HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is hockey no longer different here?

Old
07-24-2008, 10:41 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Is hockey no longer different here?

It's nice to sit back and enjoy Rangers hockey. We've made the playoffs the past few seasons and finally have a fantastically stocked prospect base to work with.

It seems we're finally catching on to what it actually means to be successful in the NHL after years of futility.

I've gotta admit, I wasn't even really able to enjoy Rangers hockey in the late 90s/early 2000s. You can love a team, but you don't have to love anything else about them!

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

It's certainly nice to be on the upswing as an organization. I like being excited about the team an eager to talk about them. A few years ago, I didn't even want to acknowledge I was a Rangers fan.

Here's to hoping we never have to relive those dark ages ever again.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 10:54 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It's certainly nice to be on the upswing as an organization. I like being excited about the team an eager to talk about them. A few years ago, I didn't even want to acknowledge I was a Rangers fan.

Here's to hoping we never have to relive those dark ages ever again.
I think you can make an argument that it was the most incompetent period in the team's history, and that's really saying something when you've been around for over 80 years and have only four cups.

Old
07-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
I think you can make an argument that it was the most incompetent period in the team's history, and that's really saying something when you've been around for over 80 years and have only four cups.
I don't think you even need to make the argument, it's a given as far as I'm concerned. Granted I haven't been around for the entire history of the team, but at least in my (albeit short) lifetime, it was miserable.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 11:41 AM
BklyNYR4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
there's no argument to me made about it. earlier at least cups weren't being won, we were competitive. the later part of the 90's was absolutely abysmal

BklyNYR4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 11:48 AM
McRanger

Somewhere, Aneirin's head just exploded.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Isn't this thread 2 years to late?

Didn't the Rangers just make the playoffs 3 years in row playing a succesful system?

Haven't the Rangers reverted back to the craziness of the past this offseason (The contracts handed out this offseason were unNEEDED and ridicoulous) A system that doesn't fit the roster....etc...

Youth is great but does it translate to wins? If the youth excels do we even have the salary cap space to retain them? Nope....not with a guy like Naslund with a NMC and not with Redden getting $6.5M on the downside of his career.......We better hope that Zherdev doesn't get offered more money from the KHL after this season...We better hope that the cap goes up again...

We are acting like EVERYTHING is going to break right which...i mean..come on...does that ever happen?

We have bright spots and perhaps this remake will work out but it seems like the excitement that some have should be just as tempered as my pessimism......

But jon...and you know this...I hope your right........

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life View Post
there's no argument to me made about it. earlier at least cups weren't being won, we were competitive. the later part of the 90's was absolutely abysmal
The Rangers, historically, go through very brief spurts of competitiveness. And then it's back to missing the playoffs or getting knocked out early. They had one span from mid-40's to mid 60's where they missed the playoffs 18 out of 24 seasons. The 90's were brutal, but not unique in Rangersland.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It's nice to sit back and enjoy Rangers hockey. We've made the playoffs the past few seasons and finally have a fantastically stocked prospect base to work with.

It seems we're finally catching on to what it actually means to be successful in the NHL after years of futility.

I've gotta admit, I wasn't even really able to enjoy Rangers hockey in the late 90s/early 2000s. You can love a team, but you don't have to love anything else about them!
So are you trying to say that your sure we will make the playoffs this year? As SOS said, this post is 2 years too late. And since we are all youth happy, tell me, where do you see a rookie making an impact on this team this year? I don't see any spots open for a kid like Korp, Moore, Anisimov, or Potter who should be given real looks this year.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 04:07 PM
silverfish
Player Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Isn't this thread 2 years to late?

Didn't the Rangers just make the playoffs 3 years in row playing a succesful system?

Haven't the Rangers reverted back to the craziness of the past this offseason (The contracts handed out this offseason were unNEEDED and ridicoulous) A system that doesn't fit the roster....etc...

Youth is great but does it translate to wins? If the youth excels do we even have the salary cap space to retain them? Nope....not with a guy like Naslund with a NMC and not with Redden getting $6.5M on the downside of his career.......We better hope that Zherdev doesn't get offered more money from the KHL after this season...We better hope that the cap goes up again...

We are acting like EVERYTHING is going to break right which...i mean..come on...does that ever happen?

We have bright spots and perhaps this remake will work out but it seems like the excitement that some have should be just as tempered as my pessimism......

But jon...and you know this...I hope your right........
It's nice to see things presented to you from the other side of the spectrum. On one side we have the people praising Slats for bringing in all the youth, and staying competitive. On the other hand, which people don't bring up as much as they should, it should be known that we have roughly $27 million dollars locked in to players that will take us through the 2011-2012 season (when Rozsival's contract runs out). That $27 million only includes Drury, Gomez, Lundqvist, Rozsival, and Redden. That's almost half a teams salary cap invested in 5 players, only half of which are arguable superstars in the league.

I love the team, don't get me wrong, but with the way the league works now, we might not be too far away from another Dark era.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 04:28 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
It's nice to see things presented to you from the other side of the spectrum. On one side we have the people praising Slats for bringing in all the youth, and staying competitive. On the other hand, which people don't bring up as much as they should, it should be known that we have roughly $27 million dollars locked in to players that will take us through the 2011-2012 season (when Rozsival's contract runs out). That $27 million only includes Drury, Gomez, Lundqvist, Rozsival, and Redden. That's almost half a teams salary cap invested in 5 players, only half of which are arguable superstars in the league.

I love the team, don't get me wrong, but with the way the league works now, we might not be too far away from another Dark era.
admittedly, if the team doesn't make a real run for the cup then the $27m is a waste. on the other hand if they do then it will have worked out.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote