HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why didn't anybody stand up for Aaron Ward?

Old
07-28-2008, 09:03 PM
mattyd99

vCash: 500
I kind of forgot about this because it was so long ago, but wasn't it rumored Ward made a racial comment to Brashear and that's why he hit him? And no one stood up for Ward because he drew a penalty and the fact that I think him and Cullen were becoming singled out in the locker room by this point in the season.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 09:25 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
I kind of forgot about this because it was so long ago, but wasn't it rumored Ward made a racial comment to Brashear and that's why he hit him? And no one stood up for Ward because he drew a penalty and the fact that I think him and Cullen were becoming singled out in the locker room by this point in the season.
It was rumored that he made a racial comment. But of course no one said what the comment was and the only person to hear it was Brashear. Seems like a convenient way to justify a cheap shot.

And there was retaliation when Orr cross checked Ovechkins face. Orr got suspended for 5? games. I never heard if Ovechkin said something bad about Manitoban's to precipitate it.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 10:30 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Um...no.

Ward was a decent dman for us and if you think Ward is soft then I have to question whether you even know what soft means.
ward wasn't soft by any means but he never looked decent to me during his stint that season.

he just wasn't a good fit for renney's defensive system and most of the time he looked slow as molasses. in fact i'd venture to say it was so painful to watch him as a fan hobble around most of that time with the injury he had he made malik look like bure in comparison.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:11 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
ward wasn't soft by any means but he never looked decent to me during his stint that season.

he just wasn't a good fit for renney's defensive system and most of the time he looked slow as molasses. in fact i'd venture to say it was so painful to watch him as a fan hobble around most of that time with the injury he had he made malik look like bure in comparison.
Yea, he was injured a lot but he played through it. The guy blocked everything, wasn't afraid to hit or be hit, and did stick up for teammates. That type of style you do get injured a lot.

Sure he might have been an ass, and Jagr didn't like him..but he still gave it his all and I thought had a respectable career as a blueshirt. I have no regrets that we signed him a few years ago.

But seriously...Malik? I'd have a team of 6 wards on defense 100x over having a team of 6 maliks on defense.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:12 PM
BklyNYR4Life

this is obviously caught up in the emotion of seeing that video. but can i change my stance, and that I want shanny back?

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:19 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life View Post
this is obviously caught up in the emotion of seeing that video. but can i change my stance, and that I want shanny back?
no.......we all voted and said you can not

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
1. No one liked Ward
2. No one liked Ward.
3. No one liked Ward.
4. No one liked Ward.

And last but not least 5. No one liked Ward.
Really? Ward's been great in Boston and is like by everyone. Great leader and does well with the youngsters.

I couldn't be happier that he's in Boston.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by peantbuttapruchatime View Post
Mara > Ward
Really? In Boston Mara was pretty abysmal.

I guess both defensemen needed a change of scenery.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:30 PM
D713B

Anyone think thats Shanny's most memorable moment as a Blueshirt? I suppose the 600th goal is up there for some people but not for me, gotta go with the fight.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:31 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Well...seems like everyone is boston LOVES him..no surprise to me...still surprised we have a bunch of haters here.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=539946

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:33 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Really? Ward's been great in Boston and is like by everyone. Great leader and does well with the youngsters.

I couldn't be happier that he's in Boston.
i think the reason people dont like him is because he looked horrible in his small stint with the rangers and he was brought in to be that physical presensce like a komisarek or orpik and he didnt fit into the system.....he looks a lot better in boston and im happy for him and it turned out to be a good trade as both teams resigned both players.......overall i think the expectations were wrong for him considering he was going from carolina(run and gun) to NY(defense first) systems.........also it was said that jagr and he didnt get along and considering it was jagr's team it couldnt be tolerated.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:33 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:

I mean i haven't followed the bruins or ward at all..but as far as both of them as rangers..mara has been much more solid IMO...not great, but he has the potential to be much better and i hope he gets a bit more aggressive and shoots the puck more this season

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 06:18 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

YES!!!

Both teams should be happy right now.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 07:31 AM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Ward had a great resume coming in and I really had hi hopes for him with the Rangers, but just from his interviews he seemed like an ass that was very full of himself. He got the same treatment because of Jagr as Marc Savard got because of Messier. Sometimes guys just don't get along.
Savard never played with Messier. Maybe you're thinking of Nedved? But still, point well taken. Ward just didn't fit in the lockeroom with Jagr and his pals at the helm.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 08:28 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
wow, this is like.. what, only a year late?
I nearly had a stroke when I first saw this thread. I though, "Oh, ****, did we bring him back?!?!?" Seriously, odd timing here.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 08:31 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

i didn't hate him, because it really seemed like he was trying, but just couldn't quite fit into what was being asked of him. that being said, i like mara a lot better....

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 08:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Of all the Rangers to disparage, I fail to see why one of them should be Aaron Ward.

07-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
wow, this is like.. what, only a year late?
haha yep

we also got Mara out of Ward so it's a even deal to me

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:01 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

I'm not sure what people in NY were expecting (or got) from Ward that ticked them off so much? In Boston we thought Ward would be a solid stay at home D-man that played physical, blocked shots, etc., and that's exactly what he turned out to be. He has displayed great leadership skills on an off the ice (where he has done a bunch of charity work), and the only downside is the guy's age...I wish he was 5 yrs younger.

Not sure what Mara showed in NY, but B's fans think we got the better of that deal by a wide margin, if you are basing in on what we saw from both players. From what I heard the reason Mara didn't "fit" into the Ranger's system or lockerroom was because he called Jagr out for dogging it and not wanting to take part in the SO's when NY needed points. Given what he has done in Boston, and his Cup pedigree, it wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if that was the case. You could do a lot worse than Ward for a second-pair d-man, imo.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:06 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I'm not sure what people in NY were expecting (or got) from Ward that ticked them off so much? In Boston we thought Ward would be a solid stay at home D-man that played physical, blocked shots, etc., and that's exactly what he turned out to be. He has displayed great leadership skills on an off the ice (where he has done a bunch of charity work), and the only downside is the guy's age...I wish he was 5 yrs younger.

Not sure what Mara showed in NY, but B's fans think we got the better of that deal by a wide margin, if you are basing in on what we saw from both players. From what I heard the reason Mara didn't "fit" into the Ranger's system or lockerroom was because he called Jagr out for dogging it and not wanting to take part in the SO's when NY needed points. Given what he has done in Boston, and his Cup pedigree, it wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if that was the case. You could do a lot worse than Ward for a second-pair d-man, imo.
Some may disagree, but I remember Ward making a ton of mistakes in his own end and not at all living up to his defensive-defenseman pedigree. I wasn't expecting any type of superstar performance, bur rather just steady, physical play from the back end; I seem to remember being disappointed to that end.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:15 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Some may disagree, but I remember Ward making a ton of mistakes in his own end and not at all living up to his defensive-defenseman pedigree. I wasn't expecting any type of superstar performance, bur rather just steady, physical play from the back end; I seem to remember being disappointed to that end.
yeah, he was definitely shaky and suffered numerous mental lapses

we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:16 AM
BoyntBergie

2 questions for Rangers fans:

1. How did Ward come off as an ass in interviews? He's been nothing but a good ambassador and very affable as a Bruin.

2. What is this Savard-Messier item?

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:29 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Uhh, this was like a decade ago in hockey time.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:34 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
That's exactly what Ward has provided in Boston. Not sure why he didn't live up to his billing in NYC, but the B's have become a better team because of it.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
That's exactly what Ward has provided in Boston. Not sure why he didn't live up to his billing in NYC, but the B's have become a better team because of it.
That is just fantastic for you guys.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote