HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers logo?

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2004, 01:57 PM
creative giant*

vCash: 500
Flyers logo?

Hey guys and girls. Ever since I was a kid I have never been sure what the flyers logo was supposed to be. I have always thought it was a newspaper flyer, rolled up, but everyone I talk to denies that (of course without knowing themselves what it is). Does anyone here know what it is supposed to be?

Old
06-13-2004, 02:19 PM
FlyersFan

i think its a 'flying P'. thats what i get out of it.

Old
06-13-2004, 02:19 PM
King Fish

I think it's the letter P for Philadelphia. A Flyer is a type of train.

Old
06-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Overtime

It is definately a Flying P.

I never heard any reference to a train. I don't think that applies. "Flyers" is because they "fly" on the ice, and the "F" sound repeats the "F" sound in Philadelphia.

Old
06-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Mongoose

Send a message via AIM to Mongoose
They explained it on Coatesy's corner once.

I could be very wrong but i think they were trying to come up with it and the very first owner of the team was with his wife. And his husband was like, "well, we have the philadelphia eagles, and the philadelphia phillies in the city." Well the old Phillies logo was a old fashioned P, and the Eagles have wings, so the wife just doodled on a napkin a picture of a P with with a wing. I think it was something like this but like i said i could be very wrong...

Last edited by Mongoose: 06-13-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Old
06-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose

I could be very wrong but i think they were trying to come up with it and the very first owner of the team was with his wife. And his husband was like well, we have the philadelphia eagles, the philadelphia phillies, and the philadelphia 76ers. Well the old Phillies logo was a old fashioned P, and the Eagles have wings, so the wife just doodled on a napkin a picture of a P with with a wing. I think it was something like this but like i said i could be very wrong...
Something like that. You can read about it in Full Spectrum.

Old
06-13-2004, 04:38 PM
flyerchick12

I thought there was a contest, design a logo. I think a little kid came up with it. I'm not sure I could be wrong

Old
06-13-2004, 05:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 840
Quote:

I could be very wrong but i think they were trying to come up with it and the very first owner of the team was with his wife. And his husband was like well, we have the philadelphia eagles, the philadelphia phillies, and the philadelphia 76ers. Well the old Phillies logo was a old fashioned P, and the Eagles have wings, so the wife just doodled on a napkin a picture of a P with with a wing. I think it was something like this but like i said i could be very wrong...
This is the most popular answer to the question, but I'm pretty sure the Sixers weren't around until 67-68.

Old
06-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Mongoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby3636
That was the whole point to spell it wrong

OF COURSE YOU MEANT TO SPELL IT WRONG!
WHAT WAS I THINKING!! HOW DUMB OF ME!

Last edited by Flyers26: 06-13-2004 at 08:53 PM. Reason: baiting the flyer fans.
Old
06-13-2004, 07:53 PM
creative giant*

Quote:

I could be very wrong but i think they were trying to come up with it and the very first owner of the team was with his wife. And his husband was like, "well, we have the philadelphia eagles, and the philadelphia phillies in the city." Well the old Phillies logo was a old fashioned P, and the Eagles have wings, so the wife just doodled on a napkin a picture of a P with with a wing. I think it was something like this but like i said i could be very wrong...
that makes sense. its always been one of my favs....so simple-without all the mess of the new logos today. thx

Old
06-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Mongoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
that makes sense. its always been one of my favs....so simple-without all the mess of the new logos today. thx
yeh sure

Old
06-13-2004, 09:35 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2642
Here is the derivation of the Flyers' name/logo as mentioned in "Full Spectrum," Jay Greenberg's book:

A group of the original investors of the new Philadelphia hockey team were dining after a Broadway show and Ed Snider's sister Phyllis responded "Flyers" when the subject of a name for the new hockey team arose. At the same time a Name-the-Team Contest was being held and the new name was made public on August 3, 1966. Alec Stockard, a 9-year old boy from Narberth, won the contest even though he spelled it "Fliers." Obviously, Phyllis was prevented from winning the contest .

The logo and uniform designs were commissioned to an area designing firm. The artist, Sam Ciccone, drew four wings on (as Greenberg describes it) "a stylized P to make it fly and an orange dot inside the P to represent a hockey puck." This was one of several that were designed by Ciccone and Snider's group chose what we see today. Ciccone also selected the colors.

Closed Thread