HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: fined (need some advice)

Old
07-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post
Can't the depanneur be to blame for not asking for my ID when I wanted to buy a card?

Mitch
I don't think they have to since you may be buying it for someone else like parents sometimes buy monthly or weekly passes for their kids.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins77 View Post
Ok. So this morning I walk inside the montreal metro with my student weekly pass (I am 19years old) and I am stopped by a cop. Basically, I am told that I am not allowed to have the student pass because I am 19 and that I should have the adult pass. Therefore, I receive a nice 214$ ticket. I just don't understand why so much for buying a student weekly pass. I am a student (college and stuff), and even if they have the right to fine me, which I assume they do, why that much? Isn't that the same amount as if I were to be speeding in a school zone or causing danger to the public? Anyways, any advice or similar problems.
damn bureaucrats.... they said they wanted to put cops in every metro station to make it more "safe" and "secure", but the true goal was to give tickets... and more tickets. Every morning, going to work, I spot one kid like youself getting a ticket for the exact same reason. These cops should be ashamed of themselves... such tools of the system.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 07:00 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
damn bureaucrats.... they said they wanted to put cops in every metro station to make it more "safe" and "secure", but the true goal was to give tickets... and more tickets. Every morning, going to work, I spot one kid like youself getting a ticket for the exact same reason. These cops should be ashamed of themselves... such tools of the system.
My sister got a ticket because her student card was expired by about 2-3 days!!! She was about the get her new one done when they gave her the ticket. She was crying, it was about 300$ and she couldn't afroid it, of course. The cop said : "I know you cannot afroid it, but here's your ticket" . ! wow

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Pr3Va1L

In Montreal it's as long as you're a full-time student, AFAIK.

At least until like 24 or something, as long as you're a student.

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Megaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
she couldn't afroid it,
Quite a Freudian slip.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 08:28 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
My sister got a ticket because her student card was expired by about 2-3 days!!! She was about the get her new one done when they gave her the ticket. She was crying, it was about 300$ and she couldn't afroid it, of course. The cop said : "I know you cannot afroid it, but here's your ticket" . ! wow

It was expired, she knew it, she took a risk and got caught, that's it... if anything, next time she won't play hands she can't afford to lose!

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Just pay the fine. If you don't have the cash, contest it, but realistically that's only going to delay the payment. You'll still have to pay it.
Weird. Do you not have much luck contesting tickets in Montreal? Out here in Victoria, if you contest a ticket it's basically removed or at least cut in half.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 08:46 PM
TheAntiprice*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
In Montreal it's as long as you're a full-time student, AFAIK.

At least until like 24 or something, as long as you're a student.
huh? What is AFAIK?

So as an adult full time university student, am I eligible for the reduced student pass or whatever...?

TheAntiprice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiprice View Post
huh? What is AFAIK?

So as an adult full time university student, am I eligible for the reduced student pass or whatever...?
AFAIK = As far as I know

as for your second question I have no idea; I'm not in montreal enough to get a pass.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Stradale

Quote:
huh? What is AFAIK?

AFAIK = As far as i know

and yes, you can use a reduced student pass if you are a full time university student BUT you have to get the privilege card and keep it with your student pass and have to show it the metro police on demand.

EDIT: and you have to be under 25 yr old to be able to get that privilege card.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think the ammount is excessive. I've seen a few cases over the last few years where the police,specifically in montreal do things for the same reasons a dog licks his nuts, because they can.

All that being said, when I read or hear someone using' pigs' or talking about how all polioce, all tansit workers, all gov't workers, are whatever, I don't get any opinion on the people being referred to.

I do think less of whoever uses the term though.
I'm just jealous that you are so secure that you never edit your spelling mistakes. The fine seems a tad excessive [ damn, did I spell excessive right?]

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 09:13 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
I'm just jealous that you are so secure that you never edit your spelling mistakes. The fine seems a tad excessive [ damn, did I spell excessive right?]
I prefer typos, because spelling makes me sound stupid,while typo is just clumsy. I'm also very lazy.

Remember in school, you'd ask how to spell something and the teacher would tell you to look it up ? I learned that yelling, 'Wouldn't you have to know how to spell it to do that you twit ?' wasn't the way to go.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 09:28 PM
TheAntiprice*

you get that privilege card at Berri-Uqam metro right?...Is it seasonal or is it available all year round?

Old
07-26-2008, 09:58 PM
snakeye

Quote:
you get that privilege card at Berri-Uqam metro right?...Is it seasonal or is it available all year round?
No now it's near McGill metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post
Also, the guy giving me the fine told me that my pass couldn't be used because I bought it in Beaconsfield. Apparently West Island bus passes cannot be used on the metro because they are not in the right zone. What I find stupid is that these passes still work at the metro and the only people with the info are the officers who give fines.
Does it say on the card that you bought it in Beaconsfield? Are you talking about the STM's monthly pass? I think this officer is fulla chit and doesn't know what he's talking about. They're all the same, no matter where you buy them.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 10:07 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Quite a Freudian slip.
Probably not intentional, because my english is really poor... I don't even know what I should have said instead.. ? It's alright, you can correct my mistake, that's the only way I'll learn lol.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 10:35 PM
MastaK

STM is not doing things the right way. Most of the time they catch innocent people, because people who know what they do is illegal will check if there are cops before entering the subway. I've been taking the subway since I'm 8 years old (10+ years) so I know just too much ways to fraud them. And when they do check IDs, either you pay if you're in a hurry or option #2 you go breath some fresh air until the next subway station. (again, people who don't know they're doing a fraud get caught and not the ones doing it by purpose...)

They should also fix the McGill station. It's far too easy to get in for free there. When I don't buy a monthly pass and need to go downtown, only one ticket is needed...

Buses. You can get on buses even if you don't have a pass, money or anything. The driver can talk all he wants, he doesn't have the right to get you out of the bus, and I've never seen one of them make a serious move to report someone to the police, and even if he did, how can the police have proof you didn't pay?

I've got some more...but I'll keep them for myself. Just to say, STM has alot of work to do.

MastaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 10:46 PM
TheAntiprice*

^the new opus card takes care of a lot of the things you mentioned...

Old
07-26-2008, 10:54 PM
MastaK

Quote:
^the new opus card takes care of a lot of the things you mentioned...
Well I don't know much about that card...could you tell me the details on how it will fix them?

Old
07-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Slick Nick

The first thing written behind your bus card: la carte mensuelle à tarid réduit est composée de la carte d'accès au tarif réduit et de la carte magnétique. You need to have both the STM carte privilège and your bus pass.

The only way you can contest it is if you have made your card but lost it, they can check in a regestry.... I know about that, I had 2 fines in the past 5 years... both times I was a full time student and had everything to prove it, but I hadn't made my card because I was too lazy and because usually the bus driver or the metro dude asks you for your card so you just pay the full price... but those ****ers started letting you walk in and ask you afterwards... and these ****bags usually tell you they want to explain you something and at the end they just hand out the fine.

I find this pretty ridiculous since there are soooo many people that simply don't have the right to the student discount and still travel with it.. they could have at least lower the fine for those who actually have the right to the student discount. It makes no sens to me that I pay the same fine than a 40 yo or a 20 yo drop out....

... So here's my advice to anyone who's about to take the metro without his student card: if you see metro cops on the otherside of the tourniquets pay the stupid 3$.. there's no way you'll talk them out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaK View Post
STM is not doing things the right way. Most of the time they catch innocent people, because people who know what they do is illegal will check if there are cops before entering the subway. I've been taking the subway since I'm 8 years old (10+ years) so I know just too much ways to fraud them. And when they do check IDs, either you pay if you're in a hurry or option #2 you go breath some fresh air until the next subway station. (again, people who don't know they're doing a fraud get caught and not the ones doing it by purpose...)

They should also fix the McGill station. It's far too easy to get in for free there. When I don't buy a monthly pass and need to go downtown, only one ticket is needed...

Buses. You can get on buses even if you don't have a pass, money or anything. The driver can talk all he wants, he doesn't have the right to get you out of the bus, and I've never seen one of them make a serious move to report someone to the police, and even if he did, how can the police have proof you didn't pay?
I've got some more...but I'll keep them for myself. Just to say, STM has alot of work to do.
Not true, usually a bus driver won't ask you for your student card (or even look at your bus card). If they do, it's because most of the time there's an undercover agent inside the bus.... a freind of mine got fined that way when he was like 17 years old.. he told the bus driver: Do I look 26, I'm still in high school... he got in, and got a fine 5 seconds later.

As for the rest of your commentary, I also know a lot of people who jump the metro or use fake tickets and cards.. I think it's not worth it. The fines are really high and the passes are affordable. Way too much trouble.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-27-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 10:08 AM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins77 View Post
It was a cop. I know that I am kind of in-the-wrong, but what bothers me the most is the amount. 214$ for something little as that. Someone who is speeding at 70mph in a 50mph zone may get around the same amount of money. The point is, the guy driving fast IS causing danger to the public, while a person carrying a bus pass he should not (i guess) carry is causing little problems to the government.
That was 110$ about one month ago. I don,t think it has changed since They are really ****** you.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Pascal

wow that is the stupidest fine i've ever heard of. Getting fined for having the wrong metro pass? ****in idiots. Looking to plunder the people more are we?

Go stop criminals instead of wasting time on that ****.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 10:20 AM
lasainteflanelle*

you need to be a full-time student, and you need the student ID that proves you are. for example, if you go to concordia...print out your schedual from the "myconcordia portal", go to berri-uqam and pay the 20 bucks or wtv it is these days to get your pass.

without that pass, you cannot buy the student bus pass even if you're in class 24/7. when i was in cegep, i got that fine too (except it was around $195 then) so i feel your wallet's pain. it sucks i know...ostie STM!!

lasainteflanelle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 10:31 AM
MastaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Not true, usually a bus driver won't ask you for your student card (or even look at your bus card). If they do, it's because most of the time there's an undercover agent inside the bus.... a freind of mine got fined that way when he was like 17 years old.. he told the bus driver: Do I look 26, I'm still in high school... he got in, and got a fine 5 seconds later.

As for the rest of your commentary, I also know a lot of people who jump the metro or use fake tickets and cards.. I think it's not worth it. The fines are really high and the passes are affordable. Way too much trouble.
Yeah but when you're poor, you do the most you can to save money, every dollar saved is important, especially if you have the opportunity to do so and never get caught. Of course if you have the money, why bother?

For the McGill thing, I won't explain the procedures but it's pretty low risk. It's not as much trouble as you think. Now kids, the ones who do this are profesionnal so don't try this at your local subway station. To be honest, doing it is just as fun as playing an infiltration video game. Some people pay 80$+ to go play paintball and get the live feeling of being at war. At McGill, you can pay 0$ and get to play an infiltration game, live. Tom Clancy, here I come.

As for your friend getting caught, let's just say I know someone who knows someone who knows someone who used an expired student ID card for two years, taking the bus/metro everyday, and never got caught. TWO COMPLETE YEARS, even if the bus drivers sometimes argued with him, nothing concrete happened.

Once again, most of the time the ones getting caught are the ones who don't know they're doing a fraud, and that sucks.

Old
07-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
wow that is the stupidest fine i've ever heard of. Getting fined for having the wrong metro pass? ****in idiots. Looking to plunder the people more are we?

Go stop criminals instead of wasting time on that ****.

I don't understand this, the rules are pretty clear, just follow them and you're fine. I mean, you have a clear expiration date on your student card, with the guys even coming to school so you don't have to go yourself and they give you until October to get one. Not only that, but the rules on who can and can't get a card is on the behind of every card... and most people have them since high school. I don't see how the cops are in the wrong here, do you hate them for doing their jobs?

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 10:57 AM
MastaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem Anderson View Post
I don't understand this, the rules are pretty clear, just follow them and you're fine. I mean, you have a clear expiration date on your student card, with the guys even coming to school so you don't have to go yourself and they give you until October to get one. Not only that, but the rules on who can and can't get a card is on the behind of every card... and most people have them since high school. I don't see how the cops are in the wrong here, do you hate them for doing their jobs?
Of course they're doing their job. Just like the cops giving tickets to homeless people and squeegees while way bigger crimes are being commited just on the other side of the street are also doing their job.

I think the question is not if they do their job or not, the question is if they do it right.

The thing is STM should makes things clear. I was used to buy a monthly pass with my 11-17 student card. Then I turned 18 and kept on doing so. But one month I didn't need my card as much, so I didn't buy it and then went to buy tickets and the guy told me I couldn't buy reduced price tickets because the 18-25 student card is good only for monthly passes. But nowhere do they tell you that. Since the period to buy a monthly pass was over, I had to buy regular tickets. I would almost say they deserve the fraud they're getting.