HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: fined (need some advice)

Old
07-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Rover*

vCash: 500
I wish vancouver cops had montreal cops enthusiasm for busting ticket rule breakers and applied it to potheads here.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaK View Post
Of course they're doing their job. Just like the cops giving tickets to homeless people and squeegees while way bigger crimes are being commited just on the other side of the street are also doing their job.

I think the question is not if they do their job or not, the question is if they do it right.

The thing is STM should makes things clear. I was used to buy a monthly pass with my 11-17 student card. Then I turned 18 and kept on doing so. But one month I didn't need my card as much, so I didn't buy it and then went to buy tickets and the guy told me I couldn't buy reduced price tickets because the 18-25 student card is good only for monthly passes. But nowhere do they tell you that. Since the period to buy a monthly pass was over, I had to buy regular tickets. I would almost say they deserve the fraud they're getting.
http://www.stm.info/info/privilege.htm

Quote:
L'étudiant âgé de vingt-cinq (25) ans au 1er septembre de l'année courante et devant atteindre vingt-six (26) ans avant le 1er septembre de l'année suivante se voit émettre une carte «PRIVILÈGE ÉTUDIANT 18-25» expirant le 31 août de l'année où il atteint son vingt-sixième (26e) anniversaire.

La carte, présentée en tout temps avec la CAM mensuelle à tarif réduit seulement, permet les déplacements effectués sur le réseau autobus et métro de la STM. Elle ne permet pas les déplacements sur le réseau de trains de banlieue de l'AMT ni sur les réseaux de la STL, du RTL ou des CIT.

Si vous avez atteint l'âge de 26 ans cette année, votre carte Privilège demeure valide jusqu'au 31 août 2007 même si votre carte porte la mention « Expiration 30 juin 2007 ».

Si vous ne pouvez présenter votre carte Privilège, vous devez payer le plein tarif. Une amende de 150 $ plus les frais administratifs est prévue pour les contrevenants utilisant un titre de transport à tarif réduit sans présentation de la carte d'accès y donnant droit.

I don't use it anymore, but I remember both the privilege and monthly pass specify what you're allowed.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem Anderson View Post
I don't understand this, the rules are pretty clear, just follow them and you're fine. I mean, you have a clear expiration date on your student card, with the guys even coming to school so you don't have to go yourself and they give you until October to get one. Not only that, but the rules on who can and can't get a card is on the behind of every card... and most people have them since high school. I don't see how the cops are in the wrong here, do you hate them for doing their jobs?
I agree with you.. the only thing I personnaly question is why do people that have the right to the discount get the same fine as those who don't? If they had a little judgement they would not fine (or at least not for the same amount) those who actually study full time and can prove it...

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 02:41 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
I don't understand this, the rules are pretty clear, just follow them and you're fine. I mean, you have a clear expiration date on your student card, with the guys even coming to school so you don't have to go yourself and they give you until October to get one. Not only that, but the rules on who can and can't get a card is on the behind of every card... and most people have them since high school. I don't see how the cops are in the wrong here, do you hate them for doing their jobs?
I hear what you are saying, but surely you can see that heavily fining a real student over a technical defect as opposed to out and out fraud is just plain ridiculous.

For the same reason that there are such low student rates there should also be applicable fines for student violations. Fining a HS student or even a college student so heavily is just not right.

There should be fines that fit the issue. I refuse to call a high school student forgetting to renew a card in a timely fashion a crime

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
I wish vancouver cops had montreal cops enthusiasm for busting ticket rule breakers and applied it to potheads here.
Oh the irony of a cat drinking beer avatar kinda guy/gal calling out the potheads. btw, i like your avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I prefer typos, because spelling makes me sound stupid,while typo is just clumsy. I'm also very lazy.

Remember in school, you'd ask how to spell something and the teacher would tell you to look it up ? I learned that yelling, 'Wouldn't you have to know how to spell it to do that you twit ?' wasn't the way to go.
Well i'm lazy and clumsy too so I clearly shouldn't have to corrext any typos and i'm starting now.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-27-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Plekanetzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
damn bureaucrats.... they said they wanted to put cops in every metro station to make it more "safe" and "secure", but the true goal was to give tickets... and more tickets. Every morning, going to work, I spot one kid like youself getting a ticket for the exact same reason. These cops should be ashamed of themselves... such tools of the system.
They have to pay those cops. Where they get their money to pay them?? Give more tickets.....

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 12:15 PM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
So I'm looking at my ticket today and I remembered the cop telling me, if I don't pay they will issue a warrant for my arrest...

BULL ****! On the back of the ticket it says if you don't pay it will be regarded as a not guilty plea! All these cops want is the ****ing money.

*******s.

Mitch

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post
So I'm looking at my ticket today and I remembered the cop telling me, if I don't pay they will issue a warrant for my arrest...

BULL ****! On the back of the ticket it says if you don't pay it will be regarded as a not guilty plea! All these cops want is the ****ing money.

*******s.

Mitch
I'd read it again.

Unless the ticket is radically different from a traffic ticket, you need to actually fill out the section regarding the not guilty plea and send it in to the court to register it. Paying the ticket automatically registers as a guilty plea, and simply ignoring the ticket also automatically registers as a guilty plea + you get additional fines for not paying the ticket on time.

I love how everyone gets pissed off at the cops as if they have some sort of choice in the matter. Laws are passed by (you guessed it) lawmakers, and the police are the public agents charged with enforcing said laws. If you believe they are so unfair, it is your responsibility to do whatever you can to change said laws -

-Create a petition, get students to sign it, present it to a council meeting
-Attend council meetings and give proper arguments as to why the law (and specifically the fines involved) are unfair in proportion to the offense being committed
-If all else fails, run for council and get elected, and change from within

Of course, all of these involve actually working to change the present circumstances, but they are at the very least possibly effective - simply complaining on an internet board about how the police are somehow wrong when they're simply doing their jobs is as ineffective a strategy to help change things as I've ever seen.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 02:08 AM
MastaK

Quote:
http://www.stm.info/info/privilege.htm

I don't use it anymore, but I remember both the privilege and monthly pass specify what you're allowed.
You're right. I'm dumb. I just checked behind my card and it says it...it's just that nobody ever mentionned it to me when I got it done so I just automatically thought it was gonna be the same as my previous card. Oh well, I still think it's kind of tricky because you get used to have the right to buy tickets and weekly passes when you're young and then they give you a 18-25 card, don't mention that it's only for monthly passes so you think it's just the same as your previous card, but it's not.

MastaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:48 PM
snakeye

Question:

I received my opus card in the mail not long ago, but decided to buy a regular bus pass, because I didn't have time to go downtown and recharge it. Now I have an empty opus card, an expired "carte privilege" from last year, and a student bus pass. Can I get a fine?

The bus driver today stopped me while getting on the buy and told me that the bus pass in not valid and I have to recharge my opus card. Is this true? Why the hell is the STM still selling student bus passes then?

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:39 PM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
Question:

I received my opus card in the mail not long ago, but decided to buy a regular bus pass, because I didn't have time to go downtown and recharge it. Now I have an empty opus card, an expired "carte privilege" from last year, and a student bus pass. Can I get a fine?

The bus driver today stopped me while getting on the buy and told me that the bus pass in not valid and I have to recharge my opus card. Is this true? Why the hell is the STM still selling student bus passes then?
Hmm. The bus driver asked me to show my card today too after showing him my bus pass. I showed him my OPUS card and that was fine.

Mitch

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:00 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins77 View Post
Ok. So this morning I walk inside the montreal metro with my student weekly pass (I am 19years old) and I am stopped by a cop. Basically, I am told that I am not allowed to have the student pass because I am 19 and that I should have the adult pass. Therefore, I receive a nice 214$ ticket. I just don't understand why so much for buying a student weekly pass. I am a student (college and stuff), and even if they have the right to fine me, which I assume they do, why that much? Isn't that the same amount as if I were to be speeding in a school zone or causing danger to the public? Anyways, any advice or similar problems.
Uhm, last I checked if you're in school and have a student ID up until 25, you're allowed to have the student pass. I know I did when I was 19 and never got fined and at time there would be cops standing at the metro waiting for people to check their ID's.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:17 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
I love how everyone gets pissed off at the cops as if they have some sort of choice in the matter. Laws are passed by (you guessed it) lawmakers, and the police are the public agents charged with enforcing said laws. If you believe they are so unfair, it is your responsibility to do whatever you can to change said laws -
I agree that people are too hard on cops, when it's their job to enforce laws that exist for a reason. However, Montreal police have been known to be a little overexuberant at times. I've seen it first hand.

My friends and I travelled from Ottawa to Montreal for a concert four or five years ago, and we received a ticket for not locking the door on the van we drove up before we went into the concert. We got out of the show to find the ticket on the windshield. It was only 57 bucks, so even though we were students at the time it wasn't a lot of damage split a few ways. But a fine for not locking your vehicle's door when it's parked? That's ridiculous.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Tortue

When I went to Montreal this summer I went in a depanneur? asked for a metro card for the week. I received this card. I go for about 2 days everywhere in town, no questions asked. Then one night I'm at the metro station on the island and I'm about to slide my card when this ***** female officer asks to check my card. She said that I would be fined 200 something dollars. Then she asked for my ID I gave her my New-Brunswick driving licence and she said it was ok. But since I was drunk and not listening she almost gave the fine anyways. In the end I just had to go spend another 20$ to end the week.

Tortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 03:30 PM
la25ecoupe

My company pays for my train pass, so i don't care what the price is and do not have to cheat mouhahahah.

Pay the fine. Then cheat again, you'll save money for the fine you paid

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 04:14 PM
JrHockeyFan

Montreal should get into the business of making visitors feel welcome on public transit

I travelled to Chicago 2 summers ago and visitors can buy an unlimited pass for a weekend for $9. That gets you on subways and buses. Parking at one of the subway lots (Cumberland) was $2 for all day (it can be $35 downtown for about 4 or 5 hours)

Just this summer I went to Boston for 4 days. We bought a one week card for $15. It covered subway, bus and water taxi to the other side of the harbour as well. We used the water taxi to get from North Boston over to where the USS Constitution is docked.

It wouldn't hurt to make local users happy too. Why make people feel threatened. Surely they can create a fair system that eliminates the need for "are your paperz in ohdah" type cops. That stuff leaves a lot of hard feelings

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 06:56 PM
mrCoffea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georges St Laraque View Post
Contesting will only delay things but the results may be the same. I know because i contested a seatbelt ticket a few years ago and it was a complete waste of time since i lost my cause. I thought that i had excellent counter arguments but in the end it was an EPIC FAIL.

My advice would be to just pay it and move on.
yeah, but honestly, sometimes you get lucky

my friend once was 100% in the wrong, went to contest, and before he could even say a word the Judge overruled his ticket

so it's worth it to go just in case

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 07:04 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post
yeah, but honestly, sometimes you get lucky

my friend once was 100% in the wrong, went to contest, and before he could even say a word the Judge overruled his ticket

so it's worth it to go just in case
My friend also got his ticket overuled, because the cop didn't show up and the lady rep was *****y and the judge didn't like it.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 09:47 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
It's funny you should say that, in Montreal most of the stories I hear, the cops have let people I know smoking pot off without even a ticket. Sometimes they throw away their pot, most of the time they don't even get searched and one time my buddies were smoking pot in their car in a parking lot and got busted, the cops let them drive home and they were clearly baked.

What is your problem with potheads anyways? Just because they like pot a substance which should be legal when your precious government sells alcohol/cigarettes, worse drugs, doesn't give you a right to hate on them really. Are they harming you by smoking pot? What's your damage buddy? Why do you even care it's their life not yours.

I mean, do you ever drink alcohol or get drunk or are you extremely anti-anything? Cause if you drink all I can say is go ruin your life on booze and kill your brain and liver while complaining about potheads who are doing much less harm to themselves then people who drink. Bars are much worse drug dealers then pot dealers are, and half the time bars harbour cocaine dealers and such just to bring in more business. Cocaine = ppl drink more, attracts more people, etc. Alcohol the main thing bars sell, is much worse for you then pot and people do much stupider things when on it. I'd rather hear some pothead got arrested for driving home stoned going the speed limit or lower rather then some alcoholic ****tard ran over my neice on his way home and didn't even realize.

Anyways, I just don't see why you make it personal what people do with their own lives when it's widely acceptable to smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol, two far worse things than pot. Why do you honestly care if somebody wants to smoke pot it's their life. And why I make it personal is because I do smoke pot and am sick and tired of people like you with their close minded mentalities on a drug they likely never even tried nor did they do any research on other then the war on drugs campaign.

Old
11-12-2008, 09:56 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I agree with you.. the only thing I personnaly question is why do people that have the right to the discount get the same fine as those who don't? If they had a little judgement they would not fine (or at least not for the same amount) those who actually study full time and can prove it...
EXACTLY. I remember one time at the 211 stop at lionel groulx they had a guy checking peoples cards. My friend went up and didn't realize they were checking as we were at the middle back of the line and didn't notice a guy standing there. He had no student card but had dawson ID, school bag with all sorts of school stuff on him, was CLEARLY a student. Like there simply was no denying he was a student and they fined his ass just cause he didn't have their precious card. I mean I understand where they're coming from and all but try fining the people who actually do deserve it not those who don't have an 8$ card which is redundant in that it only says the same thing as what your school ID does really.

Old
11-12-2008, 09:59 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
Oh the irony of a cat drinking beer avatar kinda guy/gal calling out the potheads. btw, i like your avatar
Ignorance is clearly bliss in his case. I'm sure he'll still be hating on the potheads leading perfectly normal lives at the point in time which his liver shuts down. Then he'll look up to the sky and wonder why me? Why don't those horrible evil drug doers die, why me?

Old
11-12-2008, 10:07 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
I'd read it again.

Unless the ticket is radically different from a traffic ticket, you need to actually fill out the section regarding the not guilty plea and send it in to the court to register it. Paying the ticket automatically registers as a guilty plea, and simply ignoring the ticket also automatically registers as a guilty plea + you get additional fines for not paying the ticket on time.

-Create a petition, get students to sign it, present it to a council meeting
-Attend council meetings and give proper arguments as to why the law (and specifically the fines involved) are unfair in proportion to the offense being committed
-If all else fails, run for council and get elected, and change from within

Of course, all of these involve actually working to change the present circumstances, but they are at the very least possibly effective - simply complaining on an internet board about how the police are somehow wrong when they're simply doing their jobs is as ineffective a strategy to help change things as I've ever seen.
Don't be naive, petitions and such never changed **** and if they did it was a 1/100000 type thing.

Not saying the rest of your post is wrong or anything but don't make me laugh, in order for the system to be changed one must first become a part of that system and who would want to do that?

And maybe the fact that murderers/rapists/drug dealers are all out on the streets, drunk drivers, etc, and they're wasting tax payers money with THIS ********, is what makes people so annoyed with this type of stuff.

I mean they aren't saving lives, they're stopping a crime as petty as a child stealing a chocolate bar. This is downright pathetic, but then when something of yours gets stolen or you get robbed they basically don't do **** about it, it's gone. Now I know it isn't likely for them to find stolen goods and all, but it's better they put their time to busting someone for grand theft, say for home invasion/house robbery, then to actually go around ticketing people over a bus pass. I mean, I'm sick and ****ing tired of how this province pisses away tax dollars on the ********* construction jobs and 50 different government branches paying 10 employees to do 1 persons job. It's absolutely pathetic, the people who actually work their balls off to make money are paying for these pathetic uneducated low lifes who just feed off of crappy government jobs where they'd be getting paid half as much in any other province, and now I have to have more of my taxes go to these cops busting kids who DO go to college for not having a specific STM card?

Well I'll say this, **** the STM, the the quebec government, and **** their ******** theft of all of our money. Where else in Canada do they get taxed like this for purchases and/or for paycheque? It's absolutely ridiculous, our province should be ashamed of how our tax dollars are misused.

How about paying a construction company to do the job right once using expensive materials that cost twice as much money so that the roads will be perfect for 25 years, not 1-2. I'd rather they spend my tax $ paying double to have the roads working for 25 years then to pay half that every 1-2 years.

Anyways

/endrant

Old
11-12-2008, 10:16 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

1) Neofury complains too much
2) You obviously like to argue and be right
3) Are you the internet police?
4) Was it REALLY necessary to spam the thread with 3 seperate posts that could of easily been condensed in one?

edit: oh wait. now it's 4. seriously dude. combine your posts. since you're so smart, it shouldnt be very hard.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 10:16 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
It's funny you should say that, in Montreal most of the stories I hear, the cops have let people I know smoking pot off without even a ticket. Sometimes they throw away their pot, most of the time they don't even get searched and one time my buddies were smoking pot in their car in a parking lot and got busted, the cops let them drive home and they were clearly baked.

What is your problem with potheads anyways? Just because they like pot a substance which should be legal when your precious government sells alcohol/cigarettes, worse drugs, doesn't give you a right to hate on them really. Are they harming you by smoking pot? What's your damage buddy? Why do you even care it's their life not yours.

I mean, do you ever drink alcohol or get drunk or are you extremely anti-anything? Cause if you drink all I can say is go ruin your life on booze and kill your brain and liver while complaining about potheads who are doing much less harm to themselves then people who drink. Bars are much worse drug dealers then pot dealers are, and half the time bars harbour cocaine dealers and such just to bring in more business. Cocaine = ppl drink more, attracts more people, etc. Alcohol the main thing bars sell, is much worse for you then pot and people do much stupider things when on it. I'd rather hear some pothead got arrested for driving home stoned going the speed limit or lower rather then some alcoholic ****tard ran over my neice on his way home and didn't even realize.

Anyways, I just don't see why you make it personal what people do with their own lives when it's widely acceptable to smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol, two far worse things than pot. Why do you honestly care if somebody wants to smoke pot it's their life. And why I make it personal is because I do smoke pot and am sick and tired of people like you with their close minded mentalities on a drug they likely never even tried nor did they do any research on other then the war on drugs campaign.
Guy I smoke, but seriously, don't kid yourself. Smoking weed is bad for you man. Saying that alchool and cigarettes are worse is a mistake. They probably do differentiate in effects, but trust me smoking weed screws up your lungs to probably the same extent as cigs, and your brain like alchool. Anyone should have the right to decide what they want to do with whatever substance they want, it's to that person to think about the risk. Please don't think smoking pot doesn't harm you the way other drugs do, you are simply kidding yourself.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 10:38 AM
marc1337

And then it's going to cost 340....

marc1337 is offline   Reply With Quote