HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Women's protective equipment

Old
07-21-2008, 09:57 PM
ThreeStars

vCash: 500
Women's protective equipment

I'd like some info from any of the ladies on the forum that use the shoulder pads and pants specifically designed for women.

I am particularly looking for info on the shoulder pads. I am just about to start learning hockey (I'm 27) and am getting all the gear together. Right now I have a mens shoulder pad thingy, but it doesn't really work for me as I have a bust. The chest protection plate kinda bulges annoyingly just under the arms and it just doesn't fit comfortably.

I've seen the Itech and Louisville ones on various sites but there is virtually no info about how they fit. Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks very much.

ThreeStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
I have the itech ones. They fit me really well, but then again I don't have huge boobs, so it fits well. You can adjust them....in the width...but not cup size if that makes any sense.

I don;t have the pants because they're shorter in the legs and they leave me about a 4 inch gap between my pants nad my shin pads.

07-21-2008, 10:20 PM
deanosaur

All I know
Shoulder pads have boobs inserts for you, and wear a "jill" haha

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Ti-girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
All I know
Shoulder pads have boobs inserts for you, and wear a "jill" haha
I took a slapshot off the jill and busted it.

So I have the shorts and wear a seperate one from catching. It hurt.

But I picked it out and threw it at the guy who broke it. We all got a good giggle.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Heat McManus

We've gotten good feedback from the women who bought the TPS R6 women's shoulder pads.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 10:15 AM
ThreeStars

Thanks all for the input.

One other question I have, will a medium in the women's pads be effectively the same size as a medium in men's? I know it'll differ by brand but just as a rough guess, else I'll be shelling out a fortune in shipping costs.

Old
07-22-2008, 12:55 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStars View Post
Thanks all for the input.

One other question I have, will a medium in the women's pads be effectively the same size as a medium in men's? I know it'll differ by brand but just as a rough guess, else I'll be shelling out a fortune in shipping costs.
I think most here will agree, go to your local hockey shop and try it on and buy from them. After shipping and handling you don't end up saving all that much buying online.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:39 PM
ThreeStars

Unfortunately none of the hockey shops anywhere near me stock women's stuff. I am going to speak to the guy at the rink today as I think I need new skates, so I'll see if he can give me some options.

Thanks though.

Old
07-22-2008, 03:20 PM
stick9

Find out if they can order it for you. If they carry the mens line it shouldn't be a problem. A good shop will usually do things like that if they know you will be buying other stuff there or have bought other stuff from them in the past.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:23 PM
puck_08

Get the measurments of the pants and compare to mens pants in the store..

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 08:46 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
I have the itech ones. They fit me really well, but then again I don't have huge boobs, so it fits well. You can adjust them....in the width...but not cup size if that makes any sense.

I don;t have the pants because they're shorter in the legs and they leave me about a 4 inch gap between my pants nad my shin pads.
I have exactly the opposite problem- I'm 5'1", with a long torso and short legs, and after I held up the womens pants I didn't even bother trying them on... I could tell they were going to be too long. I ended up with Junior XL in almost everything, and a Senior S in the shoulder pads. When I get new shoulder pads, I'll probably try the womens.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Ti-girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
I have exactly the opposite problem- I'm 5'1", with a long torso and short legs, and after I held up the womens pants I didn't even bother trying them on... I could tell they were going to be too long. I ended up with Junior XL in almost everything, and a Senior S in the shoulder pads. When I get new shoulder pads, I'll probably try the womens.
Yeah, well I'm about 5'10 and I have really long legs, so pants are my enemy. Seriously.

Last edited by Ti-girl: 07-24-2008 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Apparently, I'm not a midget.
Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 10:48 AM
ThreeStars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
Yeah, well I'm about 5'10 and I have really long legs, so pants are my enemy. Seriously.
I'm about 5'11" and got mens L pants (but I have hips that I have to get them over). I got some rbk ones, not sure exactly what ones though, but they are good lengthwise.

Re: the shoulder pads I went to see the guy at my rink, he sorted me out with some Easton Stealth S7 pads which contour quite well. I'll be at the rink this afternoon so we'll see how they go.