HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Peek at Sather's plan?

Old
07-30-2008, 11:21 PM
FutureGM97

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
A Peek at Sather's plan?

I am bored. I was reading our friend Eklund who says that the Rangers and Habs are Sundin's 2 finalists. I am not expecting this to happen nor do i care if it does. This is just a possibility. Not trying to be JOrts...none of that. Its just a thinking.

So lets imagine this. Sundin chooses the Rangers. Glen Sather has to clear cap space, naturally. He trades Prucha and Rozsival (I know he just signed. Just go with it) to some team for prospects, picks, or anything else that won't count against the cap. Sundin signs a 1 year deal and signs an eeeny weeny discount at $6 million to play with his buddy Markus. Heres the lines...not for chemistry purposes..just to put names

Naslund-Sundin-Sjostrom (it could happen )
Drury-Gomez-Zherdev
Fritsche-Dubinsky-Dawes
Callahan-Betts-Orr
Rissmiller
Voros

Redden-Staal
Mara-Girardi
Potter-Kalinin

Spend the extra 600k from the Prucha and Rozsival salaries to bring Potter up.

Ok so lets say the roster going into the season (not bad). The cap hit is

Let us fast forward to July 1st of next year. Sundin leaves either through retirement or free agency. Kalinin, Mara, Rissmiller, Betts, Orr, Vally, and Pock are all UFAs. Subtracting all those salaries (based on Sundin being at $6 million) and the salaries of the RFAs...the total salary coming off the books is $21.186 million. Lets assume there is no cap increase. There probably will be but I'm not going to get into those numbers.

Obviously idk if this will happen but lets say Bouwmeester doesn't like where he is, whether it is FLA or on a another team after being traded at the deadline. Hes looking for $8 million (just a number for argument's sake). Rangers re-sign these RFAs:

Zherdev @ $4.5/year
Dubinsky @ 2.5/year
Fritsche @ 1.5/year
Sjostrom @ 1/year
Dawes@ .825/year
Callahan @ .725/year
Potter @ .8/year
That adds up to $11.85 million for our RFAs leaving us with $9.336 million in cap space

Rangers go after Jay Bouwmeester to fill out the defense @ $8 million/year (for however long). That will leave the Rangers with 1.336 to do w/e.

09/10 season

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev
Dawes-Dubinsky-Drury
Sjostrom-Anisimov-Fritsche
Callahan-Betts-Voros

Redden-Staal
JBo-Girardi
Potter-Sangs

Henrik
Wiikman/whoever

Sets things up so that Staal comes off the books and will get a decent salary and by the time Zherdev and Dubinsky come off the books Drury is off and maybe some others.

I AM NOT SAYING THIS WILL HAPPEN NOR DO I CARE IF IT DOES. IT IS JUST SOMETHING I NOTICED THAT COULD HAPPEN. ITS A LONG SHOT BUT IT IS STILL A POSSIBILITY. I AM NOT JOrts!!!!! ALL OF THESE NUMBERS ARE MADE UP AND DO NOT INCLUDE A RISE IN THE SALARY CAP. ALOT OF THINGS WOULD HAVE TO FALL INTO PLACE FOR ALL OF THIS TO HAPPEN.

ITS JUST A POSSIBILITY.

enjoy

Last edited by FutureGM97: 07-30-2008 at 11:30 PM.
FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

i think if Sundin signs it will be at a very cheap deal, i think all that will need to be gone is Prucha and Rissmiller and Bing Bang, we got a Naslund-Sundin-Drury 1st line.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:29 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Very interesting post, although I don't quite see JBo getting 8 million unless he absolutely lights the world on fire. Your 09 lineup doesn't even consider Cherepanov possibly coming over, which would make the team that much better. An unusually high quality post from you JOrts

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:41 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

What if Sather takes a more hardlined approach.

He trades Chris Drury for up cheaper sniper wing like Cheechoo and uses the extra cap to sign Sundin.

Naslund - Sundin - Cheechoo
Dawes - Gomez - Zherdev
Fritsche - Dubinsky - Callahan
Voros - Betts - Orr/Freddie

Doesnt have to be Cheech. Maybe Boyes or Brown.

07-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
What if Sather takes a more hardlined approach.

He trades Chris Drury for up cheaper sniper wing like Cheechoo and uses the extra cap to sign Sundin.

Naslund - Sundin - Cheechoo
Dawes - Gomez - Zherdev
Fritsche - Dubinsky - Callahan
Voros - Betts - Orr/Freddie
You've been reading that thread in the Trade/Rumors forum haven't you.

Like I said in that thread, if Drury was traded, it'd have to be to a team that needs to add some salary or needs some veteran leadership. However, getting Drury to waive his NMC to go to a team like that, who is probably in the basement or a small market, would be pretty much impossible.

San Jose has an internal cap and are tight up against it. Don't think Drury at 7 mil interests them. Think teams like Florida, LA, Vancouver or Atlanta. All of which would be a very tough sell to Drury I'd imagine.

Drury, Prucha, Rozsival to FLA for Horton and Jaybo!!

Drury, Prucha + Rangers 1st to LA for Frolov and LA's 1st!!!

..those are joke proposals by the way. No need to point it out.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:53 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
You've been reading that thread in the Trade/Rumors forum haven't you.

Actually no.

But doesnt Drury live near LA in the off season?

How about Drury and Prucha for Dustin Brown?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2008, 11:58 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Actually no.

But doesnt Drury live near LA in the off season?

How about Drury and Prucha for Dustin Brown?
Done.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 12:09 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Just remember Sundin could easily be gone next year. Which leaves the hole at center.

Brown Dubinsky Cherepenov
Naslund Gomez Zherdev

I think I just had a little orgasm

Old
07-31-2008, 12:13 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Rozsival wasn't signed to a long term contract to trade him before he even starts it. It just ain't going to happen. Especially to make room for a player who may only be on the roster for one year.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 12:32 AM
The Thomas J.*

I just can't see how Sundin fits into the Rangers plans after all the moves Glen made, this team as a whole, more the forward lines seems mish-moshed together.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 12:36 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Whats with that sig TTJ? Gotta see the glass half full. A least until the guy plays some games...

Old
07-31-2008, 12:44 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Sundin to the Rangers, 1 Year, 500k (plus 4 million under the table).

Get it done slats.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 12:59 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 10733
The whole Sundin thing is so unlikely that I actually expect it to happen.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:02 AM
Nemchinov13

if we trade Roszival, we will create a big hole in our defense. And then we would have to scramble and probably overpay to fill the hole. Tyutin's departure via the Zherdev trade has made a hole in our D, but thankfully, Mara has chosen to re-sign and we took a flyer on Kalinin. And I'm not sure Sundin's offense will cover up potential deficiencies that would've been created with Roszie's departure. Up until the last half a season and playoffs, Roszie has been our defacto #1 defenseman.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:04 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Sundin to the Rangers, 1 Year, 500k (plus 4 million under the table).

Get it done slats.

funny thing is, Dolan is such a Scum Bag that he probably told Slats to do that

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:05 AM
FutureGM97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
if we trade Roszival, we will create a big hole in our defense. And then we would have to scramble and probably overpay to fill the hole. Tyutin's departure via the Zherdev trade has made a hole in our D, but thankfully, Mara has chosen to re-sign and we took a flyer on Kalinin. And I'm not sure Sundin's offense will cover up potential deficiencies that would've been created with Roszie's departure. Up until the last half a season and playoffs, Roszie has been our defacto #1 defenseman.
how? Just move either one of Kalinin or Mara up and put Potter on the 3rd pairing. The whole point is to get rid of a defenseman so Bouwmeester will have a spot on the team.

Old
07-31-2008, 01:20 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
how? Just move either one of Kalinin or Mara up and put Potter on the 3rd pairing. The whole point is to get rid of a defenseman so Bouwmeester will have a spot on the team.
Only the camp will tell if Potter is an NHL-ready defenseman. It's easy to speculate now, but we have a tendency to overrate our prospects. I certainly wish for Potter to be a regular for the Rangers, but only time will tell. However, as the state of the Rangers is currently, Roszie is still our #2 defenseman (behind a questionable Redden) and Potter is an overachieving AHL defenseman with a shot at NHL. And Bouwmeester... I don't know. I don't have a problem with your math and I would love to have JBo on the team, but if Zherdev is going to play to his potential or at least as good as he did last year, I'm sure he's going to ask for more than $4.5M (or else he'll go back to Ukraine or KHL)... The problem with the team is that it already carries a bunch of multi-year, multi-million contracts - Gomez, Drury, Redden, Lundqvist... If I'd want to add another similar contract (huge, multi-year) to that list, I'd rather have Staal over JBo. And that's where my main issue lies - if we sign JBo next year to a Redden-type contract, we wouldn't be able to afford Staal. I view Staal as a frachise defenseman a la Adam Foote, only better.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:21 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

So in the near future you want to pay J-bo 8M$ a year to play on the second pairing?

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:31 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
funny thing is, Dolan is such a Scum Bag that he probably told Slats to do that
I don't know how anyone can say hes a *******. Hes not the smartest owner in the world but he does dig deep into his (or daddies) pockets for us NY sports fans even if the money was wasted.

And if that was the case don't you think Jagr would have signed for 3 Million with 8 going under the table? ;-)

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:33 AM
FutureGM97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
So in the near future you want to pay J-bo 8M$ a year to play on the second pairing?
like i mentioned in the post....i just put players into lines and pairings to show who was on the team...its not where they would necessarily play on the ice. No to answer ur question.

Old
07-31-2008, 03:56 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Why not take Zherdev off the second line and insert Voros? Then we have all 3 players as American, you know, that definitely makes the line better if all 3 players are from the same country.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 09:16 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Rangers go after Jay Bouwmeester to fill out the defense @ $8 million/year (for however long). That will leave the Rangers with 1.336 to do w/e.
What has Boumeester done to warrant 8M a year?

I think the defense is set for the near future. Staal still needs to be extended. Redden is hear for the foreseeable future.

And while Rozsival might be dealt, I don't see it being now when he's just resigned. That sends an awful message to potential UFAs.

And I thnk ultimately Slats' target is going to be Kovalchuk.

07-31-2008, 10:02 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What has Boumeester done to warrant 8M a year?

I think the defense is set for the near future. Staal still needs to be extended. Redden is hear for the foreseeable future.

And while Rozsival might be dealt, I don't see it being now when he's just resigned. That sends an awful message to potential UFAs.

And I thnk ultimately Slats' target is going to be Kovalchuk.
Now we just need to make Drury understand that he needs to go the way of the Dodo to free up necessary cap space for a player truly deserving of a high salary. Either that or Gomez but I would like to have Gomer center Kovy.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:04 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Now we just need to make Drury understand that he needs to go the way of the Dodo to free up necessary cap space for a player truly deserving of a high salary. Either that or Gomez but I would like to have Gomer center Kovy.
You're not getting rid of Drury. And nor should you.

And how do you "make Drury understand this"?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 10:17 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You're not getting rid of Drury. And nor should you.

And how do you "make Drury understand this"?
If we want Kovy he will definately command between $7.5-$8.5 mil

We already have:
Drury @7
Gomer @7
Lundy @ 6.75 about
Redden @6.5
Rosy @ 5.5 or 5 can't remember right now
Staal @ ? but chances are it will be over $4

remember these are all long term contracts. Putting another Big contract at long term would be horrible cap management.

Now out of these:

Lundy - no way we trade
Staal - No way we trade

Redden - Salary and years makes it highly unlikely we can trade him

Rosy - If he plays well we could maybe move him... if not there is no way we can and it will leave our d thin again.

Drury- Possibility we can trade him if he waives NMC. Would probably have some value especially to teams looking to keep near cap floor while saving money since he is frontloaded. Plus we have an abundance of centers. gomez, Dubi, Ani, Fritsche, Betts, Moore, Korpi can play center, Pyatt, Dupont, Stepan, Grachev (i think) where he will not be missed. Leadership isn't a problem as Gomez is a leader, and Dubi has obvious leadership skills, so does Cally if he still here. Plus we still have redden.

Gomez - Same as above, but problem is is that he is our only true playmaker. he would be the one to play w/ Kovy. He would be easier to trade and would could probably fetch more than Drury. I would do a Gomez + prospect + pick for Kovy in a heartbeat, and just hope that Ani becomes a good playmaker in a couple years to keep feeding kovy. Having your top three wingers of Kovy, Zherdev and hopefully cherry sounds awfully intoxicating.

as for the second part: this is the hard part and I absolutely have no clue. Make him an offer he can't refuse?" But more than likely you would probably have to say to him listen if you don't accept the trade you will just sit in the pressbox. You have to force him out probably. I know its not good PR and people on the boards will say (well nobody would want to come to NY anymore that's a FA) but just be realistic. We have plenty of prospects right now and our team is pretty much set for a while where we won't be big players in FA for a while, and two. WE are the freakin NYR. We will always a top choice of where to land, we always have been, always will be no matter who is running the team. Contractual problems happen to all teams in all sports and sometimes you just have to force a player out. it really is not a big a deal as some people think it is.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote