HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good article bt Wigge on Blues web site

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2004, 03:59 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Good article bt Wigge on Blues web site

www.stlouisblues.com Its a good read check it out.

Old
06-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Frenzy1

I think this was a well written article and I agree w/ the points about last years draft.

Has anyone else noted the Pronger has said that he believes the Blues need to rebuild AND is willing to wait provided they have a plan....

Personally, when I read that quote (not in this article, but...) I believe that one of the core Players as defined in the past by Pleau (Weight, Walt, Pronger) maybe on the way out (rebuilding). I hope it is Weight but maybe it does include Walt or Demitra.....

Since rumors are that Weight vs. Pronger-Walt in the lockerroom, I think it will be Weight.

Old
06-11-2004, 08:50 PM
guitaraholic*

again I inferred from that article that the Blues feel the biggest need they have going into the draft is prospects up front, not on defense... and while I think trading Demitra is a foregone conclusion (he's played his last game in St.Loo, IMO) to only get a 2nd rounder for him would be

Old
06-11-2004, 09:24 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
again I inferred from that article that the Blues feel the biggest need they have going into the draft is prospects up front, not on defense... and while I think trading Demitra is a foregone conclusion (he's played his last game in St.Loo, IMO) to only get a 2nd rounder for him would be
If we get a second rounder, I believe it would be part of a bigger package. I found that part of the article shocking. I think the Isles would have had to give us more.

Old
06-11-2004, 11:28 PM
degroat*

The only thing said about this draft in the article:

It’s clear that the Blues immediate need is scoring after grinding to a halt in timely goals in the first round of the playoffs against the San Jose Sharks. And this is a draft that, while not as strong from top to bottom as last year’s, has enough names to help Kekalainen and Co. perhaps come up with a couple of scorers not far away from the NHL

If Pleau can fill an immediate need with this draft, then by all means draft a scorer. Somehow I doubt he's going to be able to do that unless he manages to trade up to the 1st overall pick.

Old
06-12-2004, 12:02 AM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
The only thing said about this draft in the article:

It’s clear that the Blues immediate need is scoring after grinding to a halt in timely goals in the first round of the playoffs against the San Jose Sharks. And this is a draft that, while not as strong from top to bottom as last year’s, has enough names to help Kekalainen and Co. perhaps come up with a couple of scorers not far away from the NHL

If Pleau can fill an immediate need with this draft, then by all means draft a scorer. Somehow I doubt he's going to be able to do that unless he manages to trade up to the 1st overall pick.
I'd love to see you have the nads to put your money where your mouth is: I'll make you a deal, if you're correct and the Blues draft a dman with their first round pick, I'll stop posting here. If you're wrong, after all your bluster and sarcasm and crap when others express an opinion contrary to yours on this topic, you will in turn stop posting here.
Put something on the line and back up your loudmouth act, son.

Old
06-12-2004, 12:12 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
I'd love to see you have the nads to put your money where your mouth is: I'll make you a deal, if you're correct and the Blues draft a dman with their first round pick, I'll stop posting here. If you're wrong, after all your bluster and sarcasm and crap when others express an opinion contrary to yours on this topic, you will in turn stop posting here.
Come on guys, is this really nessisary?

Old
06-12-2004, 12:12 AM
CuSa_1

Quote:
I'm gonna have to shoot this one down. The board is better with the two of you here. Guitar, this is a childish act. I don't think that stich was taking a shot at you.

Old
06-12-2004, 01:05 AM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
I'm gonna have to shoot this one down. The board is better with the two of you here. Guitar, this is a childish act. I don't think that stich was taking a shot at you.
Stich is childish so he gets it right back at him. If he insists on talking smack and insulting people when they disagree with him then let's see him back up his verbal spewage with something tangible. Of course he doesn't have the gonads to do anything but talk, but that's another matter....

Old
06-12-2004, 08:01 AM
degroat*

LOL. I insist on insulting you when you're the one that called me a jackass how many times?

Are the jackass comments why you disappeared for a while? Did you get banned from this board for a while?

Or, did you disappear because 210 called you out for lying about having tapes for AHL games and you felt as dumb as he made you look?

I never once said the Blues WILL take defense. I said that they should. But, if you'd be willing to leave if they take defense, you're more than welcome to. You sure wouldn't get any complaints from me.

Feel free to threaten to beat me up now.

Old
06-12-2004, 11:30 AM
CuSa_1

alright we're starting clean here, from now on let's pretend nothing has been said to each other.

So the first one to step out of line will be "at fault".

For god's sake :playnice:

Old
06-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
... and while I think trading Demitra is a foregone conclusion (he's played his last game in St.Loo, IMO) to only get a 2nd rounder for him would be
Considering Demitra:
1. Will be UFA-eligible after 2005,
2. Is arbitration-eligible,
3. Could easily make $6.5 million again in '04-05, putting him out of reach of over half the teams,

... then a 2nd round pick may well be all we can get right now - not because Demitra's talent is equivalent to a 2nd-round pick, but because of the uncertainty going forward.

Now...say we know whether or not there will be a salary cap, we know what the cap number will be, and the 2nd team can strike a deal with Demitra for 5 years, $25 million in a move similar to what we did with Weight. *Then* you can ask for a 1st, a 3rd, and a high-level prospect because everyone knows what the playing field will be.

Personally, I think the Blues should qualify him and see what happens in arbitration unless they get knocked over with a deal at the draft.

Old
06-12-2004, 10:21 PM
CuSa_1

Personally I think we have to qualify demitra if a deal isn't worked out by the draft.

Old
06-13-2004, 10:55 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Considering Demitra:
3. Could easily make $6.5 million again in '04-05, putting him out of reach of over half the teams,

... then a 2nd round pick may well be all we can get right now - not because Demitra's talent is equivalent to a 2nd-round pick, but because of the uncertainty going forward.

Now...say we know whether or not there will be a salary cap, we know what the cap number will be, and the 2nd team can strike a deal with Demitra for 5 years, $25 million in a move similar to what we did with Weight. *Then* you can ask for a 1st, a 3rd, and a high-level prospect because everyone knows what the playing field will be.

Personally, I think the Blues should qualify him and see what happens in arbitration unless they get knocked over with a deal at the draft.
Agreed.

I've noticed a lot of interest in Demitra among fans of other teams on the Trade Rumors board, but fans, alas, aren't the ones making the deals.

I say see what comes up at the draft. If no one wants to make a move for Demitra then, qualify him and go to arbitration. If I understand the arbitration process correctly, the arbitator has to decide between what the Blues wish to offer and what the player wants; one or the other. So if the arbitration award is too high, the Blues can walk away but maintain a right to match any offer more than 80% of the arbitration award.

If this is the case, the Blues can't lose at arbitartion, because there's no way the arbitrator is going to give Demitra more than $8 million under any circumstances. 80% of $8 million is $6.4 million, or pretty much exactly what the Blues have to qualify Demitra with. If Demitra gets that much, the Blues can match any offer up to Demitra's current salary, for alll intensts and purposes. Or they can let him sign with someone else and take the compensatory pick, which will probably be a second-round pick, based on previous compensatory pick awards.

Either way, a second-round pick may well be all the Blues can get for Demitra.

With over $11 million coming off the books for next year (Weight's contract goes to $7 million from $9 million; Macinnis at $6 million retires; Mellanby at $2 million retires; Finley at $1.4 million retires), the Blues can afford to keep Demitra around even at an (arguably) inflated price of $6.5 million.

B.

Old
06-13-2004, 11:45 AM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

I'd agree that the Isles will give more in return. The only thing is that in order for there to be a deal, money has to go back in the other direction. I'm thinking like Parrish and Ninnimma or Hammer going back to St Louie. Or possibly Peca and a lesser player.

Old
06-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947
I'd agree that the Isles will give more in return. The only thing is that in order for there to be a deal, money has to go back in the other direction. I'm thinking like Parrish and Ninnimma or Hammer going back to St Louie. Or possibly Peca and a lesser player.
If the Blues could deal Demitra to the Islanders for Niinimaa and Parrish, I'd be all over that like hair on a gorilla. I don't see that happening from an Islanders' POV, however...

Old
06-14-2004, 03:05 PM
c-carp

I would do the Peca and a lesser player deal in a heartbeat.

Old
06-14-2004, 03:58 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Considering Demitra:

I agree completely.

The Blues are not the only team in this situation by the way. IF the Isles were to trade Peca, Hamrlik, or Aucoin right now, they would not come close to getting fair value. Expensive vets, especially vets coming off relatively poor years, probably don't have huge market value.

Closed Thread