HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

i got hockey tryouts this saturday

Old
07-18-2008, 04:57 PM
araisarena

vCash: 500
i got hockey tryouts this saturday

im trying out for a travel team called the ann arbor wolves

its a bantum aa team

any tips to have a good tryout

araisarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:03 PM
MikeD

a good article from John Shorey, on hte subject of try-outs....

http://www.hockeymadeeasy.com/Hockey...out%20Tips.pdf

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 08:44 PM
vivianmb

1. work hard
2. listen to the instruction of the coaching staff
3. play to your strengths( don't try being something you're not)
4. don't psych yourself out. it's just another practice.
if you do what i've listed , you should be fine.
good luck!!!!

oh and HAVE FUN.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Nosebleed Section

Don't sit back you wont get noticed. Make plays happen.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 10:13 PM
RangersAM99

the one thing that my dad always told me is if your coach has you skate laps to get the blood moving after a drill just skate really hard then, don't be using train tracks

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 07:15 PM
araisarena

hey guys, thanx for the tips, i finished 1 of 2 tryouts and i didnt do so well, i had trouble going for stopping to backwards, and i was pretty slow, no one passed to me. What should I do to get noticed for tryout 2 next week?

Old
07-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

since you said your not the fastest skater, be very physical, stand in front of the net and try and tip shots in, and be a puck hog. Coaches will see a kid have the puck on his stick and he'd be noticed right away. Im not the fastest Skater either. What i told you is what i do, and i play Junior A.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by araisarena View Post
hey guys, thanx for the tips, i finished 1 of 2 tryouts and i didnt do so well, i had trouble going for stopping to backwards, and i was pretty slow, no one passed to me. What should I do to get noticed for tryout 2 next week?
Well, it sound like you are a little over your head with this Bantam AA try-out. It nice to stretch a little on personal goals. But if you are having problems turning and stopping backwards, then maybe this level of hockey is just too high for you.

Maybe you should be looking at playing Bantam A instead!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:23 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
and be a puck hog[/U]. Coaches will see a kid have the puck on his stick and he'd be noticed right away.
As a coach of a peewee travel team I can tell you this is terrible advice in my book. I actually cut a kid who was a puck hog in the scrimmage part of the tryout. He had solid individual and one on one skills but no concept of teamwork. He played travel hockey last year for a different coach and will be playing house this year because he refuses to pass the puck. I'd rather take a kid who hasn't had the opportunity to play travel hockey in the past, give him the benefit of two hours of full ice practices (our house program only gets a hour of half ice practice) a week and see how he progresses. In other words, as a coach I not only look for skill but I also look for team play. As Herb Brooks said, I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right players.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:43 PM
araisarena

ive always been a good player with the puck, and a pass first guy, but my skating has never been up to par with the rest of the guys, my tryout skating drills werent good, and i wasnt fast, but the shooting passing drills i was good, and even though no one passed to me during scrimmages, i always passed back and got a couple of great shots off, one that hit the crossbar, i hope my coach realizes it

ive been playing hockey 2 years, i just didnt play last season because off season fee costs, but i made a bantum a team last year, so my skating is a bit rusty

Old
07-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

Take power skating lessons if you can, that really helps.

Ether Prodigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projected View Post
Take power skating lessons if you can, that really helps.

Yeah, if your skating needs work then power skating lessons will help a lot.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
ive always been a good player with the puck, and a pass first guy, but my skating has never been up to par with the rest of the guys, my tryout skating drills werent good, and i wasnt fast, but the shooting passing drills i was good, and even though no one passed to me during scrimmages, i always passed back and got a couple of great shots off, one that hit the crossbar, i hope my coach realizes it

ive been playing hockey 2 years, i just didnt play last season because off season fee costs, but i made a bantum a team last year, so my skating is a bit rusty
Ouch! I see it every year, where kids took off for one reason or another and their skating suffered and they got cut!

Taking a power skating class is ok and a good idea...but it too late to do it now. This should have been done month's before this Bantam AA try-out.

Not that I want to be a D**k, but as a Head coach, I just want you to understand the facts. If I was the making the call right now on your team. This is now I would make the selection....

First, I look for all of the fastest skaters on the ice and I assign them each with a number 5. A number 5 player at the AA level should...

Skate like a Rocket, and have the ability to turn forward and backwards without losing an edge. Have great lateral movement from side to side with the puck and have tape to tape passing.

Second, all other players get ranked accordingly with respects to the number 5 player.

Then, at the end, I keep all of the number 5's at the try-outs, then the 4's and then the 3's. Now depending on your area, you might not have enough guys/girls to fill the team and I might have to play with the players that turned out.

However, If you are in an area of your country where hockey is your second language, then you might have a problem. This would mean that they coach would select all of the number 5's first and then there will be no room for you....sorry!

However, let me tell you this. You could be the greatest kid in the world. You could be the greatest passer in the world. But hockey is at least a minimum of 80 to 85% SKATING!

As a Head Coach, If you can't skate, I can use you. Why?

Because I need you to be up with your line mates on the attack! I need you to enter the attacking zone at full force (under pressure) and get the job done.

If any of your line mates see that you are not up to par, they will not pass to you. Not because they don't like you, they will not pass to you because they are on the move and they are trying to set up tactical plays and it's hard to do this when your line mate is still crossing the blueline. By that time, windows of opportunities are gone.

So, as a Head coach, do I take the most qualified team on the road? Or, do I pick up some players that are struggling with their skating? Before you answer that question, think about this...

As a Head coach, I am responsible for the over well being of the team, not just in winning, but in losing. In how they act on the road and how they treat other teams. The team is a reflection of the coach.

If the coach were to select you. You better start doing over time on your skating and catch up quick with the other guys. I recommend that if you get selected, you better start spending some extra time at public sessions working on your backward transition. You might want to take in some extra drop-ins to work on those transitons.

Now, if you don't want to be left behind from your friends, I recommend that you pull it together and start working on your skating...NOW!

Ya, I know...what a d**k. Send me a PM and I will send you some drills to work on that transition. It's probably too late for this year, but I can help you get ready for next year.

Head coach

Old
07-23-2008, 12:53 PM
jared37

i played for a bantam AA team last year... in tryouts there were 2 teams, and mine was brutal, but the coachs son was on my team who was the best player on the team. Anyway the point is, you always gotta set up the coaches son and pass it to him

jared37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 04:39 PM
araisarena

i just finished day 2 of the camp, again, skating was a bit shaky, but i made the team because my coach said my shooting and playmaking abilities were too good to pass up, but he talk to me in private and said before the season starts in september, he wants me to work my ass of on skating, any drills or tips to dramatically improve my skating?

Old
07-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

Quote:
i just finished day 2 of the camp, again, skating was a bit shaky, but i made the team because my coach said my shooting and playmaking abilities were too good to pass up, but he talk to me in private and said before the season starts in september, he wants me to work my ass of on skating, any drills or tips to dramatically improve my skating?
Getting into a power skating camp or even a weekly one would be your best option.

Ether Prodigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 06:55 PM
BaconStrips

Skate.
Front Squats
Run up a hill as hard as you can, walk back down, repeat
Interval train
Interval train with a dumbbell in one hand, switch hands after a set time
Body squats on a bosu ball (the ball that is half of a swiss ball, normally blue)
More up hill running, find a sand bag or something heavy to hold while doing it
go skating
go skating with a weight vest
Lunges
Lunges with off setting weight in each hand
Plyometrics
Eat more protein healthy fats so your legs can grow. Get some fish oil. Get some tuna. Get some chicken breast. Get some extra lean ground beef.

Work your ass off. Set aside two hours a day to do exercises, eat A LOT of food, healthy whole food, and hope you devlope more muscle.

BaconStrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 08:26 PM
igotnothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicBomb View Post
Skate.
Front Squats
Run up a hill as hard as you can, walk back down, repeat
Interval train
Interval train with a dumbbell in one hand, switch hands after a set time
Body squats on a bosu ball (the ball that is half of a swiss ball, normally blue)
More up hill running, find a sand bag or something heavy to hold while doing it
go skating
go skating with a weight vest
Lunges
Lunges with off setting weight in each hand
Plyometrics
Eat more protein healthy fats so your legs can grow. Get some fish oil. Get some tuna. Get some chicken breast. Get some extra lean ground beef.

Work your ass off. Set aside two hours a day to do exercises, eat A LOT of food, healthy whole food, and hope you devlope more muscle.
This should help get you in shape. I think its best to train explosively, instead of just training to be strong. Having strong legs and being able to squat 300lbs isn't enough. You want to be able to use that strength to fly up the ice. The bosu ball is a good idea, along with anything else to improve balance.

Also prepare mentally. You should write down your goals (to be a better skater) and be able to see them when you work out. This will help to motivate you. September is really close, don't slack off. If you're tired and think you can't work out, work out anyway. When you're done with your workout, do one more rep, or set, or whatever.

Best of luck.

igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 08:34 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Look into private skating lessons. Some rinks have hockey coaches who teach one-on-one power skating, or even figure skating coaches who have hockey experience. I think the best way to see a real difference between now and September would be private or small-group instruction where you know you'll get plenty of attention from the coach, AND to make a committment to going to public skate or drop-in hockey to work on the back transition and other things you know you're weak on.

A group power skating class isn't a bad option if you can find one, but full-summer classes most likely started already, and you may find a lot of the one- and two-week camps are filled.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 08:51 AM
shorre

Work hard , dont ever stop until told to do so .If u r slow then keep moving .Show the coaches that u can be effective , make the smart easy plays ie get the puck out, dont get beat .Show them u have hockey sense.I have coached many years and u cant teach hockey sense.Use what abilities u have.Dont try to much , but always work hard.

shorre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 08:59 AM
araisarena

hey guys, i just came bak from one this morning, and i found out laura stamm power skating camp is coming to the ann arbor ice cube, so im instructed hockey with power skating

Old
07-24-2008, 09:00 AM
araisarena

it starts early august and its not too late to sign up

Old
07-24-2008, 09:20 AM
GOONSQUAD

Send a message via AIM to GOONSQUAD
Quote:
hey guys, i just came bak from one this morning, and i found out laura stamm power skating camp is coming to the ann arbor ice cube, so im instructed hockey with power skating
http://www.laurastamm.com/

GOONSQUAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Headcoach

Quote:
it starts early august and its not too late to sign up
This is good. I just cancelled a power skating camp here at my rink because of limited sign up and I was having the power skating coach of the Phoenix Coyotes coming to the rink. I will have to reschedule it for Christmas.

I am in the process of sending you a link on some videos that I have posted. I'll PM you.

Head coach

Old
07-24-2008, 11:35 AM
frito

Quote:
Congratulatoins! Taek Head Coach up on his offer and PM him.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote