HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Learning Guitar

Old
06-30-2008, 09:40 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
OKay Sniper I think I figured out the chorus....

You can do this for a pretty good sound (again going by that youtube link you gave me)

Em: Strum the low E then strum a regular Em chord

D6: Down ---- Up-Up-Up-(O) Up and then pause and redo the Em and again I think it's the same length as the verse so like 8-10 times seems to work.... I don't know if I'm 100% accurate ya know but it sounds pretty good to me.

Away to practice some more

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 02:37 AM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
OKay Sniper I think I figured out the chorus....

You can do this for a pretty good sound (again going by that youtube link you gave me)

Em: Strum the low E then strum a regular Em chord

D6: Down ---- Up-Up-Up-(O) Up and then pause and redo the Em and again I think it's the same length as the verse so like 8-10 times seems to work.... I don't know if I'm 100% accurate ya know but it sounds pretty good to me.

Away to practice some more
Good job bro. Yeah your strumming pattern is spot on the way it's done in the song in reality. The reason you're not gonna be able to get it to sound the exact right way is because the band implements a technique called a muted strum between the up-strokes on the Dsus4 chord. Muted notes are notes where you touch every string on the guitar with one hand and strum with the other. It created a "click" sound and is very popular as a pacekeeper in music.

Try doing it if you like, but it's probably a little much to keep straight right now.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Forever27

The best way to start learning guitar is either to take lessons(duh) or to buy one of those "learn to play guitar" DVDs. The really basic ones. It's tough to get through because they're usually slow and boring and they teach you a bunch of stuff that doesn't seem important... but it's a great way to build a foundation.

Forever27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever27 View Post
The best way to start learning guitar is either to take lessons(duh) or to buy one of those "learn to play guitar" DVDs. The really basic ones. It's tough to get through because they're usually slow and boring and they teach you a bunch of stuff that doesn't seem important... but it's a great way to build a foundation.
I wonder if i could find a "Learn to play the Triangle" DVD out there. That would make me quite the accomplished double-threat musician: a cowbell and triangle player!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:04 PM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Satriani says learn the modes.

I saw this in another thread, I thought it was worth posting. It should also tell you that modes are the way to go if you are serious and Tabs are the way to go if you only want to play a couple of songs.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Lyons71

Ok, to teach yourself guitar, it sort of depends on your previous musical experience. If you have none, simply learning chords won't make sense. I mean, I had previous experience singing, and guitar was the first instrument I learned to play and it still was hard. But first, learn the basic chords (E F G A B C D) Then figure out how the chords go together. Barred chords (like B and F) will be hard at first. I remember when I first started playing guitar I couldn't play them for like 6 months. More than anything, it's going to take time if you want to get good. So be prepared to be planning many dates with your lovely new Ibanez.

If you like prog rock, then just learn scales and get a really awful singer and make a band. Make sure your singer is as lame as possible.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:43 PM
redwingsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
I saw this in another thread, I thought it was worth posting. It should also tell you that modes are the way to go if you are serious and Tabs are the way to go if you only want to play a couple of songs.
Modes are the way to go if I want to learn to play like Satriani? Now what if I want to write GOOD music???

redwingsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:48 PM
allin4466

I know what you mean about your fingers hurting.. I am trying to learn as well, and my fingers get insanely sore from trying to stretch out for the chords.

If you want the best place to hire a guitar teacher, go to your local university if it has a music program, the students there will teach you for like a box of Kraft Dinner.

Or, try www.justinguitar.com

allin4466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:57 PM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsrock View Post
Modes are the way to go if I want to learn to play like Satriani? Now what if I want to write GOOD music???
Modes are the way if you want to play ANY type of music and understand it = be a professional musician = play anything that needs to be played with no preparation. Good or Bad has nothing to do with it.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:40 AM
redwingsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
Modes are the way if you want to play ANY type of music and understand it = be a professional musician = play anything that needs to be played with no preparation. Good or Bad has nothing to do with it.
Oh, I agree, to an extent, I was just taking a dig at Satriani.

I dont believe understanding modes is necessary to be a professional musician (depending on your definition of professional). For example, many ****** bands have guitar players who probably do not know the ins and outs of music theory, yet they do play guitar for a living.

I dont know, to me, music is about the sound. I know the notes of the guitar, what each string at each fret sounds like, and I get by (granted I am not a professional, and dont claim to be). I do admit, I would not feel comfortable improvising for and hour or something, so in that respect, I agree, modes would help. I am big on music as a whole. Bass, Guitar, Drums, Piano, everything coming together and sounding really BIG.

I am in no way saying modes are not needed to be a phenomenal guitar player, because I am sure they are, but anyone with half decent guitar skills and a general understanding of how music works can write music. Will it be intricate or sound like Eric Johnson? Doubt it.

Neal Schon has admitted to not knowing what scales he is playing in and that man can play.

redwingsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

All it takes to learn playing guitar is love for music and your instrument. I was a pretty musical kid, started to learn playing piano when I was like five. Never really enjoyed it that much though. Then a few years ago I took my dad's old guitar and fell in love with that instrument immediately. Have been playing away ever since. My big sense of achievement came about a year ago, when I suddenly picked up my guitar and in one evening learned to play Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers, which had been one of the reasons I liked guitars that much. Every time you learn something new it also works as motivation to learn even more.

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the finnish flash View Post
All it takes to learn playing guitar is love for music and your instrument. I was a pretty musical kid, started to learn playing piano when I was like five. Never really enjoyed it that much though. Then a few years ago I took my dad's old guitar and fell in love with that instrument immediately. Have been playing away ever since. My big sense of achievement came about a year ago, when I suddenly picked up my guitar and in one evening learned to play Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers, which had been one of the reasons I liked guitars that much. Every time you learn something new it also works as motivation to learn even more.
That and Nothing Else Matters by Metallica were two songs that I was so eager to learn when I started guitar..

Now I play mostly fingerstyle and would never touch Metallica..

Funny how a few years can change your musical interests completely..

Gobias Industries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

It's quite funny actually, I think pretty much every kid who picks up guitar starts with Nothing Else Matters just because the very beginning of the song is the easiest ever. I don't know a single person who would have learned the whole thing with their first attempt though

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the finnish flash View Post
It's quite funny actually, I think pretty much every kid who picks up guitar starts with Nothing Else Matters just because the very beginning of the song is the easiest ever. I don't know a single person who would have learned the whole thing with their first attempt though
So true...it's like your second day with the guitar and you say:

"Wait!..I play the 6th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st strings open and it sounds like Nothing Else Matters....I AM A ROCK GOD!!"..

Gobias Industries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

To the OP:

Someone gave me the idea of carrying a tennis ball with me everywhere in my left hand and squeezing it with each finger individually going back and forth from index to pinky. It will help give your hand more strength and prevent it from cramping. Your finger tips will eventually harden or callous and it won't be painful anymore. Also, learning on an acoustic can be beneficial if you evenually buy an electric as your fingers will have a lot more dexterity (assuming you aren't using nylon strings).

I have been trying to learn songs by one of my favorite bands (Minus the Bear) and it requires a lot of fingertapping. I am a mediocre guitarists and the whole fingertapping thing is kinda new to me so its like starting over again. My fingertips on my right hand have been hurting a lot now!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:58 PM
caseygraves
Don Cherry apologist

vCash: 234
Wow, Great thread!

you all have inspired me to start learning...

caseygraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:55 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Learning to play guitar should be a very persnable expericen, In the sense that it should not be the same for any one person. Music is a expression of your self, make a note sound, and then make it some how sound like you. I know that sounds Cliche.

The thing is it depends what you want. I am sort of in the middle of sort of the emotional side and the technical side. LEt me try and explain.

some will say get a technical teacher and learn that way as not to develop bad habits. However bad habits = your style, which is a good thing. Take for example Jimi Hendrix, one of his huge things was using his thumb on the low E string, as far as I nkow he was the first to do this. From a technical stand point that is bad form, a teacher would have told him not to do that as it upsets a proper hand placement. Well needless to say, Jimi is a guitar god. Tons of guitarists do a lot of things that would never be tought to some one, they are technically wrong. The big thing is learn techiniques, but it you feel like changing then change. Do what ever sounds right to you.

It depends what you want to do, Play the music you love, you can't go wrong that way. Don't worry about being to technical, at the same time, you will hit a wall if you don't use some theory, you need it to expand horizons at some point.

Any way lol, not even sure if this relates to the first post.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 04:37 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Update: I learned three songs so far -- I learned Wild Thing, Horse With No Name, and The Scientist -- and I gotta say I can play them pretty well -- but not great but the biggest problem I have is shifting my fingers between chords -- especially when there are 4 chords in the song and they switch pretty fast. My fingers don't hurt as much but still do -- but the stretchiness isn't coming along as quickly as I was hoping -- still I'm really glad I'm trying to do this

Good luck to the others in this thread who were inspired to start learning too!

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Clock

Let me give a few more tips:

- If you want to take it easier on yourself, get an electric instead of an acoustic. The thinner strings are much easier on your fingers, the action on the guitar (the distance between the fretboard and the strings) is generally less and therefore easier to play, and obviously you can get many different sounds out of an electric than an acoustic.
- Force yourself to do scales. Major, minor, pentatonic, up and down the neck. It's really boring, but this will help you out IMMENSELY when you move on to soloing.
- Either play with a metronome or play with a recording. It's incredibly important to develop good rhythm.
- The internet is loaded with great tips, all the way from how to properly hold a pick all the way up to sweep picking.
- Have fun with it. If all you do is stuff out of a book, you're going to get bored quickly. To this end, learn three things: How to read tab (or tablature), how to play a pentatonic scale, and how to play a power chord!
- Tab is a relatively easy way to learn how to play your favorite tunes. olga.net is a great resource, but generally if you just Google the song name you're hunting for and "guitar tab," you're going to find something. The internet is AWESOME for this stuff, and you'll be surprised at how much you can learn from reading tab. Patterns, licks, etc.
- The pentatonic scale lets you solo in a obnoxiously easy manner provided you're doing it over a minor scale. Let's say you're listening to "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd and you want to solo over the second solo (the one that sounds sad). I believe the solo starts on a B. Starting from the low E and moving to the high E, the pentatonic scale looks like this:

E: 0 3
B: 0 3
G: 0 2
D: 0 2
A: 0 2
E: 0 3

Each number indicates which frets you can play on that particular string that will "sound good" in whatever key you're in. See how all of the first set of numbers are 0 and the farthest away you can go from that position is 3 frets away? That means you don't have to move your hand at all once you're in the right key!

So then where do you put your hand in the first place? Easy, using either the low or high E, the 0 spot is the note of the key you're in. Example: If you're playing in A minor, then your 0 spot is at the fret that plays A on the top or bottom string, so that's the fifth fret (it'll have a dot on it). Now just follow the pattern from above. On the low E string, you can hit either that 0th note or you can hit the third fret away from the 0th note. On the A string, the next one up, you again can hit either the 0th spot (fifth fret) or the second fret away. Etc etc.

So - Comfortably Numb. Put your index finger on the seventh fret (it'll be in one of the rows of frets with a dot on it). Play it. That's your B, that's the root note of the key that Gilmour is playing in. That fret is your anchor as long as he stays in that key (which, luckily for you, is for the duration of the song once the second solo starts).

I remember when I learned this stuff nine or ten years ago I had an absolute blast with it and was amazed at how easy it was after I had the hang of it.

Wow. K I'm done.

Good luck to all of you learning! The learning curve is a bit steep at first, but if you can get past that then it's an amazing instrument to keep at.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Brownie

This thread needs some Marty Friedman

Tornado of Souls solo ftw

Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
There's my HC guy. Don't forget the lesson loft their either.
yeah I used to post there once in a while, I'm now almost exclusively on gear page whenever I ask questions

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Dr Turk

so i didnt want to start my own thread, but wanted some opinions on the guitar i was gonna get its called ESP LTD MH-250NT and looks like this:

I found it for 400 bucks online and it looks pretty sweet. ive been playing for about 4 years yet i am still on a squier. does anyone have any opinions on esp guitars?

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote