HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Crosby

View Poll Results: Crosby? Would he be worth it?
Yes 5 38.46%
No 8 61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2004, 03:24 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Crosby

Would you all be in favor of a total rebuilding process and Dumping everyone to get as bad as we would have to get to have a shot to draft Sydney Crosby next year.

I voted no because even thought some are saying that he could be the next Gretzky type phenom, I fear that is mostly hype. I dont doubt that the kid may be a great player, but the only way that I would want to get that bad would be if he truly is the next Gretzky or Lemieux and after thinking about it since there are no guarantees I am not willing to take that chance.

Also with the Blues luck even if we did this and finished last we would loose the damn lottery.

What do you all think?

Old
06-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Would you all be in favor of a total rebuilding process and Dumping everyone to get as bad as we would have to get to have a shot to draft Sydney Crosby next year.

I voted no because even thought some are saying that he could be the next Gretzky type phenom, I fear that is mostly hype. I dont doubt that the kid may be a great player, but the only way that I would want to get that bad would be if he truly is the next Gretzky or Lemieux and after thinking about it since there are no guarantees I am not willing to take that chance.

Also with the Blues luck even if we did this and finished last we would loose the damn lottery.

What do you all think?
With the numbers he has put up, his skill is off the hook. I mean a 16 year old tossing it hard core w/ kids older then him... I wouldn't mind a sell off to get bad, but there is no guarentee that we would get him and could wind up w/ the 5th pick....

Is it worth the risK. Yeah, I would sell Walt, Weight, Demitra, but not Pronger.

Heck, maybe we can just start Divis every game and keep the core and still have shot at getting him w/ the 1st pick.

Old
06-11-2004, 03:33 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
With the numbers he has put up, his skill is off the hook. I mean a 16 year old tossing it hard core w/ kids older then him... I wouldn't mind a sell off to get bad, but there is no guarentee that we would get him and could wind up w/ the 5th pick....

Is it worth the risK. Yeah, I would sell Walt, Weight, Demitra, but not Pronger.

Heck, maybe we can just start Divis every game and keep the core and still have shot at getting him w/ the 1st pick.
I was tempted to agree, what made me go the other way was that I fear that even though his numbers are off the charts and he could be the next Gretzky type, the logical part of me says that players of his callibre dont come along that often. Our generation was extremely lucky to have Gretz and Lemieux at the same time. I think just guessing that he will be more like the next Hawerchuk or Lafontaine. Yes a great player but not one I blow up the whole team just to have a chance to get.

Old
06-11-2004, 03:35 PM
degroat*

No.

He is worth it as far as his abilities are concerned. But, even finishing last overall won't come close to guaranteeing us him.

Old
06-11-2004, 09:26 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1

Or we could reacquire Turek, or maybe Brent Johnson.

Old
06-11-2004, 09:28 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
Or we could reacquire Turek, or maybe Brent Johnson.
Lets suit Jim Hrivnak ip again for one season and make him the starter. That guy was the worst goalie that I saw play for the Note.

Old
06-11-2004, 09:38 PM
markus1

Send a message via AIM to markus1
Aaargh!! Well, I want to change my vote. I voted "no" on accident (actually I'm just an idiot).

I've been thinking about this for awhile. The Blues have tried these mini-rebuilds before. Where has it gotten us?

I say, if we are going to rebuild then go for it. Stick to it and see how things work out. Even if we never got our hands on Crosby, we'd be better for it in a few years if we went into the rebuilding process the entire way...

Old
06-11-2004, 10:23 PM
kimzey59

I voted no for several reasons.
1) Even if we finish in last place there is no guarantee that we'd win the lottery for first overall.
2) I am thoroughly against being a bad team. As Calgary proved this year, Anahiem and Minnesota last year and Carolina the year before that, all you have to do is make the PO's and then anything can happen. I'd rather take one more shot at the Cup with our current core(with a few secondary scorers added to the mix) before blowing it up.
3) Crosby has incredible skill, he is also a midget compared to most hockey players. It may be true that some small players can be good but for the most part smaller players have very little success at the NHl level(and most have the words "hurt me" writen on their forheads). Crosby may still grow a bit but he isn't going to grow enough to be even an averaged size player at the NHL level. Smaller players are high risk and IMO we should not through the team into the gutter based on a risk(of any kind).
4) IF the team starts to stink, the fans won't go to the games. If the fans don't go to the games then Laurie might sell the team, and that could mean a move to another city. I would much rather be mediocre and HAVE a team than be bad(in order to get a high draft pick) and lose it.

Old
06-11-2004, 11:30 PM
degroat*

Crosby is 5'10 and is 16 years old. That's not exactly a midget.

Old
06-12-2004, 12:38 AM
markus1

Send a message via AIM to markus1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
Crosby is 5'10 and is 16 years old. That's not exactly a midget.
Good point, I'm 5'9" 1/2 and I'm 25.

Looks like I'm a midget...

Old
06-14-2004, 03:01 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59
I voted no for several reasons.
1) Even if we finish in last place there is no guarantee that we'd win the lottery for first overall.
2) I am thoroughly against being a bad team. As Calgary proved this year, Anahiem and Minnesota last year and Carolina the year before that, all you have to do is make the PO's and then anything can happen. I'd rather take one more shot at the Cup with our current core(with a few secondary scorers added to the mix) before blowing it up.
3) Crosby has incredible skill, he is also a midget compared to most hockey players. It may be true that some small players can be good but for the most part smaller players have very little success at the NHl level(and most have the words "hurt me" writen on their forheads). Crosby may still grow a bit but he isn't going to grow enough to be even an averaged size player at the NHL level. Smaller players are high risk and IMO we should not through the team into the gutter based on a risk(of any kind).
4) IF the team starts to stink, the fans won't go to the games. If the fans don't go to the games then Laurie might sell the team, and that could mean a move to another city. I would much rather be mediocre and HAVE a team than be bad(in order to get a high draft pick) and lose it.
I agree with all your points except for the one about Crosby's size. If he has the heart which I am sure he does to make it as far as he has with all the hype. I just think he wont reach the Gretzky Lemieux like height that some are heaping on him already. Although it would be great for the game if he did. Even the NHL wount be Stupid enough to miss the boat on marketing someone that good.

Closed Thread