HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Easiest playoff opponents in Habs history?

Old
07-29-2008, 02:54 AM
Al Bundy*

vCash: 500
Easiest playoff opponents in Habs history?

Who can you recall as the easiest Canadiens' playoff opponent in terms of talent, series outcome, and dominance?

Last edited by Al Bundy*: 07-29-2008 at 03:24 AM.
Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:03 AM
TheAntiprice*

all time record of 24-7 against the Bruins speaks for itself...

TheAntiprice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:24 AM
Al Bundy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiprice View Post
all time record of 24-7 against the Bruins speaks for itself...
I'm looking for a specific playoff series.

Old
07-29-2008, 06:37 AM
bib
#believe

1976-77 quarterfinal matchup against the Blues. Won 4 straight in a dominant fashion.

Game 1: Montreal 7 - Blues 2

Game 2: Montreal 3 - Blues 0

Game 3: Montreal 5 - Blues 1

Game 4: Montreal 4 - Blues 1

We must have had one of the easiest finals in our history that year as well.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app?se...is_hR_hHCD_887

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 08:55 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Claude Ruel: "Y'en aura pas de facile!".

Although that series with the Blues comes pretty close, I suppose.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:47 AM
habsrock76

Buffalo in 1993. 4 game sweep if i remember. Muller closes the series with an OT slapshot from the face off dot.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
1976-77 quarterfinal matchup against the Blues. Won 4 straight in a dominant fashion.

I'm pretty sure that's the year that the Habs only lost 8 games. Nobody was stopping them.

Dwight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:04 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
Buffalo in 1993. 4 game sweep if i remember. Muller closes the series with an OT slapshot from the face off dot.
No way.. that series was an intense battle with multiple overtime games and at least one general brawl.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Turboflex*

Boston, always a guaranteed series win so pretty easy.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:20 AM
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
No way.. that series was an intense battle with multiple overtime games and at least one general brawl.
I think we won every game in that series 4-3, and 3 of the 4 went into overtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
I guess you weren't around in the late 80's/early 90's eh?

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-29-2008 at 03:40 PM.
JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:23 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
I think we won every game in that series 4-3, and 3 of the 4 went into overtime.
Yeah.. If I remember correctly.. even the Conference finals were easier gainst a Turgeon-less Islanders.

But so far, that Blues series looks like its going to be hard to beat.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Yeah.. If I remember correctly.. even the Conference finals were easier gainst a Turgeon-less Islanders.

We beat the Isles in 5 that year,didn't we beat the Sabres in 4 before that?I don't remeber the scores but I don't think they scored many goals against us that year

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:

The Isles were definitely the easiest series of that playoffs.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:37 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

There are plenty of candidates just as dominated as the Blues in 78. In 69 alone the Habs ragdolled the Rangers in the first round, and to a lesser extent the Blues in the finals.

It's really impossible to see by looking at the scoreline, anyway. We need someone who's actually seen the series to come in here and opine.

07-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
I guess you weren't around in the late 80's/early 90's eh?
I was, but that's ancient history. Get with the times man.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Al Bundy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
In 69 alone the Habs ragdolled the Rangers in the first round.
The fact that they squashed a Ranger team that would prove to be very dominant for the next few years with the GAG line and Ed Giacomin... that speaks volumes.

They crushed a very decent team, not a J.V. squad.

Old
07-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
There are plenty of candidates just as dominated as the Blues in 78. In 69 alone the Habs ragdolled the Rangers in the first round, and to a lesser extent the Blues in the finals.

It's really impossible to see by looking at the scoreline, anyway. We need someone who's actually seen the series to come in here and opine.
In these years the Blues were always in the finals, it was the best expension team in a weak conference. I think they got beat like 5 years straight in the finals, people considered 'east' finals as the real final.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:41 PM
bib
#believe

Found another gem. Wow wow wow. Semifinals of 1945-46 playoffs.

Game 1: Montreal 6 - Chicago 2

Game 2: Montreal 5 - Chicago 1

Game 3: Montreal 8 - Chicago 2

Game 4: Montreal 7 - Chicago 2

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app?se...is_hR_hHCD_873

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Chet-Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Granted Montreal has won the last three series over the Bruins. Along with countless others in the 70's and 80's. However, there was a depressing time frame (early 90's), when Boston clearly had Montreal's number.

Not to make cheap excuses. But, Boston was a contender back then and the Habs were introducing a young crop of defensemen to the NHL (Desjardins, Schneider, Odelein, Hill, Lefebvre, Brisebois).

I never heard the end of it when Boston was on a roll over the Habs. Too bad I no longer see those (once) annoying Bruin fans around anymore. Thinking about what they've experienced lately is almost as good. Especially the 2004 series.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Well the Habs had sweeps against the Whalers in the opening round in 89 not to mention against the Blues, Hawks, Leafs (twice) and Bruins in the late 70s. Then the Bruins in the 80s were whipping boys until 88 as the Habs between game 2 of that year's DF and game 6 of the 1979 SF won a ridiculous 15 of 17 post-season games (including 9 in a row from game 5 of the 1985 DSF to game 1 of said 88 series). The Habs I think went 8-0-2 or something in the 1981-82 season against Boston, with some wins being huge like 8-2, 10-4, etc. How did that frigging team lose to a .500 club like Quebec anyway? Of the Habs teams from 1979-85, a cup drought, that was the best one and yet it still choked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet-Nick View Post
Granted Montreal has won the last three series over the Bruins. Along with countless others in the 70's and 80's. However, there was a depressing time frame (early 90's), when Boston clearly had Montreal's number.

Not to make cheap excuses. But, Boston was a contender back then and the Habs were introducing a young crop of defensemen to the NHL (Desjardins, Schneider, Odelein, Hill, Lefebvre, Brisebois).

I never heard the end of it when Boston was on a roll over the Habs. Too bad I no longer see those (once) annoying Bruin fans around anymore. Thinking about what they've experienced lately is almost as good. Especially the 2004 series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet-Nick View Post

I've watched those 90, 91 and 92 losses. The Bruins were the more opportunistic bunch, getting all the breaks and bounces. 1988 was almost like an overdue deserving win for Boston and they were just stingy and too difficult to overcome in 1990's five-game loss. 1991 was a heartbreaking 7-game defeat. They had a dominant player in Neely and he had 9 goals in the series. How do you stop that? Also, Roy got outperformed by Moog while Neely pwned him and 1992 was the same plus the Habs offense could never get by the big, strong Bruin checkers. The 92 series was a huge disappointment because they had lost to superior Bruin teams the previous two times, but seemed to have the better club. Sure the 65-point Whalers nearly knocked off the Habs before Courtnall scored in double OT at the Forum, but 84-pt. Boston had trouble with an inferior Buffalo team too.

But the Habs 8-pt. advantage meant nothing. Roy pretty much sucked in the series. As of 92, the Habs faithful were depressed and convinced a cup was not in the works. The 92-93 season's late collapse and early struggles with Quebec seemed to support the doom and gloom, with Roy's struggles compounding it. But after the comeback in that series and Boston's stunning sweep to Buffalo, the door was opened for a potentia run at the cup or at least escaping the Adams for a change. And we all know how well it turned out. Something about those early 90s Bruins. Even their not-so-household names would turn heroes; Peter Douris, John Carter, Dave Christian, Randy Burridge, etc.

Last edited by Hab-a-maniac: 07-30-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 05:31 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post

I remember that series...Blues kept their center back at center ice when in offensive zone to try and stop Lafleur. Don't think I ever seen a team do that before or since.

I was about 12 at the time, hockey and the Habs were all I knew. I remember before the playoffs started I was scared the world was going to end before the playoffs started. That's how hyped up I was over the Habs

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote