HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Sirius XM Merger Approved

Old
07-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Yeah, he didn't give any programming specific updates, which is reasonable being that the merger was only approved a couple of days ago. It seemed like the initial feeling is that everyone will be able to keep their existing service, and then pay an additional fee ($4 or so) to add certain channels from the other service. In the end, it sounds like they're going for a cable TV type package, where you pay $12.95 for basic service and then add-on premium channels for additional cash.

I'm personally bummed out about this, because I thought the whole point of the merger was to streamline operations and attract more customers. They should just combine both services and eliminate any redundant channels and give everybody everything for the same price. This would still save the new company money (fewer overall channels), and would definitely attract new customers. This won't happen though.
Here's what I do know:

1. No price increase for three years
  2. Program integration within 3 months
  3. Interoperable radios within 9 months
  4. Allowing 3rd parties to develop radios to include terrestrial radio reception, HD radio, and MP3 inputs
You can read about the details of the deal here: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...ml?q=XM+merger

I was hoping Mel would expand on items 3 & 4.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:42 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Here's what I do know:

1. No price increase for three years
  2. Program integration within 3 months
  3. Interoperable radios within 9 months
  4. Allowing 3rd parties to develop radios to include terrestrial radio reception, HD radio, and MP3 inputs
You can read about the details of the deal here: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...ml?q=XM+merger

I was hoping Mel would expand on items 3 & 4.
I read some months ago that XM and Sirius equipment were incompatible and basically all the merger meant was that when you purchase a new subscription you either choose the "xm" or "sirius" package. Is this not the case?

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:46 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I read some months ago that XM and Sirius equipment were incompatible and basically all the merger meant was that when you purchase a new subscription you either choose the "xm" or "sirius" package. Is this not the case?
Right now u buy either one. Lets say u buy a Sirius radio. You get all the Sirius stations and then in september or october, whenever channel integration begins, you can pick packages from XM AND still keep your original Sirius stations. But eventually i think you will buy a radio and u can pick everything you want.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I'm personally bummed out about this, because I thought the whole point of the merger was to streamline operations and attract more customers. They should just combine both services and eliminate any redundant channels and give everybody everything for the same price. This would still save the new company money (fewer overall channels), and would definitely attract new customers. This won't happen though.
It sounded like he was saying that the XM satellite cannot broadcast to a Sirius receiver and vice versa. You would be cutting off 1/2 the equipment out there if you broadcast only on one stream. The goal seems to be utilizing the full life of the satellites and not have to send subscribers out for new equipment, particularly those whose came factory installed in their vehicles.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:58 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Opie and Anthony and the NFL, it's a beautiful thing

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 10:33 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Opie and Anthony and the NFL, it's a beautiful thing
And Ron and Fez and the NHL too.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 06:40 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
It sounded like he was saying that the XM satellite cannot broadcast to a Sirius receiver and vice versa. You would be cutting off 1/2 the equipment out there if you broadcast only on one stream. The goal seems to be utilizing the full life of the satellites and not have to send subscribers out for new equipment, particularly those whose came factory installed in their vehicles.
Exactly. I believe the plan is to offer the "exclusive" content from each service on both satellites. Lord knows they have enough bandwidth.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote