HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Buying a car, need advice on this one! (merged)

View Poll Results: If you had the choice, which Car would you take?
Nissan Altima Coupe 0 0%
Honda Accord Coupe 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-28-2008, 10:36 PM
VelvetJones

vCash: 500
If you have a mustache get the trans am.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Sthabs

exellent post doug mckenzie
dont forget chain belts (more rare) but more reliable

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 10:59 PM
kovy1335

Send a message via AIM to kovy1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
toyota tercel/echo gives you 45-50 miles per gallon maybe more if you drive not like a maniac.

Trans Am?your goin to get about 18-20 miles per gallon and maybe high 20's on the highway.
Apart from the echo, I'd be really, really surprised if either of those statistics are right.

Both are older models... I would guess 28-35 for the tercel, and 14-18 mpg for the trans am. No way I see that hog getting anywhere close to high 20's, even on the highway.

kovy1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Fat Elvis

I do recommend a site that gives advice on these types of questions, edmonds.com

Like anything when spending some coin, take your time making your decision. I have a toyota and just have had the typical service done on it, nothing has gone wrong yet. The transAm, although cooler looking was never known for it's reliability. So unless you enjoy working on cars and have the extra scratch for repairs, the toyota's are the best bet imo.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:03 PM
francklem

Go for the Toyota !

They are not very fun to ride i would say my Corrola 97 was no fun to drive but it last 11 years and had 400 000 KM before having mecanical probleme .

Ok i had to change Brake , Timing belt , Spark plug but that s maintenance .

My engine blew and guess what i did buy an other Corrola but the 2009 one is very fun to ride not the same technology .

francklem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovy1335 View Post
Apart from the echo, I'd be really, really surprised if either of those statistics are right.

Both are older models... I would guess 28-35 for the tercel, and 14-18 mpg for the trans am. No way I see that hog getting anywhere close to high 20's, even on the highway.
your obviously in the USA.Our miles per gallon differ from yours because our gallons are different.

Up here in Canada a gallon is 4.5 litres

the U.S. gallon (3.8 litres)

thats why our miles per galllon up here in Canada is higher.

And yes i can get 50 mpg in a tercel no problem with my Standard 5 speed with an overdrive.

with an automatic no .

Your going to get better mileage with a standard and especially with the overdrive

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 07-28-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:15 PM
lou4gehrig

you don't want to get something too nice... get something decent and used... that way you can destroy it a bit... and you'll be more motivated to get something you really want in a few years... if you get a more expensive car first, you'll be stuck with it.... i vote for the Tercel...

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:30 PM
JFB

Tercel is old and overrated. Go with the Echo.

If you want a cheaper alternative, I suggest a Hyundai Accent from years 2000+. A Hyundai with 100,000 km will cost less than a Toyota with 200,000 km.

JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Eggbeater

I think the 1981 Chevrolet Citation is right up your alley!

Eggbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 12:06 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Echo easely... It's a newer car, so it's less problem.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
LastChancePrice

Hey thanks a lot all for the information you all gave me.Lots of thing i didnt knew ( like the timing belt) .

Going to look for a 1995 tercel and up for sure now hehe

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 04:54 PM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec View Post
anything honda or toyota and your off to a good start
quoted for truth!

YOUTH OF HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 05:25 PM
dzd ncnfzd

Echo probably best and most sensible if you can afford one, had one for 5 years, great car. Tercel its predecessor also good car but getting a bit old, only if you can't afford newer Echo.

However.....if you can afford to run the Trans-Amm / Firebird, (and pay third party insurance for it) and to maintain it, go for it, you're only young once!! I'm an old geezer (well not quite, only 52) and I tell you the only time its suitable to be young and foolish, is when you are young and foolish!!!!

SO if poor, old Tercel, If sensible and not so poor, the Echo the best choice - great car....but if your heart says Trans-am and you can afford it go for it. (Bad advice???) you will love it...as long as you realize what you're getting into. (The chicks, and buddies will love it and you only live once)

My first car was a '68 Buick Wildcat with a 435 big block, gave me a bit of trouble, but I loved it and never regreted it.

dzd ncnfzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 08:11 PM
sampollock

honda

you will never go back

best car on the market

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzd ncnfzd View Post
Echo probably best and most sensible if you can afford one, had one for 5 years, great car. Tercel its predecessor also good car but getting a bit old, only if you can't afford newer Echo.

However.....if you can afford to run the Trans-Amm / Firebird, (and pay third party insurance for it) and to maintain it, go for it, you're only young once!! I'm an old geezer (well not quite, only 52) and I tell you the only time its suitable to be young and foolish, is when you are young and foolish!!!!

SO if poor, old Tercel, If sensible and not so poor, the Echo the best choice - great car....but if your heart says Trans-am and you can afford it go for it. (Bad advice???) you will love it...as long as you realize what you're getting into. (The chicks, and buddies will love it and you only live once)

My first car was a '68 Buick Wildcat with a 435 big block, gave me a bit of trouble, but I loved it and never regreted it.
make sure to tell him what gas prices were when you were fueling up that Buick Wildcat.

tell him what you paid a year in car insurance.

Being young and foolish TODAY comes at a much bigger cost .

Old
07-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Sthabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
honda

you will never go back

best car on the market

not the best
overall good, because they re cheap they attract people especially here in Qc, they re good at a lot of things, and that s what makes them good, they dont have a lot of obvious weaknesses
but...
they re not the most reliable (toyota is),because they re cheap they rust easily, no power, no fun, no options, etc....(obviously if there s nothing in the car there s not a lot of things that ll have the chance to break)

Honda is a good car for people that want to get from point A to point B, slowly, and reliably, that I have no problem with that, but not the best cars in the market as you said imo
just nitpicking...
ps, mostly talking about the old models...

Last edited by Sthabs: 07-29-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:45 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Echo

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:51 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHfan4ever View Post
Ok hello all!

Yes, its time for me to purchase my first car! Well actually, there is three car that i might be interested to purchase.

1: Pontiac Trans Am 1980. ( one simple question....is this car Gas eater? . And let say i got some problems with that car, does any garageshop know how to repair that car if it got any problems???

2: Toyota Tercel ( lol yeah what a drop ). Wella ctually i can find that car at around 1k..so considering that price...for a first car..i think it wont be a bad choice no???

3: Toyota Echo Hatchback 2004 ( 3 door). A near new car...hoping its not gas eater!I love the size of that car...could be useful to find parking during heavy winters...

I really...really love the pontiac.....do you recommand this car ?( i dont want to spend too much on gas...so that might hold me a bit on that one)

thanks if you can help...
The Pontiac is an unreliable gas guzzler. Go with the japcans.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Hemlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
If you have a mustache get the trans am.
+1...amazing

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:07 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

I currently still own my first car and it's 1995 Mustang GT V8-5.0L engine.
With a few mods it's up to ~260hp\350lbs-troque.

Not bad for a first car... I also have a crap daily driver wich is an Accent.

Don't listen to all the Japcars fanboys.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
honda

you will never go back

best car on the market
I've owned 4 Hondas/Acura's, this is the best advice anyone could give.
I'll never go back.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Chargers View Post
I hate long quotes but what you say is correct is is worth re-reading. I have a 2001 Protege for sale with 100 300 km and the timing belt is a concern. It is as usual with periodic repairs. Having them done gives you peace of mind and may prolong the cars life, you would also have to trust the garage.
How much do you sell it?

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHfan4ever View Post
Hey thanks a lot all for the information you all gave me.Lots of thing i didnt knew ( like the timing belt) .

Going to look for a 1995 tercel and up for sure now hehe

Always check your oil regularly . Get in that habit .Better safe than sorry .

With Toyota Tercel i wouldnt be scared of higher mileage car IF as long as its 95-99(free running engines) and as long as it doesnt burn oil(or very little) or smoke .So ask the owner does the car burn much oil?Maybe he will or wont tell you the truth.

Ask him how often he changes the oil (every how many km's)

Then ask him every 5000 km how much oil does he normally have to add. If he says 1/4 or a 1/2 a quart or 3/4 of a quart ok(most older cars will burn some oil) BUT if he says 2 or 3 quarts he needs to add then run like heck .

not all but ALOT the early 90's years Tercels (91-94) were noted to have "weak value seals" as they crept up in mileage, which caused alot of them to burn oil and smoke . It was a common problem.SO with any car you buy try to find one that doesn't smoke or burn much oil .

I had 2 1995 Tercel i bought one for 500 dollars(with 280,000 km ) drove it for 5 years and only had to replace the brakes and tires ,(hassle free driven) , i gave it away at 390,000 km and it still runs like a top today with over 415,000 km on her. DOESNT smoke or burn any oil either . Amazin little car

One of the other 95's i owned after many years and many km's began to smoke a little (nothing serious) when i first started it up . When it warmed up(the engine) it would stop smoking . It did burn a little oil but nothing i considered too "serious" about a quart or a little more between oil changes and i lived with it .It too ended up with near 400,000 km on it before i let her go .

You might or might not be mechanically inclined i dunno BUT
Bring a friend with you when you go view a CAR..have you or your friend stand behind the car and start it up and let it run for a bit . If your seeing white smoke as you rev up the engine (like in this video) its probably your head gasket leaking . WALK AWAY FROM THE CAR no matter how good a deal .

run away if you see this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_1Pv...eature=related

If your seeing smoke with a "bluish tint" its most likley your burning oil.id walk away again depending on how bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sunbddejaIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uecmGqiY_nk

Now preferably TRY TO FIND yourself a car that doesn't smoke! or unless your getting a super good deal(500 bucks )maybe you might be willing to take a car that does( very very very little)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R3WqOfCUP8

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 07-30-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Old
07-30-2008, 07:11 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

lol @ Honduh fanboys.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 07:22 AM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Try the Dodge Neon 1995

The frameless windows ...what a good decision.

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote