HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top Six forwards. who's number 7

Old
07-27-2008, 08:43 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

vCash: 500
Top Six forwards. who's number 7

Kovalev.
Plekanec.
Kostitsyn.
Kostitsyn.
Tanguay.
Higgins.
Koivu.

These are our top 7 forwards. I'm wondering which of these players will be on our third line. Plekanec and Koivu are our top 2 centers that's a given. leaving Kovalev, Higgins, Tanguay, Kostitsyn and Kostitsyn as Wingers.

I'm thinking.

C
Plekanec
Koivu

LW
Tanguay
Higgins

RW
Kovalev
Andrei Kostitisyn

you can't have Higgins and Koivu on different lines as Higgins proved he can't perform without our captain and i think Andrei is too good to be a third liner. Andrei is a natural RW anyways so that works out which sadly leaves Sergei as a really good third line RW but my issue with that is Latendresse, can he play LW so that it looks like. EDIT: its has been brought to my attention that Sergei is a natural LW so I've changed.

Tanguay Plekanec Kovalev
Higgins Koivu AKost
SKost Chipper Lats
Kosto Laps Laraque

Thoughts? and Revisions? I know this gets done in every thread but... u know... long off-season

Last edited by RoyBoyCoy: 07-27-2008 at 08:50 PM.
RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 08:44 PM
TheAntiprice*

Lats

TheAntiprice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 08:45 PM
redmachine54

I think Sergei'll get the third line spot. My own wanted line-ups are in line with yours, with Sergei on the left and Lats on the right. I'd love to see Andrei lead a line.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 08:46 PM
n0pan
ez

Send a message via Skype™ to n0pan
SKost - Plekanec - AKost
Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev
Higgins - Chipchura - Latendresse
Kostopoulos - Lapierre - Laraque

This way we bring SKost and AKost back to their natural positions.

n0pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 08:48 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirokarosu View Post
SKost - Plekanec - AKost
Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev
Higgins - Chipchura - Latendresse
Kostopoulos - Lapierre - Laraque

This way we bring SKost and AKost back to their natural positions.
Higgins on another line than Koivu is bad news. could start like this but when Higgins isnt producing Guy will do something about that

Old
07-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Beakermania*

Higgins can perform without Koivu.... Higgins and Plekanec have great chemistry. Do we forget the CAT line?? or numerous times they have played together before last season.

Anyways, there is no real top 6 with this team as we will be going three offensive lines... the top 6 will not necessarily be all on lines 1-2... Carbo may put some good players on the third line in an effort to balance the lines....

I like

Higgins - Pleks - Kovalev
Tanguay - Koivu/Sundin (if signed) - AKost
Latendresse - Koivu/Chips/Lapierre - Sergei.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 08:52 PM
sg58

But what if Sundin signs?

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 08:54 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Higgins can perform without Koivu.... Higgins and Plekanec have great chemistry. Do we forget the CAT line?? or numerous times they have played together before last season.

Anyways, there is no real top 6 with this team as we will be going three offensive lines... the top 6 will not necessarily be all on lines 1-2... Carbo may put some good players on the third line in an effort to balance the lines....

I like

with Sundin:

Tanguay Sundin Kovalev
Sergei Pleks Andrei
Higgins Koivu Lats
Kosto Chip Laraque

this means sergei gets to play on the 2nd line with Pleks and his bro which was a line i really liked last year. and keeps Higs and the Captain together

Old
07-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

With Sundin we have a third line that could have been our first last year had Kovalev not step up.

Think about that. Sca-ree.

Phil Parent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 09:11 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

I like

We don't really have 3 offensive lines if Sundin doesn't sign...

Lats isn't ready yet, imo, to get 50pts on his own (meaning without both Sundin and Kovalev) and Chipchura or Lapierre aren't offensive players...

It leaves Higgins or SKost being the only sure 50 pointers on a 3rd line...

I'd like Gainey to get a very good defensive forward to play with Higgins on the 3rd line to have a real shutdown line if Sundin doesn't come here.

I just don't see how people can assume that a SKost/Higgins-Chipchura-Lats is a dangerous offensive line, Sergei and Lats have great potential, but they're still only 21yo while Higgins is a more defensive forward when not playing with a great playmaker like Koivu... It's a solid 3rd line, but far from a 1st line... it would be different, though, if Pleks was on that line...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 09:41 PM
bentheprop

Higgins should be on the 3rd line. He simply doesn't have the offensive ability of Tanguay or Kovy and he doesn't have the offensive upside of the Kostitsyns. Ideally he should be on the 3rd line providing solid 2-way play with a nice offensive spark.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Jakomyte

Tanguay-Koivu-Andrei
Latendresse-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Chipchura-Sergei
Begin/Kostopolous-Lapierre-Laraque

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 10:10 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Higins is the 7th... Dued to his offensive potential, which is way under the others.

His defensive abilities makes him a great 3rd liner, but he is in no way a more offensive player than the other 6.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 10:22 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
With Sundin we have a third line that could have been our first last year had Kovalev not step up.

Think about that. Sca-ree.
I agree.

We have seven top forwards now, but bringing Sundin in gives us nine, because Lats could probably step it up plyaing with Mats.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Poochie_D

Higgins is the 7th.

Koivu
Kovalev
Plekanec
A. Kostitsyn
S. Kostitsyn
Tanguay

are ahead of him offensively speaking.

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev
A.Kost. - Pleks - S.Kost.
Higgins - grinder - grinder

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 10:37 PM
newsylalonde100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev
A.Kost. - Pleks - S.Kost.
Higgins - grinder - grinder
well chipchura might be on the thrird line and he's not a grinder, lats isn't either....grinders are more for the 4th line

newsylalonde100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
Higgins should be on the 3rd line. He simply doesn't have the offensive ability of Tanguay or Kovy and he doesn't have the offensive upside of the Kostitsyns. Ideally he should be on the 3rd line providing solid 2-way play with a nice offensive spark.
Simply nonsense. Higgins is a better player than Tanguay at this point in time, I am really not sure what people have been watching over the past 2 seasons. Calgary gave AT away for a draft pick because...?

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I agree.

We have seven top forwards now, but bringing Sundin in gives us nine, because Lats could probably step it up plyaing with Mats.
I'm not sure about that. He'll have to prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostitsyn3 View Post
Higgins on another line than Koivu is bad news. could start like this but when Higgins isnt producing Guy will do something about that

Too many forwards are seen as relying on Koivu. Latendresse in particular needs him more than Higgins does. Higgins can make his own plays one-on-one. Lats can't. Some of the posts on this thread are demean Higgins, who's had 3 consecutive 20+-goal seasons, including 27 this past season. Also, in emergencies, Higgins is an all-around player who can kill penalties and who could fill in at centre if necessary. Don't even think about using Lats there.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-28-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Too many forwards are seen as relying on Koivu. Latendresse in particular needs him more than Higgins does. Higgins can make his own plays one-on-one. Lats can't. Some of the posts on this thread are demean Higgins, who's had 3 consecutive 20+-goal seasons, including 27 this past season. Also, in emergencies, Higgins is an all-around player who can kill penalties and who could fill in at centre if necessary. Don't even think about using Lats there.
I agree.

I don't believe Higgins needs Koivu at all. I believe they have some chemistry because they play a similar game offensively, but that Higgins would see just as much--if not more--success with Plekanec, whom he had even greater chemistry with historically.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 11:21 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Simply nonsense. Higgins is a better player than Tanguay at this point in time, I am really not sure what people have been watching over the past 2 seasons. Calgary gave AT away for a draft pick because...?
Tanguay got 81 points last year...

Last year he struggled because he was playing under a Mike Keenan system and he was stuck playing with old slugs like Owen Nolan and Craig Conroy.

I love Higgins but he really is not that close to as skilled offensively as Tanguay. Tanguay will easily score 70 points this year being back in an offensive system playing with skilled players and also it being a contract year I won't be surprised if he gets over 80.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 12:49 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post

HAHAHAHAHA! You must be kidding right? You're comparing a guy who would have won the scorer championship had he not injured back in 2004 to a guy who struggled to score 50 points while playing for the best offensive team in the league?!

Tanguay is twice, see three times the player Higgins will ever be. You're comparing a player with an extraodrinary talent and an extraordinary vision on the ice with a third line forechecker with "some" offensive talents, but who can't pass to save his life or beat a goalie one on one at least 1 time in 20 occasions.

Tanguay has proved he is one of the best players in the league when he's on his game. Put in the right system with the right guys, this guy is even better than Kovalev when Kovy is on his game. Not as spectacular, but damn more clever with the puck. Calgary gave him for cap purposes, so they could re-sign Langkow and get a replacement for Huselius (Bertuzzi). Reasoning like you do, I suppose Cammaleri is an ordinary player, and that Jokinen is an ordinary player as well?

Wow... I will have heard everything. And to the others : This is because of this type of post that I ended up not loving Higgins. When a player is THAT MUCH overhyped, it's becoming so much of a nonsense that it's just frustrating and irritating.

Old
07-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Pr3Va1L

But don't you think Higgins would KILL those 3rd/4th lines he'd be facing?

He's surely better offensively than most 3rd liners..

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 01:27 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
But don't you think Higgins would KILL those 3rd/4th lines he'd be facing?

He's surely better offensively than most 3rd liners..
Yes... of course. He'd be one of the best 3rd liners in the NHL, if not the best. But he lacks of offensive skills and he lacks of pure talent. It would be all right if he was bigger/more physical, but he is not, so he can't be a power-forward "ala" Ryan Smyth either... So it's, IMO, the best option to put someone who has better upsides on the top-6.

And as a third liner, he would get a lot of icetime playing agaisnt the best line of the opponent.

Old
07-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Spectaculard
Trout109HR330RBI407R

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
HAHAHAHAHA! You must be kidding right? You're comparing a guy who would have won the scorer championship had he not injured back in 2004 to a guy who struggled to score 50 points while playing for the best offensive team in the league?!

Tanguay is twice, see three times the player Higgins will ever be. You're comparing a player with an extraodrinary talent and an extraordinary vision on the ice with a third line forechecker with "some" offensive talents, but who can't pass to save his life or beat a goalie one on one at least 1 time in 20 occasions.

Tanguay has proved he is one of the best players in the league when he's on his game. Put in the right system with the right guys, this guy is even better than Kovalev when Kovy is on his game. Not as spectacular, but damn more clever with the puck. Calgary gave him for cap purposes, so they could re-sign Langkow and get a replacement for Huselius (Bertuzzi). Reasoning like you do, I suppose Cammaleri is an ordinary player, and that Jokinen is an ordinary player as well?

Wow... I will have heard everything. And to the others : This is because of this type of post that I ended up not loving Higgins. When a player is THAT MUCH overhyped, it's becoming so much of a nonsense that it's just frustrating and irritating.
Funny, cause thats exactly what you're doing with Tanguay.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote