HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expressen: Sjostrom re-signed - 1yr/840K (QO)

Old
07-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 500
Expressen: Sjostrom re-signed - 1yr/840K (QO)

Expressen reports RFA winger Fredrik Sjostrom has re-signed a one-year contract with the NY Rangers worth $840K.

http://blogg.expressen.se/nhl/entry.jsp?messid=398050

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 01:07 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

niceee

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 01:12 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
i was hoping for the 2 year one for cheaper that was rumored but I am happy! Love Fast Freddie!!

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Celestial Black

Pretty good.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 01:15 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Love Fast Freddie!!
definitely an underrated player by many people on this board, IMO....

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 01:17 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
definitely an underrated player by many people on this board, IMO....
Definitely, I think he should be on the 3rd or even 2nd line this year. Most likely won't happen though.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 01:20 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Definitely, I think he should be on the 3rd or even 2nd line this year. Most likely won't happen though.
yeah, i mean some people are putting callahan on the 2nd line, and i think sjo would be a much better option, for many reasons

Old
07-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Hard to say I want Sjostrom in the top-six. He's shown flashes of brilliance, but is he a true first or second line talent? Maybe he'll get a chance to show whether or not he is this year.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 01:41 PM
maddog24g

He's a fast skater... that's about all that he's shown so far. That doesn't = 2nd liner. He reminds me of Matt Cullen. He gets zero accomplished but because he's a fast skater, people want to see him on the 2nd line.

And yes... that's a dig at all the people who now swear that cullen was used incorrectly when back in the day they were all calling for cullen and his "speed" to be top 6. There's nothing about callahan's game that says that he should be a 2nd liner, and there's even less about sjostrom's game that says that he should be a top 9 forward.

maddog24g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Uncle Buck*

Quote:
Come on man, a 2nd liner? He is a third liner at best.

Uncle Buck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 01:50 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog24g View Post
He's a fast skater... that's about all that he's shown so far. That doesn't = 2nd liner. He reminds me of Matt Cullen. He gets zero accomplished but because he's a fast skater, people want to see him on the 2nd line.

And yes... that's a dig at all the people who now swear that cullen was used incorrectly when back in the day they were all calling for cullen and his "speed" to be top 6. There's nothing about callahan's game that says that he should be a 2nd liner, and there's even less about sjostrom's game that says that he should be a top 9 forward.
Watch some old highlights of his. Calling him nothing more than a 4th liner is ignorant.

Buck, he has great hands, amazing speed, and a nice shot. A 3rd liner now maybe, but he has the potential to be more than that.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 01:54 PM
FutureGM97

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
Come on man, a 2nd liner? He is a third liner at best.
The only reason that is thought is because he wasn't given much time on the top lines in Phoenix where Gretzky, for some reason, just refused to use him the way he is supposed to. Freddy's speed would be perfect with someone like Gomez. Sjostrom's shot is very underrated. He was on the Phoenix powerplay and always stood in front of the net which is something that the Rangers need to do more of. Give the kid a chance to be offensive on this team. I understand they didn't last year cuz they were in the midst of the run to the post season but the Rangers should really explore what they can do with this kid. He could be that top 6 forward that the Rangers are missing.

Old
07-26-2008, 01:56 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ru8pJF85X6U&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=azX0w7AKGY4&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=azX0w7AKGY4&feature=related

i'm sorry, this guy has way more skill than a guy like cally, and that skill is what, in my opinion, could make him a decent 2nd line player

Old
07-26-2008, 02:05 PM
maddog24g

Quote:
Watch some old highlights of his. Calling him nothing more than a 4th liner is ignorant.

Buck, he has great hands, amazing speed, and a nice shot. A 3rd liner now maybe, but he has the potential to be more than that.
Which old highlights? The ones of him not scoring? The ones of him trying to forecheck and bouncing off the guy? His "sick hands" produced 2 goals on 26 shots as a ranger. Phoenix spent 3 years waiting for him to become that 2nd liner and he didn't. Accept the guy for what he is. Last year was the first time he got past 9 goals. He plays an energy game. That's it at this point. If he starts clicking then fine.. move him up and give him more ice time.

what is ignorant is people believing that on an offensively challenged losing team like the coyotes, the coach would purposely hold a guy back from producing for no reason. It really makes sense. "Gretzky doesn't want his team to score or win unless it's his favorite players doing the scoring". Gimme a break.

maddog24g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 02:18 PM
otto1219

solid though you cant base a players talent by a few of his goals or plays he has made. consistency with stats and play determine a good player, sjo is pretty good at both so im happy. dont care about his end to end plays though, a lot of players worth nothing have done things like that.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Nemchinov13

If Sjo would've been developed the way that Lauri has been developing under our watch, the Montoya trade would've been worth it. IMO, Fredrik was rushed into NHL, while we are patient with our own prospects (see Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Korpi).

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 02:38 PM
shoothepuck

Good deal, and he has the year to show what he's really worth.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 03:47 PM
FutureGM97

Quote:
Which old highlights? The ones of him not scoring? The ones of him trying to forecheck and bouncing off the guy? His "sick hands" produced 2 goals on 26 shots as a ranger. Phoenix spent 3 years waiting for him to become that 2nd liner and he didn't. Accept the guy for what he is. Last year was the first time he got past 9 goals. He plays an energy game. That's it at this point. If he starts clicking then fine.. move him up and give him more ice time.

what is ignorant is people believing that on an offensively challenged losing team like the coyotes, the coach would purposely hold a guy back from producing for no reason. It really makes sense. "Gretzky doesn't want his team to score or win unless it's his favorite players doing the scoring". Gimme a break.
He produced 2 goals only because the line he was on wasn't supposed to score and he was playing on the 4th line.

They held him back on the bottom lines because that is all they thought he was good for and that when he started producing on the bottom units they would move him up. The few times that they did move him up, he was very good and clicked well. The line of Vrbata-Hanzal-Sjostrom absolutely was dynamite for the Coyotes during the middle part of the season. This was the 2nd line. Put Sjostrom up and he will produce.

Old
07-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
This doesn't make sense. His QO was actually $880k. Why go through all that for just $40k less? Plus, they have another week (August 4th) to get a deal done. Also, isn't Expressen notorious for saying players have been signed when in fact they haven't?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 04:46 PM
otto1219

Quote:
He produced 2 goals only because the line he was on wasn't supposed to score and he was playing on the 4th line.

They held him back on the bottom lines because that is all they thought he was good for and that when he started producing on the bottom units they would move him up. The few times that they did move him up, he was very good and clicked well. The line of Vrbata-Hanzal-Sjostrom absolutely was dynamite for the Coyotes during the middle part of the season. This was the 2nd line. Put Sjostrom up and he will produce.
i dont want sjo on our 1st or 2nd line, maybe third depending on who he plays with. i was never overly impressed by him. he does have a lot of energy and could be a solid third line, but until we figure out our top two lines, which in my opinion HAS to include drury, we should worry about this stuff later.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 04:51 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
i dont know but to me this guy reminds me of radek dvorak. lets hope he breaks out like dvorak did when he was a ranger.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 05:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Good deal.

I was expecting him to sign for more, i think most were.

He is definitely going to be a valuable part of this team. He can play in all situations.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 05:06 PM
FutureGM97

Naslund-Gomez-Sjostrom
Zherdev-Drury-Dawes

those would be 2 really good lines right there....that first line would be incredibly fast but i don't think anyone is going to want that line. Rangers put MARCEL HOSSA on the first line at one point. Freddie has a shot at becoming a top 6 player for the Rangers. Renney is going to try every possible combination.

Old
07-26-2008, 05:38 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Naslund-Gomez-Sjostrom
Zherdev-Drury-Dawes

those would be 2 really good lines right there....that first line would be incredibly fast but i don't think anyone is going to want that line. Rangers put MARCEL HOSSA on the first line at one point. Freddie has a shot at becoming a top 6 player for the Rangers. Renney is going to try every possible combination.
Interesting. Dawes is a LW, and Zherdev is a RW...but it would make more sense to switch them now wouldn't it?

I don't like Sjostrom any higher then the third line to start the season, but we have so many players that can play the wing on those lines like Korp, Cally, Fritsche.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 06:19 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

smart move.

hes got "it" to his game. "it" meaning, when hes on the ice he creates something... a turnover, a cough up, a hit, a hurry, a scoring chance. and he has tons of speed and endless energy. hes another guy, like prucha, whos easy to root for.

not likin freddie as a top 6 guy at all. he has wheels no doubt, but hes NOT better than dawes or dru or z or naslund. hes at best, right now on this team, a 3rd line energy forechecker type who can score off turnovers. he just doesnt have the paws of a goal scorer.

and he'll need to outplay fritsche, korpedo and callahan in camp if he wants 3rd line minutes. thats gonna be tough.

still like this top 12

gomez zherdev and naslund
dubi drury and dawes
arty/fritsche kopedo/prucha and callahan
betts freddie and voros/orr

rismiller/byers

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote