HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ott - Tbl

Old
07-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Ott - Tbl

With all the signings this offseason in Tampa, there doesn't seem to be enough room for Ouellet. They have LeCavelier, St. Louis, Stamkos, Malone, Prospal, Vrbata, Jokinen, Roberts, Halpern ect..... They are weak on defense after trading Boyle and Lukowich so I made a deal that I thought could help both teams

Quote:
OTT: Lawrence Nycholat

TBL: Michel Ouellet
Breakdown

Ottawa: We give up a solid 5th/6th/7th defenseman (probably a 5th on Tampa) and get Michel Ouellet who in my mind would fit well on a line with Spezza and Heatley or Alfredsson. I don't think Murray wants to pay Nycholat that much so he can sit in the minors, we have Schubert as our 6th defenseman now and Bell could fill in for injuries.

Tampa Bay: The Lightning trade a good winger and make room for other players to crack the roster and they aquire a great puckmoving defenseman named Nycholat. He wasn't really given a chance in Ottawa and if the Vermette for Bieksa rumor comes true we don't need his ass on the team. Nycholat was an AHL all-star this season.

It is a pretty simple deal and if it isn't fair, please tell me what team needs to add

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 09:30 PM
andora

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora
this is so inconsequential i think it works well...

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 09:50 PM
TBLbrian

i dont know anything about Lawrence Nycholat. but is he good enough to beat out the rest of the Tampa bay young defence?

Tampa's problem isn't lack of defence. its lack of EXPERIENCE on defence.

TBLbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLbrifri View Post
i dont know anything about Lawrence Nycholat. but is he good enough to beat out the rest of the Tampa bay young defence?

Well he did get 49 points in 77 games in Binghamton, so I would say yes he is good enough to play on the "terrifing" Tampa Bay defensive corps

If you don't like it, you could take Hennessy instead

Old
07-23-2008, 10:21 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
With all the signings this offseason in Tampa, there doesn't seem to be enough room for Ouellet. They have LeCavelier, St. Louis, Stamkos, Malone, Prospal, Vrbata, Jokinen, Roberts, Halpern ect..... They are weak on defense after trading Boyle and Lukowich so I made a deal that I thought could help both teams
I would do this deal in a second, not sure Tampa does though.

I understand what you're saying though - and I agree. Given the chance, I think this guy could be a very good offensive D-man. He had 8 points in 18 games in Washington before being traded here. That projects to 30+ points. Then he had a dynamite year in Bingo. I would be interested to hear what a Caps fan who say him play have to say about him. This could come back to bite us in the butt, but yeah, for sure.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
It's not horrible but I wouldn't do it for the Lightning. We do not lack depth on defense, we actually have a great deal of it, we lack a top two defenseman. Nycholat does not help at all.

29 year old defensemen with 31 games played don't excite me, I would rather give up Jokinen and a pick for a defenseman who will be an upgrade because I do not believe Nycholat is.

I would also say that there is no way Nycholat is top five in Tampa Bay.

07-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Kamina
Amok

I'll take it.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Asquaredx2

Obviously Ottawa does this, but I think Tampa looks elsewhere. I don't think Nycholat is really a NHL-calibre d-man.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLbrifri View Post
You can have Rozsival.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Well he did get 49 points in 77 games in Binghamton, so I would say yes he is good enough to play on the "terrifing" Tampa Bay defensive corps
I don't see how yet another young d-man solves any problem for Tampa, and I don't see why you need to be a jackass about it either.

07-24-2008, 12:50 AM
Rubber Soul

I think this is the best trade proposal I've seen in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
29 year old defensemen with 31 games played don't excite me, I would rather give up Jokinen and a pick for a defenseman who will be an upgrade because I do not believe Nycholat is.

I would also say that there is no way Nycholat is top five in Tampa Bay.

According to NHLSCAP.com (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=TB) Tampa has 7 defenseman under contract. 6 of them, yes, have more NHL experience than Nycholat, but 1 of them didn't play in either the NHL or AHL last year (according to NHL.com player's page) and the other isn't on the team's roster according to NHL.com
If Nycholat's production is cut in half from last season's AHL totals in a jump to the NHL, he would still out score most of the Lightning's defense. It's a random comparison, i know, but still.
May not be a top five, but he's an improvement.

Rubber Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 01:19 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

According to NHLSCAP.com (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=TB) Tampa has 7 defenseman under contract. 6 of them, yes, have more NHL experience than Nycholat, but 1 of them didn't play in either the NHL or AHL last year (according to NHL.com player's page) and the other isn't on the team's roster according to NHL.com
If Nycholat's production is cut in half from last season's AHL totals in a jump to the NHL, he would still out score most of the Lightning's defense. It's a random comparison, i know, but still.
improvement over who?

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 02:16 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post

Carle
Kuba
O'Brien
Ranger
Picard
Hutchinson (one-way deal)
Rogers (won't be on the NHL squad but should be in Norfolk this year)
Niskala (one-way deal)
Lundin (must clear waivers to go to the minors)
Smaby (prospect who probably won't make the big squad full-time this year)

Take out the two guys to spend a lot of time in the minors and you still have 8 blue liners for the Bolts.

They don't need a guy like Nycholat on their blue line. I think the ideal guy for them would've been Bryce Salvador, because he's a decent defenseman, provides a physical presence and also provides some experience on the blue line for a decent, albeit slightly inflated price.

They can still get someone like that. I hear Steve McCarthy is available.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 10:03 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Carle
Kuba
O'Brien
Ranger
Picard
Hutchinson (one-way deal)
Rogers (won't be on the NHL squad but should be in Norfolk this year)
Niskala (one-way deal)
Lundin (must clear waivers to go to the minors)
Smaby (prospect who probably won't make the big squad full-time this year)

Take out the two guys to spend a lot of time in the minors and you still have 8 blue liners for the Bolts.

They don't need a guy like Nycholat on their blue line. I think the ideal guy for them would've been Bryce Salvador, because he's a decent defenseman, provides a physical presence and also provides some experience on the blue line for a decent, albeit slightly inflated price.

They can still get someone like that. I hear Steve McCarthy is available.
Good list for the most part, but you missed off Mihalik who should make the team for the 09-10 season, and should see some time this season. As I said good list but I hope that wasnt in order?

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

I doubt Nycholat cracks their D corps. I'd pass.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
I don't see how yet another young d-man solves any problem for Tampa, and I don't see why you need to be a jackass about it either.
Sorry if I offended you, but it seems pretty clear that your defense isn't that good

Old
07-24-2008, 02:42 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Sorry if I offended you, but it seems pretty clear that your defense isn't that good
Yes that source does show that Tampas defence is rubbish.

I mean it isnt great but it isnt as bad as made out on HF, surely a better reason for last year it because of injuries and the brilliant combo that is Denis(now AHL goalie for Canadiens) and Holmqvist(who is now back in Sweden) in goal.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote