HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Filppula re-signs 5yr $15mil

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-30-2008, 03:00 PM
  #76
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD View Post
Hossa will not be sigend if he expects 7.5/8 mil a year.

Things get interesting if they both take a Datsyuk Deal [6.7 a year]
I would be suprised if they do.

Hossa wont be resigned after next year, its a one year "cup chasing", then he'll go back to the highest bidder.

Zetterberg knows about his own value, no need to give that much home discount, if I was he's agent I'll would try to make him realize that. He'll probably give some though maybe landing somewhere near Lidström.

If Franzens next season will be "too" good, then maybe he will be lost for Detroit, although I pretty sure he'll give some discount as well, Detroit is a good club for the swedes, and they probably knows that they fit in there better than many other clubs, however money does talk. If some other good NHL club would offer him good money over several years as well as a key role, I would try to talk him into take it, were I his agent.

Of course how all these players really think I don't know, but it's pretty rare that player give huge "discounts". The money you make is also a kind of status thing. If you only make average wage, you're often seen as a average player.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:09 PM
  #77
hdw
Registered User
 
hdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
I would be suprised if they do.
<snip>
Zetterberg knows about his own value, no need to give that much home discount, if I was he's agent I'll would try to make him realize that. He'll probably give some though maybe landing somewhere near Lidström.
Zetterberg's value is kind of equal to the other Eurotwin.

I do believe him when he says that he wants to stay a Red Wing and a contract similar to Pavel's seems likely for Hank.

He can get a lot more with other teams, but I think he'll sign a Datsyukish deal with Red Wings, much to the annoyance of the other 29 teams.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:12 PM
  #78
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby
 
RoyBoyCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lennoxville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,090
vCash: 500
this contract will look like a steal when its in it's 3rd-5th year

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:23 PM
  #79
dtones520
Registered User
 
dtones520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 3,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
I would be suprised if they do.

Hossa wont be resigned after next year, its a one year "cup chasing", then he'll go back to the highest bidder.

Zetterberg knows about his own value, no need to give that much home discount, if I was he's agent I'll would try to make him realize that. He'll probably give some though maybe landing somewhere near Lidström.

If Franzens next season will be "too" good, then maybe he will be lost for Detroit, although I pretty sure he'll give some discount as well, Detroit is a good club for the swedes, and they probably knows that they fit in there better than many other clubs, however money does talk. If some other good NHL club would offer him good money over several years as well as a key role, I would try to talk him into take it, were I his agent.

Of course how all these players really think I don't know, but it's pretty rare that player give huge "discounts". The money you make is also a kind of status thing. If you only make average wage, you're often seen as a average player.
Few things, Hossa and Holland have both said that they want to work something out long term in Detroit. The one year deal gives them just that, one year to figure out how and if they can do it, all while trying to keep Franzen and Zetterberg. Next year Detroit has $15.1 million in space going into the off season. If the Cap does not go up they have that much to sign Zetterberg, Franzen, Hossa, Hudler, Samuelsson and Kopecky.

Why is it so out of the question that Zetterberg signs a deal similar to Datsyuk's? Zetterberg has stated he wants to stay in Detroit, he said he cant believe he makes so much money to play hockey and that he is confident he will be in Detroit long term. So I'm going to assume that he signs for $6.7 a year as well, he wont sign for more than what Lidstrom makes, so the most he gets is $7.4. At $6.7 million Detroit has $8.4 million in space for Hossa, Franzen, Hudler, Sammy and Kopecky.

Now, let me throw this out there, I think Lilja is going to be moved, so that frees up $1.2 million in space, giving us $9.6 million and I think that the Cap goes up after the season, probably around $3-4 million. If the Cap goes up that much Detroit can very easily sign Hossa, Franzen and Kopecky. If I were doing it I'd go $6.7mill, $4mill and $800,000 and Detroit will have about $1-2 million in space. Which also means that Hudler and Sammy are gone, and I think they are going to be. If the Cap doesnt go up, Hudler likely stays, but I think they may trade him this season.

I really dont think it is very out of the question that Hossa, Z and Franzen stay in Detroit long term, as long as the Cap goes up, even if it goes up just slightly.

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:38 PM
  #80
Adityase
Registered User
 
Adityase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Troy, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,409
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Adityase
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Cleary got 2.8M per. Which I like, because Filppula and Cleary are more similar than people will admit.
Similar than what? I certainly wouldn't say the two are similar, but as forwards they're more similar than say either one compared to a goalie.

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:41 PM
  #81
5H4RK5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 500
That is a damn good deal. I sure wish we had a couple of our guys signed.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:41 PM
  #82
Adityase
Registered User
 
Adityase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Troy, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,409
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Adityase
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
They'd be beyond moronic to dump Sammy before Hudler. If they trade Lilja, then they bring up Meech full time which makes sammy expendable on the 2nd unit PP.
Disagree. Hossa displaces Sammy quite well out of the top 6. Aside from the deadly sniper stuff Hossa adds, he's actually very similar as a big body who is defensively sound. The difference is instead of shooting and missing a lot, he should shoot and score a lot. The only thing Sammy does that Hossa doesn't is agitate.

Sammy is totally expendable now. Hudler has offensive upside and has found a niche on the power play playing between the boards and the circles.

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:45 PM
  #83
Adityase
Registered User
 
Adityase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Troy, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,409
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Adityase
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_speedster View Post
The duration works but the dollar amount I feel is too much for a very one dimensional fringe player tha'd have a hard time being a full time nhl'er on a weaker team...

plus his little rat face annoys me

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:50 PM
  #84
Adityase
Registered User
 
Adityase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Troy, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,409
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Adityase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Maybe you just don't understand the work what Holland has done to build this team so attractive, that superstars want to play at Wings "for free".

He has been the Red Wings GM for 11 years and is responsible for all the good things that now are happening.

All credit getting Hossa goes to Holland by 100%, when you just think a little bit this situation.
Think you're over doing it a bit. The Hossa signing should exist in a vacuum. It's the only time and probably will be the only time someone signs a deal that risky for the benefit of a team. Even when guys were restructuring contracts it wasn't quite like this. They were still getting paid what they were worth. And that Hossa wanted to do it definitely amounts to him falling in the team's lap. As for the culture of the Wings... that's Mike Illich's doing. Holland's played a role, but I'm not giving him that yet. And frankly our culture can just as easily push players away since they know they can't get top dollar here. Let's enjoy the work AND circumstances that have given us this great team. Cause assigning credit to good luck is a bit silly...

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:51 PM
  #85
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 15,246
vCash: 639
He is talented, but is he worth this yet? And 5 years...

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:52 PM
  #86
Schroedingers Cat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adityase View Post
Disagree. Hossa displaces Sammy quite well out of the top 6. Aside from the deadly sniper stuff Hossa adds, he's actually very similar as a big body who is defensively sound. The difference is instead of shooting and missing a lot, he should shoot and score a lot. The only thing Sammy does that Hossa doesn't is agitate.

Sammy is totally expendable now. Hudler has offensive upside and has found a niche on the power play playing between the boards and the circles.
Dumping Hudler now would be absolutely moronic. The guy improves his speed and skating every year, and gets better in both ends all the time. His growth has been far superior to Flip's and it's a travesty he plays on the fourth line.

Hey, who else got into the NHL as an undersized skilled forward, was pigeonholed by hardass coaches, worked his ass off to improve his speed, skating, and strength, and became an elite player? I'll give you a hint: He plays for Tampa Bay.

Schroedingers Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:58 PM
  #87
Mr Scarface*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 14,906
vCash: 500
Cheap, Detroit is the master organization of the World. My World that is. Respect, Wings fans. Our Sharks will give a great challenge to ya'll, but let's see, your team is so talented and experienced. Respect. Filppula is one of those players.... He does it all. So much talent going on, I hope he has trained hard and plays with natural talent, not with steroids or anything like that. That would be a shame, but I'm sure he's clean, fresh and good. He's a fine player indeed, he that good mane. He cool mane, he cool.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:02 PM
  #88
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 10,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtones520 View Post
Now, let me throw this out there, I think Lilja is going to be moved, so that frees up $1.2 million in space, giving us $9.6 million and I think that the Cap goes up after the season, probably around $3-4 million. If the Cap goes up that much Detroit can very easily sign Hossa, Franzen and Kopecky. If I were doing it I'd go $6.7mill, $4mill and $800,000 and Detroit will have about $1-2 million in space. Which also means that Hudler and Sammy are gone, and I think they are going to be. If the Cap doesnt go up, Hudler likely stays, but I think they may trade him this season.

I really dont think it is very out of the question that Hossa, Z and Franzen stay in Detroit long term, as long as the Cap goes up, even if it goes up just slightly.
I agree definitely on this. Have calculated quite same kind of scenario.

Trade Lillypads for pick, let Sammy go as UFA and trade Hudler for pick. Call youths up from Rapids. That's the way Kenny makes miracles happen.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:04 PM
  #89
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 10,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat View Post
Dumping Hudler now would be absolutely moronic. The guy improves his speed and skating every year, and gets better in both ends all the time. His growth has been far superior to Flip's and it's a travesty he plays on the fourth line.
If we can keep Hossa by let Hudler go, would you do it in a heartbeat?

Just think a second!

Hudler is asking the same 3 million after next season, we can afford that, but then we can't definitely afford Hossa. But if we trade Huds away and keep Hossa, I'd be more happy than getting married with Jessica Alba.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:13 PM
  #90
hdw
Registered User
 
hdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I agree definitely on this. Have calculated quite same kind of scenario.

Trade Lillypads for pick, let Sammy go as UFA and trade Hudler for pick. Call youths up from Rapids. That's the way Kenny makes miracles happen.
Kenny really needs to make miracles happen if you really believe in that.

Are you following the NHL for real or are you stuck in some fantasy league?

Picks and prospects is going to defend our Stanley Cup how?

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:16 PM
  #91
dtones520
Registered User
 
dtones520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 3,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
If we can keep Hossa by let Hudler go, would you do it in a heartbeat?

Just think a second!

Hudler is asking the same 3 million after next season, we can afford that, but then we can't definitely afford Hossa. But if we trade Huds away and keep Hossa, I'd be more happy than getting married with Jessica Alba.
Plus, if we trade Hudler this year, it's not like we dont have guys to fill his spot on the 4th line, be it Helm, Leino, Abdelkader, whoever. Hudler isnt that good, if you ask me. He is good offensively, and is improving, but he is still not very good defensively. Just my opinion on the guy.

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:33 PM
  #92
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 47,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Maybe you just don't understand the work what Holland has done to build this team so attractive, that superstars want to play at Wings "for free".

He has been the Red Wings GM for 11 years and is responsible for all the good things that now are happening.

All credit getting Hossa goes to Holland by 100%, when you just think a little bit this situation.
I understand Holland's work perfectly. I was speaking about the Hossa signing in isolation, which I could've brokered.

The scenario reminds me about a story of how Beethoven played a purposely shoddy passage on the piano and everyone at the concert applauded wildly because of his reputation and their lack of critical evaluation. Not every move by a genius is a work of genius. Holland's great work in assembling the Wings and making prudent signings enabled him to accept the deal, but the negotiation itself was a piece of cake and not praise-worthy in the slightest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Zetterberg's value is kind of equal to the other Eurotwin.

I do believe him when he says that he wants to stay a Red Wing and a contract similar to Pavel's seems likely for Hank.


He can get a lot more with other teams, but I think he'll sign a Datsyukish deal with Red Wings, much to the annoyance of the other 29 teams.
They're pretty equal now, but the market's changed, and when Datsyuk got his deal he was widely considered a playoff no-show. Zetterberg is under completely different circumstances. Hell, Datsyuk wouldn't have signed Datsyuk's deal if he were an FA next year - his contract was considered high when he signed it.

Warm Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:34 PM
  #93
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,409
vCash: 500
I think Filppula will be well worth it very soon, but I'd say this contract is a bit out of the ordinary for Detroit. They haven't given out such a long contract to a player that young.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:36 PM
  #94
Heaton
Moderator
#hope
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 18,700
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
I think Filppula will be well worth it very soon, but I'd say this contract is a bit out of the ordinary for Detroit. They haven't given out such a long contract to a player that young.
They did it with Kronwall just a few years ago.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:42 PM
  #95
Payaso619*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Mexico
Posts: 4,135
vCash: 500
Is this really surprising that Detroit got once again another great deal done?

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:46 PM
  #96
dtones520
Registered User
 
dtones520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 3,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
I understand Holland's work perfectly. I was speaking about the Hossa signing in isolation, which I could've brokered.

The scenario reminds me about a story of how Beethoven played a purposely shoddy passage on the piano and everyone at the concert applauded wildly because of his reputation and their lack of critical evaluation. Not every move by a genius is a work of genius. Holland's great work in assembling the Wings and making prudent signings enabled him to accept the deal, but the negotiation itself was a piece of cake and not praise-worthy in the slightest.



They're pretty equal now, but the market's changed, and when Datsyuk got his deal he was widely considered a playoff no-show. Zetterberg is under completely different circumstances. Hell, Datsyuk wouldn't have signed Datsyuk's deal if he were an FA next year - his contract was considered high when he signed it.
When was Datsyuk's deal ever considered high when he signed it? With the money thrown around at Free agents that following summer Datsyuk would have been the highest paid guy on the market. He took less to stay in Detroit and that, at least in my opinion, was known at the time. I couldnt believe he signed for less than $7 million.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are best of friends, I wont be surprised if Zetterberg signs a similar deal. He will probably sign for more, but I get a feeling he signs a $6.7 million per year deal.

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:52 PM
  #97
KevinP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat View Post
Dumping Hudler now would be absolutely moronic. The guy improves his speed and skating every year, and gets better in both ends all the time. His growth has been far superior to Flip's and it's a travesty he plays on the fourth line.

Hey, who else got into the NHL as an undersized skilled forward, was pigeonholed by hardass coaches, worked his ass off to improve his speed, skating, and strength, and became an elite player? I'll give you a hint: He plays for Tampa Bay.

I'm with you all the way. I am convinced that Huds is a point per game player given the proper ice time. I'd keep him over Filppula any day.

KevinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 05:07 PM
  #98
dtones520
Registered User
 
dtones520's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 3,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
I'm with you all the way. I am convinced that Huds is a point per game player given the proper ice time. I'd keep him over Filppula any day.
What has Hudler done to convince you that? He has been given plenty of opportunity to make Detroit's 2nd line on a regular basis and hasnt been responsible enough defensively to do so. Hudler finished 5 points better than Filppula last year while playing over a minute more per game on the powerplay. Is Hudler a better Wing than Franzen, Hossa, Holmstrom, Cleary? No. Is he a better Center than Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula? Not in my book. Thus his 4th line status on the Wings.

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 05:08 PM
  #99
John Belushi
Registered User
 
John Belushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,464
vCash: 500
Will be overpayment for the first year, but mark my words, just the like the Kronwall signing Filpulla will soon make this long contract look like a steal.

John Belushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 05:09 PM
  #100
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 47,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtones520 View Post
When was Datsyuk's deal ever considered high when he signed it? With the money thrown around at Free agents that following summer Datsyuk would have been the highest paid guy on the market. He took less to stay in Detroit and that, at least in my opinion, was known at the time. I couldnt believe he signed for less than $7 million.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are best of friends, I wont be surprised if Zetterberg signs a similar deal. He will probably sign for more, but I get a feeling he signs a $6.7 million per year deal.
The search function isn't allowing me to go back and retrieve posts, but I distinctly recall that number being considered high, when it was signed, for a player who had yet to deliver in the post-season.

Even ignoring that for the moment, if you believe Datsyuk took less to stay in Detroit by taking 6.7 mil per in 2007's market with playoff questions, do you not think it's a tad unreasonable to expect Zetterberg to sign for roughly the same amount given 2009's inflated market and his recent Conn Smythe?

Warm Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.