and I'm happy.

Trade Knuble and fire Stevens and I'm ecstatic.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:01 PM
kicksave27

Anthing with richards, carter, briere at center, with a forth line of metro, asham, cote. That worked them them all last year. Just stick with it, same with the d pairings. Constantly juggling lines, especially dmen parings is not a good recipe for success. Stevens, needs to act like he has a plan and not just a monkey throwing crap at a wall to see what sticks.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
I'm expecting...

Gagne-Briere-Knuble
Hartnell-Richards-Lupul
Upshall-Carter-Nodl
Cote-Metropolit-Asham
Ideally, I'd rather see Nodl with Briere and Gagne and Knuble with Carter and Upshall. Or maybe even put Nodl with Richards and Lupul, moving Hartnell to the top line and Knuble down with Carter.

Either way, let's just hope Noodle isn't on Stevens' hit list.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
Switch Nodl and Knuble and I'm happy.

Trade Knuble and fire Stevens and I'm ecstatic.
He didnt make the team out of camp and now we want to just throw him on the first line against every other team's top lines and top defense? No thanks. Just because hes the best player ont he phantoms and a good prospect does not make him a 1st liner yet.

Gagne-Briere-Hartnell
Knuble-Richards-Lupul
Upshall-Carter-Nodl

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote