HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Knuble to Columbus

Old
07-30-2008, 02:52 AM
phlocky

vCash: 500
I honestly don't think this is very far fetched at all. Hejda is a decent 2nd pairing guy. CBJ just traded for 2 dmen form NYR and the signed one so they DO have some flexability in dealin him. Hejda is a nice player but he is what he is. He has only 2 years experience at 30 years old. He skates pretty well and can carry the puck well. He can start a rush up ice but he won't bring much offensively. He won't score much and he won't set too many up. He plays sound defensively and is positionally good. He's 30 so he's not getting any better. He's a solid defensive dman on the 2nd pairing who can start the rush and carry the puck. He's NOT a top pairing guy on even an average defense. If he's on your 3rd pairing you probably have the best defense in hockey over the past 20 years. Dmen like this are not a dime a dozen but they aren't scarce either.

Looking and CBJs current roster I think they are short on RWs correct? They NEED RWs. Knuble would mnost likely be their 2nd line RW though they MAY try him on the top line because the guy CAN still score, it's just his skating that has declined a bit. He's still money on the PP and I guarrentee he;d immediately make CBJ's PP much better. He alone would probably raise it a few percentage points. That's nothing to sneeze about. Knuble is at the tail end of his career. At 2.8 mil he's still a bargin for what he brings to the table. Next year he can probably be signed for less than 2 mil, the man isn't greedy and is just great in a lockerroom. He's fine a 2nd line RW and 1st unit PP. I personally think it's a stretch for him to play 1st line minutes but that's just me. The man brings much more than just his on-ice scoring, he's a leader on the ice and in the lockerroom. He's one of the best players I've seen in front of the camera. ANY team in the NHL would count themselves lucky to add Knuble to their lockerroom. The only question you have to ask is what price you are willing to pay to get him.

I could easily see this deal getting done. I'm not certain which way the pick would go. I'm not entirely sold that it was CBJ giving up the 4th and not Philly. I could see it going either way. From Philly's perspective, if they were to trade Knuble for Hejda then I could see Kukkonen either sent down or traded. Then I think the Flyers would sign Shanny for about 1.75 mil. Out would be Knuble (2.8 mil) and Kukks (875k) and in would be Hejda (2.0 mil) and Shanny (1.75 mil) for a net increase in cap of 75k for the Flyers.

Also, right now Parent is our 3rd best defensive dman. THAT should scare the hell out of Flyers fans. The kid may be good someday but he's not ready to be thrown to the wolves and have to cover for the defensive liability that Jones represents. Hejda would be a HUGE improvement for the defensive capabilities of our 2nd pairing.

Last edited by phlocky: 07-30-2008 at 03:00 AM.
phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 03:05 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Well...I think you guys gave into the artificial value spike of Umberger and then gave him a pretty hefty salary...I know Columbus is always looking for centers, but I don't think Umberger is the answer...I didn't really like that deal, I think that trade + contract are not in Columbus' best interest...

I'm a big Fedor Tyutin fan, but there's no reason to trade Z after he finally started to get it...he has some of the best offensive talent in the league, Tyutin is a second-pairing defensive defenseman, I think Z is a top line scoring winger...Backman is more or less useless...

And then you're banking on Gilbert Brule being a bust in that Torres deal...I know Brule hasn't been too hot, but he's only 21 and if he gets half as good as his hype, a borderline 2nd/3rd liner in Torres isn't gonna look like a good return...I don't blame ya for taking a chance there, assuming Brule doesn't pan out, but it's a pretty risky move, IMO...

And then this deal would make 4 (I won't talk about the Lindstrom deal because that's small change) that you guys come up on the short end on, or at least potentially...but I mean, obviously, just my opinion, but I don't really believe Columbus, organizationally speaking, is benefitting too terribly much from these moves...and Hejda + pick for Knuble would just be pouring salt in the wounds...

I understand that you don't like the contract the CBJ gave to Umberger but you do realize that with what they signed him ofr, that is the compensation Philly would have recieved from and offer sheet that sized but it would have been for the 09 draft which is suppose to be a much better draft class than the 08 draft. If that was Umbergers price (actually set by CBJ, not anything over inflated by what the Flyers THOUGH he was worth) then giving up a 1st and 3rd in 08 was a much better deal for them than giving up a 1st and 3rd in 09. Looking at it that way they really didn't get bent over in that deal.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I'd include Kukkonen, and still do it in a heartbeat.

Timonen-Coburn
Hedja-Jones
Vaananen-Eminger
Guenin

With Parent and Ramholt on the Phantoms, I guess. That would be a hell of a lot better than last year's team, and it would open a spot at forward for someone like Matsumoto or Maroon to make the team.
Parent?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Well...I think you guys gave into the artificial value spike of Umberger and then gave him a pretty hefty salary...I know Columbus is always looking for centers, but I don't think Umberger is the answer...I didn't really like that deal, I think that trade + contract are not in Columbus' best interest...

I'm a big Fedor Tyutin fan, but there's no reason to trade Z after he finally started to get it...he has some of the best offensive talent in the league, Tyutin is a second-pairing defensive defenseman, I think Z is a top line scoring winger...Backman is more or less useless...

And then you're banking on Gilbert Brule being a bust in that Torres deal...I know Brule hasn't been too hot, but he's only 21 and if he gets half as good as his hype, a borderline 2nd/3rd liner in Torres isn't gonna look like a good return...I don't blame ya for taking a chance there, assuming Brule doesn't pan out, but it's a pretty risky move, IMO...

And then this deal would make 4 (I won't talk about the Lindstrom deal because that's small change) that you guys come up on the short end on, or at least potentially...but I mean, obviously, just my opinion, but I don't really believe Columbus, organizationally speaking, is benefitting too terribly much from these moves...and Hejda + pick for Knuble would just be pouring salt in the wounds...
This is a funny post. You admit there are two ways each deal could go, then assume that it will go whatever way makes it work out worse for Columbus.

Old
07-30-2008, 09:26 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

Mike Knuble is probably pretty enticing to Hitch...

but probably worth only a high end pick to Howson.. maybe a second rounder? I don't see him having a sport in the top six after next year. Might be a guy you could use for the year then dump if we aren't in the playoffs.

I have heard Howson say Hedja would be a guy he builds the defense around. I am a huge fan of Jan.. he just gets it done night in, night out. We are not really in a position to have too many untradeable assets.. but I wouldn't part with Hedja for Knuble. 25+ goals would certaiinly help us, no lie.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 10:47 AM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Parent?
On the Phantoms with Ramholt? We may be asking too much of the kid to be a 2nd pairing defenseman immediately for what is supposed to be a Cup contender. He would be the first call-up, obviously.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtznr0th View Post
Hatcher will start the year on LTIR, no cap issues.

There is already a spot for Giroux on the team.
Makes sense but I think it makes sense for both teams...CLB could use another Forward and Philly has tons of young ones top replace Knuble

Would LOVE the Rangers to get him

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:05 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Makes sense but I think it makes sense for both teams...CLB could use another Forward and Philly has tons of young ones top replace Knuble

Would LOVE the Rangers to get him
too bad neil smith dealt knuble, or was it sather when he first got here, i cant remember.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
On the Phantoms with Ramholt? We may be asking too much of the kid to be a 2nd pairing defenseman immediately for what is supposed to be a Cup contender. He would be the first call-up, obviously.
I do not mind if he plays about 40 games in AHL. I am sure Homer will move Kukkonen or maybe both Vaananen & Eminger will not work.

Phantoms D is going to be great with Parent, Ramholt, Syvret, Ratchuk, Bartulis maybe Bodrov

Old
07-30-2008, 11:23 AM
mercury

Quote:
I do not mind if he plays about 40 games in AHL. I am sure Homer will move Kukkonen or maybe both Vaananen & Eminger will not work.

Phantoms D is going to be great with Parent, Ramholt, Syvret, Ratchuk, Bartulis maybe Bodrov
Yes, the Phantoms D is going to be fantastic. I hope that they have enough scoring, though. We could use a few more center prospects and some better goaltending prospects.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:43 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
Im thinking if this rumor is true, which I have my doubts I would think The Flyers could flip Kukkonen to CBJ as well. Knuble and Kukkonen for Hejda and the 4th. making a deal like this w/o dealing a defenseman gives the Flyers 8 NHL defenseman even with Hatcher on LTIR.
Yeah that wouldn't be a bad idea. I think the CBJ should just stay put though.

They have the beginnings of a pretty interesting top-6 with Umberger, Nash, Filatov?, Brassard, Voracek, Modin, and Huselius assuming Hitch doesn't murder Huselius in training camp. Then you have some nice 3rd line guys like Chimaera, Malhotra, and Torres. Decent D corps with Klesla, Hejda, Tyutin, Backman, and Russell who's supposed to have some high-end potential. And then LeClaire as G.

So I mean, I'm not going to pencil them into the playoffs or anything, still need another top-6 C IMO (Umberger doesn't cut it), but they're definitely a team on the rise and Hitch is a good coach.

This rumor makes no sense for them.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

This would be an awful deal for Columbus, Hejda is a really solid defenseman. Knuble's a good powerplay guy at this point, but that's all, and he's not getting any younger. His other specialty is killing his team's powerplay by taking random penalties.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 01:42 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Hitchcock and Howson love Hejda.

They just signed him to a great 3-year $2-million per deal.

Trading him would pull Kris Russell or Christian Backman into the top 4.

Hitchcock and Howson have repeatedly talked about building NHL-caliber depth in Columbus.

They're not going to sacrifice one of the best dmen from the group (i.e. if they're going to reduce the dmen, it'll be a guy like Methot, Tollefson or Rome who goes).

They're not trading Hejda. Period.

Trading for Knuble could make sense for Columbus.
Trading Hejda to get him makes ZERO sense for Columbus.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 01:53 PM
flyguy1234*

Knuble would be great for the Columbus PP and might even get top 2 line playing time with the Blue Jackets, but I'm not sure his age would help his case too much here. I don't think Columbus is trying to make a run in the next 2-3 years, so I have to wonder what the point of bringing on Knuble would be. I like this deal from a Flyers perspective, Hejda would be a fantastic 4-5 defenseman for Philly.

flyguy1234* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 02:57 PM
King Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookatSbisa View Post
Knuble would be great for the Columbus PP and might even get top 2 line playing time with the Blue Jackets, but I'm not sure his age would help his case too much here. I don't think Columbus is trying to make a run in the next 2-3 years, so I have to wonder what the point of bringing on Knuble would be. I like this deal from a Flyers perspective, Hejda would be a fantastic 4-5 defenseman for Philly.
Hejda would not see a pinch of third pairing time in Philly. He would be a rock solid 3-4. He is exactly what we need or should be looking for. Our 3,4,5,6 defenceman are Vannenan,Eminger,Jones,Parent,Kukonen(not in any order). That is not a cup contending defence.

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish View Post
Hejda would not see a pinch of third pairing time in Philly. He would be a rock solid 3-4. He is exactly what we need or should be looking for. Our 3,4,5,6 defenceman are Vannenan,Eminger,Jones,Parent,Kukonen(not in any order). That is not a cup contending defence.
Well last season we had Smith, Hatcher, Vandy (for a short period), Jones, Kukkonen

we went to EC finals.

against Pittsburgh Hatcher and Jones became #1, #2 while Smith became #3

Old
07-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Richyrich

Quote:
Well last season we had Smith, Hatcher, Vandy (for a short period), Jones, Kukkonen

we went to EC finals.

against Pittsburgh Hatcher and Jones became #1, #2 while Smith became #3
You're forgetting modry as well...

The defensive core as is is better than last year's group... a move for a player like hedja may put this team over the top

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 08:44 PM
ELab2

Eklund says top Flyers source says this is BS

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16379

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
Eklund says top Flyers source says this is BS

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16379
Dang that means there's something to it

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 08:49 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Stupid deal for Philly, the last thing we need is another 3rd pairing defenseman. I only get it if we're going to flip Hejda or another one of those guys (Jones maybe) in another trade.
agreed...hedja may be slightly better then kukonen...knuble scored 30 goals, kills penalties, can play lines 1-3 and plays PP (obvious strength)...i know a lot of flyers fans would dump him for next to nothing but aside from his 30 goals they would become a very small team in a very tough division...he is the only forward over 6'3" and 230lbs.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 09:00 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
.he is the only forward over 6'3" and 230lbs.
he hardly uses that size anymore. the last time he REALLY hit someone it was Shanny and it was an accident. he's not to good at work the boards anymore either

Old
07-30-2008, 09:08 PM
lancer247

Quote:
he hardly uses that size anymore. the last time he REALLY hit someone it was Shanny and it was an accident. he's not to good at work the boards anymore either
first, i just got read the riot act from a buddiy in ohio...i guess i seriously underestimated hedja...i'll have to catch more then a dozen or so games this season...

i think you may underestimate the work he did in the corners on carter's line w/ upshall...while knuble isn't a force physically he still demands attention on the PP down low...

if hedja is as good as i am being told then it is a no brainer then replace knuble w/ shanny on a one year deal and maybe we can finally win some shootouts.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 09:10 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
first, i just got read the riot act from a buddiy in ohio...i guess i seriously underestimated hedja...i'll have to catch more then a dozen or so games this season...

i think you may underestimate the work he did in the corners on carter's line w/ upshall...while knuble isn't a force physically he still demands attention on the PP down low...

if hedja is as good as i am being told then it is a no brainer then replace knuble w/ shanny on a one year deal and maybe we can finally win some shootouts.
on the PP your certainly correct.

I also got chewed out well earlier in this thread so don't feel too bad about it.