HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's Build Next Year's Team - First Pairing Right Defenseman

View Poll Results: Who should be the First Pairing Right Defenseman for next years team?
Wade Redden 63 75.90%
Michal Rozsival 16 19.28%
Daniel Girardi 2 2.41%
Dimitri Kalinin 0 0%
Paul Mara 0 0%
Thomas Pock 1 1.20%
Corey Potter 0 0%
Michael Sauer 1 1.20%
Other (please list below) 0 0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
come on don't make inferno mad...take it serious, bub!
I have tremendous amount of respect for people who start more threads about line combos, especially in July

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 04:13 PM
battlerex99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
I understand the argument about people wanting to keep the L/R shots balanced correctly between pairings, but what about offensive vs. defensive capabilities?

As I see it, Redden & Rozsival are both primarily offensive defensemen (though Redden is a good two-way guy, his best asset is his first pass), and Staal & Girardi are both defensive defensemen.

Does it really make sense to pair our two best offensive defensemen together on the 1st pair, and then our two best defensive defensemen together on the 2nd pair? That limits all the offensive abilities to the 1st pair while making them a liability in their own zone, and does the exact opposite to the 2nd pair.

Something tells me it's going to be Redden on the 1st pair, Rozsival on the 2nd, then Staal & Girardi split between the other two slots depending on who they play better with.
Girardi scored 28 points in his first full NHL season? If anything he's a two way defenseman... not a primarily defensive one.

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 07:06 PM
tlallstar6

i'd like to see staal paired up with Redden to start the season

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 07:50 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Redden. I think Staal and Redden are going to form the best top pairing in the East next year.
i wish.. i am still hoping rather than sure about Redden.. plus chemistry..

i did vote for Redden

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerex99 View Post
Girardi scored 28 points in his first full NHL season? If anything he's a two way defenseman... not a primarily defensive one.
Regardless of his point totals, he's still primary a defensive defenseman. I don't see Girardi as a guy who will jumpstart the transition with his first pass, whereas Redden can do that, and Rozsival can do it better than Girardi as well.

What you neglected to mention was that Girardi's offensive production came at the expense of his defensive play, or at least in my opinion it did. Girardi is the type of player who will best serve the team in a shutdown role, similar to the role Staal will likely be filling for the next few years as he develops.

Regardless, Redden & Rozsival are still the team's two best offensive defensemen, and I feel the Rangers would be best served having them on separate pairings.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
I understand the argument about people wanting to keep the L/R shots balanced correctly between pairings, but what about offensive vs. defensive capabilities?

As I see it, Redden & Rozsival are both primarily offensive defensemen (though Redden is a good two-way guy, his best asset is his first pass), and Staal & Girardi are both defensive defensemen.

Does it really make sense to pair our two best offensive defensemen together on the 1st pair, and then our two best defensive defensemen together on the 2nd pair? That limits all the offensive abilities to the 1st pair while making them a liability in their own zone, and does the exact opposite to the 2nd pair.

Something tells me it's going to be Redden on the 1st pair, Rozsival on the 2nd, then Staal & Girardi split between the other two slots depending on who they play better with.
it's not just the way they shoot, it's their positions. no one would vote Jaromir Jagr as a left wing, I don't know why people are voting Wade Redden as a right defenseman.

besides, Staal-Rozsival, Redden-Girardi still acheives the balance you desire.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Rozsival.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 09:16 PM
NYR Viper

girardi has an above average break-out pass.....pearn and renney have spoken on it before saying his breakout pass is very underrated and is up there with some of th best in the league....he just isnt flashy about it and doesnt spring players for breakaways before this season because there werent any players who were flying the zone...

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 09:24 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Redden.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 09:10 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
girardi has an above average break-out pass.....pearn and renney have spoken on it before saying his breakout pass is very underrated and is up there with some of th best in the league....he just isnt flashy about it and doesnt spring players for breakaways before this season because there werent any players who were flying the zone...
among the best in the league?

come on, get real.

if he has such a good breakout pass, why were the Rangers absolutely dreadful on the transition last season?

even if you're right, that's still ignoring my main point, which is that pairing Redden & Rozsival, our two best offensive defensemen, together, would be counter-productive.

Old
07-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
it's not just the way they shoot, it's their positions. no one would vote Jaromir Jagr as a left wing, I don't know why people are voting Wade Redden as a right defenseman.

besides, Staal-Rozsival, Redden-Girardi still acheives the balance you desire.
I never said it didn't. What I said was that Redden & Rozsival shouldn't be on the same pairing, I never said it had to be Redden-Staal.

Old
07-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I think Redden is the obvious choice. Wow guys, summer is really getting to you. No need to argue over a poll. Man preseason can't get here soon enough.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote