HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT - US Anthem Booed at MLS ALL Star game in Toronto

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2008, 08:20 AM
AH

vCash: 500
OT - US Anthem Booed at MLS ALL Star game in Toronto

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25840690/

Quote:
Instead of bringing the Canadian flag onto the field along with the American flag and the English flag — in honor of the visitors from West Ham United — organizers waited until several minutes after the other two anthems were played to showcase the Maple Leaf.

That created a scene as fans belted out the Canadian anthem and booed while “The Star-Spangled Banner” was being played.
The next time Leaf fans bring up the anthem booing at the Bell Centre, just throw this one at them. Or maybe it was all the Ontario Habs fans at the game doing this.

Old
07-25-2008, 08:36 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25840690/

The next time Leaf fans bring up the anthem booing at the Bell Centre, just throw this one at them. Or maybe it was all the Ontario Habs fans at the game doing this.
I haven't followed the fortunes of the FC, but from some comments I heard after MTl played there this week, is this just a 'punk' crowd at these games ? Booing injured players leaving on stretchers, debris being thrown, that kind of thing ?

I can go into any city and find enough morons that'll attend an event and act like a jackass.

Old
07-25-2008, 08:43 AM
HabsDood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I haven't followed the fortunes of the FC, but from some comments I heard after MTl played there this week, is this just a 'punk' crowd at these games ? Booing injured players leaving on stretchers, debris being thrown, that kind of thing ?

I can go into any city and find enough morons that'll attend an event and act like a jackass.
I do follow the Impact and I'va watched the All-Star game last night..

Seems to me that crowd, some of it at least is rather classless..

Old
07-25-2008, 08:43 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
You guys booed the anthem at the Bell Centre???

Classless...

Old
07-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Pascal

I certainly wouldn't boo an anthem, but i could understand why some ppl would boo the US one.

Old
07-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Bobby G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I certainly wouldn't boo an anthem, but i could understand why some ppl would boo the US one.
George W. Booosh?

For those watching at home they aren't boo-ing! their bush-ing!

Old
07-25-2008, 11:07 AM
SonOfGom

it's because they thought that they wouldn't put the Canadian anthem, so they started singing it during the American one, and booing. The organizers probably went ***? I thought these people were laid back

Old
07-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Lone Rogue

Disrespecting anthems is the worst thing an audience can do. Aside from Soccer riots and ****. But yeah. It's even worse than stealing a kids baseball. US anthem playing? SING ALONG OR SHUT THE **** UP.

Old
07-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
George W. Booosh?

For those watching at home they aren't boo-ing! their bush-ing!
Something like that..

Old
07-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Guillemin

Oh Noes!

I've never cared when someone boos Canada's anthem. I take pride in my country and can handle it when someone else doesn't. She can handle the disrespect.

Old
07-25-2008, 11:50 AM
MD Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
This is one of the most ignorant statements ever.

Old
07-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Bruins Fan View Post
Depends which way it was intended, really.

Dropkicks rule, btw. Seen them live twice.

Old
07-25-2008, 12:01 PM
MD Bruins Fan

That may be. But why it is ignorant is that a national anthem has ZERO to do with a country's politics. It's about a national and cultural identity. It's really childish to do that, there are much better ways to display your disapproval of politics.

Just my opinion. I would never boo another country's anthem, not even a country like Iran or Sudan because it is a source of national pride. I was embarassed when the Carolina fans did it to the Canadian anthem in 2006.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-25-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old
07-25-2008, 12:04 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
That may be. But why it is ignorant is that a national anthem has ZERO to do with a country's politics. It's about a national and cultural identity. It's really childish to do that, there are much better ways to display your disapproval of politics.

Just my opinion. I would never boo another country's anthem, not even a country like Iran or Sudan because it is a source of national pride. I was embarassed when the Carolina fans did it to the Canadian anthem in 2006.
Exactly, it's a bunch of idiots that boo, so I understand why they do it, because they are idiots. Canadians, Americans a like. That's why it doesn't bother me, because can't expect too much from people these days.

Old
07-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Exactly. I felt ****** to be a Canadian when the Boston fans cheered the Canadian national anthem after the Bell Centre booed the US Anthem. It was like saying, "We're classy".

Old
07-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
There simply shouldnt be national anthems played at any sports events. Except maybe at the Olypmics medal ceremony.

Dont mix politics with sports, period.

Old
07-25-2008, 12:09 PM
MD Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
There simply shouldnt be national anthems played at any sports events. Except maybe at the Olypmics medal ceremony.

Good point. Especially since in hockey, players come from so many different countries. Habs fans probably didn't even think about the fact that they were booing Boullion's home country in 2004. Bruins fans this year chanted "USA, USA" when really only 3 or 4 players are American. They won't get rid of it because the politicians would have an uproar, but its an interesting idea.

Old
07-25-2008, 12:12 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

i don't know i heard that all the booing was towards organizers .....it just happened to be the same time the American anthem was playing..

i really don't know though.

Old
07-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
It's not politics.

Politics does not equal nationality.

People had no problem with the national anthems until uneducated, dumb mother****ers without an inkling of respect or knowledge for their country or fellow countries decided it would be cool to boo another country's anthem. It doesn't represent the players, it represents the place you are playing in.

Old
07-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Roo

This is the Toronto soccer crowd. Has anyone been to a TFC game? Booing a national anthem, which I do admit is classless and disrespectful, is nothing compared to the other things the crowd would say/do.

I didnt see the game, but hearing it is no surprise to me. Most of the people there are drunk out of their minds.

Old
07-25-2008, 12:17 PM
mcphee

Quote:

I pretty much agree but many don't. It sems that this instance was an organizational snafu but if someone chooses to express himself that way, I don't have to like it, and I'll think worse of anyone who does it, but protest is so,ething we get to do, or used to anyways.

If that's the most ignorant thing you've ever heard, you've led an incredibly sheltered life. I hear racial or hompophobic crap out of the mouths of our citizens [yours and mine] every day, and we're going to get upset over the right to boo ?

Old
07-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
It's not politics.

Politics does not equal nationality....
I beg to differ.

An national anthem like that of the USA, or any other country for that matter, represents that country and its actions, not just its people. So one cant truly say that the song is completely separated from the deeds of one country's deeds or misdeeds.

Old
07-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Agreed.

Not every American is a Bush-supporting, mouth-breathing lowlife despite the general perception of alot of Canadians nationwide on how they feel on how Americans are.

It's unacceptable booing one's anthem, plain and simple.

And doesn't really shine us Canadians in a positive light after such a despicable and reprehensible act either.

I wish these soccer fan morons would grow up and show some respect.

Expect an avalanche of boos in retaliation now coming from south of the border. Thank FC fans, you really set a pointless example for yourselves.

Old
07-25-2008, 12:22 PM
MD Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I pretty much agree but many don't. It sems that this instance was an organizational snafu but if someone chooses to express himself that way, I don't have to like it, and I'll think worse of anyone who does it, but protest is so,ething we get to do, or used to anyways.

If that's the most ignorant thing you've ever heard, you've led an incredibly sheltered life. I hear racial or hompophobic crap out of the mouths of our citizens [yours and mine] every day, and we're going to get upset over the right to boo ?
Maybe I exagerrated a little.

Old
07-25-2008, 12:29 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I beg to differ.

An national anthem like that of the USA, or any other country for that matter, represents that country and its actions, not just its people. So one cant truly say that the song is completely separated from the deeds of one country's deeds or misdeeds.
A lot of people have issues with the US these days, but it's important to separate people from policy. My buddies in Vermont haven't changed much over the years nor has my regard for them. I feel that protest like this tends to group policy and people together and I'm uncomfortable with it.

I read a story this morning about Neil Young doing a documentary about his Living With War tour. Artistic expression, protest music, is a direct comment on national policy, or condemnation of certain actions. I'm a fan of that. I get amused by the resistance to his right to express those opinions in a concert venue.

I understand why this stuff happens, a mixture of fans being liquored up, a feeling of entitlement, wanting to be 'the show', some actual protest, but I hate when a sporting event gets hi-jacked.

Things change ehh, I remember wondering what the fuss was about when John Carlos and Tommie Smith got in trouble for their raised fist salute [black power] on the Olympic podium.

Closed Thread