HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

the Avs in 08/09... line projections, expectations... etc

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-28-2008, 02:17 AM
  #26
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 30,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
Yes, Williams does have a big shot from the point.
With which apparently he killed JonRx's mom.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 03:12 AM
  #27
El_Loco_Avs
Registered User
 
El_Loco_Avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 7,906
vCash: 500
Doesn't Salei have a nice point-shot? or am I confused?

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 03:53 AM
  #28
Aerolanche
Registered User
 
Aerolanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs View Post
Doesn't Salei have a nice point-shot? or am I confused?
True. Salei's shot is quite good come to think of it, but I wouldn't necessarily label him a powerplay quarterback.

__________________

http://www.aspechockey.com
Avalanche SPECulation, prospects and news.
Aerolanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 07:50 AM
  #29
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
ABasin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerolanche View Post
Yeah, that was my impression of him as well. Its a great thing to have, but the Avs have so many like that: Liles, Clark, Cumiskey; and for the future, Shattenkirk and even Cohen will also fit this mold, most likely... Offensive without the boomer slapper.
I believe that I recently read an article stating that Cohen does have a good point shot.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 09:08 AM
  #30
Stories
Hockey scientist
 
Stories's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 6,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerolanche View Post
Yeah, that was my impression of him as well. Its a great thing to have, but the Avs have so many like that: Liles, Clark, Cumiskey; and for the future, Shattenkirk and even Cohen will also fit this mold, most likely... Offensive without the boomer slapper.

Nigel Williams may have a spot on the powerplay if he can provide a big shot from the point. I haven't really seen him play that much other than the Mem Cup, does anyone know if Williams possesses that type of shot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
I believe that I recently read an article stating that Cohen does have a good point shot.

-AB
Cohen has a bomb of a shot, but rarely gets to use it because he was on the 2nd PP last year, and the PP scored mostly (I bet this sounds familiar) from cycling behind the net. Shattenkirk also has a surprisingly decent slap shot from the point.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 10:49 AM
  #31
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 30,110
vCash: 500
One thing to bank on: a zillion "We'll pry away Stastny with and offer sheet" posts until he gets an extension.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:06 AM
  #32
crucifux
 
crucifux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
One thing to bank on: a zillion "We'll pry away Stastny with and offer sheet" posts until he gets an extension.
whoa, that has to be the most perverted emoticon i've seen

crucifux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 12:30 PM
  #33
chewey
dmitri
 
chewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near You!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
1. What are your projected lines and defense pairings?

Wolski – Sakic – Svatos
Smyth – Stastny - Hejduk
Jones – Arnason – Tucker
Ledin – Guite – Laperriere


Clark – Salei
Hannan – Liles
Foote – Leo

Budaj
Raycroft

Quote:
2. where do you expect the Avs to finish in the division and in the conference?
Honestly in this division you never know. A single game can take you from 4th place to 1st place at some parts of the season. But due to the new schedule where we see our rivals even less it doesn’t work in any one’s favor. Last year I liked the fact that when we won against a foe not only did we get the points but we kept them at the bottom of the standings but next year we will have to depend on other teams to do that for us. The Avs have a decent record against our rivals so the schedule could work for or against us.

But all being said and done, I say 2nd – 3rd place. Each team looks like they can be a potential no. 1 but I can really see Oilers and Flames doing a lot better and IF the Nucks get Sundin they will also be a difficult team. I am not scared about the Wild as much. They lost 2 of their top 4 players, yet did improve their D by adding Marek Zidlicky. I do know that they added Andrew Brunette but his playing style complements Joe Sakic's and when Joe was out Brunette was only paced for 50 points. I don't what success he will have with the Wild but I doubt he can fill the offensive void.

If lucky - 3rd
Most likely - 6th - 8th
Worst - 10th

Quote:
3. what are your thoughts on your group of forwards?
We have quite a talent group on paper.

Our top 6 forwards - Sakic [assuming he returns, which I believe he will], Svatos Smyth, Wolski, Stastny, Duke - are all capable of getting 50 points minimum.

Last year our 3rd line without doubt was our weakest line, but adding Tucker adds grit and offensive talent. He can skate, hit, and trash talk better than Bruno and more suited for the 3rd line role. All being said and done our 3rd line can potentially manage 30 or so points.

So, going forward I would expect us to be one of the high scoring teams, we came 5th in the West and 2nd overall in our division and assuming everything goes smooth with lesser injuries we should be able to be back in the top 5 next year again.


Quote:
4. what are your thoughts on your defense corps?
Honestly, we have great depth in our D. Though, we lack two very important things: # 1 stud D and a blast from the point. Though this shouldn't be TOO much of a problem it will hurt us down in the long run. Nevertheless, we have nearly four work horses: Clark, Salei, Hannan, and Foote all of whom can play nearly 23 minutes. We also have good offensive upside in Liles and Leopold. If the worst should happen, and someone is injured Daniel Tjarnqvist or a prospect will be able to fill the void.

Quote:
5. what are your thoughts on your goaltending?
Nothing much, above average at best, average at worst. Budaj is more consistent than Theo was and though Budaj may not be as good as Theo when he’s at his best, he isn’t as bad as Theo when he’s at his worst. Budaj will make some highlight real saves and may steal A game at most. Raycroft wasn’t a bad signing either for 800 K. Though he may not get the no. 1 position he is more experienced than any of our other prospects. Our goaltending isn’t the highlight of our team and hasn’t been since Roy’s retirement so I assume most Avs aren’t expecting anything big.

Quote:
6. what rookies do you think could make the lineup and what do you expect from them?
Honestly, we don’t have any rookies that will make the lineup. Jones/Hensik aren’t “rookies” anymore and everyone else isn’t ready for the NHL yet.
Though, if anyone does make the team and is still technically a rookie [hasn’t played a whole NHL season] I expect Jones or Hensik to make the team. Can’t say who at this point, it will depend on how camp goes. But for both of them, I expect more consistency [especially from Jones] and the ability to finish.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 02:49 PM
  #34
El_Loco_Avs
Registered User
 
El_Loco_Avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 7,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerolanche View Post
True. Salei's shot is quite good come to think of it, but I wouldn't necessarily label him a powerplay quarterback.
Making a combo with a good passing dman next to him (or a forward) could make him very useful with Smyth.

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 03:11 PM
  #35
Hennessy
Blank Space
 
Hennessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Östersund, Sweden
Country: United States
Posts: 6,864
vCash: 500
A lot of these lines omit Ledin. While it's too early to tell who will be where, keep in mind that Ledin is on a one-way. That alone doesn't guarantee that he'll stick, but it does mean he'll get minutes before others will so long as he doesn't totally fail and head back to Sweden. Think of Hlinka last season.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 03:37 PM
  #36
AvalancheWarning
Registered User
 
AvalancheWarning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: DENVER
Country: United States
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to AvalancheWarning Send a message via Yahoo to AvalancheWarning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
A lot of these lines omit Ledin. While it's too early to tell who will be where, keep in mind that Ledin is on a one-way. That alone doesn't guarantee that he'll stick, but it does mean he'll get minutes before others will so long as he doesn't totally fail and head back to Sweden. Think of Hlinka last season.
I would say that the thoughts of hlinka last season are why most think ledin wont stick. I dont doubt that he can out play Mcleod but he will have to provide noticeable grit to steal the spot.

AvalancheWarning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 03:42 PM
  #37
Horsehouse
Registered User
 
Horsehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Colorado Springs
Country: United States
Posts: 2,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Also, the Avs need improvement from almost all of their young players: Wolski, Jones, Budaj, and even Stastny.

-AB
yeesh, what more do you want him to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
One thing to bank on: a zillion "We'll pry away Stastny with and offer sheet" posts until he gets an extension.
aweshome! my new favorite emoticon

Horsehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 05:05 PM
  #38
Hennessy
Blank Space
 
Hennessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Östersund, Sweden
Country: United States
Posts: 6,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalancheWarning View Post
I would say that the thoughts of hlinka last season are why most think ledin wont stick. I dont doubt that he can out play Mcleod but he will have to provide noticeable grit to steal the spot.
Except for the fact that Hlinka, you know, stuck. Hence my mention of him.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 07:54 PM
  #39
detrude
(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
 
detrude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 3,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Loco_Avs View Post
Making a combo with a good passing dman next to him (or a forward) could make him very useful with Smyth.
I thought he and Leopold made a good pair at every strength. Salei was surprisingly good at holding the line, and his shot may never break the glass but he seemed really good at getting it through. Leopold's wrist shot is extremely deceiving, and his pinching in is as good or better than Liles'. I thought their point work was miles better than Liles and Sakic in the playoffs.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 08:50 PM
  #40
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
ABasin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehouse View Post
yeesh, what more do you want him to do?
Take the next step to an elite player.

I have no problem whatsoever with what Stastny has done. Right now though, he's not one of the 'great' players in the NHL. The Avs rather desperately need one of those, and he's the best bet they've got.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 10:46 PM
  #41
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
WarriorOfGandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Take the next step to an elite player.

I have no problem whatsoever with what Stastny has done. Right now though, he's not one of the 'great' players in the NHL. The Avs rather desperately need one of those, and he's the best bet they've got.

-AB
Before he was injured Stastny was top-10 in scoring. Granted it was on the lower side, but he's certainly "great" by any team's standards.

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:30 AM
  #42
El_Loco_Avs
Registered User
 
El_Loco_Avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 7,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
I thought he and Leopold made a good pair at every strength. Salei was surprisingly good at holding the line, and his shot may never break the glass but he seemed really good at getting it through. Leopold's wrist shot is extremely deceiving, and his pinching in is as good or better than Liles'. I thought their point work was miles better than Liles and Sakic in the playoffs.
Yep. Making them the crash-the-net PP option with the other unit playing a more puck-moving style would work I think. It would do wonders for Smyth I really think.

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 04:18 AM
  #43
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 30,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Before he was injured Stastny was top-10 in scoring. Granted it was on the lower side, but he's certainly "great" by any team's standards.
All Star selection too. Hell Stastny was so good he managed a points streak with Brad May on his wing. Stastny is so good Q didn't move him to the press box so he could start Wyatt Smith.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:54 AM
  #44
thedoctor
                    
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Take the next step to an elite player.

I have no problem whatsoever with what Stastny has done. Right now though, he's not one of the 'great' players in the NHL. The Avs rather desperately need one of those, and he's the best bet they've got.

-AB
like hasbro says, he's was top 10 in scoring prior to the injury, and I think his pace put him at 90+ points...and he's a brilliant defender....and he produces with just about any wingers. Is that not elite?

I guess you're saying you want him to be more of a game-breaker -- that I see. It's rare (if ever) that Stastny just takes over a game the way an Ovy or Crosby does. I'm not sure it's in his skill set though -- he's not blessed with their ridiculous skills, it's all his killer intangibles and hockey sense with some good skills...hence why we got him in the 2nd round.

Who knows, he might gain that ability in the future -- nothing he does would surprise me at this point. But my gut tells me he's already close to his ceiling because of his lesser raw skill set when compared to game-breakers. I still say he's already an elite player though.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 06:34 PM
  #45
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
ABasin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
like hasbro says, he's was top 10 in scoring prior to the injury, and I think his pace put him at 90+ points...and he's a brilliant defender....and he produces with just about any wingers. Is that not elite?

I guess you're saying you want him to be more of a game-breaker -- that I see. It's rare (if ever) that Stastny just takes over a game the way an Ovy or Crosby does. I'm not sure it's in his skill set though -- he's not blessed with their ridiculous skills, it's all his killer intangibles and hockey sense with some good skills...hence why we got him in the 2nd round.

Who knows, he might gain that ability in the future -- nothing he does would surprise me at this point. But my gut tells me he's already close to his ceiling because of his lesser raw skill set when compared to game-breakers. I still say he's already an elite player though.
Yes, he played quite well early on last season, but would you call him one of the top 5 or 10 centers in the NHL at this point? If not, then I'd put forth that we're throwing around the word 'elite' pretty loosely here.

I guess I'd like to see him take over the team, really. I'm not upset with any lack of development in the least. He's a terrific young player. I guess I'd just like to see him become one of the very best players. A lot to put on a kid's shoulders, but if not him, then who?

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 07:06 PM
  #46
chewey
dmitri
 
chewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near You!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Yes, he played quite well early on last season, but would you call him one of the top 5 or 10 centers in the NHL at this point? If not, then I'd put forth that we're throwing around the word 'elite' pretty loosely here.

I guess I'd like to see him take over the team, really. I'm not upset with any lack of development in the least. He's a terrific young player. I guess I'd just like to see him become one of the very best players. A lot to put on a kid's shoulders, but if not him, then who?

-AB
I'd call him top 10. Why?

Last year he got 71 points in 66 games which means his average point per game was: 1.08

According to stats on NHL the no. 10 center [stat wise] was Derek Roy and he got 81 points in 78 games which means his average point per game was: 1.04

Points per game wise, Staz is top 10 in centers last year, techinically he'd be no. 8 behind Ribeiro [1.09].

Had he not been injured I am sure he'd been top 5.


Last edited by chewey: 07-29-2008 at 09:20 PM.
chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:34 PM
  #47
thedoctor
                    
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Yes, he played quite well early on last season, but would you call him one of the top 5 or 10 centers in the NHL at this point? If not, then I'd put forth that we're throwing around the word 'elite' pretty loosely here.

I guess I'd like to see him take over the team, really. I'm not upset with any lack of development in the least. He's a terrific young player. I guess I'd just like to see him become one of the very best players. A lot to put on a kid's shoulders, but if not him, then who?

-AB
http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...oints_avg_desc

Pretty good list in the 15 skaters ahead of him, one might even say elite. top 10 (out of, say, 120 conservatively) at a position in PPG / top 20 overall seems a decent enough definition to me. look, no one's saying he's an elite player when viewed career wise, he's too young...but last year, yeah, he was elite.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:45 AM
  #48
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
ABasin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
I'd call him top 10. Why?
If you feel that way, then it's likely reasonable to call him elite.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:47 AM
  #49
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
ABasin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...oints_avg_desc

Pretty good list in the 15 skaters ahead of him, one might even say elite. top 10 (out of, say, 120 conservatively) at a position in PPG / top 20 overall seems a decent enough definition to me. look, no one's saying he's an elite player when viewed career wise, he's too young...but last year, yeah, he was elite.
I hope he does so again, else the team's going to struggle I think.

I'm hoping he gets a whole season with the same linemates, and everyone healthy.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:56 AM
  #50
chewey
dmitri
 
chewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near You!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
If you feel that way, then it's likely reasonable to call him elite.

-AB
I'd say he's good but not an elite. A elite is probably top 5 - 10 players and as someone mentioned before those are players who go out on the ice and change that temo of the game when their team is down.

But the thing about Staz is, he is the guy preventing the temo of the game to change when the Avs are winning. He gets the puck out, fights for it, and plays D well [kill pks and is on the pps].

The thing about Staz that also makes him better than anyone else is that he can actually play defense, Malkin isn't going to be on the PK anytime soon so while he may not be "elite" he is a complete player.

All being said and done, he will be a elite center in the NHL, top 5-10 but maybe not a elite player more around the 15 or so range.


Last edited by chewey: 07-30-2008 at 01:55 AM.
chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.