HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O/T Dark Knight

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-24-2008, 12:45 PM
  #126
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
ehhhh, im not sure i can invision Johnny pulling off that kind of a pshychosis. when he plays a nutjob, there always is some sort of...i dunno how to describe it...he just doesnt ever seem like the kinda actor who could scare the **** outta you.
Yeah, but the same was said about Heath 2 years ago when he was cast in the role. And NOBODY thought Michael Keaton was the sort of actor who could pull off Batman.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 01:41 PM
  #127
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Why even bring that question up?
Ummmm ... because people like to discuss things other than "Did you like it?"

Why do they try to compare the '94 Ranger club to other Ranger clubs? Because the topic interests them, obviously.

So now it's my turn: Why are you so anxious to have people avoid the topic?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 01:52 PM
  #128
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
How does it compare to The Godfather? That's really not a valid question because it just doesn't, nor could it have, no matter how well it was done.
You're preaching to the choir. See post #59.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Bottom line: Dark Knight is a very well made film. The directing is great. Heath Ledger is almost a lock Oscar winner and in my opinion he is very deserving of that honor. The editing and sound were also top-notch. Does it compare with The Godfather? Of course not. So what?
And again. See final paragraph post #111.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 01:52 PM
  #129
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Ummmm ... because people like to discuss things other than "Did you like it?"

Why do they try to compare the '94 Ranger club to other Ranger clubs? Because the topic interests them, obviously.

So now it's my turn: Why are you so anxious to have people avoid the topic?
Cause everything is overhyped by the ultra fans. And everything is pissed on by the negativos, in the end, why should that influence what you really thought of the movie? Just cause of 'hype' it gets a lower rating? Why, even you said you liked it, no?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 02:00 PM
  #130
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,557
vCash: 500
I just wish they would make the long discussed batman vs superman movie...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 02:27 PM
  #131
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Cause everything is overhyped by the ultra fans.
Except that this received megahype from the media, too. Expectations were established for the viewer walking in. If it failed to reach those expectations - if it didn't live to the hype that surrounded it - why should one refrain from saying that? It's only another way of saying, "The movie wasn't as good as I was led to believe it would be."

So what's the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
why should that influence what you really thought of the movie?
Who says it influenced what he thought of the movie? The two statements he made ("I thought the movie was good" & "way overhyped") are not mutually dependent. He didn't say he disliked the movie BECAUSE it was overhyped.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 02:28 PM
  #132
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I'm pretty sure that was one of the few parts of the movie where they used CGI
Some of it must have been make-up, no?

I will say that the film definitely tailed off on the end. Two-Faces "death"? Not sure I buy it. Also, I thought it was implied several times in the film that the Bat-Suit somehow cushioned/absorbed much of the kinetic energy from blows and falls, hence why he could walk away.

I do like the idea of Bats being hunted to start the next film. It opens up for a classic third act of the hero's redemption. I could see the Mad Hatter or Riddler (his current not so over the top version) being a good continuation of the more psychotic villains, since they represent the "dark" side of Bat's own OCD.

Bringing in the Catwoman as the anti-hero/love interest I think could be good for the next film, too. Wasn't the Scarecrow in the beginning someone just pretending to be him?


Last edited by Forechecker: 07-24-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
  #133
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Except that this received megahype from the media, too. Expectations were established for the viewer walking in. If it failed to reach those expectations - if it didn't live to the hype that surrounded it - why should one refrain from saying that? It's only another way of saying, "The movie wasn't as good as I was led to believe it would be."

So what's the problem?



Who says it influenced what he thought of the movie? The two statements he made ("I thought the movie was good" & "way overhyped") are not mutually dependent. He didn't say he disliked the movie BECAUSE it was overhyped.
Megahype? Its a summer blockbuster, they're gonna try and hype it as much as possible. You see every movie that critics tell you to go see? No, cause they're probably wrong as much as they are right, no? Same applies to this 'hype' you speak of. Why should that have any influence on how good the movie is? Some blockbusters fail, some don't. YOU are the one chosing to believe the hype. 'The media sells it, YOU live the role' Ozzy

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 02:51 PM
  #134
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Who says it influenced what he thought of the movie? The two statements he made ("I thought the movie was good" & "way overhyped") are not mutually dependent. He didn't say he disliked the movie BECAUSE it was overhyped.
The movie claimed to turn water into wine or solve your relationship trouble? No, it said 'You will have a good time at the movies, buy a ticket'. And thats what happend, the movie did its job.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 03:18 PM
  #135
crashman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 714
I seen it last night on the IMAX screen. It was a good movie, I'm not a big fan of all the comic book/superhero movies but I was a fan of the 2 Tim Burton Batman films. The Dark Knight was just too long and the story didn't grab me emotionally, I didn't really care who lived and who died, which usually isn't the case with "great" films. It also got too extreme and ultra fake near the end. I know it's a freakin' Batman movie so I should expect that but the whole sonar thing was just retarded, completely unbelievable and unnecessary, it reminded me of those terrible Matrix films.

It's true, Heath Ledger was great, don't let the hype sway you, I think he truly does deserve an oscar nomination.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 03:23 PM
  #136
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Megahype? Its a summer blockbuster, they're gonna try and hype it as much as possible.
The movie companies certainly will; that hardly means the critics will play ball with them. Many's the "summer blockbuster" that crashed and burned because it failed to live up to the hype created only by the company. This is a case where the critics aided in that hype. So I say again, why do you protest when someone says, "While good, it wasn't as good as I expected given the things that were written and said about it"?

You've yet to answer this. Do you not like the statement because someone is applying the term "overhyped" to a movie you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Same applies to this 'hype' you speak of. Why should that have any influence on how good the movie is?
No one said it did. Why do you keep insisting on this error? I'll try again:

If he'd said "It wasn't a good movie BECAUSE it was overhyped," or "I disliked it BECAUSE it was overhyped," your point would have validity. He said neither of those things, so how about addressing what he DID say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
The movie claimed to turn water into wine or solve your relationship trouble? No, it said 'You will have a good time at the movies, buy a ticket'. And thats what happend, the movie did its job.
Now that you've resorted to a strawman, I assume I can walk away from this discussion?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2008, 03:36 PM
  #137
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
The movie companies certainly will; that hardly means the critics will play ball with them. Many's the "summer blockbuster" that crashed and burned because it failed to live up to the hype created only by the company. This is a case where the critics aided in that hype. So I say again, why do you protest when someone says, "While good, it wasn't as good as I expected given the things that were written and said about it"?

You've yet to answer this. Do you not like the statement because someone is applying the term "overhyped" to a movie you like?



No one said it did. Why do you keep insisting on this error? I'll try again:

If he'd said "It wasn't a good movie BECAUSE it was overhyped," or "I disliked it BECAUSE it was overhyped," your point would have validity. He said neither of those things, so how about addressing what he DID say?



Now that you've resorted to a strawman, I assume I can walk away from this discussion?
Critics aided in this hype for a reason, the movie lives up to its billing. How did the movie not live up to the hype, you still havent said what you thought wouldve made the hype correct.

This movie is everything the hype said it would be to 9 out of 10 that go to see it. And its one of the most critically acclaimed comic book movies ever.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 02:08 AM
  #138
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,100
vCash: 500
Good flick, with over dose of hype.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 11:36 AM
  #139
MidnightRanger
Registered User
 
MidnightRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Saw it again last night. Heath Ledger! Heath Ledger! I've never seen a Superhero Movie where every scene is interesting. There isn't a boring moment in this movie. And Heath Ledger! Or the Joker actually. Cus you couldn't even tell it was Heath behind that paint. He was that ****ing good. It was Joker come to LIFE.

They should stop making Batman films after this, because they aren't going to top this. In fact stop making superhero films because they will look silly by comparison. P.S. Marvel better step it up with their films because DC just kicked their ***** in one movie. It took them a while but one punch after taking a beating and Marvels movies look like **** in comparison to this.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
  #140
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
How did the movie not live up to the hype, you still havent said what you thought wouldve made the hype correct.
LOL. You're right; I've not said that, mainly because you've not asked it, so I have no idea why you're saying "still" in this post. This is the first time you've posed this question.

And your question is, as I see it, appropriate to the original post. Why not pose it to Lundqvist=Vezina? It's far better than: "What do you care if you liked it? Its like saying, yeah the 94 Rangers won the cup but their fans overhype the team. WHO CARES we still won"

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 12:58 PM
  #141
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
LOL. You're right; I've not said that, mainly because you've not asked it, so I have no idea why you're saying "still" in this post. This is the first time you've posed this question.

And your question is, as I see it, appropriate to the original post. Why not pose it to Lundqvist=Vezina? It's far better than: "What do you care if you liked it? Its like saying, yeah the 94 Rangers won the cup but their fans overhype the team. WHO CARES we still won"
Who cares.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 01:10 PM
  #142
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,710
vCash: 500
For my money, the best movie currently out there is "Tell No One."

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 01:24 PM
  #143
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
It's simple, the reactions people gave to this movie is why we're dissecting it so much.

A LOT of people were saying it's the best movie they ever saw or one of the best movies ever! I think that's what's causing the head scratcher.

I thought the movie was good, the first one was better though. The action was great, Heath Ledger was great, story line was average at best, overall a good movie. I'm happy I saw it.

I understand all the companies hyping this movie because it is the summer blockbuster. It's the reaction people are giving that's driving me crazy. Like I said above, A LOT of people are saying this is one of the best movies ever and that's the problem that I have.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 01:58 PM
  #144
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
It's simple, the reactions people gave to this movie is why we're dissecting it so much.

A LOT of people were saying it's the best movie they ever saw or one of the best movies ever! I think that's what's causing the head scratcher.

I thought the movie was good, the first one was better though. The action was great, Heath Ledger was great, story line was average at best, overall a good movie. I'm happy I saw it.

I understand all the companies hyping this movie because it is the summer blockbuster. It's the reaction people are giving that's driving me crazy. Like I said above, A LOT of people are saying this is one of the best movies ever and that's the problem that I have.
Who cares, its a fresh fish of course its gonna get over the top attention. The fact that you guys are surprised is whats crazy. Its assumed, why even mention it?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 02:53 PM
  #145
TheRedressor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
I loved this movie.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 03:37 PM
  #146
MidnightRanger
Registered User
 
MidnightRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
This movie was superior to the original by leaps and bounds. There really nothing bad I can say about it. I would have to nitpick. Some people are just never satisfied with anything. Besides it's a freaking superhero movie people! Hello?!

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 05:02 PM
  #147
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 2,982
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Saw the movie last night. I am very critical when it comes to movies and i have to say that not only was this a great movie, but one of the best i've seen, ever.

Im not a huge comic movie fan, or even sci-fi, but i thought this was brilliantly performed and directed - and Heath Ledger really did round this movie out with his extremely unpredictable and deep character.

I havent left the movie theatre feeling that satisfied after paying 11.50 in a long time.

Highly recommended.
EXACTLY what I said... I'm miserably cynical, and wasn't thrilled when my friend and brothers said what we were going to see. I was surprised.

For me to say a modern film is good, is unheard of. This was an excellent movie. Only movie in the past 10 years worth the hype.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 05:12 PM
  #148
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 500
I saw this movie last night and thought it was very good, but not the best movie ever. I came away with this thought, though, which was how much better this movie could have been if they pushed it a little farther, (or alot farther) into an "R" rating. There are alot of areas where they could have been a little meaner to make the joker look even more villainous. I understand they couldn't do that, because you can't sell toys and t-shirts to kids who aren't old enough to go see a movie that will scare the crap out of them. I'm hoping for a nice director's cut version when it's released to dvd that could pu that type of stuff in. This version of the joker ranks up there with some of the better villains in movie history though. It's a shame Ledger never gets to bring life to this character again.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 06:56 AM
  #149
Chris 84
Registered User
 
Chris 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Awesome movie

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 02:12 PM
  #150
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Critics aided in this hype for a reason, the movie lives up to its billing. How did the movie not live up to the hype, you still havent said what you thought wouldve made the hype correct.

This movie is everything the hype said it would be to 9 out of 10 that go to see it. And its one of the most critically acclaimed comic book movies ever.
The critics aided in the film's buzz, which to me is different than Hype. Hype tells you a movie or a player or a team is going to be great. Buzz tells you whether or not it's actually true. For instance, Brendl was hyped to become a Rangers superstar and could play/dominate immediately. Early buzz was that he was out of shape and couldn't keep up, very unimpressive. Pre-season starts and Brendl is below average and is thus sent back to the WHL. He was over-hyped. But let's say he comes in, dominates, makes the team, but isn't as good as Bure (the opinion of some fans), well...he's not over-hyped. He's just not what a few fanboys claimed him to be.
The reason why 'The Dark Knight' can't be overhyped is because it delivered to the majority exactly what it was expected to deliver. On rotten tomatoes, it has thus far received 229 positive reviews out of 242. The opinion is almost unanimous. What people here really mean is that while it was good, it wasn't as good as the buzz (i.e. the opinion of actual viewers) lead them to believe. Especially when a few misinformed fanboys label it the best film ever made.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.