HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA, European & Juniors Prospect Discussion (no AHL)

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2008, 04:35 PM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
NCAA, European & Juniors Prospect Discussion (no AHL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Below are the links to the HockeyDB profiles of our prospects in the order that we voted them in. Editing to follow to add the rest as they are added. Can we sticky this?

Alexei Cherepanov

Bobby Sanguinetti

Artem Anisimov

Lauri Korpikoski

Michael Del Zotto

Evgeny Grachev

Michael Sauer

Derek Stepan

Dane Byers

Ryan Hillier

Corey Potter

Greg Moore

Carl Hagelin

Brodie Dupont

Miika Wiikman

Tomas Zaborksy

Tom Pyatt

Mitch Gaulton

Tomas Kundratek

We had a thread for these players during the season, but I guess it got deleted. Seeing as how there is a Hartford thread already, I figured I'd create one to discuss the rest of the prospects.

One of my favorite prospects is Carl Hagelin. I found a nice writeup about him from back in April. I don't think it's been posted before, but it's worth a read.

http://yostbuilt.blogspot.com/2008/0...ards-part.html

Quote:
#12 Carl Hagelin:
41 GP, 11-11--22, +18, 28 PIMs

Off-ice, Hagelin earned a reputation as the hardest worker on the team and things were no different on the ice. His relentless forechecking, hard backchecking, strong penalty killing and top-notch speed made him a favorite of Yost Built. It seemed like any time I rewound the DVR to see who made that great defensive play while backchecking, it was always #12.

He deserves a lot of credit for the improved defensive play of the team. When you've got a forward that works as hard as he does, it can make the life a lot easier on the defensemen and goalie. His 20 blocked shots tied Rust and Fardig for second amongst forwards (Porter, 22).

Hagelin also had one of the prettiest goals of the year when he swept around the net and then roofed one up over Jared Kaufmann in the thrashing of UNO in the CCHA Playoffs.

One of the most intriguing thoughts as we head into the offseason is will Hagelin move to center? He played there in the aforementioned series against Omaha when Matt Rust was out with a broken leg and was fantastic. It seems that all his best qualities are amplified when he plays in the middle and he was our best faceoff man this season (53.8% of 184 draws). Michigan has a ton of options at center, but it wouldn't shock me a bit to see Hagelin centering our top line next season.

2007-08 Grade: A. Yes there are a lot of high grades, but when the team loses 6 games the entire year, these things happen. It's hard to not absolutely love Carl Hagelin's game and the thought of what he'll bring to the team in the future.

Last edited by FLYLine24: 11-10-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old
07-22-2008, 05:35 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
We had a thread for these players during the season, but I guess it got deleted. Seeing as how there is a Hartford thread already, I figured I'd create one to discuss the rest of the prospects.

One of my favorite prospects is Carl Hagelin. I found a nice writeup about him from back in April. I don't think it's been posted before, but it's worth a read.

http://yostbuilt.blogspot.com/2008/0...ards-part.html
Agreed - Hagelin's one of my favorite prospects as well. I was voting for him something like 5 rounds before he placed on the prospect rankings list.

Old
07-22-2008, 11:27 PM
NYR Viper

agreed......im really excited for this kid....seems like a hard-worker with good speed and skills....i expect to see him on the rangers in 4 years

Old
07-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 895
Who else other than Hagelin and Stephan will play NCAA this year?

Old
07-22-2008, 11:55 PM
NYR Viper

campbell.....

Old
07-23-2008, 12:18 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
campbell.....
yea i like hagelin and campbell. is campbell compared to savard or is that too much??? i notice he is a playmaker.

Old
07-23-2008, 12:24 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Im going to go ahead and make this the non AHL thread for all our other prospects..if you want to make it nicer feel free too, if not i'll probably do it sometime next month.

(or if someone else wants to jump in, send me a PM)

Old
07-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks Fly.

Old
07-23-2008, 08:39 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Does anyone have any news on David Kveton, particularly where he'll be playing this season? He potted ten goals in 28 games in the Czech Extraliga, which is very good for a kid that was 19 all season. He also bagged five assists, and if I remember, they don't award secondary assists in the Extraliga.

He's always been a guy that I was interested in, since post-draft scouting reports seemed to indicate good offensive upside.

It's just pain.
Old
07-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Nich

hagelin was my favorite sleeper pick of that draft. i think we will see him the nhl one day.

Old
07-23-2008, 09:35 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Does anyone have any news on David Kveton, particularly where he'll be playing this season? He potted ten goals in 28 games in the Czech Extraliga, which is very good for a kid that was 19 all season. He also bagged five assists, and if I remember, they don't award secondary assists in the Extraliga.

He's always been a guy that I was interested in, since post-draft scouting reports seemed to indicate good offensive upside.
This is from Jess Rubenstein over at Prospect Park:

Quote:
The sad news according to Steve Zipay of Newsday is that David Kveton will be returning to the Czech Republic and that in our eyes is a major shame. In this case the blame is not on the Rangers who gave Kveton 2 more attempts to try to earn a Ranger contract more than he should have.

Kveton will most likely play hockey in Europe and perhaps make a decent living at it but because of some really bad advice is not going to develop into the player he should have been. In our eyes Kveton had all the potential to become a huge playmaker in the NHL had he stayed in North America.

Instead whoever was whispering in his ear that he was going to get more playing time in the Czech Republic while playing against a higher level of competition was wrong. Had Kveton remained in North America, he would have gotten to play on an QMJHL championship team while playing against the best teams of his age group.

Nothing angers and frustrates us more than to see a talented prospect be wasted like this.

The bigger shame is that we are sure someone will blame the Rangers here and that is so very far from the truth.
I think we still retain his rights, but like Ivan Baranka, he may be a lost cause.

Old
07-23-2008, 09:40 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
This is from Jess Rubenstein over at Prospect Park:

I think we still retain his rights, but like Ivan Baranka, he may be a lost cause.
That's too damn bad. Again, everything I read about him seemed to indicate that he was a legitimate offensive player. Well, I certainly won't hold my breath, but here's to hoping that something changes with him and he ends up coming over here in the end (for us!).

Old
07-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Add me to the list who thinks Hagelin's upside is huge. Hopefully he makes good progress this year with Michigan.

Old
07-23-2008, 11:25 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Add me to the list who thinks Hagelin's upside is huge. Hopefully he makes good progress this year with Michigan.
I agree. Some people seem to think he's a nothing prospect and I can't quite understand while the hell people aren't high on him. I'm hoping for close to a point-per-game season from him.

Old
07-23-2008, 11:38 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I agree. Some people seem to think he's a nothing prospect and I can't quite understand while the hell people aren't high on him. I'm hoping for close to a point-per-game season from him.
as a sophmore that would be very very good......considering he is playing for one of the best programs in NA and against very very good competition

Old
07-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
as a sophmore that would be very very good......considering he is playing for one of the best programs in NA and against very very good competition
If he gets moved up to the 2nd line, I could see him getting close a PPG. If they keep him as a 3rd line/checking center, I'll be happy with any consistent progress.

Old
07-23-2008, 12:50 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Yeah, I don't get it either. Counting the playoffs, he had more points (61) in 2006-07SEL J20 than both Lars Eller (60) and Mikkel Bodker (60). Eller was drafted 13th overall in 07 and Bodker was 8th overall this year. Hagelin was drafted 168 overall in 07. Hagelin is the smallest and oldest of the 3, but not by much in either case. He even had a better PPG average than Matthias Tedenby in their respective draft years.

The only reason I can see for the disparity in their draft positions is their success in international competition. Hagelin was only in 1 WJC (last year) and had 0 points in 6 games, but I'm pretty sure he was playing a 4th line checking role.

I have no idea why he wasn't invited to more WJCs or asked to play a bigger role last year, but that's the only reason I could see for him falling to the 6th round. The only negatives I have ever read about him is that he needs to get stronger (like every prospect) and he needs to shoot more (like seemingly every european).

Old
07-23-2008, 10:32 PM
squishy

Cherepanov on playing with Jagr:

Quote:
“Yes. Dreams do come true! I am very happy that I will be near this person, to play on the same team as him, to watch him. Who knows, maybe I’ll pick something up.” He continued: “We’re all happy about this. And not just because he’s a great player, but a great person. Furthermore, with him on the team with us, we no longer have the right to play below our standards.”
http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...-do-come-true/

P.S. I started a blog.

Old
07-24-2008, 01:32 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post

P.S. I started a blog.
oh no!

no no, i like your posts here.. don't go!

now you're going to start quoting yourself, and crossposting and generally be too cool for our forums since you're hitting the big time..

Old
07-24-2008, 01:33 AM
dank

from Squishy

(see now people are going to be quoting and referencing not you but your blog!)

Old
07-24-2008, 09:49 AM
9darter
Soft Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
Sure looks like he could use a few more hours in the gym...

Old
07-24-2008, 10:00 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
I was more impressed that he grew a second pair of arms.

P.S. Dank, I'm not going anywhere.

Old
07-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
I was more impressed that he grew a second pair of arms.

P.S. Dank, I'm not going anywhere.
I was going to say "wow, his hands are so good, he's got four!"

Old
07-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Forechecker

Quote:

P.S. I started a blog.

I love that quote from Artie "If You’re Spit on in the Back, it Means You’re in Front". Priceless.

Old
07-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
Seriously.

Closed Thread