HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Prucha

Old
07-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
I believe its peoples expectations of Prucha.

Let's talk about his positives and negatives.

Pros:
Does not shy from contact
Can keep the puck deep if needed
Has decent finishing skills (for a small frame to be stationary in front of the net is a testament to his resolve)
Fast Skater
Plays Defense

Cons:
Contract
Not a playmaker or passer
Small Frame, means he gets knocked off the puck easily when he has speed.

Hmmm, sounds like a keeper, and actually would be good to keep on the 3rd line to be used on the pp with with some limited time on the top two in case of injury.

Nice post Mikey, I agree with everything here.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 01:52 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Yes, because Gomez is terrible right?

Letting go of Jagr was the right thing thing to do, and we will see if Prucha's numbers were solely dependent on Jagr. If they were then you can bet he won't be with this team next season.

You still have to give him another chance next year, especially since we are lacking in the forwards department. It's not like he's being payed 5 million. There is really nothing to lose at this point
sorry but Gomez isn't as good as Nylander at leading a PP. Nylander was great at moving around in the zone and opening up passing lanes. It's not that Gomez isn't good, he just isn't as good as Nylander was.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1594
There is no use in trading him at all unless he is packaged with another forward for a clear and obvious upgrade. When given the opportunity to produce he has done just that but his role has been very limited in the past two seasons. Until he doesn't perform when given the chance to then Prucha is still an asset to this Ranger team.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 02:51 PM
shoothepuck

Renney is a big part of Prucha's problem. If used correctly, he can be effective. He needs to adjust his game and make do with the time Tom gives him. You hope he gets the PP time that Shanny took from him and makes something of it.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Fletch

With Naslund on the left side...

and then Dawes, he won't get the time - which is why I hope he's gone before training camp.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
and then Dawes, he won't get the time - which is why I hope he's gone before training camp.
Fletch, since when is Dawes a sure thing? That guy doesn't seem like the most steady performer on the team. Dawes could be back on the Pack for all we know if he has a poor camp or start to the year like Cally last year. Prucha is the more proven player of the two.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 06:30 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
I'm excited to see Prucha get some good minutes and some PP time. I think he'll remind us why we fell in love with him..

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 06:38 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Get a 3rd for him, and move on.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 07:36 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

if munchkins like st louis, gionta and parise can play and prosper in this new faster league, why not petr? the guy oozes guts and heart and theres just something about the kid that makes you love him.

cant help but think his first seasons success proves theres game there. and his uncanny ability to know where to go and intercept pucks is a gift. having said that, he seems to get beatdown alot and long stretches on the dl seem to be a given going forward unless he learns to keep his head up when hes got the puck.

if we keep him, play him real minutes. if were gonna jerk him around again, package him with someone and let him go.

the problem for me is not whether we keep him or not but if we do, where do we play him- what line?

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 08:41 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
the problem for me is not whether we keep him or not but if we do, where do we play him- what line?
a line where someone else is gonna attract defenders (i think he'd be good with dubi, and maybe gomez a bit too) so that he can be all sneaky and get to the net without people picking him up

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
if munchkins like st louis, gionta and parise can play and prosper in this new faster league, why not petr? the guy oozes guts and heart and theres just something about the kid that makes you love him.

cant help but think his first seasons success proves theres game there. and his uncanny ability to know where to go and intercept pucks is a gift. having said that, he seems to get beatdown alot and long stretches on the dl seem to be a given going forward unless he learns to keep his head up when hes got the puck.

if we keep him, play him real minutes. if were gonna jerk him around again, package him with someone and let him go.

To be fair Prucha's skill level is nowhere near that of St.Louis or Parise.

Old
07-24-2008, 09:01 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
To be fair Prucha's skill level is nowhere near that of St.Louis or Parise.
but he plays a different game, a game that works for his skill level

Old
07-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
His name is spelled Petr.

I don't want to trade Prucha while his value is this low. Rather hold on to him and see what he can do.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 09:09 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

btw i'm slightly biased in wanting him to stick around and succeed because i have his jersey

Old
07-24-2008, 10:34 PM
BlueShirtsFan86

Quote:

Pros:
Has decent finishing skills (for a small frame to be stationary in front of the net is a testament to his resolve)
Fast Skater
Plays Defense

Cons:
Contract

Hmmm, sounds like a keeper, and actually would be good to keep on the 3rd line to be used on the pp with with some limited time on the top two in case of injury.
I agree. Prucha slumped last year and was compared to Dawes on this one year. His rookie year he had 47 points and his second year he had 40 points and his third he had 17. Each year more big names came in after his rookie, eatting up ice time, and last season it almost felt like he wasn't given much of a chance. This year I think we should see what can come of him. Can we expect Dubinsky to be just as good last year now that he may not be on the first line without Jagr? We may see what happened to Prucha with Dubinsky, and everyone seems to have a man crush on him and his full season didn't produce as much as Prucha.

Granted, they are different types of players, but the way I see some people jump on players here, I think I can expect to see it happen this upcoming season with Dubinsky. After all, Prucha was the best thing since sliced bread his rookie year, now everyone want to throw him to the sharks for anything, a la Hollweg style.

BlueShirtsFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 11:29 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Shanny took his place. If we trade him, I will cry, and laugh at the haters when he becomes a solid scorer.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 11:46 PM
NYR Viper

IMO, prucha should be traded.....with all of the players the rangers have(callahan, dawes, fritsche, korpikoski, rissmiller, voros, sjostrom) who are better than him and more well-rounded players i think they should get the spots as they will add more

people say he should be given a top-6 spot.....he wont make the first line so e would have to be on a line with drury?.....we know that doesnt work

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan View Post
I'm not comfortable tossing away a guy who scored 30 and 22 goals his first two seasons simply because he was horribly used in his third season. Clearly, he can score. He'd be a great fit on a third line, playing LW with Dubinsky and Callahan. Tack on regular PP time and Prucha should pot goals.
I am a Pruch supporter for the most part but I don't think there is anyway he can regain his rookie form with Dubinsky and Callahan. Prucha is a pure finisher and would only benefit playing with a pure playmaker.

Old
07-25-2008, 01:34 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I am looking forward to seeing how Prucha does if he is given Power Play time. Shanny took Prucha's PP time the past two seasons.
as usual, i agree with TLL, i swear i should have him write on my blog....would save me some time lol.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Fletch

Radek...

in and out of camp, Dawes is a sure thing, and that's purely what I'm talking about. Nothing in a few exhibition games should suggest to Renney that what Dawes showed last season was all a fluke. Game 10's a different story, but not i the preseason. As such, just get rid of Prucha. He wasn't part of the plan last season. And seemed to really be a filler the last couple seasons. See if his $1.6MM salary can be dumped and get a pick. Move on finally...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 09:12 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Pros:
Fast Skater
Plays Defense

Cons:
Contract

You take of other people's expectations of Prucha, but you never say what you expect.

And weighing the positives and negatives are fine but you have weigh each factor, not just list them. You say he's not afraid of contact but he's easily knocked off the puck. Is that really a positive? Saying he's not a playmaker or passed is not a small thing. Neither is his contract.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 09:18 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
For me, an admitted Prucha skeptic, it all comes down to how Renney plans to use him. If he wants to give him top 6 minutes and time on the PP in hopes he regains some of his scoring touch, I can live with that. If he's planning to put him on the bottom two lines, don't bother as there are better options (that is guys who are better suited to fill those roles) than Prucha.

So to me it comes down to making a commitment (again, top 6 mintutes, PP time) to him or dealing him now

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Lets face it. At this point in time, both Prucha and Dawes are stretches for duty in the top 2 lines. Zherdev and Naslund are our top 2 wingers...if Drury stays at center, that means Prucha and Dawes are 3 and 4 on the depth chart. Thats not good at all, and I really hope it changes before training camp.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 09:26 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
is not his problem. In my opinion, it's so overblown and exaggerated. Being knocked down most often didn't affect his ability to finish the play. He got right back up and wasn't the last one back on defense (heck, at one point around January he led the team in +/- - a decent fact for a guy who didn't score much and whose line didn't score much which means he wasn't scored upon much and he wasn't going against fourth lines). He forechecked and actually created turnovers, even with that small frame. He got open.

His problem was his inability to adjust. When he scored 30 goals, 16 of them were on the PP. The other 14 at ES were aided by his ability on the PP because he got hot on the PP and that carried into other areas. On the PP, he was mostly stationary and put away one-timers, while occasionally digging after a puck and keeping it in. 68 games, 30 goals - not bad. Was there an issue with his size scoring those goals? No. Also note that his ES time was bounced around from the first to fourth line including extensive time with Betts.

Second season - 22 goals, full season and I think he had 8 PP goals. What happened? First, his PP time was cut for Shanny, and as such, you'd expect less PP goals and less overall goals (and if you believe that a goal scorer needs to be on the PP to keep in a rhythm, you'd expect him to struggle at ES). OK, so he has less time so he needs to find a way to keep his touch. He really didn't do that. He didn't adjust well to less time and less opportunities. But hey, is 22 goals for a kid who's not a top or second line and who was played inconsistently on a PP really that bad? Again, was size really a problem here?

Third season - forget the numbers because I don't remember. This is where he didn't adjust well. He couldn't sit by the goalie and wait for Jagr's pass because even when he played with Jagr on the PP for a dozen or so games, the pass didn't happen and he needed to adjust, but didn't. At even strength he had zero chemistry with his linemates. His style didn't mesh well with Drury (and Drury by that time looked like crap having spent the first 10-15% of the season playing nearly 25 minutes per game). He did improve his defense, getting back, but the one area he never improved was his puck-handling skills. Further, his shot went in the crapper. He always seemed to be in the wrong place and never adjusted well to his linemates.

Now why is that? Part of it is coaching - he did just fine with Dubi [and Cally I believe]. Part of it is Prucha is a one-dimensional player, and that's a player who has a decent shot. His puck-handling skills are poor and haven't improved from day one. His shot do go to the potty last season, which went downhill gradually throughout; seemingly the guy was discouraged, as well as a lack of adjustment, which he needs to take blame for.

Can he play at his size? Absolutely. Can he play in this league? It has to be in the right situation. He can keep the puck in, but don't ask him to handle it. He can get off a shot, but he's not going to create that opportunity himself and his lineamates need to get him the puck. Can he still score PP goals? He really needs to do more than sit on the goalie's right and wait for the puck - but if you can get him the puck consitently, he'll put away more than his fair share. Is that opportunity here in NY? Not on Renney's team. He's looking for better puckhandlers, in my opinion, and I don't fault him for that - it's his team and he needs to feel comfortable. I do feel that while many players were given long leashes, Prucha was not. Everyone put it on Prucha, but he wasn't afforded opportunity after opportunity despite what he did for the Rangers that, say, a Hossa was afforded. I can't say why - perhaps Renney didn't think Prucha was the type of player he wanted, which, again, is just fine - it's his team and he's going to win and lose how he feels comfortable. I just think there is a place in the league for Prucha.
I like your analysis Fletch.

Its refreshing to see reasoning other than just "he's small" or "he's not a top line guy"

I agree with a lot of what you have to say, but i recall a Prucha in 05-06 that could handle the puck pretty well. To me its all about confidence. Having played the game and fallen in and out of it myself, i know how important it is to have that in this game, and more importantly to receive it from the coaching staff and players around you. That makes a huge difference for some people.

It my belief you got to give him a shot if your Renney. And if you can't move him then you have to give him top minutes and stick with him. Show him that you want him here. Give him PP time. Sit him down and say "you've made this team and you are a big part of it now". See how he reacts.

I'm pretty convinced theres still a player in there. Having him with Gomez and Naslund or even Zherdev will help his game because he doesnt have to carry the puck as much. Yeah his shot went to **** last year, but you could tell he was holding the stick too tight.

Hey i could be wrong, but i really do see this as more of a confidence issue. When the kid gets hot, he tears it up. Theres nothing in the world he loves more than scoring in the Garden. You can read it on his face. The fans will pick him up when he does, and if he gets a 5 or so in the first 10-12 games, watch out.

BUT, you need to stick with him. Can't half ass it. If Renney thinks hes lost it for good, im all for sending him packing. But if Renney believes theres something there, anything - ride that kid with top minutes and a full endorsement. Things will change.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-25-2008 at 09:33 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote