HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hannes Hyvönen forced to turn down NYR offer

Old
07-27-2008, 03:46 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Hannes Hyvönen forced to turn down NYR offer

This is half old news, from 23rd July, but Hyvönen was offered a deal from the Rangers in June and signed the deal -- he had a "out clasule" from the SEL untill the 15th june.

But apparantly the Rangers couldn't officially sign Hyvönen before 1st July -- so Hyvönens swedish team Södertälje disputed the contract and now Hyvönen have accepted Södertäljes dispute and can't come over.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle2960230.ab

Hyvönen is a 32 y/o finnish sniper; who especially excells in a QB role.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 03:50 AM
Ola

Its interesting IMO because I think it shows how "uncertain" things were in rangerland in mid-june.

Hyvönen would cleary be a insurance signing incase we completly were shutout in the freeagent market.

Old
07-27-2008, 03:51 AM
Garl

Good for Sodertalje-They still have very good player by SEL standarts.
Good for Rangers-They didn't waste money on a player who wouldn't have impact(he was in NHL before).
Good for Hyvonen-He doesn't need to spend a year in AHL when he is already 33 y.o.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 04:04 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Good for Sodertalje-They still have very good player by SEL standarts.
Good for Rangers-They didn't waste money on a player who wouldn't have impact(he was in NHL before).
Good for Hyvonen-He doesn't need to spend a year in AHL when he is already 33 y.o.
Amen

Old
07-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Looking at his numbers he just had a breakout year, so I wonder if this could have been a steal.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 08:58 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Looking at his numbers he just had a breakout year, so I wonder if this could have been a steal.
one of those jiri dopita type players, im glad we did get him . rather go after guys that are 22-27 from europe. not 32.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
one of those jiri dopita type players, im glad we did get him . rather go after guys that are 22-27 from europe. not 32.
Well, you should try to pick up better comparison than Dopita.
Dopita was the best Europe power-forward for atleast five years...and he won lot of trophies, 1998 Olympic gold medal included.
And his one year with Philly was not bad at all.
Obviously you know nothing about the guy, what is the reason you are bashing him?
You think it is amusing Jorts? Try to switch to Brendl or some other obvious bust...

About Hannes, dunno much about the guy - is Streit good comparison?
It would be interesting to see who would be the odd man out on defense if Hyvonen was signed...Rozsival?Kalinin?

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 09:17 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Dopita was the best Europe power-forward for atleast five years...and he won lot of trophies, 1998 Olympic gold medal included.
Obviously you know nothing about the guy, what is the reason you are bashing him?
You think it is amusing Jorts? Try to switch to Brendl or some other obvious bust...

It would be interesting to see who would be the odd man out on defense if Hyvonen was signed...Rozsival?Kalinin?
umm Hyvonen is a forward

Old
07-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
umm Hyvonen is a forward
UGh...my bad.
Dunno why i thought he is d-man...anyway, interesting, i doubt he would be playing for Hartford.

Old
07-27-2008, 11:26 AM
UAGoalieGuy

If the Rangers signed him he'd be the 2nd oldest Ranger I think, behind Naslund.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Ola

I actually think Pavel Brendl is a good comparision.

Hyvönen got a very good shot and is pretty strong on the skates.

But he just don't got the intensity to be a standout on the international level. But lets say we had a smaller cathastropy in NY and Näslund and Zherdev was injured both at the same time -- you could defenitly do worse then having Hyvönen on the PP. Like he is much better offensivly then a Brad Isbister.

Its 5 on 5 that he don't cut it.

Old
07-27-2008, 12:03 PM
pld459666

Quote:

Kostik,

Dopita may have been a good player in Europe, but he was horrible here in the states when looking at him in terms of the expectations when he finally made the decision to cross the pond.

I'm positive the Flyers expected more than a point every 2 games from the guy and while not producing t up to expectations, he was also soft during his 1.5 years in the NHL. If was was the best European powerforward, that's really not saying much about power forwards in general.

Dopita is as big a bust on the NHL level as you can get. If there's a bust comparison then Dopita is as good a player to use as is Brendl because neither were good here in the states.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 12:22 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:

Why is it that any time someone of Czech decent is bashed, you get up in arms about it?

The guy could be the biggest loser and the worst hockey player, but you'd find a way to defend him because he's Czech.

Face it, this isn't a nationalist convention, if a guy sucks, like Dopita did at the NHL level, then he sucks. There isn't much you can say or do to make light of it.

Stop making every ****ing thing regarding a Czech player a nationalist issue.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 12:26 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Face it, this isn't a nationalist convention, if a guy sucks, like Dopita did at the NHL level, then he sucks. There isn't much you can say or do to make light of it.
My thoughts exactly!

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 01:27 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastRangersFan View Post
My thoughts exactly!
For some reason with him, and a few other of the Czech posters, not all of them, it turns into a nationalist issue everytime a Czech player is bashed. They call people like me prejudice, and accuse me of an anti-European bias. So where's my Anti-European bias when it comes to Swedes? Or Finns? or Russians?

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
For some reason with him, and a few other of the Czech posters, not all of them, it turns into a nationalist issue everytime a Czech player is bashed. They call people like me prejudice, and accuse me of an anti-European bias. So where's my Anti-European bias when it comes to Swedes? Or Finns? or Russians?
I've noticed that most European hockey fans, specifically Swedes and Czechs have immense pride for their countrymen, sometimes it could border on homerism, but can you blame them when their best players usually bolt for the NHL if given the chance? Some don't even really cheer for an NHL team, just for all players from their country to do well.

I don't see much wrong with it when there ARE indeed many anti-europeans, but defending Dopita is questionable.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 01:54 PM
bmoak

I just love the guy's name.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 01:59 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
I've noticed that most European hockey fans, specifically Swedes and Czechs have immense pride for their countrymen, sometimes it could border on homerism, but can you blame them when their best players usually bolt for the NHL if given the chance? Some don't even really cheer for an NHL team, just for all players from their country to do well.

I don't see much wrong with it when there ARE indeed many anti-europeans, but defending Dopita is questionable.
you can't blame Euros...especially when some of their countrymen are the best players in the world.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Ola

Dopita is the Czech version of Mark Messier basically -- who have accomplished more in his hockeycareer then many many others. Beeing one of the most prominant Czech players on their nationalteam when they won best of the best Olympics and like 5 WCH's. Beeing the hero a couple of times.

Its not strange that a Czech guy defends him. Then it wasn't a good idea by Dopita to go over to the NHL when he was like 34 y/o; with allot of expectations on him and in the worst trapping era.

Besides, he played mostly on a 3rd line and scored 40 pts et c. It was not like he was a disaster in any way.

Old
07-27-2008, 05:57 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I heard this guy Hyvonen has a cannon for a shot but that's about all I know about him.

Probably better that he stays in Europe anyway rather than come to a team without a spot for him (most likely).

Also, Dopita couldn't be any further from the Czech version of Mark Messier. Dopita has much more hair.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2008, 07:04 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I heard this guy Hyvonen has a cannon for a shot but that's about all I know about him.

Probably better that he stays in Europe anyway rather than come to a team without a spot for him (most likely).

Also, Dopita couldn't be any further from the Czech version of Mark Messier. Dopita has much more hair.

for a quick second i thought that was kasper. i wonder if a team lacking depth would give him a chance. i always thought if it was not for kasper's contract, hed still be in the NHL.

Old
07-27-2008, 07:54 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Dopita is the Czech version of Mark Messier basically -- who have accomplished more in his hockeycareer then many many others. Beeing one of the most prominant Czech players on their nationalteam when they won best of the best Olympics and like 5 WCH's. Beeing the hero a couple of times.

Its not strange that a Czech guy defends him. Then it wasn't a good idea by Dopita to go over to the NHL when he was like 34 y/o; with allot of expectations on him and in the worst trapping era.

Besides, he played mostly on a 3rd line and scored 40 pts et c. It was not like he was a disaster in any way.
His 33 points were scored in 73 games over two seasons

He was a marginal 3rd liner here.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Why is it that any time someone of Czech decent is bashed, you get up in arms about it?

The guy could be the biggest loser and the worst hockey player, but you'd find a way to defend him because he's Czech.

Stop making every ****ing thing regarding a Czech player a nationalist issue.
Big meh...the fact why i'm posting about Czech players has only one reason - that i know something about them, something most of the posters don't have clue about.
You are the only one who is screaming and kicking about nationalities and such, and it's getting really annoying Like i wrote you last time, i'm not playing this game, and don't care about that much...
By your logic i should leave these forums because most of the Czechs are gone, but guess what...i'm still posting here
Did you even read my original post? I used Brendl as better comparison, and guess where is he coming from? That was rhetoric question, you don't need to answer that

Old
07-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Kostik,

Dopita may have been a good player in Europe, but he was horrible here in the states when looking at him in terms of the expectations when he finally made the decision to cross the pond.

I'm positive the Flyers expected more than a point every 2 games from the guy and while not producing t up to expectations, he was also soft during his 1.5 years in the NHL. If was was the best European powerforward, that's really not saying much about power forwards in general.

Dopita is as big a bust on the NHL level as you can get. If there's a bust comparison then Dopita is as good a player to use as is Brendl because neither were good here in the states.
Imo Dopita is not good comparison, maybe he hasn't produced as was expected, but stil he was able to put up 0,5ppg in trap era. He was rumored to be best European coming to NHL, maybe expectations were too high...but i think he was far from bust as Brendl, Daigle, Stefan and others...

Whoops...way too offtopic, but it seems this thread is done anyway ;-)