HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Retire Koivu's #

Old
07-26-2008, 12:10 AM
Koivu84*

vCash: 500
Retire Koivu's #

Will Montreal retire Koivu's #

I hope they do, not only has he been a great player but he's shown so much adversity and inspired an entire league. god bless koivu.

Koivu84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 12:16 AM
TheAntiprice*

That would be rewarding mediocrity...this franchise has been at its' worst during its' existence for the majority of Saku's tenor here. I really hope they don't get caught up emotionally and retire his number...

TheAntiprice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiprice View Post
That would be rewarding mediocrity...this franchise has been at its' worst during its' existence for the majority of Saku's tenor here. I really hope they don't get caught up emotionally and retire his number...
Give him an honouring but don't raise his number. Not at all. You'd have to put it up with Claude Provost anyway. Saku has been a fine captain and a wonderful player in a lean time. But there are about a couple dozen players in Hab history better than him and more deserving of a number retirement. Right now I guess there's potential for retiring down the road with Price and possibly Komisarek looking like future stalwarts. But until then, 2008-09 will be the final year for raising numbers to the rafters for a very long time.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 12:31 AM
slocheauska

Yuck, I hope not.

slocheauska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 01:11 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiprice View Post
That would be rewarding mediocrity..
Holy exaggeration Batman.

I'd say no chance though, so many players have done more, won more and they won't get that honor.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 01:42 AM
Clumsyhab

This question have been asked many times here. I've always said to even get considered for that, he must

1. Win a Cup (Conn Smythe would be a +)
2. Play 1000 games for the Habs
3. Get 800 points with the Habs
4. Be the longest Hab to wear the "C"

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 01:45 AM
TheAntiprice*

^Isn't he already the longest hab to have worn the C?

TheAntiprice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 01:54 AM
Stradale

It will help if he wins the cup, but i think he deserves it. Its NOT always about WINNING. IMO, a guy that deserve to have his number retired is a player that gave a lot for his team and community. Koivu is one of the longuest captain of the Habs and gave so much for this community. Thats only my opinion, some people like some above will say, since hes the captain, Habs didnt win anything and blablabla... like it was because of him that the habs suck.

If the Leafs is gonna retire Sundin jersey, i dont see why Koivu's cannot? Probably because he didnt win any cup or the Leafs doesnt have the history of the Habs. Anyways, in like 20 years, i will probably remember Koivu as a great captain, with a lot of heart, perserverance and courage not a loser that never won the cup.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 02:25 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
They should retire it now for all the bs he's been through here.

"I'm angry that he didn't speak in French" so, he comes out and says "Voici! Mon equipe" and everyone is happy.

Sure, it's annoying, that the province is French first, but the guy came from Finalnd, had to learn English. Though, reports say he knows French and talks to his wife in French (Whom I thought was Finnish?:S)

Anyways, he'll finish with a good amount of points and should be able to reach 1000 games played with the habs, so I say he should.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 02:31 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
How to start a flaming thread 101

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 02:49 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Will they?

Should they?

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 03:05 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

They should retire it now, and make him pick a new one for next season

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 03:50 AM
Teukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Sure, it's annoying, that the province is French first, but the guy came from Finalnd, had to learn English. Though, reports say he knows French and talks to his wife in French (Whom I thought was Finnish?:S)
Err, no. The "talk to wife in French" thing was a joke response to a false claim that his wife was a French-Canadian (by that a-hole who tried to take legal action against Koivu because he didn't "provide the people of Montreal their services in French"). Hanna Norio is a 100% Finnish-speaking Finn as far as I know. "Though I might add a little French in the bedroom" was something along the line of what Koivu said.

Koivu's children go to a French kindergarten though, which is, of course, benefitial to them (living in Montreal and all).

The whole "boohoo, Koivu doesn't speak French" thing is pissing me off. He grew up in Finland, learned English through education and television and then came over to an English-speaking hockey team. Then suddenly there are people waving microphones in his face, asking questions in a language he has never needed before. At which point was he supposed to learn French? Should he have gone to some language course in addition to his busy life as a professional sportsman? When foreign pro athletes come to my country, nobody expects them to suddenly be fluent in Finnish, and they are gladly spoken to in the international language that everyone has a chance to learn and almost everyone speaks at least semi-fluently (English). Somehow, French people (in France and in Canada) have generally never heard of such politeness, and just keep waiving their dicks on people's faces until fluent French comes out.

Teukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 04:00 AM
Marksman

I think they should retire #11.

Even if hes approaching his twilight years now Saku carried this team on his back for almost a decade. And there wasnt much help around when he was in his prime.

I dont see how winning the Cup makes a difference here - achieving that has become rare, and much more difficult than it was for those oldtime heroes (not to take anything away).

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 04:49 AM
hpheikki

Not a chance. I think.

hpheikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 04:49 AM
Uwey

This retiring numbers of players is crap.

If there is only one thing the Leafs do that I like, it is honouring a player & his number, not retiring it. That way it stays in circulation to be reused over & over again. With the exception of the #9 & #4, they should all be still in circulation IMO.

I would love to see Carey Price wearing his familiar #29 in a Habs uni.

& think about it, if they so desired, S. Kostitsyn could don the #12, A. Kostitsyn the #10, Tanguay the #18, Latendresse the #19, Halak the #1 & Gorges the #2. Guys like Pacoreitty could have an opportunity to wear the #16, McDonagh the #7 & Carle the #5, again, if they so desired.

When ever the Habs take the ice, they look more like Alouettes with the # on the jersey, than they do one of the most storied, traditional franchise' in the NHL.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 05:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu84 View Post
Will Montreal retire Koivu's #

I hope they do, not only has he been a great player but he's shown so much adversity and inspired an entire league. god bless koivu.

Personally I'd say no and I'm a huge Koivu fan...I think the appropriate thing would be to have a Koivu night after he retires, maybe do something for cancer in his name. Retiring a player's number is not the only way you pay hommage to a great person.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 07:27 AM
Kaptain Bégin

eah, sure, why not, we must retired number 11. Ryan Walter was a great player.

I like what Koivu did for the Habs for year. He was the only ray of light in the darkest era of the Habs. But he still don't have what it takes to have his number retired. Only the greatest star can.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 07:35 AM
wedge

no, but it'S just because he can't be compared with the ones already retired, who have been DOMINANT!!! Koivu has been a very good player but never dominant. He'll probaby never be in the HOF so I don't see why his number would be retired.

wedge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 07:54 AM
GoHabs20

&$%SFJDRY$#A#@$^

not this topic again!

what has he done to have his number retired?

the answer is NO!

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 07:59 AM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

As much as I love him, no he won't and should not. Let's be honest here, he never dominated the game or anything.

We might honnor him one night at the bell and it will be a great and special ceremonie giving all he went through and what he meant for the team while he was here. I also think it could take a while before a player decides to wear the number 11 once Sak is gone for respect and all but not much more.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 08:01 AM
GoHabs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL View Post
As much as I love him, no he won't and should not. Let's be honest here, he never dominated the game or anything.

We might honnor him one night at the bell and it will be a great and special ceremonie giving all he went through and what he meant for the team while he was here. I also think it could take a while before a player decides to wear the number 11 once Sak is gone for respect and all but not much more.
finally someone that says it like it should be.

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 08:11 AM
The Price is Right

Retire Carey Price

The Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 08:18 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL View Post

There's no doubt it'll happen whether he wins a cup or not. He's been the longest serving captain in history, he stayed there despite all the media stuff and has been an inspiration for lots of children. It might sounds weird, but when i had a knee surgery i thought of all of his and said it wouldnt stop me and that i would do all i could to get back in good shape and all.

All his heart, dedication on and off the ice and leadership is great. I really hope for him he wins the cup this seasn it would be a good reward to a career that had been lots of obstacle. From being on a medicre team for almost 10 seasons, the injuries, cancer and media. I think if he wins he'll re-sign for one more year to give it another shot and also get the chance to win the gold at the OG with Finland in Vancouver then I think it'll be done for him. I think with all he went through he wont be able to play till 40, but I hope for him he can get the gold or a SC before he's retiring. He deserves it.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Holy balls.

I love Saku, but there's absolutely NO WAY he gets his number retired. Only HHOF type players get retired by the Montreal Canadiens.

A night to honor him is probably the most ''celebration'' he will get.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote