HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston Bruins making a deal...

Old
07-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

vCash: 500
Boston Bruins making a deal...

What do you guys think the chances are of the Bruins making a deal before the start of the season? They have a pretty solid team, but scoring goals may still be an issue even with the addition of Ryder, unless Kessel steps up like he did in the playoffs and puts up 25-35 like he is capable of doing.

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 582
I'm assuming the return of Bergeron will help somewhat.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 12:30 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 410
Ryder's a good 30 goal guy, Lucic really came out strong, Kessel will be good, and with Bergeron back it shouldn't be too bad.

I think if they just did what they did last year, they'll make the playoffs again.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 08:50 AM
flannelman
trite pretentiousnes

vCash: 50
Bruins issue (to me) to many players who can play bottom 6 roles as well as bottom pairing defenseman - they have youth, which is good for those positions but some players that might not be horribly necessary at this time - though with the buyout of Muzz now completed, they are just under the Cap; I'm sure they'll want more cap flexibility.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 08:57 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf8188 View Post
What do you guys think the chances are of the Bruins making a deal before the start of the season? They have a pretty solid team, but scoring goals may still be an issue even with the addition of Ryder, unless Kessel steps up like he did in the playoffs and puts up 25-35 like he is capable of doing.
You think?

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 09:22 AM
8thRoundPick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
You think?
Quality insight right there.

Anyways, to answer the OP's question, I personally think there will be another move. But the only move they will or should be making is to clear some space on the roster. The Bruins have too many bodies looking for roster spots.

Forwards:
LW: Soderberg, Sturm, Lucic, Schaefer, Axelsson, Reich
C: Savard, Bergeron, Krejci, Sobotka, Nokelainen
RW: Ryder, Kobasew, Kessel, Thornton

Of the 15 forwards mentioned above, there are only 13 roster spots available. Holding back Soderberg just to play Reich would be a poor choice, so I would have to assume Reich is going to be sent down through waivers.

If Reich is sent down and both Schaefer and Axe are dealt, this would work out ideally IMO. Will it happen? HIGHLY doubt it.

8thRoundPick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 09:29 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

unless they can dump one of shaeffer or axelsson, i think they're done. Murray gone brings them under the cap, no?

They are gonna be average up front (goals) and average in the back (goals against). If they play well as a team and score goals at the right time, they should make the playoffs.

Bruins fans should hope for good coaching from julien and solid seasons from kessel and ryder (25g each), and savard and bergeron playing great (80+pts each).

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 09:38 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
unless they can dump one of shaeffer or axelsson, i think they're done. Murray gone brings them under the cap, no?

They are gonna be average up front (goals) and average in the back (goals against). If they play well as a team and score goals at the right time, they should make the playoffs.

Bruins fans should hope for good coaching from julien and solid seasons from kessel and ryder (25g each), and savard and bergeron playing great (80+pts each).
Why would they dump their veteran defensive forward in his contract year?

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
They won't ... PJ stays

Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 02:33 PM
bb_fan

option #1: i'd look for Chia to try and upgrade over Ferrence or Alberts (and bring Lashoff up full time this season). Not a big splash at all, but i think our bottom pairing D can be upgraded at the expense of players who have no future here (Schaefer (sp) hopefully?) and a mid ranked prospect maybe? (i'd love to see something better than Hnidy, Ferrence or Alberts)

OPtion #2: Go for the bigger splash on D and trade Krejci plus for a D man that can play on the second pairing very well and fit into the first pairing as well.

Or option #3: get rid of some of the extra bodies for draft picks.

not much they can do with the cap unless they unload some bodies and deal either Kessel, Krejci or Hamill (depending on how high they are on Wheeler and Soderberg its a possibility)

bb_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 03:31 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
The Bruins top priority is to land a top-4 puckmoving defenseman. BB_fan outlined some of Chiarelli's options here. Unloading someone like Schaefer is secondary.

Given the B's are about $1.5M from the cap, to make any deal, they'll need to move salary if they are to bring in anyone anyone of consequence.

I don't see Chiarelli adding more scoring help, not when there's a need for skill, speed and finesse on the backline. As Modo said the B's have Bergeron coming back. Plus, a potentially renewed Ryder combined with improved secondary scoring via continued development from Krejci, Kessel and Lucic should give the B's a more balanced attack.

MeisterBruinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I'm assuming the return of Bergeron will help somewhat.
The late season emergence of David Krejci flew under manys radar, I think he and the return of Bergeron will help in huge ways for this Bruins hockey club this season. Ryder...not so sure lol

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 03:59 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker View Post
The Bruins top priority is to land a top-4 puckmoving defenseman. BB_fan outlined some of Chiarelli's options here. Unloading someone like Schaefer is secondary.

Given the B's are about $1.5M from the cap, to make any deal, they'll need to move salary if they are to bring in anyone anyone of consequence.

I don't see Chiarelli adding more scoring help, not when there's a need for skill, speed and finesse on the backline. As Modo said the B's have Bergeron coming back. Plus, a potentially renewed Ryder combined with improved secondary scoring via continued development from Krejci, Kessel and Lucic should give the B's a more balanced attack.
I think moving someone like Schaefer is key though, even if the return is pretty much nothing. Just for the mere fact that they are only about 1.5 mill from the cap, and the log jam of forwards that could be filling his role at the moment.

I think they need to open a couple of slots up at forward for the kids and create some more cap room, especially if they can acquire any type of impact defensemen via trade. (witch would hopefully make any two of Ferrence, Hnidy or Alberts pretty much expendable)

Old
07-28-2008, 04:33 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

My take is that the Bruins have an offense that should be quite deep and could even be surprisingly potent based on the continued development of Kessel, Krejci, Lucic and even Nokelainen and Sobotka in the bottom six.

A return to form for proven producers such as Bergeron, Ryder, and Manny Fernandez would do wonders for the Bruins goal differential. It's not far fetched to say that 2 of the 3 can return to that form.

Beyond all that, I think they lack only a solid 2-way, minute eating defenseman--a Mattias Ohlund-type--that would anchor the corps with Chara.

Without the added defenseman the Bruins remain a darkhorse. With another top three defenseman I believe they can challenge for the east.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 05:10 PM
yohan1212

I actually think they are set and if do anything it will just dump a player or two for picks.

sturm - savard - ryder
- bergeron - kobasew
lucic - Krejci - Kessel
sobatka -Nokelainen - thornton

that looks pretty good to me..the only questiong i see is who is gonna play 2nd line LW. probably between soderberg, Axe.. id dump reich and shaefer for picks. there are still a couple who will be challenging for a job (wheeler, thompson)

Chara
wideman
stuart
ward
ference
Lashoff
Hnidy

thats what i would like the D to look like. I dont see any big moves anywheres unless it is to dump a player or two.

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 06:00 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
as someone who as seen a lot of both of them, i can confidently say they are on the decline and fairly overpaid. The roster spots are better spent on someone else.

Old
07-28-2008, 09:44 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
as someone who as seen a lot of both of them, i can confidently say they are on the decline and fairly overpaid. The roster spots are better spent on someone else.
who are you talking about?

Old
07-28-2008, 10:06 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
who are you talking about?
it applies to both shaeffer and axe, though schaeffer is clearly the worse of the two and has a higher salary for one extra year.

Old
07-28-2008, 11:44 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
it applies to both shaeffer and axe, though schaeffer is clearly the worse of the two and has a higher salary for one extra year.
i'd totally disagree on Axellson and wonder what you have watched to determine that he is 'clearly on the decline' and over payed?

Old
07-29-2008, 01:12 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
i'd totally disagree on Axellson and wonder what you have watched to determine that he is 'clearly on the decline' and over payed?
What he said.

MeisterBruinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 11:02 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

I wouldn't say that Axelsson is "on the decline" but I would say that a younger player could come in and do a comprable job for less money. Perhaps the younger player might not be as good defensively, but presumably they might be able to chip in more offensively.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 11:27 AM
sarge88

Quote:
If they do it is simply because they want clear cap space even further (they are only 1 million or so under right now, I believe) coupled with the fact that Nokelainen & Sobotka are younger/cheaper versions of Axe. (of have the potential to be, relatively soon)

My guess is that if Soderberg comes to camp and plays well enough in all zones to get a spot, further adding to the dept up front, they may try to move Axe during camp.

They'd probably much rather move Schaeffer but Axe's contract and resulting value makes him the most marketable.

sarge88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
A return to form for proven producers such as Bergeron, Ryder, and Manny Fernandez would do wonders for the Bruins goal differential. It's not far fetched to say that 2 of the 3 can return to that form.
Didn't Thomas have a pretty solid season last year? And I think Auld filled in pretty well for a stretch for the Bruins. Not sure whether Fernandez will make a significant positive impact of the Bruins goaltending last season. Course, I'll admit I didn't watch the Bruins as much as you did last season.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 12:26 PM
flannelman
trite pretentiousnes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Didn't Thomas have a pretty solid season last year? And I think Auld filled in pretty well for a stretch for the Bruins. Not sure whether Fernandez will make a significant positive impact of the Bruins goaltending last season. Course, I'll admit I didn't watch the Bruins as much as you did last season.
Well - you're pretty much spot on - but some suggest that Manny's superior positional skills (if he's healthy) would have thrived better playing tandem with Thomas than the team had done last year.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 12:28 PM
melubsdonna

title is misleading.

melubsdonna is offline   Reply With Quote