HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Ribeiro interview, talks Habs, Latendresse, Ryder

Old
07-29-2008, 09:00 AM
tiredman

vCash: 500
I remember that just before he got traded to the stars, I also thought it would be a good idea to move Ribeiro for a Dman.

Streit was unproven at the time... Komisarek was only a 5th/6th dman at the time... and Dandenault/Bouillon were bottom pairing dmans. So, a depth dman was needed...

Ribeiro had regressed (or seemed to) the year before and didn't play well enough in the playoffs. He was the #2 center at the time after Saku. We also had Plekanec who showed he had a good potential on the bottom lines of the team the season before... and it was the time to give a bigger role to Pleks in the team.

So, trading Ribeiro was an option and was a realistic one; the mistake is what he has been traded for. Yeah, it's possible he had little value at the time like some people say; though, if that's the case, you just don't trade him... especially for a player whom at 25% of his salary at the time, wouldn't even have been claimed on waivers (niinimaa also had a mediocre reputation at the time).

I don't really know if Gainey thought the same thing at the time but I think it's crazy to think only think Ribeiro's reputation got him out of montreal.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
jack johnson was there. Maybe he want to play in montreal
Jack Johnson and Sidney Crosby are really good friends and they both grew-up as big fans of the CH. Not saying they will play for the Habs, but I wouldn't be surprised if one day, one of the two ends-up playing for the Habs.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
I remember that just before he got traded to the stars, I also thought it would be a good idea to move Ribeiro for a Dman.

Streit was unproven at the time... Komisarek was only a 5th/6th dman at the time... and Dandenault/Bouillon were bottom pairing dmans. So, a depth dman was needed...

Ribeiro had regressed (or seemed to) the year before and didn't play well enough in the playoffs. He was the #2 center at the time after Saku. We also had Plekanec who showed he had a good potential on the bottom lines of the team the season before... and it was the time to give a bigger role to Pleks in the team.

So, trading Ribeiro was an option and was a realistic one; the mistake is what he has been traded for. Yeah, it's possible he had little value at the time like some people say; though, if that's the case, you just don't trade him... especially for a player whom at 25% of his salary at the time, wouldn't even have been claimed on waivers (niinimaa also had a mediocre reputation at the time).

I don't really know if Gainey thought the same thing at the time but I think it's crazy to think only think Ribeiro's reputation got him out of montreal.
I agree with you as Gainey himself has actually come out and stated that he was looking for defenseman. My only problem with the Ribeiro trade was it seemed to be rushed and not well thought out. This leads me to believe that Ribeiro caused a major problem, which caused Gainey to react quickly. Which from what we've seen from Gainey, is totally out of character.

07-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I agree with you as Gainey himself has actually come out and stated that he was looking for defenseman. My only problem with the Ribeiro trade was it seemed to be rushed and not well thought out. This leads me to believe that Ribeiro caused a major problem, which caused Gainey to react quickly. Which from what we've seen from Gainey, is totally out of character.
That's the most logical explanation, but BG bashers will never admit to such a possbility.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:35 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post

The talk at the previous deadline wa that they tried to acquire Halpern for him, but Washington wanted no part of him. That talk along with some comments made here and there, convinced me that no one wanted him. I think there was some talk about him out there and some GM's didn't want to touch him.

I think that Gainey was in a position that made dealing him a popular thing in the offices upsatirs. I don't think that he was out and out pressured but if enough writing is on the wall.....

I can't prove that because oddly, they never include me in these goings on, but that's what I believe. I think that they could've'should've done better than Janne but I'm not sure there was a market. I think he had exhausted the market the previous deadline.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Next Best Thing*

Gainey doesn't have time to see all the players in the league. Most likely the person who did the scouting report on Ninnimaa, was fired.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Gainey doesn't have time to see all the players in the league. Most likely the person who did the scouting report on Ninnimaa, was fired.
Euh.....who was fired in the Habs org.? Gauthier is still there to my knowledge....who else works at the professionnal scouting? Gordie Roberts, Doug Gibson...those guys will retire before they would be fired....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 02:35 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

I agree with Ribeiro on Tender.... but Tender is nowhere near Ribeiro's talent and if Tender doesn't make the effort he's gonna end up as a good 3rd liner in the NHL.

As for his share of view on Ryder, I couldn't care less about the redhead boy. I don't respect Ryder one bit since he started trowing paper airplanes in Philly while talking on his cellphone while we were losing badly.Serious lack of professionalism.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Euh.....who was fired in the Habs org.? Gauthier is still there to my knowledge....who else works at the professionnal scouting? Gordie Roberts, Doug Gibson...those guys will retire before they would be fired....
Then what happened, if you care to explain (or if you can).

Who's responsible for the worst habs trade in recent memory?

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 02:57 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:

Peanut\Tremblay
Roy.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:

Gainey is. In the end, does he has the final say? He needs to be accountable. And since we and the french medias keep talking about this trade to this date, chances are he knows and everybody know he made a mistake. Again, not necessarily by trading Ribeiro but to get a guy who was actually behind Jon Klemm in the depth chart......Sure Gauthier might have had a say, he probably did so he's at fault as well and anybody who suggested Niinimaa. Still, the fire and hire business is not attached to one great and one bad decision. If so Milbury would have been fired much earlier.....and Daniel Doré, Boston scout would not have been fired.....

Fired or not, it remained a bad decision, no question. I keep talking about it, time to move on.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Penalty Killer

I don't disagree with him on anything but Ryder. Bruins are gonna be choking on that contract. Raycroft and Ryder finished 1-2 in the Calder trophy race their rookie year. I think Ryder's going to follow along with his buddy Andy....

Penalty Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:28 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Thus the Beliveau's grandaughter story. Coroborated by François Gagnon last season.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Thus the Beliveau's grandaughter story. Coroborated by François Gagnon last season.
what happened ?

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Anyway.....Ribeiro is already right. Latendresse will become one of the greatest player in this league, 'cause who else would get 5 goals and 3 assists to led his team to a 9-4 win over the supposed 9th wonder of the world David Perron and his team in a tournament?

Stats for the tournament....

http://www.aboutdesouffle.qc.ca/statistiques.asp

Latendresse 2nd bes.....Lehoux...what a pickup....Danis sucks....Perreault still has it!!!
Quote:
Raphaël Robitaille Groupe GBM (Sherbrooke) 6 10 20 30
Is that who I think it is? THE Raphael?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
what happened ?
IIRC, Ribeiro try to hit on Beliveau's granddaughter at the golf tournament before the season beggining. Was his wife already pregnant? Anyway... doesn't mean he got traded for this specific reason. It may just have been an aggravating event.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
IIRC, Ribeiro try to hit on Beliveau's granddaughter at the golf tournament before the season beggining. Was his wife already pregnant? Anyway... doesn't mean he got traded for this specific reason. It may just have been an aggravating event.
I've had a class in CEGEP with her she is a pretty girl but she's damn tall maybe taller than Mike !

I was just curious about the story.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:51 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
Peanut\Tremblay
Roy.
It seems like there are still people out there who want clowns like peanut Houle and redneck-bleuet Tremblay back...I really don't get it?
They're the clowns who caused Roy (2 cups + 1 cup finals as hab) to leave + received absolute crap in return (good boy/nice boy "Charlie Brown" Thibault, Ru****sky, Kovalenko...I swear on my life when I heard about receiving Thibault/Rucisnky/Kovalenko I was absolutely depressed).

Ribs? Gainey did so well to get rid of his ****ing gangster face and his "ftw, too cool for all of you, I'm all $$$" attitude.

We don't need s*** like that in the CH organization.

Good for Dallas that he is doing well over there...OVER THERE (as far away possible from Montreal), not here in Montreal (good riddance).

**** Ribs.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 07-30-2008 at 06:07 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 05:29 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
If you read between the lines, it may look like he was blaming the Habs organization but you might interpret it differently.
For me I see someone who would have liked to stay here (was he extatic to leave? don't think so, he was in shock).
I see the comment of someone who was kicked out of here and as finished to regain his composure. We were not there but the "sourire en coin" could have reflected deception...

Let's agree that this is your interpretation and that this is clear for you and not for me.

Are we going to blame him for what we interpret of his words?
Well, I'm not the one who ended the sentence with "c'était pas assez", and a "sourire en coin" could mean anything but a deception... depection would be a "rire jaune" or something...

what would he be sad about anyway, his 5M$ contract ? his 80+ pts season ? playing with a guy he gels with perfectly ? being the #1 C on his team ? his coaches trusting him ?

So yeah, it is my interpretation of all this, and yes I blame him for the stupid comments he made... and will keep doing so as long as he keep making thoses stupid comments.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 09:32 AM
NLfan56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
I agree with Ribeiro on Tender.... but Tender is nowhere near Ribeiro's talent and if Tender doesn't make the effort he's gonna end up as a good 3rd liner in the NHL.

As for his share of view on Ryder, I couldn't care less about the redhead boy. I don't respect Ryder one bit since he started trowing paper airplanes in Philly while talking on his cellphone while we were losing badly.Serious lack of professionalism.
For everybody's information, it was Grabovsky who was throwing the paper planes & the reporter who first printed this info knows that but decided to pick on Ryder because, imo, he thought that Grabs would continue to be a part of the habs org but took it for granted that Ryder would be gone.

NLfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote