HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The Islanders on the Taveras Express

Old
07-29-2008, 06:38 PM
DPSNAGS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtown31 View Post
Agreed. We have one of the worst rosters in the league top to bottom, play in a brutal division and have no coach as of July 28th. Best we can hope for IMHO is that the younger players make some major strides after the All-Star break and provide some optimism heading towards 2009-10 and beyond...

I actually think the Islanders are finally headed in the right direction... but it ain't gonna be pretty the next 1-2 seasons...
i actually think we can still in the mix like last year if dp plays well...

just look at the opening day roster from last year and our team is not that much worse...you will see it depends how the young players play but if they do good then we got a chance not to make the playoffs but to be in the mix...

subtractions to team: satan, tank, vasichek, bergeron and simon from deadline

additions to team; tambellini, okposo, comeau, streit, nielsen, weight

i think the additions make our team better but i might be the only oen who shares that opinion...and realize john sim only played 2 games last year so its like hes another ufa signing...our team can surpise people depending on how dp plays, if dp plays well turn some faces, if he injured his hip for the 3rd time then by all means were in the tavares race

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 11:49 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPSNAGS View Post
i actually think we can still in the mix like last year if dp plays well...

just look at the opening day roster from last year and our team is not that much worse...you will see it depends how the young players play but if they do good then we got a chance not to make the playoffs but to be in the mix...

subtractions to team: satan, tank, vasichek, bergeron and simon from deadline

additions to team; tambellini, okposo, comeau, streit, nielsen, weight

i think the additions make our team better but i might be the only oen who shares that opinion...and realize john sim only played 2 games last year so its like hes another ufa signing...our team can surpise people depending on how dp plays, if dp plays well turn some faces, if he injured his hip for the 3rd time then by all means were in the tavares race
Can't underestimate Nolan. I'm not sold on the fact that he was the "right" coach for the Islanders long-term but he could turn chicken **** into chicken salad (for better or worse). No way of knowing whether the next coach will have that quality to him (maybe he'll be a great teacher of young players and X's and O's guy instead or whatever). I just don't see how the Islanders plan to be competitive w/o a coach as we head towards August... and I suspect they don't really plan to be...

Anyway, the fact that the Isles qualified in 06-07 and over-achieved in 07-08 was almost entirely the work of Nolan and DiPietro IMHO. Half of that equation is now gone...

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 05:08 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Well they could have had an even more series building block in Filatov or Pietrianglo this year as well, I mean they added a lot of depth, but still. Isn't that Hedman kid or whatever his name is suppose to be as good if not better then Tavares? So even with the Lottery, if they finish dead last, they have a very good chance of getting one of the two.
Pietrianglo was gone before Isles pick. Isles will probably win and get the 1st pick overall and stupid Garth Snow will trade back

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 09:31 AM
bogans

I'm not worried, if Jonathan Tavares or Viktor Hedman or Magnus Svennson-Paajarvi land in the Isles lap, they will either find a way to screw them up or trade them for Andrew Brunette. If the Isles management could get one thing right I might get worried about them being near the top of the draft next year. Seems difficult to mess up but I am sure they would.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 10:36 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
That is the problem DP will probably end up having another surgery at the mid-end of the season....again.
Agreed. DP's health is a big issue for for the f'sticks. For their sake I hope they have a few decent keeper prospects in the mix in case DP lands on the table one too many times.

Who knows tho, a season-ending injury just might be what it takes to beat out the Thrash for the 1st pick. A healthy DP in the mix keeps them out of the cellar IMO.

I've said it before, I hate the f'sticks on the ice but their fans and the NHL deserve better.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Dude we have Redden for the next 6 years!
Yep, that shouldn't be forgotten.

Now, Wade has obviously etched himself a good all-round image as a solid two-way defenseman (see that huge contract).

If I might add though, I saw Ottawa play a lot at the end of last season and watched several playoff games and Wade was hand down, the worst player on the ice.

Uncharacteristically poor passes were being made, several being of true "suicide pass" character. He made an unexpectedly high amount of blind dish-offs of the puck to avoid checks. His offensive numbers have dropping as well.

Now, sure, every player has some lows - I remember when Larry Murphy was gawd-awful at the end of his time with the Capitals, only to have his best years follow with Pittsburgh - but you guys better hope that Redden rebounds immediately, because he wasn't playing NHL hockey the last I saw of him.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtown31 View Post
No way of knowing whether the next coach will have that quality to him (maybe he'll be a great teacher of young players and X's and O's guy instead or whatever).
Simply put, deciding on the next coach is going to be Snow's biggest and most important decision yet. With some highly-touted candidates, taking a guy like perhaps Gordon would be a HUGE risk, even if there is some real wisdom to it. Any true assessment of the situation/decision as a failure and the hockey world will scorn Snow immensely!

Old
07-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
Who knows tho, a season-ending injury just might be what it takes to beat out the Thrash for the 1st pick. A healthy DP in the mix keeps them out of the cellar IMO.

I've said it before, I hate the f'sticks on the ice but their fans and the NHL deserve better.
I think we honestly need to assume that Dipietro is gonna struggle. The guy has had head problems, but more importantly, he's coming off an arthroscopic knee surgery (which doesn't have to be all that serious) and another hip operation (now BOTH hips have been operated on) and was reportedly still not walking well at the prospects camp. Sure, much can and should happen healthwise leading into camp, but I for one am assuming that the Ricky of last season will not be present for most of this season, so to speak.

Expect MacDonald and Danis to get plenty of starts this year, regardless of who the new coach is.

And yes.... as such, the Tavares express will be even moreso in full speed.

Old
07-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
I'm not worried, if Jonathan Tavares or Viktor Hedman or Magnus Svennson-Paajarvi land in the Isles lap, they will either find a way to screw them up or trade them for Andrew Brunette. If the Isles management could get one thing right I might get worried about them being near the top of the draft next year. Seems difficult to mess up but I am sure they would.
Well, on the other hand, this team is sooooooooo desperate for a beam of light in the form of a franchise player, that I do not see them passing on Hedman/Tavares or WHOEVER may be the topflight #1 or 2 next summer (who knows who may sneak in).

At the moment, the team already has 3 second rounders too. Wouldn't be surprised to see them even move a few of those to get another first rounder.

Just feel the draft strategy next summer will be completely different to that of this summer - namely quality over quantity.

And if so, that will have made the moves at this summer's draft much more rational.