HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Good french movie recommendation

Old
07-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
I hate French movies because I hate the France accent.

I remember being pissed a lot because my ex didn't talk any English and when we saw movies, it was always a put down when the translation was done in France.

But I love French Quebecer movies.. have seen them all.

One of my personal favorites is La vie après L'amour. Michel Côté is so funny and a good actor. Can't wait to see Cruising Bar 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
I found these two really funny. I still crack up about the guy (whose girlfriend wanted to get pregnant) who got caught red handed mixing birth control pills with the OJ he prepared every morning for his girlfriend.
Yeah, he's such a dick in that movie... that guy always plays guys who are dicks, seems to suit him well.

Did you ever see Stardom... not the best movie, but God, that Jessica Paré is, eh, like, I don't have words to describe her....

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-18-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
As for La Haine it's been awhile but how I remember it it's an amazing movie, really illustrates life in France's ghettos and a great storyline.

Banlieu 13 is *kinda* the same thing, it takes place in a Paris Ghetton in 2010 and it's about an undercover cops that infiltrates a gang street. There's a lot of humour in it and I think it's more for the 18-25 crowd but still a very good movie nonetheless. Worth checking out for sure. Start with the other two though.
I can't believe you just compared ''La Haine'' to ''Banlieu 13''..
La Haine is the best movie ever made representing ''les citées'' in France, a drama.
Banlieu 13 is a complete crappy FICTIONAL movie set in the future about this ''rebel'' seeking revenge after his sister is being held hostage, with an exaggeration of the type of living conditions similar in the ''Favelas'' of Brazil . A typical action movie.

La Haine is a masterpiece, Banlieu 13 is a piece of crap.

Two completely different movies.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 03:51 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
I also saw Dans Une Galaxie Pres de Chez Vous 1 and 2 a few months ago. I thought they were pretty hilarious if you take them for what they are. It's very dry and sarcastic and relies on lots of wordplay and taking things literally. I'd recommend these movies if you just want to laugh, although it also gives off subtle messages about our planet. Anyone else like these?

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 03:55 PM
NoKtUrN

Other than the ones already listed here, there is:

Un dimanche a Kigali
La Bouteille
La Florida
La guide de la petite vangeance -> not one of the best but there are some funny parts. Saw it lattely so it's fresh for me.

those that say all "Les Boys" movies sucked after the first one, they suck way less than alot of movies that were named in this thread.

NoKtUrN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I can't believe you just compared ''La Haine'' to ''Banlieu 13''..
La Haine is the best movie ever made representing ''les citées'' in France, a drama.
Banlieu 13 is a complete crappy FICTIONAL movie set in the future about this ''rebel'' seeking revenge after his sister is being held hostage, with an exaggeration of the type of living conditions similar in the ''Favelas'' of Brazil . A typical action movie.

La Haine is a masterpiece, Banlieu 13 is a piece of crap.

Two completely different movies.
Well sorry I just hurt your feelings. Banlieu 13 is a very good action movie.

I just compared the two based on how they both take place in France ghettos. Notice how I ranked La Haine wayy higher than Banlieu13 (who I put in there just because I ran out of idea lol).

La Haine is not on the same level as Banlieu13 of course and they arn't the same kind of movie at all anyway. No need to get all upset about my post, man.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:

I just compared the two based on how they both take place in France ghettos. Notice how I ranked La Haine wayy higher than Banlieu13 (who I put in there just because I ran out of idea lol).

La Haine is not on the same level as Banlieu13 of course and they arn't the same kind of movie at all anyway. No need to get all upset about my post, man.
The guy is full of Haine.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:56 PM
roy munson

Can't believe no one mentionned Bernie! One of the funniest movies I saw. I'm pretty sure it's from Belgium. European black comedy at its best.

There is also À la folie, pas du tout, with Audrey Tautou... First half seems pointless until the second half comes along... Great movie.

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:57 PM
vivalehockey

from france: Doberman
Quatre garcons plein d'avenir

vivalehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalehockey View Post

This a movie?

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Batarnac

vCash: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
I also saw Dans Une Galaxie Pres de Chez Vous 1 and 2 a few months ago. I thought they were pretty hilarious if you take them for what they are. It's very dry and sarcastic and relies on lots of wordplay and taking things literally. I'd recommend these movies if you just want to laugh, although it also gives off subtle messages about our planet. Anyone else like these?
I used to watch the tv show some years ago and I saw the first movie on Super Écran. I'm looking forward to see the second one. Really funny, and they have a great cast with Guy Jodoin, Réal Bossé, Stéphane Crête, Didier Lucien, Claude Legault and Sylvie Moreau. I have to admit that I've been a big fan of Guy Jodoin since Télé Pirate and his debut with Bruno Blanchet on Le Studio.

Batarnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:08 PM
vivalehockey

vivalehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:12 PM
HabsOfSteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyne View Post

Some personal faves that I would recommend.

- La Reine Margot

- Le Retour de Martin Guerre

- Le Declin de L'Empire Americain/ Les Invasions Barbares

- Cyrano de Bergerac (with Depardieu)

- Abel Gance's "Napoleon"

- Belle de Jour

- Manon des Sources

- Les Jeux Interdits

- La Regle du Jeu
Better watch "Jean de Florette" first if you wanna understand "Manon des Sources" better...

HabsOfSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:19 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Pretty much all were said except for ''Tais toi'' with Jean Reno and Gerard Depardieu.

Nothing special as a movie but funny. Two very good actors and I laughed alot.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Wiseman27*

Astérix et Obélix: mission Cléopâtre

Wiseman27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:22 PM
snakeye

Le petit baigneur (my favorite French movie)
http://www.dailymotion.com/related/x...rants-dair_fun

Irreversible

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatthatquestion View Post
I used to watch the tv show some years ago and I saw the first movie on Super Écran. I'm looking forward to see the second one. Really funny, and they have a great cast with Guy Jodoin, Réal Bossé, Stéphane Crête, Didier Lucien, Claude Legault and Sylvie Moreau. I have to admit that I've been a big fan of Guy Jodoin since Télé Pirate and his debut with Bruno Blanchet on Le Studio.
The ending in Dans une Galaxie 2 is really funny.

- H Potter dies.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

+1 for C.R.A.Z.Y. Great, great movie.

Other movies from Quebec, already mentioned: "Gaz bar blues", "Leolo", "Un zoo la nuit", and "Requiem pour un beau sans-coeur". Don't care too much about Arcand. "Quebec-Montreal" and "Horloge Biologique" for comedies.

Loads of French movies -too many to list any, really-, but my favorite one is "Toto le héros" (actually from Belgium). In my book, it's on par with Citizen Kane.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Africa.

Jeux d'enfants.
La haine.(One of my favorite movie ever, TOO GOOD)
C.R.A.Z.Y.

As for T.V. series...gotta go with La petite vie.

Quote:

Sorry dude but....La Haine >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Banlieu 13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
+1 for C.R.A.Z.Y. Great, great movie.

Other movies from Quebec, already mentioned: "Gaz bar blues", "Leolo", "Un zoo la nuit", and "Requiem pour un beau sans-coeur". Don't care too much about Arcand. "Quebec-Montreal" and "Horloge Biologique" for comedies.

Loads of French movies -too many to list any, really-, but my favorite one is "Toto le héros" (actually from Belgium). In my book, it's on par with Citizen Kane.
Good one. Forgot about that one.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-18-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Africa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Haddock

Gaz Bar Bllues isone of if not my favorite movie ever made. Funny, touching, it's fukcing great. Altought, I'm a bit biased as I grew up in a garage similar to the one in the movie, but it's great anyway.

I wouldn't touch Denys Arcand's movie with a ten foot pole. The man stopped being relevant in the early 80's when he stopped doing documentaries to make movies about bourgeois complaining.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 08:50 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Being in Alberta, I'm not in the loop when in comes to movies from Quebec, but there was a show on Radio-Canada tonight promoting the movie 'Un été sans point ni coup sûr' and it got me really excited to see it. It looks to be fantastic.

I think I can really relate to this movie, growing up, I spent an awful lot of time outside playing baseball with my dad. And of course, the Expos were the team we cheered for.

Comes out August first, but I'll probably have to wait 'til it comes out on PPV to see it...nonetheless, I'm pumped for it. I love Quebec movies, so I'm eagerly anticipating this one.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I hate French movies because I hate the France accent.
While I'm not a fan of french movies, (but not for the reason you're mentioning...), people who didn't see Le Dîner de Cons is missing something. Definately one of the funniest movie I've seen ever french and english.

As far as Quebec movies....I like to believe that Slapshot translated in Québécois is a Québec movie.... I hate ALL the translations from English to French, cannot stand it, watch all my movies in English....but it has to be a first when the french version is better than the original one....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Brownies

Horloge biologique : Funny, intelligent and well done.
La grande séduction : Charming and funny, Lucie Laurier is hot
L'auberge espagnole : A must see for anyone
Le diner de cons : One of the funniest movie ever
Gaz bar blues : Perfectly represent what's so good in our movies
Sur le seuil : Best horror movie done in Quebec IMO.
Haute tension : Best horror movie ever made (big) IMO
L'audition : Touching

There's a lot of good movies made in Quebec, thanks to our language and a little bit of hate (jealousy ?) from everything that's coming from France. It's great.

I also like what's coming from other part of Canada, but it's sad to see that most people doesn't seem to care about these movies because Matt Damon or Cameron Diaz are not playing in it. In Quebec, we have our own "Star system" and you can hear some people at the grocery store talking about the new movie with Rémy Girard, as if they were talking about George Clooney. The good actors from Ontario seems to go to the US, but I could be exagerrating.

I saw a really good interview the other day with a canadian director. He was talking about one of his movie where I don't know what tragedy leads to the end of the world. He wanted to avoid the whole "armaggedon" thing and look at it from a canadian perspective. He had the idea of a guy working at a gas compagny and calling all of his clients one by one to thank them. You could see him scratch every names one by one. I tought that was pretty cool and really represented the canadian cinema as I see it.

Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 09:48 PM
lasainteflanelle*

i just watched "ma fille mon ange" the other day...i would highly recommend it

lasainteflanelle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 10:10 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
Taxi 1, 2, ,3, 4
Aterix et Obelix Mission Cléopâtre
That movie is awesome.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
My top 2 French movies are:

Le Samourai
Rififi

The Battle of Algiers is largely French language but Italian produced.

Also, read Camus.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote