HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You know you have an unhealthy Rangers obsession when...

Old
07-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Smashley

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolundasFinest View Post
The best one I got is that me and my roomate actually had a sign in our kitchen during the season that said...

"Number of Times (Roomate) threatened to kill himself because of a Ranger Game"

There were more then enough tallies on that sheet by the end of the year. I am Rangers obsessed like everyone else here, but I always felt like that showed a level of devotion I could never reach.
God, that totally sounds like something I would do, haha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I was on a first date with a very nice, attractive woman that night. When the schedule came out I very nearly canceled the date, but I was convinced not to. Instead, I just had my roommate text me updates every 10 minutes or so.

There was no 2nd date.
And this. Actually did that in a movie theater during a shoot out I think with the leafs, needless to say my bf got pretty annoyed. even if he likes the rangers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagh View Post
I actually have a more recent one. It was during the first game of the Penguins series. I was sure we got the damn thing wrapped up after the 3 goal spurt when the Pens came back I completely lost it and started throwing anything within reach. Unfortunately one of those things was a tennis ball. the damn thing bounced of the wall and hit me in the face.
Ooooh Brutal, Karma is a betch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
Hey smash, was it that "shopping budget = cap space" that triggered this?
No actually, I just thought wow I'm really pathetic after the ESP incident at the gym, and wondered if any of my HF'ers could relate.

Last edited by Smashley: 07-26-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 09:11 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Oh my god

WOW YESSSSSS IM SOO HAPPY I GOT GREAT FEEDBACK!!!!!!!! yessssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 09:35 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
WOW YESSSSSS IM SOO HAPPY I GOT GREAT FEEDBACK!!!!!!!! yessssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anytime

I know that my friend went to the university formal during the first round series against the Devils wearing a Ranger jersey underneath his suit jacket. I probably would've done the same thing if I was hitched at the time. He was checking with my other friend for text updates every 10 minutes during Game 2.

On another note, we won our intramural floor hockey championship this past March, and the championship shirts we got for winning were Ranger blue and red....the other Ranger fans and I on the team agreed that it was some sort of sign. No such luck though

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2008, 11:32 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Two stories that are embedded in my mind. Surely there are more. And I throw things during most games, so I won't even bother to mention them.

One is from just a couple of months ago, Game 1 against the Penguins. My grandmother lives upstairs from me and quite often my uncle (her son, she has two) will come over to visit and use her computer and things like that. Now, my uncle is scarred for life because his grandfather used to curse and drink heavily and all sorts of things like that. So as a result, he never curses, won't even drink wine and just generally avoids things like that.

So I'm downstairs watching the game and watching the season slip away in the course of one game, and like most times when the Rangers/Giants/Yankees start playing like crap, the expletives come flying. My grandmother, bless her soul, is pretty much used to overhearing it by now. But my uncle doesn't come over that often, so he got to hear me refer to Crosby, Malkin and the rest of that God-forsaken team by at least 18 separate words that shouldn't be uttered on television. Thank you Crosby, because of you, you caused a family incident.

Story number two goes WAY back...Game 1 of the 1996 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against the Canadiens. I had a date that night to go to Roseland with this girl to see Joan Osborne (remember her?). Naturally we purchased tickets weeks before we even knew who or when the Rangers would play.

So we get to the concert...and I wasn't impressed. So I left her behind and watched most of the third period and overtime (damn you Vinny Damphousse) at this bar to the side of the general standing area. At the end of the night, let's just say she wasn't pleased with my actions....nor was I with the result of the game. Needless to say, we didn't stay together for long.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 02:36 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
MY
same for me

ROTFL

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 02:48 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

i forgot the time someone texted me the result of game 6 against the sabres last year in the middle of a movie. i yelled a loud, four letter expletive and was promptly shooshed by everyone around

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 02:58 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

OMG! first i have to say these stories are making me laugh so hard i'm practically crying.
Second, I can't believe there are people who get as angry as I do during the games. I drive people crazy with the way I always talk about the rangers. Every morning I go downstarirs and say at least 5 times to each family member "did you know the rangers...ect."

Ok, so the otherday my brother was playing world of warcraft and the computer programmed persons name was "Cowardly Crosby."

On greek easter we go to my grandparents house in the adorondaks. That day there was a rangers game (i think it was game 1 against the penguins) and i begged my parents to let me stay home, but they we'rent having any of it. In the car on the way up I listene to it on the radio (which, by the way was all static) and would'nt let anyone touch it. When we got to my grandparents house they turned the game on (right in the middle of the yankee game my uncle was watching). He was all bitter and what not as he sat in the back of the room and glared, so i let him watch the yankee's on the intermission break.

My social studies teacher is a red wings fan. Everyday when I get into class he starts to talk about the problems with the rangers, and what not. I usually just ignore him. One day half way through class he starts talking about how the rangers arn't going to the stanley cup final, and it was the most annoying thing in the world. I sat there and bit my toung the whole time because you cant really yell nasty things at the faculty. As I walked out of class i muttered "he's going to wake up tomorrow with no hair."

Oh, another teacher story: my art teacher is a Canadians fan or something and he was talking about hockey and stuff. I always draw pictures of the rangers for assignments, and he started talking about if i played hockey (which i want to do) i would kill everyone on the ice, and how I would beat them up and smash them into the boards. All i could think was "am I really a violent person?" I guess I am when it comes to the rangers...

In school my locker is right next to this buffalo fans locker. Before the first game between them last season he was all "buffalo's going to beat the rangers." All i did was shake my head and walk away. As you know the rangers swept them this year, he didnt say another word to me for the rest of the year.

Last yea for my english presentation i did the whole thing on the rangers (to accompany my 9 page research paper). I brought in a hockey stick and everyone was staring at me as i carried it through the hall's. the other team fans were smart enough not to say anything about the rangers while i had the stick. It would hurt if it suddenly came down ontop of their head...

Old
07-28-2008, 02:59 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
i forgot the time someone texted me the result of game 6 against the sabres last year in the middle of a movie. i yelled a loud, four letter expletive and was promptly shooshed by everyone around

Old
07-28-2008, 03:10 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

OH! i have another one...

A few weeks ago in the supermarket there was this lady in the mid-forties (it looked like) wearing a bruins sweatshirt. You know how you can just see someone who looks like a fan of the team? We'll she looked like a fan of the bruins. She was at the meat section and my mom walked over there, and i followed. She left after about 5 seconds, and when she did I said (maybe a little too loudly) its good she walked away because she could have died today
and then my mom was all "dont do that, you're going to get into a fight one of these days" and all i could say was "i'll defend my team."

My social studies class took a trip to a museum in boston last year. On the way back we stopped at a store and they had bruins jerseys behind the counter for sale. I was in line with my friends al all i could say was "EW! why would they sell those jerseys here? there a horrible team" (which i say about every other team), and the girl behind the counter looked like she was going to blow up. Her face got all red and everything

Old
07-28-2008, 03:21 PM
RFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
i got one for ya...end of the season this past year. it was the last regular season game where the rangers faced the flyers in MSG (this was march 25 i think, and we lost the game in OT) anyway, im from northern nj and im at the secaucus junction ready to make a tranfer to head into penn station so on the platform on my side is FILLED with rangers and flyers fans. so i stare across the platform and all i can see is ONE family alone wearing devils gear on the other side for the prudential center. ONE family all alone just standing there peacefully...i walk kind of away from everyone and i begin screaming at the top of my lungs "DEVILS SUCK" and i kept going yelling all types of things. next thing i know, all the rangers and flyers fans on the platform r screaming at the devils fans on the other side. the single family looks absolutely terrorized as all the fans on our side start cheering and chanting (there were over 100 people on my side of the platform)
You are one mean SOB!!!

RFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 03:32 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
When I told Drury the other day on the subway that he ruined my week when he tied that game up vs buffalo. He's a good guy, talked for about 15 mins mostly about the city and fordham cause his cousin is trying to get in, not much about the team. Told me Jagr's thing was about the years, didn't sound like he was losing sleep over Avery going to dallas, and ironically he didn't know Hollweg got traded to Toronto until I told him (to his credit it happened a few hours earlier and I got a text from my buddy during the home run derby. I met him on the subway after the derby). Down the earth guy, well spoken, pretty much ordinary couldn't tell he was a multi millionaire.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 04:39 PM
mti79

1. During last years final game vs. Pitt, my girlfriend's roommate started watching the game with us and as we all know, Pitt took a 2-0 lead. We were bummed. During the 2nd intermission, the roommate left the room and didn't return for the start of the 3rd. Soon thereafter, we tied the game and my gf and I started going crazy. The roommate comes back in to see what happened and we both turned on her and shouted for her to get out of the room.... she was upset, left the apartment within 5 mins and didn't seem happy with us the rest of the weekend.

2. My gf is in medical school and currently doing a rotation at a Long Island Hospital. Since she gets to wear scrubs all day, she decided to throw on a Rangers scrub top to show her pride. One of the residents saw it and was like "don't tell me you're a Rangers fan." When she assured him that she was, he told her to get out of the hospital because he was an Islander fan. At this point, her eyes lit up and she called him over. Underneath her scrub top was a white "Potvin Sucks" shirt! Once again, he was not amused. We, however, were very much amused.

3. In my school, one of my professors is a Devils fan so I would make sure to wear some sort of Rangers gear every day I knew I would see him. I also made sure to remind him of the record between the two teams this past season.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 09:02 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
One of my best buds and I drove to Buffalo and back (from Albany) in one day for Game 5 in '07. This is the funniest of several incidents:

Game 5 against the Sabres last year, my buddy and I were sitting in behind the goal the Rangers defended twice (yes, got to see Drury score that goal mere feet away). I'm wearing my white Nemchinov jersey, my buddy is wearing an old blue Leetch. A guy I work with in Buffalo calls me from the luxury box between periods and says "hey, isn't that the Rangers owner sitting in the next box over?" (the box was directly above and behind my seats).

I tap my friend on the shoulder and point out, sure enough, our favorite son, James Dolan Jr. looking utterly bored. My buddy completely loses his spit, and starts SCREAMING at the top of his lungs (mind you, surrounded by Sabres fans): "F you, Dolan, you MotherXXXXing SOB. You almost ruined us!" On and on and on, for like five minutes. I have no idea if Dolan heard us (the HSBC boxes are pretty low), but after first being terrified of my friend, the Sabres fans are doubled over in laughter.

I stand there, just shaking my head. That was a LONG ride back to Albany.

THAT IS GREAT.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:02 AM
Garv23

I used to work a nightwatch job at a swim club. During the Ranger/Devil series in 94 when Zelepukin scored with 11 secs left, I was so livid, I ran out of the office, climbed the 15 ft high board, ran, took one angry bounce and after a good second or 2 of air time, belly flopped. It hurt so freakin' bad, but it was that, or my office would've been completely tra$hed. Actually bruised a couple ribs and hurt my jaw hahaha what an idiot, right? Of course later, thanks to MatteauMatteauMatteau, there was a happy ending.

Now, to keep from hurting myself or breaking any valueables, I have a rolled up pair of socks that I duct taped and wail it at a wall when I get pissed. A good example would be that Montreal 5 goal comeback game

I highly recommend this!

Last edited by Garv23: 07-31-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Mistress Mandy

I know I've said this before. I just vent after a loss (mostly a blowout or when a loss occurs that just shouldn't have happened) by writing about it. It's usually lyrics and then whatever I'm going to say afterwards, which turns into a big rant that probably never makes sense.

No objects -- animate or otherwise -- have ever been harmed in the meltdowns. The only thing that's hurting at the end of it is my pride.

Mistress Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:31 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
I used to work a nightwatch job at a swim club. During the Ranger/Devil series in 94 when Zelepukin scored with 11 secs left, I was so livid, I ran out of the office, climbed the 15 ft high board, ran, took one angry bounce and after a good second or 2 of air time, belly flopped. It hurt so freakin' bad, but it was that, or my office would've been completely tra$hed. Actually bruised a couple ribs and hurt my jaw hahaha what an idiot, right? Of course later, thanks to MatteauMatteauMatteau, there was a happy ending.

Now, to keep from hurting myself or breaking any valueables, I have a rolled up pair of socks that I duct taped and wail it at a wall when I get pissed. A good example would be that Montreal 5 goal comeback game

I highly recommend this!
I should try this...

Old
07-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Doyle

...when Aaron Voros comes into your office and all you can think about is the preseason

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:11 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
...when Aaron Voros comes into your office and all you can think about is the preseason
Ok, explain.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Doyle

Quote:
Ok, explain.
Work in a leasing office, Voros was looking for a place

Old
07-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
OK Obsessed with the Rangers lol We all are but here we go.
My Dogs name is Ranger
My Back is tattooed with the Goalie masks of great Ranger Goalies
The 94 Stanley Cup is tattooed on my calf,
I go on the road with Vacation every pre season to see the games.
I have been ejected from a game in 1990 for screaming at Mick Vukota that his father was a gerble in long island during the entire pre game. Mick skates over and throws his stick at me, lol

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Work in a leasing office, Voros was looking for a place
Ok, you become the #1 Rangers fan if you answer this the right way:

Did you recognize Voros or saw his name on something?

Old
07-31-2008, 03:20 PM
Doyle

Quote:
Ok, you become the #1 Rangers fan if you answer this the right way:

Did you recognize Voros or saw his name on something?
Well we got a call yesterday from a broker who told us she had a professional athlete coming to see our building. In anticipation all of the agents were expecting a Knicks player. I came in from my cigarette break and asked my boss who it was. He in turn said "nobody." He looked like some European import and not following basketball I had no idea.

We require all our prospective tenants to fill out a sign in sheet. The agent who was taking the appointment runs in and goes "Who is this guy?" Looking at the name, I turned into a little kid and told everyone in the office he plays for the Rangers.

So in short, I didn't recognize him at all. But in all fairness I was looking for a basketball player.

Old
07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Forechecker

Guess he feels like he's making the team, huh.

Old
07-31-2008, 04:13 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

kind of OT, but on easter I wrote each ranger name on a different colored egg.

Old
07-31-2008, 04:18 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Why were you at a movie, you should've been at the game

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote