HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you trade for Rob Schremp??

Old
07-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
I don't know why any team would have the luxury to not look at a player based on what he looked like, was or had the reputation to be, from years ago.....

How about getting some new informations on the guy. Did he finally matured? How's his work ethic NOW not 5 years ago....Anybody really know what he's all about today? Or do we only have an opinion based on his Junior days?

While most people thought he would only be the guy with the fancy moves but will never be effective in the Pros...the guy finished 8th amongst the league, almost 1PPG...-15, so needs work in his defensive zone though wasn't really playing in the greatest team out there and wasn't the worst as far as that stat is concerned.

We do not have the depth at the center position to just write off a player based on what happened in the past. Talent is still there despite what everybody thought. I wouldn't give the whole Hamilton Bulldogs for him though but at a fair price, it could be considered.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Sam I Am

If Corey Locke had suddenly grown two inches and added thirty pounds, I'm not so sure Gainey would have dealt him.

The Oilers have acquired Gilbert Brule. If the Oilers want to dump Rob Shremp, I say bring him on. He's all of twenty-two years old and:

2007-08

Springfield AHL 78 23 53 76

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:04 AM
shutehinside

If we could trade Janne Ninniima for Schremp, I'd do it in a second!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

If we could get him cheap, I'd be all for it...but you have to remember is is an AHL version of Mike Ryder, one dimensional player...he doesn't seem like the Habs type of player.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 11:51 AM
JrHockeyFan

Schremp came within an eyelash of making the Oilers as a 19 year old. He went back to Jr and had a good year. Handled the whole thing very well. As I recall he was called up as a black ace for the playoffs by the oilers. After that a lot of rumours were floating around about Schremp being a bit too gung ho and speaking out of turn in the locker room. Nothing bad just rah rah kind of stuff is what I heard.

His OA year he played for the Oilers AHL team which at that time was Scranton Wilkes Barre I believe. The Oil keep wanting to split with another team so they have had several arrangements. He hurt his knee, but came back and played fairly well.

His second season at Springfield in the AHL he led the team in scoring at a point a game clip. Made the all star team. Had a very good year considering the previous year injury (knee I believe).

He was called up once by the Oilers who were extremely short handed at the time due to injuries. He got 4 minutes in one game and did not play the second game and was unceremoniously sent to the airport. The only comment McTavish had was that Schremp was not ready yet or something to that effect.

McTavish/Lowe (not sure which but I suspect McTavish) have not really given the kid any chance to show if he is ready or not. From having watched the kid play 3 yrs of Jr I can say this:

He is more than just a shootout highlite reel player. I find that to be a simplified knock for no good reason. He is certainly innovative in his puck handling skills

He has very good puck handling skills and a great shot. Those skills alone should have merited a better look-see from the oilers

He plays with a lot of emotion that may rub a lot of folks the wrong way. But the kid wants to win

Despite a rep for being too talky and so forth, he has kept pretty quiet about how the Oilers have handled him.

Frankly I don't think the Oilers are ever going to give the kid a fair shot so long as the present coach is there. Last year was an excellent opportunity for the Oilers to test his skills and they did not. I can't see how things are going to get any better

If we can pick him up for the right price it would be a very good move. He has the ability to play in the league I am sure

Last edited by JrHockeyFan: 07-29-2008 at 04:09 PM.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

If anybody wants some good solid info on Rob Schremp just talk to BBO on the Oilers board.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 01:00 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Dandenault for Shremp sure.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 01:18 PM
danyhabsfan

halak dandenault vs roloson schremp

add pick ou prospect to even this out

edmonton could use halak
garon/halak tandem is not bad

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Passchendaele

Schremp is underrated. A lot.

The guy was having attitude issues at the junior level, but is it really uncommon for a 17-18 year old kid?

Schremp was a way different player this year in the AHL. He worked his ass off. I don't like the Locke comparison. Because Locke could only dream of having a spot on an NHL roster. Schremp will likely be at least a 2nd line center. He outscored the 2nd best point producer on his team by 29 points.

He'd be overhyped if the Canadiens had taken him 18th overall in 2004.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
halak dandenault vs roloson schremp

add pick ou prospect to even this out

edmonton could use halak
garon/halak tandem is not bad
Roloson is paid far more than dandenault.... this trade means no sundin... so i say wait for sundin first.

Even if we dont' get sundin, i still think Halak is a good goalie prospect and I'm not looking at giving him up for Schremp....

How about
Dandenault + Fischer for Schremp.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:02 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Dandy + Weber for schremp, yes. no question.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
How about Dandenault + Fischer for Schremp.
Actually getting rid of Dandy's contract for this year might be equivalent to the Oilers getting a body....And Fischer is still very very much unproven to say the least even if he has some fine potential. I think that if we're ready to part with a prospect, it would need to be a guy like Weber, White or Subban. Schremp finishing 8th amongst scorers last year needs to be recognize at some point. And the 3 guys I have named may have the best value while they may not be ABSOLUTELY necessary to our progression. I would not involve McDonagh and MaxPac obviously 'cause they would be keys to our team in the next future. But 1 of the 3 for a centerman as talented as Schremp or a guy like O'Sullivan would really need to be looked at.

Or we don't care about centermen and we start racking them at the next drafts the same way we did when we start racking d-men in the past drafts.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:32 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
How about
Does Dandenault not have a negative trade value?

On another note, I'm pleased that a few more positive opinions about Schremp have surfaced. In any event, it may be too late, if we are to believe the posts on the Oilers board that have their team going with 3 scoring lines, and Schremp centering the 3rd.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:39 PM
workedforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
No thanks. If Schremp didn't have those fancy shootout moves, none of us would even know his name.
I think a few goalies remember his name...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYrJ-khizCo

workedforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 03:50 PM
CH4

Quote:
Roloson is paid far more than dandenault.... this trade means no sundin... so i say wait for sundin first.

Even if we dont' get sundin, i still think Halak is a good goalie prospect and I'm not looking at giving him up for Schremp....

How about
I would be willing to do that... even if I'm not so sure we would do well trading Fisher; this might haunt us later. You need to give something so yes, he is probably the more affordable at this point.

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 04:22 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
Schremp is underrated. A lot.

The guy was having attitude issues at the junior level, but is it really uncommon for a 17-18 year old kid?

Schremp was a way different player this year in the AHL. He worked his ass off. I don't like the Locke comparison. Because Locke could only dream of having a spot on an NHL roster. Schremp will likely be at least a 2nd line center. He outscored the 2nd best point producer on his team by 29 points.

He'd be overhyped if the Canadiens had taken him 18th overall in 2004.
I agree. Schremp and Locke are not comparable at all.

As for his Jr attitude issues, Dale Hunter actually benched him a period during a deciding game against Guelph for not playing 2 way hockey in 2004. His agent moaned and groaned but Schremp said nothing except that he knew he had to play a better defensive game and made no excuses.

He may have had attitude issues but he never ever whined when disciplined by coaches.

When he failed to make the Oilers as a 19 yr old, he came back and worked extra hard. He actually handled it better than Sergei K did when he was told by Timmins that he would play another year of Jr. Sergei sulked a bit but came around after a few weeks.

These are really motivated kids who want to play in the NHL. In the final analysis we need to remember that at that age they are basically still kids

Schremp also had a good attitude about a lot of team issues in Jr. When he made the US team and London was losing several players, Rob stayed until the last possible moment to play a couple of extra regular season games.

Great highlite reel moment in 2005 was when Schremp scored a goal on a delayed penalty that went 1 min 24 seconds. His stick handling skills and passing skills(and that of his team-mates too) kept the puck moving until his snapper from the faceoff circle. It was pretty impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9G0TOCZXvY

Last edited by JrHockeyFan: 07-29-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old
07-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Spawn

Its remarkable how little of Schremp you guys know. Schremp isn't in the NHL because he isn't fast/strong enough yet. Not because he doesn't work hard, not because of some mythical bad attitude. He hurt his knee at the end of the 06-07 season and wasn't able to train in the off-season.

So far during the summer he has been getting outstanding reviews from the Oilers head trainer, Chad Moreau, and other team mates.

Another thing. The last thing the Oilers need is more prospects on defense. We've got more than enough. If anything we need goal scoring winger prospects.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 07:42 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Its remarkable how little of Schremp you guys know. Schremp isn't in the NHL because he isn't fast/strong enough yet. Not because he doesn't work hard, not because of some mythical bad attitude. He hurt his knee at the end of the 06-07 season and wasn't able to train in the off-season.

So far during the summer he has been getting outstanding reviews from the Oilers head trainer, Chad Moreau, and other team mates.

Another thing. The last thing the Oilers need is more prospects on defense. We've got more than enough. If anything we need goal scoring winger prospects.
I think you are half right and half wrong. You are correct he is fast enough and strong enough

I would almost agree with you except for the way that mctavish treated him last year. Dropping the kid off at the airport in Phoenix without playing was just not right. It was just plain shabby and the kid sucked it up.

Where the attitude rumours start is the inexplicably crappy way Mctavish has handled the kid. People want to know what the deal is, so stuff gets made up. Pretty simple really.

Old
07-29-2008, 09:58 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

he is a side show and thats it.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Passchendaele

The guy played junior hockey full-time at age 14 and finished 2nd in scoring on his team, behind an 18-year old. Not a small feat.

Old
07-29-2008, 10:07 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
The guy played junior hockey full-time at age 14 and finished 2nd in scoring on his team, behind an 18-year old. Not a small feat.
Yeah and it shows by how good he is in the NHL. Like Cleary and Daigle too, superstars.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Yeah and it shows by how good he is in the NHL. Like Cleary and Daigle too, superstars.
Daigle never liked playing hockey in the NHL. He got a huge contract before playing his 1st pro season. He had no reason to play with determination. He could have been a decent NHLer, mind you.

Old
07-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Actually getting rid of Dandy's contract for this year might be equivalent to the Oilers getting a body....And Fischer is still very very much unproven to say the least even if he has some fine potential. I think that if we're ready to part with a prospect, it would need to be a guy like Weber, White or Subban. Schremp finishing 8th amongst scorers last year needs to be recognize at some point. And the 3 guys I have named may have the best value while they may not be ABSOLUTELY necessary to our progression. I would not involve McDonagh and MaxPac obviously 'cause they would be keys to our team in the next future. But 1 of the 3 for a centerman as talented as Schremp or a guy like O'Sullivan would really need to be looked at.

Or we don't care about centermen and we start racking them at the next drafts the same way we did when we start racking d-men in the past drafts.
Don't compare Schremp and O'Sullivan right now.... O'Sullivan has proven ability in the NHL, Schremp hasn't.

O'Sullivan's Value >>>>>> Schremp's Value
at this moment in time.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Kikizaz

meh, id rather we not.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:13 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Where the attitude rumours start is the inexplicably crappy way Mctavish has handled the kid. People want to know what the deal is, so stuff gets made up. Pretty simple really.
Schremp reportedly had attidue issues before he was drafted. Thats one of the reasons he fell in the draft. How MacT has treated him has nothing to do with it. Schremp wasn't ready for the NHL last year physically. Hopefully this year with a strong off-season of training that changes.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote