HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Combos?

Old
07-26-2008, 09:40 PM
otto1219

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Naslund-Gomez-Sjostrom
Prucha-Drury-Zherdev
Dawes-Dubi-Fritsche
Voros-Betts-Orr

Trade Callahan for whatever or send him to Hartford.

Redden-Staal
Rozsival-Kalinin
Mara-Girardi

Henrik

i like that
i dont know how much trade value cally has, maybe a 3rd or 4th? but i would much rather have him then one of those picks. if you have voros in the line up you dont need orr and vice versa, and i always thought that rissmiller>voros, why isnt he on more peoples lineups?

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 09:46 PM
NYR Viper

i dont understand when people put prucha in the lineup over pretty much anyone....he hasnt done anything this past season for him to EARN that spot.....

naslund-gomez-zherdev
dawes-drury-fritsche
callahan-dubinsky-sjostrom
voros-betts-rissmiller
orr, prucha

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 11:34 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i dont understand when people put prucha in the lineup over pretty much anyone....he hasnt done anything this past season for him to EARN that spot.....

naslund-gomez-zherdev
dawes-drury-fritsche
voros-betts-rissmiller
orr, prucha
it is kinda hard to do that when he isn't going to get a spot anyway.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Fritsche? Callahan? Sjostrom? Korpikoski?

These are the names I keep seeing pop up with regards to second line wingers. They are all stretches, and thats putting it kindly. I already am not a big fan of the fact that Prucha or Dawes will probably have to be relied on for consistent scoring as well. Id move Drury to the wing, move Dubinsky up to 2nd line center and have a top 6 of

1. Gomez
2. Zherdev
3. Naslund
4. Drury
5. Dubinsky
6. Dawes/Prucha (whoevers playing better)

All the while, the guys who are stretches now for the second time can develop their games on the 3rd and 4th lines, which should provide more offensive punch at times.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 12:00 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Dawes - Gomez - Zherdev
Naslund - Dubinsky - Drury
Fritsche - Anisimov - Korpikoski
Callahan - Betts - Sjostrom

Staal - Redden
Rozsival - Girardi
Kalinin - Mara

Lundqvist
Valiquette

Healthy scratches: Rissmiller, Voros, Pock

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 12:10 PM
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Dawes - Gomez - Zherdev
Naslund - Dubinsky - Drury
Fritsche - Anisimov - Korpikoski
Callahan - Betts - Sjostrom

Staal - Redden
Rozsival - Girardi
Kalinin - Mara

Lundqvist
Valiquette

Healthy scratches: Rissmiller, Voros, Pock
this could work, but does this meaning trading prucha and orr?

maybe we can give gomez and drury on the same line another shot, i dont see how a sniper and playmaker playing together cant work. do something like

dawes-gomez-drury
naslund-dubinsky-zherdev

as top two lines? and dont give me the whole argument cant have 14 million dollars one line, if it works it works.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 01:33 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
this could work, but does this meaning trading prucha and orr?

maybe we can give gomez and drury on the same line another shot, i dont see how a sniper and playmaker playing together cant work. do something like

dawes-gomez-drury
naslund-dubinsky-zherdev

as top two lines? and dont give me the whole argument cant have 14 million dollars one line, if it works it works.
Either one works on paper.

Though, i wouldn't really classify Drury as a sniper. He is more of a junk goal scorer.

Maybe the key in your scenario is splitting up Zherdev and Gomez. Both are puck carriers.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 01:59 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:

naslund-gomez-zherdev
dawes-drury-fritsche
voros-betts-rissmiller
orr, prucha
Once you can explain to me what Callahan, Fritsche, Sjostrom and Dawes all did that was so impressive they are in your top 9, I'll begin to leave our only homegrown 30+ goal scorer of the past decade out of the lineup.
I do think some of these guys are top 9, but no more worthy than Prucha of the spot. your Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev line looks nice, but we are not talented enough to top load our frontline like that. With the makeup of this team Gomez needs to play with ONE of Naslund and Zherdev, Drury must play with the other. We need to be able to score with all our lines, not just the first, so you bump some guys up that may be able to perform better with better players (Prucha and Dawes).
Naslund-Gomez-Prucha
Dawes-Drury-Zherdev
Fritche-Dubinsky-Sjostrom/Korpikoski
Voros-Betts-Callahan

This lineup, (while I agree is stretching Prucha to a top line forward) I believe is alot more difficult to defend top to bottom, especially when you consider we have a more offensively capable defense.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Ola

These are the lines I expect from the start of the season. Due to that fact I've taken a couple of things into consideration.

-Because we have made so many changes I think Renney will play Staal with Rozi and Redden with Girardi. That might not be my option longterm -- but it makes sense from a chemistry point of view. We got so many new parts so that is important.

-I think Dubinsky Is our 2nd best center and maybe our 4th best forward. But I am sure that Renney don't mind playing him in a role with lesser expectations then he would get on a 2nd line. Our 3rd line also won't play much less then our 2nd line. In that sense -- I also think Dubinsky is the best fit for the 3rd line. Like I think Dubinsky would do better with Fritsche and Cally for example then Drury would. So I got Dubinsky on a 3rd line to start the season; for above mentioned reasons. I defenitly belives that he could advance during the season.

So for game 1 of the season I expect these units:

1st unit:
Dawes-Gomez-Näslund
Staal-Rozival
Comment: For certain type of players Scott Gomez is the easiest guy in the world to play with -- for others he is a quite tricky linemate. He loves to take the puck up ice and he wants it all the time. He is programmed to transport it safe and to make sure it gets down deep. A forward who thrived down low -- but not so much in the neutral zone -- loves to play with Gomer. Someone who creates allot of offense on transition from the redline and in; can be kind of shut out by Gomez in that area. Dawes is a decent fit with Gomez and they got some chemistry. And Näslund is also a decent fit; and he got the experience to make it work. He is the sniper who can capatilize on Gomez passes. The downside is that this line don't got much pucksupport on the circle down low. Just like Dawes-Gomer-Shanny was a tad light once they got into the attackingzone; and therefor had some problems with creating prolonged pressure, thats also the weakness with this line.

Roszival on the blueline is also a good fit with Gomer. Rozi likes to hold on to the puck for a couple of D to D passes before he leaves it over to someone who have sought out open ice.

Prucha-Drury-Zherdev
Redden-Girardi
Comments: Drury's success with Thomas Vanek speaks for it self. Drury is a very demanding player according to several accounts. He sees the overall picture on the ice and he can do a bit of everything. He also got the prioritys pinned down -- its not about how its done on the ice; what matters is that it gets done. That will help someone like Zherdev. I also belives that Drury in his turn will be a diffrent player playing with someone like Zherdev. Chris needs help with taking the puck ice, and Z can certainly do that. Prucha is also a highenergy player who always gives 120% as everyone knows. His intensity will be important for the other two. Someone who nevers takes a shift off et c. Prucha and Z might develop some chemistry on their own too.

I also think that its especially important for guys like Drury and Zherdev to play with a D who can go above and beyond when it comes to delivering a first pass. Zherdev needs someone who can spring him on a breakaway, and Drury needs someone who can get him past the first wave of forecheckers. It would be of great help for thoose 2 to play with Wade Redden.

Voros-Dubinsky-Callahan
Kalinin-Mara
Comment: Dubinsky is so good at taking the puck up ice that I think that he can carry a linemate like Voros. The benefit with having Voros on that line is that he is a player who creates allot of havoc on the ice. This line would most defenitly be a pain in the ass to play against. I thought Dubi really picked up his intensity to when he got to play with Avery last season (Avery-Dubi-Jagr) and I envision the same kind of intensity form this line. I also think both Cally and Dubi would benefit from having a big body on their line.

Sjöström/Fritsche-Betts-Orr

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, some things will have changed come PO time. First of all I think Dubinsky is to good not to have in a very prominant role. I think Sangs will have been brought up to help the PP. I also think the Anisimov and Korpikoski have won spots on the team.

Drury-Gomez-Zherdev
Sangunetti-Rozival
Comment: Would be our "super unit". I think they could develop allot of chemistry. Rozsival isn't the offensive type of D who needs to be played with a defensive D; he did fine playing with Thomas Pöck. Sangs would bring some much needed offensive punch to the blueline.

Näslund-Dubinsky-Anisimov
Staal-Redden
Comment: I am trying to recapture the Näslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi unit! Seriously though, this team desperatly needs a big body who got some offensive skills. I don't see Anisimov on the wing down the line in the NHL; but just like Malkin he could play some wing early in his career. He is very good when it comes to tempo changing and crashing the net. He is also strong on the puck in the corners. I think he makes this line complete.

They would be backed up by a very solid D pairing.

Prucha-Betts-Korpikoski
Kalinin-Girardi
Comments: Allot of guys on HF pulling their hair over Renney's decision to promote Betts; but in Tom's mind he lets Prucha and Korpi do their stuff offensivly while Betts takes care of the defensive aspects.

Betts and Korpi also forms a outsanding PK pair.

Voros-Fritsche-Callahan
Comments: A real energy line.

Last edited by Ola: 07-27-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Interesting take Ola. Curious though, what do you see happening with Dawes that he is no longer on the roster at playoff time?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 11:01 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Drury-Gomez-Zherdev
Sangunetti-Rozival
Just Curious why you wouldn't have Redden and Rozy switched, IMO, and some others on this board, Rozy is one of the main reasons our PP didnt really work last year.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 11:05 PM
NYR Viper

i have said it many times

the rangers are built with players who do more than one thing and are good at those things.......thats why players like drury, gomez, redden were all brought in and players like jagr, malik, tyutin werent held on to......prucha is exactly like those players....if he isnt scoring, he isnt doing much which is why he was sat for most of last season....i would rather play a guy like callahan in the top 6 who is above average defensively, younger, brings more energy and may not score as many goals but creates more havoc over a player like prucha who needs someone to carry him.....i would understand playing him in the top-6 if the rangers didnt have enough solid talent, but they have an over-abundance and i feel like considering he is a true one-dimensional player he wont see much ice-time this upcoming season.......hence the reason i see a trade

naslund-gomez-drury
dawes-dubinsky-zherdev
callahan-fritsche-sjostrom
voros-betts-rissmiller/orr

solid top two-lines.....second line is young and full of energy and skill.....third line has a lot of speed and will drive to the net AND is defensively responsible......4th line should create more offense than last year while still being defensively aware

Old
07-28-2008, 02:23 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Just Curious why you wouldn't have Redden and Rozy switched, IMO, and some others on this board, Rozy is one of the main reasons our PP didnt really work last year.
Just to get Staal and Redden paired up 5 on 5; on the PP Sangs and Redden would be the 1st choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Interesting take Ola. Curious though, what do you see happening with Dawes that he is no longer on the roster at playoff time?
Ideally, we need more size on the top 2 lines. Like both Näslund and Gomez defenitly thrives if played with atleast one PF.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Ideally, we need more size on the top 2 lines. Like both Näslund and Gomez defenitly thrives if played with atleast one PF.
True enough.

Old
07-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Fletch

talk about...

thinking out of the box.

First, now that everyone has informed me that Naslund is most comfortable on the left side, in no event do I not want to see him on the right side. Saw it with Kovalev (playing on the left instead of the right) and it was a disaster. So my first tweak would be to have Naslunk on Gomez's left (or someone's left). The question becomes who's the right winger...an answer to a question I don't know.

I do agree with your defense pairings and don't mind seeing any combination of the top four that has a left defenseman and a right defenseman. I do think that Sanguinetti/Rozsival could be a recipe for disaster, however.

You have Betts as a third liner, which means you're basically conceding to the bottom two lines producing. If Anisimov does end up on this team at some point, I'd guess it would be on the third line, not as a wing on another line. Just a hunch.

I'm still struggling overall with the lineup because there are too many third and fourth liners in it to make heads or tails. I'm struggling to find that right combo without Dubi or Drury moving to the wing and am having trouble. There are pairs I wouldn't mind seeing, but with so many people to choose from and not knowing who will actually be here, it's difficult putting the puzzle together. For example, I think Drury and Naslund would make a decent pairing, which would put Gomez with Zherdev [and I guess Dawes]. If Prucha's still on this team I wouldn't mind seeing him to Dubi's left as I liked that combo last season even though it was short-lived. Then there's Voros, Rissmiller, Fritsche, Sjostrom, Cally, Betts, Orr as well as potential youngsters, especially Korps. Ideally we'd see Korps with Dubi on a third line. I think that would be fun to watch. But who plays the left side? Would Cally move up, or out with Fritsche around. We all thought that this was a first-class problem last season when we can move around the lineup in many ways. If you get it wrong early and struggle to find an identity, the season could be lost before you know it, and that's my concern.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Fletch..

I'm also having some issues with who to move to the wing, if anyone. Personally, if I had to choose one, I'd pick Dubinsky. Simply for the fact that he's young and he's shown he can be molded into the type of player that fits the needs of a specific line. I'd try:

Top six:
Naslund - Gomez - Dubinsky
Dawes - Dury - Zherdev

Seems like Dubinsky would be a great addition to the line. He's already accustomed to playing first line minutes and has shown the ability to create turn overs and dig the puck out of the corners. He might make Naslund feel a bit.. safer I guess. This team is dying for an aggressive, gritty power-forward on the wings and I think Dubinsky is the guy we're looking for.

Bottom six:
Callahan - Fritsche - Sjostrom
Voros - Betts - Rissmiller

As we all know, Fritsche's face-off ability is questionable, but he could be a good temporary solution until Anisimov is ready.

Barring some pretty stellar performances across the board, I don't foresee any roster with our current players being a cup contender, but I think that lineup could make the playoffs.

This is all done assuming we don't make another move before the season begins.

Old
07-28-2008, 11:18 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I'm also having some issues with who to move to the wing, if anyone. Personally, if I had to choose one, I'd pick Dubinsky. Simply for the fact that he's young and he's shown he can be molded into the type of player that fits the needs of a specific line. I'd try:

Top six:
Dawes - Dury - Zherdev

Seems like Dubinsky would be a great addition to the line. He's already accustomed to playing first line minutes and has shown the ability to create turn overs and dig the puck out of the corners. He might make Naslund feel a bit.. safer I guess. This team is dying for an aggressive, gritty power-forward on the wings and I think Dubinsky is the guy we're looking for.

Bottom six:
Callahan - Fritsche - Sjostrom
Voros - Betts - Rissmiller

As we all know, Fritsche's face-off ability is questionable, but he could be a good temporary solution until Anisimov is ready.

Barring some pretty stellar performances across the board, I don't foresee any roster with our current players being a cup contender, but I think that lineup could make the playoffs.

This is all done assuming we don't make another move before the season begins.

i like those lines.....fritsche is okay at faceoffs, but we saw how dubinsky took off on faceoffs once he got on the rangers....i would assume drury, gomez, and betts helped him in that area so im sure he wouldnt be as bad.....and if he is callahan can be tried.....

Old
07-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
i like those lines.....fritsche is okay at faceoffs, but we saw how dubinsky took off on faceoffs once he got on the rangers....i would assume drury, gomez, and betts helped him in that area so im sure he wouldnt be as bad.....and if he is callahan can be tried.....
Petr Prucha is not dead........haha......I understand some Ranger fans have given up on him but seriously it was one yr in which he did'tn get the minutes that Shanny took, he did'nt get the PP time he needs AND he got hurt

this kid will be a top 6 and Dubinsky will stick to PP time and Centring a solid kid line with Fritsche and Callahan

I like Sjostrom to be the guy who get bumped up if someone falters and after that it's Betts at C with Voros or Orr in (not both please) and Rissmiller

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 12:05 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Top six:
Dawes - Dury - Zherdev

i just don't think we should jeopardize dubinsky's chances of becoming a top centerman for the team. look at a lot of the other top/superstar centers in the league. most of them are on the large size, and i don't think that's a coincidence. small guys can be awesome, but in many ways bigger guys have a distinct advantage. i'm not saying dubi is or isn't gonna become a superstar, but i'm saying he has the potential to be a VERY VERY good center who can wreak havoc with his size and be put on lines with smaller, sniper-type wingers because he's able to attract defenders with his big frame.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 02:35 PM
NYR Viper

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

that link has sam(i believe) saying renney wanted to use sjostrom in a bigger role last year but didnt want to rush him on a new team and in a new system.......he expects to see him on the third line at least and thinks his game has BIG upside

Old
07-29-2008, 02:46 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
a trade

naslund-gomez-drury
dawes-dubinsky-zherdev
callahan-fritsche-sjostrom
voros-betts-rissmiller/orr
I wouldnt be opposed to those lines, and i like your reasoning behind them. I would hate to put Drury on the wing, but if they cant get another legit top winger that could work. It balanced and thats important.

The fact that Prucha isn't visible in those lines doesn't concern me, but this is what I want from Renney - tell the kid if hes going to play, and if he is ride him with top minutes to gain his confidence. If hes going to play third line minutes or sub in and out of the lineup, you might as well send him packing. Its all or nothing with this kid, and your lines demonstrate what the lineup would look like without him and to be honest its not bad.

It will be interesting if Renney and Sather have a true plan as to what kind of personnel they want here, because if they do we should see some more movement. If not, theyll be a lot of patch and play with the roster and they'll make the reasoning that having depth like this is good. It is, but IMO it wont work with a player like Prucha, who needs to be ON to be effective player. He was used as a depth player last year and it wasnt that effective.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 02:51 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
It is, but IMO it wont work with a player like Prucha, who needs to be ON to be effective player. He was used as a depth player last year and it wasnt that effective.
i agree. i think that prucha should be tested on the top 2 lines right off the bat. also, frankly, i'm a little confused as to people putting dawes in the top 6 ahead of prucha, a 30 and 22 goal scorer who's shown that, given ice time, he can be extremely effective. that first season he didn't even play the 82 games. he was on pace for something around a 36, 37 goal season. give the kid PP time, put him on the top 2 lines, and let him play.

we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I wouldnt be opposed to those lines, and i like your reasoning behind them. I would hate to put Drury on the wing, but if they cant get another legit top winger that could work. It balanced and thats important.

The fact that Prucha isn't visible in those lines doesn't concern me, but this is what I want from Renney - tell the kid if hes going to play, and if he is ride him with top minutes to gain his confidence. If hes going to play third line minutes or sub in and out of the lineup, you might as well send him packing. Its all or nothing with this kid, and your lines demonstrate what the lineup would look like without him and to be honest its not bad.

It will be interesting if Renney and Sather have a true plan as to what kind of personnel they want here, because if they do we should see some more movement. If not, theyll be a lot of patch and play with the roster and they'll make the reasoning that having depth like this is good. It is, but IMO it wont work with a player like Prucha, who needs to be ON to be effective player. He was used as a depth player last year and it wasnt that effective.
Oh Crap the Pre-season will tell alot

In all seriousness I love the depth.........we can debate like mad on who should play where

What I do know is Gomez, Drury, Zherdev, Naslund ,Dubinsky, Dawes are the top 6 forwards on the team.........and yep that is 3 Centres so there has to be another forward that steps up as I don't think they will move any of them to the Wing as of right now...............I say it's Prucha but others don't like the kid anymore

And they could also pull off a deal before the season starts where some depth forwards are moved for a top 6 winger...........for example Prucha, Orr and Moore can net a good player to a team that needs more depth upfront

I think Fritsche and Callahan deserve 3rd line wing spots with Dubinsky.............BUT I agree Sjostrom has great talent and could steal one of those spots

There is actually a possibility they run 4 lines consistantly.............if they do that I can see this

Dawes, Gomez, Naslund
Prucha, Drury, Zherdev
Fritsche, Dubinsky, Sjostrom
Rissmiller/Voros/Orr, Betts, Callahan

With this allignment Prucha gets the PP minutes he needs and the 4th line of Betts and Callahan are also the 1st or 2nd PK pairings........so they all get their ice time in roles they excell in

Just some thoughts

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 02:58 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

couple things.

assuming no top 6 wing is coming before start of season, who are our top 6 forwards on the team right now based upon career numbers, offensive upside and overall talent, in order.

drury
gomez
naslund
zherdev
dubinski
dawes

anyone disagree that those are our top 6 right now.

yes, prucha is close but that is more a measure of dubi and dawes being almost rookies as much as anything else- certaily not that hes any better than those two. point being, not sure prucha belongs in the top 6 at all and certainly freddie doesnt. prucha although game, just doesnt excite me as a top 6 guy. he just doesnt do anyone thing that well. dawes has better hands than pru. better shot than pru and is a better passer. period. look at dawes career stats, goal scorer at every level. dare i say- sniper?

so my conclusion is the lines would look like this to start.

gomez with naslund and drury

dubi with dawes and zherdev

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

wow no love for petr puck

Naslund-Drury-Zherdev
Dawes-Gomez-Prucha
Fritsche-Dubi-Cally/Sjostrom