HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Koivu ? What kind of season for him?

Old
07-29-2008, 12:42 AM
KLu

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to KLu
Koivu ? What kind of season for him?

Last season was kind of disapointing point-wise for our greater than life, god-like, captain. Only 56 points in 75 games when he had 75 points the other season... a career high. I saw the real Koivu again in the playoffs when he got back from an injury to put up 9 points in 7 games and play the inspired way we were used to see him play. So, fellow boarders, what kind of season do you expect from Captain Kourage? Will he still be overshadowed by the great Alex? Will the other Alex prove a great addition to our beloved captain? Will he be put in a 2nd string role as a good 3rd offensive line?

What do you think?

As much as I kneel before him, I must admit that at some point he must come to realize that he cannot be the man to go anymore. Others are in front of him and he should be glad.

KLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLu View Post

As much as I kneel before him,Others are in front of him and he should be glad.
Ewwww, I don't like where this is headed.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 12:53 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

He'll get back to his 75-point season form...

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Stradale

If we dont sign Sundin, with the wingers we had and without Ryder, I think he will probably get around 70pts-75pts.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Kikizaz

20goals
40+assists
60+points
1StanleyCup

There is more to Koivu than numbers, we always play better when he is in the lineup.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 01:22 AM
TheAntiprice*

I don't care what type of offensive numbers he puts up this year...what he needs to do is be a lot more reliable defensively than he has been...he can't play half-ass on the defensive zone anymore, he's the team's captain and we have a lot of young guys on the team who all look up to him...he's like a combined -25 for the last two seasons, he's gotta straighten that out first and foremost.

TheAntiprice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 01:22 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
20goals
40+assists
60+points
1StanleyCup

There is more to Koivu than numbers, we always play better when he is in the lineup.
20 goals 55 assists
Awesome playoff performance and a stanley cup

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 02:46 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

If we lose out on Sundin and get Selanne to play with Koivu, I'd be willing to bet Koivu could set personal record numbers, playing with an actual goal scorer for once.

Latendresse can find his touch and Sergei on his line, he could be back to the 60-70 point player.

Though, I just want this man to get some good seasons under his belt while he can hopefully get a few people to look at him and say " You know, this man deserves a good chance to make it into the hall of fame/ have his number retired by the habs."

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 07:27 AM
mcphee

Health,pp time, linemates, figure that out and you can predict, but I'd say about 60 points. If they get more, it may not be a great sign, it means they need more.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Last season was kind of disapointing point-wise for our greater than life, god-like, captain. Only 56 points in 75 games when he had 75 points the other season... a career high. I saw the real Koivu again in the playoffs when he got back from an injury to put up 9 points in 7 games and play the inspired way we were used to see him play. So, fellow boarders, what kind of season do you expect from Captain Kourage? Will he still be overshadowed by the great Alex? Will the other Alex prove a great addition to our beloved captain? Will he be put in a 2nd string role as a good 3rd offensive line?

What do you think?

As much as I kneel before him, I must admit that at some point he must come to realize that he cannot be the man to go anymore. Others are in front of him and he should be glad.

I like Koivu but I think he needs to have a big season next year. If we sign Sundin, Koivu should be used in a 3rd line center, shutdown role.....that's where he would help the team the most based on his play last season.

His offensive game was nowhere to be seen all last season. He couldn't do anything with the puck, he couldn't carry the puck into the zone and setup goals and he didn't score on many of his chances. I seen last year as a huge disappointment for Koivu and if he doesn't turn it around.....it might be time to part ways with him....IMO.

I want a leader who is going to lead by his play on the ice. I don't care how good he may or may not be in the dressing room....I want someone who will go out and play hard every game and put points on the board because thats what a good leader is supposed to do. Thats what Sundin always done in Toronto. If the team was struggling and not scoring goals....Sundin always took it upon himself to put the puck in the net and lead the team with his play on the ice. Koivu has done it before....but not as often as a good leader should.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm not sure how many points Koivu will have during this upcoming season. But I predict that with or without the addition of Sundin. Koivu will finish the year as one of our top 5 point scorers.

07-29-2008, 08:09 AM
One

100+... PIM

One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Koivu will start strong, slowly fade away starting in January and come back stronger as the series arrive. A 50-60 pts season isnt unrealistic.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 08:16 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
100+... PIM

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 08:34 AM
habfan4

One thing I can predict is that Koivu won't be a "shut down" centre. People here get so caught up in line numbers or d-pairings that they sometimes look past how those traditional roles change depending on team depth. If Sundin were to sign with the Habs, Carbonneau would role three offensive lines (which would be nightmarish to try to counter for opposing coaches). If Sundin signs elsewhere or decides to retire then Koivu and Plekanec are the 1a and 1b centres (no particular order).

I also expect Saku's line to get a little more space (no matter the line up) as other teams rightly pay more attention to the Plekanec line.

Last edited by habfan4: 07-29-2008 at 08:44 AM. Reason: typos
habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:48 AM
HockeyF3ind

As others have pointed out a lot of this depends on Sundin signing or not....but in either case I think Koivu could very easily rack up 60-70 points if he stays healthy...and if Sundin signed and the lines gel nicely I could see Koivu getting 70+. Especially if the other teams spend their shut down players on a bigger Sundin or younger Pleky.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Puckhead58*

You guys are dreaming....Koivu is on his last legs. His battle with cancer, his battle back from a serious eye injury and everything else that has been an issue in Koivu's career is starting to take its tole...IMO. Last season he appeared to be slower, he wasn't able to do anything with the puck, he turned it over a lot and he took a lot of stupid penalties.

Maybe it was simply just an off season....I don't know....but one thing is for sure....Koivu needs to find his game and get back to the way he was 2 seasons ago when he scored 75 points.

If we DO sign Sundin, he automatically becomes the 1st line centermen, otherwise why would he bother signing here to play on the 2nd or 3rd line? If that is the case, Pleks becomes the #2 center with Koivu centering the 3rd line with Latendresse and S Kostitsyn.....or whoever else is left. He might not become a 3rd line, shutdown centerman, but if his wingers aren't good enough to put the puck in the net, they won't produce much offense so a shutdown role might suit them better.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Jakomyte

55-65 points... depends on his linemates and icetime...

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:26 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I am thinking somewhere in the middle of what he has put up the last two seasons. 15-20 goals
45-50 assists
+/-65pts

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

I would love for Carbo to stop using him on the PK. If so, I believe he'll surprise people and end up with 70+ points. It's all about using him less but more efficiently. Sure he's not getting any younger, chances are his linemates will be good complimentary players and will help get some great stats. Tanguay will be a neat addition to his line and if Higgins end up centering the 3rd line, SKosty will be a great addition. With Kosty and Tanguay on his line, you might even see Saku the goalscorer....

I really think he'll do well this year. Should be rejuvenate by the moves made by Bob.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Patty Roy

I think Koivu will improve on last years mediocre numbers.

- His very strong post season showed me he's still got it.

- His wingers will be stronger this season. He will likely play with Tanguay who is a better offensive player than Higgins. Whoever plays RW will be better than Ryder was last season.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

What do you think?

If Koivu gets to play with a better finisher(Lats A.Kost Selanne), I can see him getting back to around 70 points(20/25-45/50-70). I think Plekanec and Kovalev will see a bit of drop in production, especially if Sundin is added, you'll see more balanced an attack, with 3 lines that can put up 70-90 goals each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiprice View Post
I don't care what type of offensive numbers he puts up this year...what he needs to do is be a lot more reliable defensively than he has been...he can't play half-ass on the defensive zone anymore, he's the team's captain and we have a lot of young guys on the team who all look up to him...he's like a combined -25 for the last two seasons, he's gotta straighten that out first and foremost.

+- is more a team stat than individual stat. Koivu's spent a lot of time on the ice with guys like Ryder and Souray the last 2 years. He's above average defensively for sure.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-29-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Pr3Va1L

Agreed.

Being on the ice with Souray *cannot* help your +/- average

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
You guys are dreaming....Koivu is on his last legs. His battle with cancer, his battle back from a serious eye injury and everything else that has been an issue in Koivu's career is starting to take its tole...IMO. Last season he appeared to be slower, he wasn't able to do anything with the puck, he turned it over a lot and he took a lot of stupid penalties.

Maybe it was simply just an off season....I don't know....but one thing is for sure....Koivu needs to find his game and get back to the way he was 2 seasons ago when he scored 75 points.

If we DO sign Sundin, he automatically becomes the 1st line centermen, otherwise why would he bother signing here to play on the 2nd or 3rd line? If that is the case, Pleks becomes the #2 center with Koivu centering the 3rd line with Latendresse and S Kostitsyn.....or whoever else is left. He might not become a 3rd line, shutdown centerman, but if his wingers aren't good enough to put the puck in the net, they won't produce much offense so a shutdown role might suit them better.
I don't get it..
Is he on his last legs or was it an off season?..Which one is it.
If you don't know, then you shouldn't say he's on his last legs now should you??

We will see next year in what type of form he still is. You have the best example in your avatar pic. Kovalev was horrible, in 06-07, people were saying the same thing, he's finished, blablabla...
So we'll see how things turn out for Koivu next year.

As for his line if Sundin comes, Koivu will play on 3rd probably with Higgins and Lats. I don't see Higgins pairing up with Tanguay/Sundin. S.Kost is a much better fit.
So other than his Icetime maybe dropping a bit, I don't see much of a difference. And if we look at Carbo's mentality, using all 4lines. It wouldn't surprise me to see the top 3lines play just as much as one another. All 3lines would be able to be dominant offensively. We wouldn't need a shutdown line.

As for Koivu's production last year, if Higgins would have scored on most of the chances set up by Koivu, he'd have double the goals and Koivu another 20ish pts.

He did slow down, made bad judgments and took awful penalties. But to say he was downright horrible and didn't create squat is pushing it.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 01:00 PM
GoHabs20

45 points max.

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote