HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

is Arty the key?

Old
07-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Larry Melnyk

vCash: 500
Personally, I don't think "Arty" has a chance in hades of making the team...Nor should he..Let him play in Hartford for another year getting stronger and better in all situations..

If we go with the current roster (and it would be foolish to do so), the key is whether one of Dubi or Drury plays 2nd line W..Without that, the top two lines will be soft, weak, and totally incomplete...

OTOH, playing both Dubi and Drury on the top 2 lines strengthens the top 6 but leaves a hole at 3rd line C...with the only possibilies in the org being Fritsch (plays mostly W and is a bad FO guy) and Betts (who belongs on the 4th line)...Do we make a trade in this direction with all our redudndant 3rd-4th liner types? I think we have to if they decide on Dubi as the 2nd C...

Now, if they go with Gomez-Drury-Dubi down the middle that makes us crazy soft on the wings and a trade would be in the Rangers best intersts...

The Rangers also have to be carefuil of not stretching and putting nothing but 4th liner types like SJostrom, Voros, Korp/Jess/Byers/Moore (for this year) up any higher..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrcallahan24 View Post
ummm...
let me guess.

dubi= dubinsky
dru= drury
cally= callahan
korpido= korpikoski
gomer= gomez
Z= zherdev
nazy= ???
arty= ???
Nazy = Marcus Naslund
Arty = Artem Anisimov

That's my guess.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 11:07 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrcallahan24 View Post
ummm...
let me guess.

korpido= korpikoski

naw.... i said korpedo.

i can see why yer confused.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 11:38 AM
DontStepanMe

i hope Ani forces them to take him so Dubi will be the 2c and drury can move to wing. This will also pretty much end any chance of Prucha staying w/ the team, which is a great thing b/c any team w/ him on the top 6 is in serious trouble.

I still don't know why people want to give him another chance. After that knee injury he isn't the same player. he really is just a waste of cap space right now. There was a reason why he didn't play much last year. he just isn't that good.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Keep Anisimov in Hartford for another season. The absolute worst thing we can do is rush him into the NHL at this point.

Keep Dubinsky on the 3rd line for a season and trade for a winger who is close to the end of his contract and is affordable.

Dawes - Gomez - Naslund
Big bodied winger - Drury - Zherdev
Fritsche - Dubinsky - Sjostrom/Callahan
Voros - Betts - Rissmiller/Orr
I think that "big bodied winger" belongs on a line with Naslund, not with Zherdev.

Also, I still say Zherdev should be centered by Gomez, and I have a very hard time believing Renney doesn't feel the same way.

Yes, they both like to hold the puck, but how was that any different when it came to Nylander & Jagr?

Zherdev didn't have a true centerman in Columbus, at least no one very good. He needs a true top center, and that guy is Gomez. I know Dubinsky had a good year, but I think we need to see what he can do without Jagr before we saddle him up with our expected "go-to guy". Also, Zherdev needs 1st-line icetime, not 2nd-line icetime.

Dawes - Gomez - Zherdev
Naslund - Dubinsky - Drury
Kopikoski - Fritsche - Callahan
Sjostrom - Betts - Voros

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 12:26 PM
chappie
lemon snow!

Anisimov is going to be a top 2 centerman for this team one day, possibly even next year, but, at least right off, he probably will be playing in Hartford unless he just flat out out-plays Dubinsky and Fritsche. Now this of course is possible, but at the same time it's highly unlikely.

To say that you think Dubinsky should be the 2nd line center though is a tad bit unrealistic. Like Assuming Anisimov will make this team out of camp this year is an automatic is silly, so is assuming that Dubinsky is this offensive Juggernaut. In reality, he is a very good third line guy who can crash the net and score the dirty goals, and every once and a while make some nifty, creative plays to setup a beautiful goal. He is not better then Drury, and not better then Anisimov, but he is stronger then both of them and will be much better suited to play that third line position. Fritsche is the same way.

chappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 12:26 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

I like some of what you have here. If you believe what was said after the rookie camp, Anisimov is definitely in the mix. Rememeber, management has described him as a "Steve Rucchin" type player. For those of you who only saw the last stages of his career, I can assure you that vintage Rucchin was a very, very good two way center. Dubinsky and Drury together makes a lot of sense. What I don't see though is Naslund and Zherdev both playing with Gomez. I think that Dawes will get every opportunity to win the top line spot (a lot depends on his defensive work ethic) and Naslund slides over to the D&D line. I have little confidence in Prucha's emergence to top 6 form -- I suspect he will be playing in St. Louis or Nashville this year.

Last edited by bobbop: 07-25-2008 at 12:42 PM.
bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 12:30 PM
chappie
lemon snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I like some of what you have here. If you believe what was said after the roookie camp, Anisimov is definitely in the mix. Rememeber, management has described him as a "Steve Rucchin" type player. For those of you who only saw the last stages of his career, I can assure you that vintage Rucchin was a very, very good two way center. Dubinsky and Drury together makes a lot of sense. What I don't see though is Naslund and Zherdev both playing with Gomez. I think that Dawes will get every opportunity to win the top line spot (a lot depends on his defensive work ethic) and Naslund slides over to the D&D line. I have little confidence in Prucha's emergence to top 6 form -- I suspect he will be playing in St. Louis or Nashville this year.

You can compare his two way game in a lot of ways to Datsyuk, but just not the same explosive speed, which is why his size is more of an issue.

chappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappie View Post
You can compare his two way game in a lot of ways to Datsyuk, but just not the same explosive speed, which is why his size is more of an issue.
I think Rucchin is a much safer comparison right now..As a whole, I think we need to be careful about over-rating and over-valuing our prospects..let them show continued consistent performance and effort befroe making comparisons to people like Datsyuk (even if I would love for the comparison to be true!)

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

If he develops properly, I think the likely result is he's a fantastic #2 center. Great two-way ability, plays all special teams and is good for 65 (20G 45A) or so points per season.

If he hits that mark, I think we can call it a win for everyone.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Anisimov AND Korpedo making the team? Highly unlikely as that will leave 7 guys competing for the 4th line spots. Three of which (Prucha, Sjostrom, Fritsche) deserve better than that.
Yea , seriously yes these 2 are teh future but it's not going to be this yr unless injury

but makes for a real interesting next yr...........I still think they let ALL FA go next yr which means Rissmiller, Betts, Orr...........there are 3 forward spots to open for the kids

Also they can deal a spare forward for a Dman as next yr Sanguinetti is in and Mara and Kallinen are FA..........but hey whatever that is NEXT yr

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappie View Post
Anisimov is going to be a top 2 centerman for this team one day, possibly even next year, but, at least right off, he probably will be playing in Hartford unless he just flat out out-plays Dubinsky and Fritsche. Now this of course is possible, but at the same time it's highly unlikely.

To say that you think Dubinsky should be the 2nd line center though is a tad bit unrealistic. Like Assuming Anisimov will make this team out of camp this year is an automatic is silly, so is assuming that Dubinsky is this offensive Juggernaut. In reality, he is a very good third line guy who can crash the net and score the dirty goals, and every once and a while make some nifty, creative plays to setup a beautiful goal. He is not better then Drury, and not better then Anisimov, but he is stronger then both of them and will be much better suited to play that third line position. Fritsche is the same way.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Factor in the salary plan as well. Another year in Hartford for any of our prospects keeps their salary expectations, down the road, in check for an additional year. Dubinski lucked out in getting an earlier shot than planned, and now will be more expensive to sign than expected as well. Unfortunately for the rookies, team payroll planning factors in more, now that there is a Cap.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 02:02 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Yes, Arty is going to be the key.

For Hartford.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Let him stay one more year in Hartford to further develop his offense and he'll probably make it next year.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 01:48 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

If both AA and Korps (or any two prospects) prove capable of permanent 3rd line duty, you can bet there will be a trade during or even before October.

Even one prospect proving himself capable of playing on the third line will almost definitely cause a trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
assuming no more moves are made before camp- say for a top 6 wing and the team stays close to what we have now heres my thought.

if arty makes the team as 3rd line centerman, then the top 9 looks like this:

gomer with Z and nazy

dubi with dru and dawes- the 3D line

arty with cally and korpedo

arty making the team allows us to:

1. play dru at wing

2. keep dubi at 2nd line centerman where i think he can excel.

3. keep both those guys playing top 6 minutes

if nothing else, we will be FAST. maybe not many goals (again) but we will be exciting for sure.

thoughts?

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 02:43 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
assuming no more moves are made before camp- say for a top 6 wing and the team stays close to what we have now heres my thought.

if arty makes the team as 3rd line centerman, then the top 9 looks like this:

gomer with Z and nazy

dubi with dru and dawes- the 3D line

arty with cally and korpedo

arty making the team allows us to:

1. play dru at wing

2. keep dubi at 2nd line centerman where i think he can excel.

3. keep both those guys playing top 6 minutes

if nothing else, we will be FAST. maybe not many goals (again) but we will be exciting for sure.

thoughts?
Great post and interesting thoughts!

I think the diffrence between Dubinsky and Arty is that Dubi is much more flawed and stabby; but he got certain attributes that are outstanding at anylevel against any competeition. He is really chippy, and very slick when it comes to changing direction and stickhandling with the puck. He is very hard to catch for any D; sometimes you wonder if he himself knows in what direction he is gooing. He also got very solid playmaking skills and is quite a effective playmaker.

Its easier for someone like Dubi to find a spot in the NHL.

Anisimov's game and offense comes more from his total package. His combination of speed, size and stickhandling.

In the end Anisimov could most def become a better hockeyplayer then Dubinsky. But for a player like Ani it takes a bit longer to establish himself since he must get thoose "big" abilitys to a level where there are outstanding in the NHL. Like he must skate so well, and be so strong, that he can dominate NHL D's. That usually takes a bit longer then what it takes for a niche guy like Dubi.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote