HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O/T Dark Knight

Old
07-22-2008, 01:48 PM
bleedblue94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
Yes, Batman fell from the same height and wasn't dead. I know two-face got a ceremony at the end. To me, this is the perfect example of when you think a villain is dead and he comes back somehow. He could very well be dead but I wouldn't be surprised if he's in part 3.
im pretty sure the suit helped protect him w the fall... two-face was dead... i mean maybe youre right but i would doubt it bc who is he going to go after in the next film? he already went after the 2 people he blamed for rachels death so i dont think it would make sense to reharsh that especially after the scene w the son

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 02:10 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

If they have no choice but to bring back the Joker for the next film (if there is a next one) I think Daniel Day Lewis would be able to do it justice after Heath went up and away with it.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 02:15 PM
NYR Viper

what about mr. freeze?......arnold could come back....lol

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 02:16 PM
NYR Viper

poison ivy, catwoman...who else is there?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 03:40 PM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
poison ivy, catwoman...who else is there?
Riddler, Clayface, Hush, Talia ah Ghoul, Harley Quinn (but, she doesn't make sense without the Joker...) and...I don't know. The Mad Hatter?

Hush would probably make the best movie, but the Hush series involved most of Batman's rogues gallery.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 03:44 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
Riddler, Clayface, Hush, Talia ah Ghoul, Harley Quinn (but, she doesn't make sense without the Joker...) and...I don't know. The Mad Hatter?

Hush would probably make the best movie, but the Hush series involved most of Batman's rogues gallery.
Bane

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I thought the movie was good but still way overhyped.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
I thought the movie was good but still way overhyped.
What do you care if you liked it?

Its like saying, yeah the 94 Rangers won the cup but their fans overhype the team. WHO CARES we still won

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 04:10 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

Its like saying, yeah the 94 Rangers won the cup but their fans overhype the team. WHO CARES we still won

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 05:23 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:

hell yeah man way to go and use a hockey analogy

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:35 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
Yes, Batman fell from the same height and wasn't dead. I know two-face got a ceremony at the end. To me, this is the perfect example of when you think a villain is dead and he comes back somehow. He could very well be dead but I wouldn't be surprised if he's in part 3.
Maybe but then you're criticizing beyond the text. You can't complain of that possibility when it's not happened.

Quote:
The storyline was truly crap. The movie started off so strong and by the time you got to the ending, all you watched was a bunch of fluff ... You have all this action going on and when the movie is over, it didn't accomplish anything.
I think the last movie was better, so I don't necessarily disagree here, but your complaint consists of "fluff" - which is only saying "crap" differently - and "it didn't accomplish anything."

Even thinking this one inferior to the last, I'd argue several things were accomplished by the end. What would you hope for it to accomplish that it failed to?

Quote:
There's even parts in the movie that could've been done without it. For example, the Asian from Hong Kong. Was his part necessary?
It's a setpiece and functions well as such. It opens the narrative out, and, frankly, it's a lovely visual sequence. There's nothing wrong with purely aesthetic moments. In any case, the argument is easily made that it serves thematic, narrative, and characterization purposes as well. Joker sets that whole sequence up when he says (paraphrasing), "Going to Hong Kong isn't going to help that guy. Batman has no jurisdiction."

The Hong Kong sequence shows:
1. Joker's intelligence and cunning, setting him apart and above from the other criminals in that he understands their rival (Batman) far better than they do. This serves character but note, too, that it establishes Joker as a more dangerous foe. That serves the narrative.

2. Thematically, it underscores Batman's vigilante nature. He really does have no jurisdiction; he proves this in that sequence.

Now, could it have been elimated and we're TOLD Batman goes to Hong Kong (or wherever)? Sure. And in that way you could dismiss it as "not necessary." On the other hand, any art isn't about including only what's necessary.

IMO it was a very good movie that, like the Reeves Superman, has secured a place among the very best of its genre. In that way it's history making. I wouldn;'t go further than that in my praise, but who says it needs more praise than that?

Last edited by dedalus: 07-23-2008 at 02:47 PM.
dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 02:43 PM
dedalus

Quote:

Fair to a degree. If you're approaching it as a limited personal experience ("I loved it!"), that's fine. On the other hand, if you're talking about its place in film history - and some people here are doing exactly that - the question of hype is perfectly valid. That is, hype matters if the discussion goes beyond "Did you like it?" to "How does it stack up against Burton's Batman? Or Ironman? Or The Godfather?"

Just as the issue of hype would be valid if the question were, "Was the '94 Rangers team one of the best of its decade?" or "Was the '94 Rangers team better than the '92 team?"

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Fair to a degree. If you're approaching it as a limited personal experience ("I loved it!"), that's fine. On the other hand, if you're talking about its place in film history - and some people here are doing exactly that - the question of hype is perfectly valid. That is, hype matters if the discussion goes beyond "Did you like it?" to "How does it stack up against Burton's Batman? Or Ironman? Or The Godfather?"

Just as the issue of hype would be valid if the question were, "Was the '94 Rangers team one of the best of its decade?" or "Was the '94 Rangers team better than the '92 team?"
Why even bring that question up? Hype is always a ******** aside to something that is good or bad.

Still makes no difference - we WON !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Vitto79

Quote:

So Scarecrow is in the first 5 minutes and then gondie

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattar18 View Post
i dont think the penguin would be a good villian. IMO i would like the riddler more.
Yes these movies are supposed to be more realistic in characters so Penguin is out, Mr Freeze could be in there if they make his freeze a gun type thing..............Riddler is the logical choice

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 05:31 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I'm a proponent of the Mad Hatter who I think should be totally insane, a chilling psychotic mess of a man that uses some form of mind control to bend the will of the people to his cause -- perhaps using their fear of the now outlawed Batman against him -- aided by the Scarecrow / Two-Face this could be a good movie. We also get Tweedledee and Tweedledum and the bizarre world of Alice in Wonderland as a backdrop for his craziness. (good imagery)

I'm not a huge fan of Bane especially because his storyline evokes the end of Bruce Wayne as Batman -- and that's not what I want to see in the movie -- Bane crippling the Batman. Plus whenever they have a super powerful physical character he has to do ridiculous things like throw people through walls and grab them by their neck and pick them up -- maybe do a super punch where they fly through the air at a 90 degree angle....

I am opposed to Catwoman, Penguin, Bane, Hush, Deadshot, Killer Croc, Clayface, Mr. Freeze (who rules in the comics), Man Bat, etc.

Personally Scarecrow and Joker are my two favorite villains so I've been very happy thus far -- but anything with the Riddler, Ventriloquist/Scarface w/the Mob, Mad Hatter, Rhaz Al Ghul's daughter, a repeat of the Joker/Scarecrow, or Two-Face and I'd remain pretty happy with the series.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 07:41 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Joker causing trouble in Las Vegas

http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp...6&nav=15MUUi4B

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 09:12 PM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
I am opposed to Catwoman, Penguin, Bane, Hush, Deadshot, Killer Croc, Clayface, Mr. Freeze (who rules in the comics), Man Bat, etc.
With Clayface you get an interesting dynamic, provided he is not the main villain. You could even bring the Ledger joker back through outtakes if Clayface is involved.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 11:24 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
With Clayface you get an interesting dynamic, provided he is not the main villain. You could even bring the Ledger joker back through outtakes if Clayface is involved.
Mainly because he's just not too believable -- you're talking about a big gooey guy that makes his hands/body into crazy shapes and stuff -- then I think it'd be a little hard to swallow for most people. I could be wrong but the way the series has gone so far it's more grounded in reality.

Don't get me wrong though Clayface is cool -- esp his animated series appearances!

Old
07-23-2008, 11:26 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
While vandalism is not cool -- they did a great job with the makeup

Old
07-24-2008, 12:30 AM
clemsonRanger

sucked, so so corny in every way the batman voice stupid, rachel awful, joke amazing RIP, but overall sucked sooooooo corny

clemsonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 01:05 AM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Why so serious?

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 06:10 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
How does it compare to The Godfather? That's really not a valid question because it just doesn't, nor could it have, no matter how well it was done. Superhero films are directed at teens in order to get them to drop their electronic devices long enough to actually experience something outside of their normal spheres.

Within the context of these kinds of films I would say that Dark Knight may have been the best I have ever seen. Then again, all of this stuff is only a matter of opinion because there is no definitive scale to use as a measuring stick.

The Godfather was great but it was directed at adults. Of course it was better than Dark Knight. But even here we are left to opinions. I preferred Goodfellas to The Godfather. I know I'm in the minority but that is my belief.

If you want to take it another step, there are lots of foreign films that I think are far better than their American counterparts. Foreign films are are often remade as American films and almost uniformly they are worse the second time around. The same thing applies to television. Some of our best shows through the years have been remakes of British shows.

Bottom line: Dark Knight is a very well made film. The directing is great. Heath Ledger is almost a lock Oscar winner and in my opinion he is very deserving of that honor. The editing and sound were also top-notch. Does it compare with The Godfather? Of course not. So what?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Wow, I finally saw it last night, and just wow. In the first movie with Jack Nicholson, his Joker WAS Jack. In this film, Ledger created a whole, new, terrifying persona. Just the way he kept using his tongue as someone else might talk with their hands was incredible.

As a closet comic geek, I didn't like some takes on the mythos, but it was great fun. The make-up on Two-Face was unbelievable.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 11:38 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Wow, I finally saw it last night, and just wow. In the first movie with Jack Nicholson, his Joker WAS Jack. In this film, Ledger created a whole, new, terrifying persona. Just the way he kept using his tongue as someone else might talk with their hands was incredible.

As a closet comic geek, I didn't like some takes on the mythos, but it was great fun. The make-up on Two-Face was unbelievable.
I'm pretty sure that was one of the few parts of the movie where they used CGI

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote